PDA

View Full Version : Deer hunters everywhere, unite!

kcmax
11-13-2000, 08:56 PM
Well, a day and a half until firearm season opens here in Michigan. I'm pumped up! 2 losses in a row have really got me in the mood to kill something! I've been hunting about 10 years now, and have yet to kill a buck. Hopefully, my luck is about to change.

Good luck, hunters!

kcmax
11-16-2000, 09:19 AM
Well, 2 days, 1 doe, NO F%$^%^% BUCK!!

This is turning out to be just like the chiefs frustrating season.

kcred
11-16-2000, 09:21 AM
Enjoy it while you can! After Gore steals this election, you lose your weapons & right to hunt.

G_Man
11-16-2000, 09:25 AM
*In a mongoloids voice*

Yayuh, Gore's gunna take away yore guns an ban huntin' everwhair in the U.S.of A.!!

Come back to reality. You're being ridiculous.

kcmax
11-16-2000, 09:34 AM
I have to say I agree, Clint. Gore himself is a hunter.

kcsammy
11-16-2000, 09:34 AM
From one hunter to another - GOOD LUCK!!

We are an outdoors family. My nephew has been teaching his sons to use a tree stand. He gets very funny looks when he uses the palm tree in his yard to show the kids how it's done!! He hunts primarily with a bow and arrow. Give me the good old shotgun!

The only legal deer in our area is those with spikes of at least 6 inches. How does it work in your area? I know your deer are larger than ours. Ours will only field dress to about 60 to 75 pounds on average.

Keep us posted!!

kcred
11-16-2000, 09:35 AM
Clint - pot, kettle, black.

kcsammy
11-16-2000, 09:38 AM
From one hunter to another - GOOD LUCK!!

We are an outdoors family. My nephew has been teaching his sons to use a tree stand. He gets very funny looks when he uses the palm tree in his yard to show the kids how it's done!! He hunts primarily with a bow and arrow. Give me the good old shotgun!

The only legal deer in our area is those with spikes of at least 6 inches. How does it work in your area? I know your deer are larger than ours. Ours will only field dress to about 60 to 75 pounds on average.

Keep us posted!!

kcmax
11-16-2000, 09:38 AM
Thanks Dan. The one I got yesterday was probably FL sized, but pretty slim pickings.

Aluminum ladder was wet, nearly killed myself getting out of the stand.

The doe I got last year dressed at 122 lbs, my dad has gotten them over 200lbs. Here in the midwest, they have lots of good stuff to eat.

[This message has been edited by Mi_chief_fan (edited 11-16-2000).]

47mack
11-16-2000, 09:40 AM
What's up with the deer in FL? All the ones I've seen are about the size of a big dog?

------------------
It looks I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

kcsammy
11-16-2000, 10:00 AM
The largest buck I have ever seen personally is a 12 point that field dressed about 100 pounds.

I am sure back in the remote cypress heads there are probably bucks no one has ever seen. Need hounds to flush those out, but those old bucks are smart. They will circle around you, confusing the dogs and allowing the doe and fawns to slip away safely. The cutest thing I have ever seen while hunting was a day when we were using hounds. The main chase had passed when out came a young beagle chasing a fawn no bigger than him. I guess he liked his chances better with one his size!

My parents used to hunt in the Arizona high country. My mother once got an eight point that dress in the 145 pound range. Big difference in size!

kcmax
11-16-2000, 10:06 AM
Dan,
My wife hates it when I tell her how smart a buck is compared to a doe. http://63.249.247.210/ubb/smile.gif

At this point, the 12 point could dress less than 100 lbs and I would be happy.

BTW, not sure if I would try the swamps of FL.Something about gators & venemous snakes.

I have a buddy who lives in AZ, and he spends alot of time Elk hunting in the high country. That sounds like fun to me. Would love to get an Elk.

Snapper
11-16-2000, 10:12 AM
Mich,

I have been bow hunting every weekend..my brothers and I are after a huge 14pt..I had him into 60yards last weekend, but he saw me wiggle..the dumb ones don't get big..I'm sitting above 2 scrapes, so I think one of my brothers or I will get him..it is exciting to see such a maginificent animal so close...

tree huggers..If we weren't supposed to eat animals, GOD wouldn't have made them out of meat...to steal a quote http://63.249.247.210/ubb/wink.gif

shotgun season in 3 weeks in Iowa.

Gaz
11-16-2000, 10:16 AM
Ironically the biggest buck in Iowa history was killed by a car. How smart is that?

Snapper
11-16-2000, 10:20 AM
mylo,

it was probably hit during the rut..so it was probably technically a "woman's fault"..think? http://63.249.247.210/ubb/smile.gif

kcmax
11-16-2000, 10:23 AM
Iowa,
I've scoped the same buck the last 3 years. He keeps changing up on us. Very few scrapes this year, but he's HEAVY. Leaves an imprint the size of a small horse.

You must be in anopen spot if he saw you wiggle at 60 yards, or this is the smartest deer ever recorded by mankind. Your right though, ones that size have a great deal of wisdom. People who think deer hunters are dumb hicks should give it a try sometime. I don't think they realize the skill involved.

Snapper
11-16-2000, 10:28 AM
mich,

it was a small opening in a timber draw, along the bottleneck of 3 trails...excellent spot, but they have to be about 30yrds for a shot..

the same buck for 3 years?...i did the same thing and last year a city guy hunting with the rich guy who bought an adjoining farm got him...i was sick...but it was an amazing animal up close...i helped him track it..

If you are having trouble seeing the buck, put up a scrapedrip(it drips when temp rises 10deg.)...it will help change his pattern if he cycles at night..about 5 days and he'll drop by your stand in the moring..

Gaz
11-16-2000, 10:29 AM
Iowanian,

Just funnin at ya. I am a duck hunter, never done the deer thing cause the seasons conflict.

I do hunt spring turkeys with a bow though.

kcmax
11-16-2000, 10:34 AM
I thought about that, but he's not even scraping on my property anymore, he's on my neighbors, and they're what you referred to as a "tree hugger", and won't let anyone hunt, or even track, on their property.

Wish they'd sell out & move.......

Wish I could hunt with an .06, unfortunately, i'm stuck with using a 12 guage.

kcmax
11-16-2000, 10:36 AM
How do you hunt turkeys with a bow? Isn't the idea to hit them in the head? If so, you really should try bowhunting deer; your probably a good shot.

If I were shooting a bow, I couldn't hit water if I were in a boat.

Snapper
11-16-2000, 10:37 AM
myl,

I know you were funnin'...us yahoo's will do that now and then.

I never have duck hunted..it just sounds so darn cold...(ironic that i don't think sitting in a tree in the sleet and wind is?)

I turkey hunt, but not with a bow..but i do have a fall tag if one wonders under my bow stand....ironically turkeys are roosting 50yrs from my deer stand, and I see tons of deer from my turkey blind....go figure.

kcmax
11-16-2000, 10:42 AM
It's funny Iowa, because one evening last season, I was up in my stand, and simultaneously 6 turkeys flew up to their roosts in the trees, none more than 25 yards form me.

If I had birdshot, I would have gotten all 6.

Milissa
11-16-2000, 10:49 AM
if you're gonna whack a turkey w/a bow, you have to be good and lucky...i have a hard time even drawing my bow back w/o spooking the birds...
bow hunting's the best, i think...
sec

htismaqe
11-16-2000, 10:56 AM
Ahhh, what a wonderfull morning....

I log on and find the second best topic after football http://63.249.247.210/ubb/biggrin.gif

Mi,
Rifle season opened her in MO, last saturday. Not sure how it works everywere else, but here we got deer coming out the whazoo. your allowed 1 anydeer tag, plus 2 bonus doe tags.

Missed a 12 point sunday morning, but as luck would have it, he ran down the fence line straight to my father in law http://63.249.247.210/ubb/frown.gif
But I did get a 8 point and 1 doe on monday evening. Only got 1 more tag to fill.

All the talk on here makes me miss Wyoming. No Elk hunting for me this year http://63.249.247.210/ubb/frown.gif

kcmax
11-16-2000, 10:59 AM
John,
Spoke to one of my uncles in West Plains, he said the herd there was outstanding. Always is. He got a 10pt.

Must be nice.........

Milissa
11-16-2000, 11:06 AM
between 11 guys who camped on the river down the road from me last weekend, they tagged 18 deer...still wont put a dent in the herd.
sec

kcsammy
11-16-2000, 11:06 AM
My nephew loves to bow hunt. He has killed a turkey with a bow.

During off season, just for fun, sometimes when he takes his boys fishing, he will take his bow and arrow. Ties fishing line to the arrow, sits on the dock and shoots the fish!!

He has a great time with his boys! Hunting and fishing is a great pastime for families. Anyone who has experienced it, hasn't lived!!!

htismaqe
11-16-2000, 11:08 AM
MI,
Funny part about mine is I almost didn't go monday morning. Wife is working nights, and had to work late so she didn't get home till 7am, good 45minutes after sun up. I was pouting about it, and she said go anyway, so to I figured what the heck, I didn't want her feeling bad about me not going, so I went out anyway. (only have to walk 50yds behind our house)

Hadn't been in my spot 10minutes when along comes a nice doe. Shot her from less than 10yds. after she went down I stayed put for a few, when along comes her boyfriend....

hehe 2 deer in less than 10minutes http://63.249.247.210/ubb/biggrin.gif

kcsammy
11-16-2000, 11:10 AM
My nephew loves to bow hunt. He has killed a turkey with a bow.

During off season, just for fun, sometimes when he takes his boys fishing, he will take his bow and arrow. Ties fishing line to the arrow, sits on the dock and shoots the fish!!

He has a great time with his boys! Hunting and fishing is a great pastime for families. Anyone who has experienced it, hasn't lived!!!

Milissa
11-16-2000, 11:10 AM
bow fishing's a blast...2years ago i stuck a 35lb flathead in the salt river. dont remember much of it though. my appendex ruptured while i was down there, and that's where they found me. spent over a month in the hospital. they had to pull my guts out 2times and wash them cause of gangrene(sp?).

still cant keep me out of the woods...i love hunting.
sec

Gaz
11-16-2000, 11:12 AM
seclark,

You are correct, you not only have to be good to hunt turkeys with a bow but luck is also a major factor.

I read somewhere that only 2% of hunters that go after a turkey with a bow ever get one. I believe it.

kcmax
11-16-2000, 11:15 AM
When hunting turkeys with a bow, what kind of tip do you use, and do you still aim for the head?

Milissa
11-16-2000, 11:16 AM
mylonsd...that's a fact. i've even tried drawing the bow back and waiting for them to fly down from the roost...drives me up the wall, but i know if i get one, i've done something.
sec
cats, are easy(just kidding!)

kcmax
11-16-2000, 11:19 AM
LOL @ cats.

The other white meat..........

Milissa
11-16-2000, 11:21 AM
i've tried using a chuckit broadhead(1.25" cut), and i've tried judo points(spring loaded blunts)
i always aim for the central part of the body...head's too small, but w/all those feathers it's a chance wherever you aim.
sec

Gaz
11-16-2000, 11:21 AM
MI, the state I hunt in (Nebraska) requires a special type of broadhead. It has to have a certain amount of total blade measured in inches. In other words a standard deer broadhead does not usually have enough blade.

Some hunters use a special tip that expands when striking.

Snapper
11-16-2000, 11:22 AM
this is absolutley my favorite time of year...football, bow and shotgun deer seasons...and before the turkeys killed off the quail and pheasant, i used to enjoy that too...ahh yeahhhh...

reality..i'm stuck in a closed room sitting at a computer looking at aerial photos and drawing maps of farms I'd rather be hunting...cruel and unusual punishment...

but then spring and summer bass fishing tides me over..

Gaz
11-16-2000, 11:24 AM
ditto sec....I have aimed at the wrong place several times just to pick up an arrow with only feathers stuck to it.

I usually only shoot at 20 yards or under. I have passed up lots of shots hoping to get a better one the next day.

kcmax
11-16-2000, 11:25 AM
You guys must be good. I guess I never gave bows much of a chance. My father never taught me, because he only has 1 arm.

I shot one once, lost a couple of arrows, then gave it up. I'm really not sure how to get started.

Milissa
11-16-2000, 11:26 AM
hey iowa...is it true that if you have a lot of pheasants, the quail population will drop? the pheasants have really been getting thick around here, but quail hunting's gone down a little. some of the old men say you cant have them both in the same area...
sec

Gaz
11-16-2000, 11:27 AM
Find a local archery store and tell them you are just starting. The ones in my area are owned by hunters and they are honest.

For about $150 you can own a decent compound bow and target arrows.

htismaqe
11-16-2000, 11:28 AM
LOL
Mi,
I know how ya feel. My nephew got me started on bow hunting. Mainly so it gave me extra hunting time. Unfortunatlt I have yet to get a deer with a bow. Maybe this year.

Of course my newest wish is for a black-powder gun. Hoping Santa reads this BB http://63.249.247.210/ubb/biggrin.gif

Milissa
11-16-2000, 11:31 AM
mc...one of the best shots i've ever been around has only one arm...he uses a leather tab on the string, and he bites down on it to draw back. best shot in our archery league. it's amazing to watch.

i have a compound bow, and a hand-made longbow that i shoot real stone arrowheads on fired mississippi cane shafts. i like the old style the best, even if i cant shoot worth a rat's a$$.
sec

Snapper
11-16-2000, 11:33 AM
sec,

i do think thats true, but i have found quail eggs in turkeys...the turkeys are so thick, i think they whip both pheasants and quail numbers down...at home, there are very few birds..where i live now, there are pheasants, but not many quail...or turkey or deer...much more at home in the sticks http://63.249.247.210/ubb/wink.gif where yahoo livin' is good...here is high prairie farm land..not as much cover, but good for pheasant.

i started bow hunting about 4 years ago with my brothers...we fish, hunt and all of that, and once one of us did it...its now a pissing contest like everything else...good natured sibling rivalry doesn't hurt anyone..too often(anymore).. http://63.249.247.210/ubb/smile.gif

Milissa
11-16-2000, 11:37 AM
iowa...have you ever run over to ottumwa to the 3d archery shoot? i think they have at least 2 a year, and i always try to go to one of em. it's put on by some great guys, and it's an excellent course. 5 different trails, and you get to go at your own pace.

a really good time, and makes good practice.
sec

kcmax
11-16-2000, 11:39 AM
John,
Blackpowder is awesome. I use a Thompson 50 cal. Shoots nice; loud, but little kick, accurate& lethal.

Sec,
that's an interesting story. It would make for good reading in field & stream.

Actually, my dad could use a crossbow, but he never got around to getting one. He is, BTW, an excellent shot w/ a gun.

[This message has been edited by Mi_chief_fan (edited 11-16-2000).]

Milissa
11-16-2000, 11:43 AM
mcf...which one? the one armed archer, or my guts blowing up on me down on the river?
the guy's a high-school shop teacher, who lost his arm in a auger accident. i think he's even gone to europe to shoot in competition.
sec

Snapper
11-16-2000, 11:48 AM
sec,

i drive through ottumwa on the way home..i've never gone to a competition shoot..i've been going to stop at agency and shoot at the range there on the way...maybe i'll try to go to the next one??

kcsammy
11-16-2000, 12:40 PM
seclark,

There was a woman in the group I hunted with that shot from the hip like "Annie Oakley".
She got a deer every year!

When hunting was slow, we would skeet shoot. She still shot from the hip! No need trying to back her up, she never missed. Never liked her very much!!!

Man, this is relaxing and great for the soul!! Football and the great outdoors - it doesn't get any better! (No politics!)

Milissa
11-16-2000, 12:53 PM
iowa...i'll try to remember to let you know some dates. they send me a flyer in the mail every year. you can go thru the courses w/my group. it's really a lot of fun.

fldan...my grandmother still keeps her loaded pistol under her bed. none of the family is brave enough to try to take it from her. she's a great shot too.

sec

kcmax
11-16-2000, 02:45 PM
Actually, both of my parents belong to a black powder club, and each have won tournements. My mom shot the center heart out of the ace of hearts at 100 yards!

I think it might be luck........

Snapper
11-16-2000, 02:57 PM
sec,

do let me know..i'll need to make sure and get a new bow...i pretty much destroyed mine last weekend..but thats a long embarrasing story...its only an hour from both here and home, and I'd be happy to come down for a shootin' lesson...from a true Yahoo http://63.249.247.210/ubb/wink.gif

Milissa
11-16-2000, 03:02 PM
iowa...you're on, but dont expect much of a lesson from my group. when you trash an arrow, expect to get dogged. the summer before last, i climbed up in one of those stands, drew back and aimed at a mountain lion at about 30yards, and dry fired my new bow in front of everybody...forgot to knock the freakin arrow. i wasn't worth a crap for the rest of the day.
sec

Snapper
11-16-2000, 03:15 PM
sec,

it sounds like a fine time anyway..but i'll tell you now that I'm now William Tell..

I've always wanted to go to one of those, but it has never worked out..

is there one yet this fall or are we talking spring?

Milissa
11-16-2000, 03:23 PM
the one i go to is in august...it's an hour north of me, and we usually get there early(around 8am) so it's not too hot. we're done by around noon, but we take our time to go back to the trucks and re-group in between courses.
i still have your email. i'll send you some info when i get it.
sec
constantly in search of the elusive monster buck

chiefsfan58
11-16-2000, 03:36 PM
You guys are really making me miss deer season. Our season opened 10-10 and the Mrs. and I Filled our tags opening day. Two nice white tails.

I do have to drop these two pennies, The big ole bucks don't taste as good. I shot a big 5 point muley four years ago, (thats a 10 pointer for you dang easterners) Tasted gamey as all get out. One of the guys in our party shot a 27 by 25 non typical last year. It was nothing but a big mess of horns and meat so nasty you couldn't eat it.

Never the less I shot a two year old forked horn and Kathy shot a nice doe.

Snapper
11-16-2000, 03:47 PM
bois,

I wish i felt your pain..i actually typically getting the bambi with milk dripping from its mouth, while my brothers get the wall-hangers..

just trying to keep up in the sibling rivalry...and enjoy the great yahoo outdoors

Milissa
11-16-2000, 03:48 PM
little bambi always tastes better, but the macho, male, pig in me wants the antlers.
sec

Gaz
11-16-2000, 03:49 PM
I'll email anyone my address that wants to send me some deer sausage/sticks!

Snapper
11-16-2000, 03:57 PM
amen sec,

the @$$hole in me wants the antlers too!!

but i get the second tag for the bambi anyway..there are always plenty of bambi loins and jerky meat in December around my house.

good luck, but I plan on rattlin' in bambi's daddy saturday am..

kcmax
11-16-2000, 06:57 PM
Well, another unproductive day. No buck. No sign. (algore sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)!

Well, at least it's a paid vacation.

htismaqe
11-16-2000, 07:35 PM
Mi,
aww don't feel bad. Just got in myself. Just before sundown, got a Nice big doe. She went down, kicked and was still. so as I climb down from my stand, up she jumps and is gone......

No blood, nothing. too dark to trail, so guess I get to go tracking at daylight http://63.249.247.210/ubb/frown.gif<P>

chiefsfan58
11-16-2000, 09:35 PM
John,
Good luck there's nothing worse than losing an animal. I lost a little buck three or for years ago. I shot him he ran ten yards and fell, I left my rifle and walked down to him. as I got within 20 yards his head came up and I told the guy with me to finish him and he just looked at him. So, up he jumps and takes off like there was nothing wrong. No blood no hair nothing. He took off and kept going. It tore me up I hated that more than any thing. I knew I hit him hard but he took off and never fell again.

Snapper
11-17-2000, 02:10 PM
tired of politics, discouraged about the chiefs.

Have any of you guys seen/ heard of the infared heat tracking devices? I beleive they are specified for finding ducks..but i have a friend who uses it to track deer after a hit...and has used them pre-dawn to locate deer he can't see(though i'm not sure if its' legal)....it is awesome..it would solve most problems with finding deer..body temp must be 10deg. warmer than air(no problem now)..and within 1000yrds....costs around $300.

Gaz
11-17-2000, 02:20 PM
Wonder if it would work for turkeys in the spring.

Snapper
11-17-2000, 02:25 PM
myl,

it might work, if it will see a dead duck, it will probably be able to see turkeys..it makes a click sound that may spook live animals though, and they have to be moving pretty slow to pick up the heat.

Milissa
11-17-2000, 03:25 PM
iowa...i think they have them in the cabelas catalog, dont they? i might be thinking of night vision, but i know they had pics of a coyote in the dark...pretty slick, but very illegal using for certain animals, i bet.

the light bulb's burned out of my beer fridge in the garage, but i dont need no help finding anything in there...friday afternoon!!!
sec
good luck w/everybody that's hunting this weekend.

kcmax
11-17-2000, 05:40 PM
Their in cabela's. A bit pricey. We don't need them: we got 5 " of snow last night.

Still no buck...............

kcmax
11-18-2000, 08:21 AM
Man, it was COLD this morning. Missed a doe at abot 100+ yards, through alot of brush & into a stiff wind. Saw some buck sign, looks encouraging. I hope my luck is about to change.........

Mosbonian
11-18-2000, 11:48 AM
My kind of thread! I bought a new .300 ulta mag with a Leupold Vari-III 3.5-10x50 and had a timney trigger with a two pound pull installed on it. I am heading out next week for at least a couple of days to try to wack the monster buck. It has been VERY cold here in Montana with lots of snow so the bucks are starting to rut. I just picked up a new pickup this week so I need to "break it in" with a huge hairy forest creature loaded in the back. Good Luck and happy hunting!

Mosbonian
11-18-2000, 11:51 AM
My kind of thread! I bought a new .300 ulta mag with a Leupold Vari-III 3.5-10x50 and had a timney trigger with a two pound pull installed on it. I am heading out next week for at least a couple of days to try to wack the monster buck. It has been VERY cold here in Montana with lots of snow so the bucks are starting to rut. I just picked up a new pickup this week so I need to "break it in" with a huge hairy forest creature loaded in the back. Good Luck and happy hunting!

ColoradoChief
11-18-2000, 12:30 PM
I had 3 young doe's standing right next to my truck last night on this backroad, had to slow to a stop to make sure I didn't any of them. Oddly I have driven down this road twice, and both times have seen 2-3 deer.

Morphius
OK, I have never been hunting, but keep hoping to.

AustinChief
11-18-2000, 05:43 PM
I will be the official wuss boy of this thread.... the most I have ever hunted was rabbit with a .22.

But it was the most fun I can remember as a kid. Tracking a hopping critter and attempting to get that perfect bead - If I can generate that much excitement for a 2lb piece of meat I can only imagine the thrill of the big boy.

Good luck to all you guys. Give us the stories after you are done (like fishing stories, embellisment is optional).

kcmax
11-19-2000, 10:52 AM
Well, got another doe this morning. Nice girl, over 100lbs. Not a bad days work.

Still no antlers........

Russ, my relatives in the KC area say that it's a great place for deer. You should try it, it's nice getting outdoors for a while. I'm gonna try turkey's this spring for the 1st time.

kcmax
11-19-2000, 07:37 PM
Now that footballs over, anyone else wanna talk hunting?

I've never shot a damn Buffalo......

ColoradoChief
11-19-2000, 07:39 PM
Mi - I shot a robin with a BB gun last spring, it was having some kamikaze issues with my mom's kitchen window.

kcmax
11-19-2000, 07:40 PM
Did a bb kill it?

ColoradoChief
11-19-2000, 07:42 PM
Mi - No, but it did trash one of his legs pretty good, he disappeared shortly after.

kcmax
11-19-2000, 07:51 PM
Cruel. Does your mom have a cat?

ColoradoChief
11-19-2000, 07:52 PM
Mi - Nope, Dad is allergic to pets.

kcmax
11-19-2000, 07:55 PM
I LOVE cats!

AAAAHHHHHHH cats, the other white meat.........

ColoradoChief
11-19-2000, 08:02 PM
Mi - I would like dogs more if they came with mute buttons and would leave me the hell alone. Something cats do.

kcmax
11-19-2000, 08:05 PM
Yeah, but the idea of a litter box.......eeeeeewwwwwwww! http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/frown.gif

ColoradoChief
11-19-2000, 08:11 PM
Mi - Yes, but I don't have to ever clean up the floor, never have to let him outside, can leave him home alone for days at a time, I don't have to worry about the cleaning up the backyard before running around in it, don't have to worry about him waking up the neighbors, chasing cars ...

kcmax
11-21-2000, 09:49 AM
Well, day 6 in my quest for antlers only got me 1 thing: COLD!

We got up to 14" of snow over the past couple of days. Wish the damn lake would freeze already! :mad:

Anyway, i'll try again later.

Milissa
11-21-2000, 09:56 AM
i spent last sunday afternoon, parked in my truck between 2big bales of hay on the back side of my property...just sat in the truck and listened to the chiefs game. freakin wind was so strong, and the beer was too good. i didn't even want to get up in a tree.
at least i can get back out there w/the bow now...
sec

kc hopeful
11-21-2000, 10:26 AM
This topic is depressing me. This is the week I always go to my cousin’s place in Oklahoma for a couple of days of Deer hunting. Can’t make it this year. Good luck to all of you. Have fun and be careful. Fire good, falling out of a tree bad.

Snapper
11-21-2000, 10:34 AM
I went home with intensions of spending hours in pursuit of my buck...my dad had different ideas...farmer stuff..sorting cows, weaning calves, hauling hay, grinding feed, cutting wood, fixing tractors, moving machinery and building fence topped the "priority" list during my "days off"...but I have responsibilities more than hunting i guess...long weekend coming up, and something brown and hairy is going to die.

Milissa
11-21-2000, 10:48 AM
ok...i've just decided i'm taking off at noon...gonna go home and hunt till dark. i was at this stinkin machine till 2am this morning and then had to come in at 8.
later,
sec

kc hopeful
11-21-2000, 10:50 AM
Iowanian

Sounds like you've met my ex-wife :)

[This message has been edited by RCGChief (edited 11-21-2000).]

Snapper
11-21-2000, 10:52 AM
RCG,

do you mean that your ex was brown and hairy or had a list of laborous work to do at the most inopportune times http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

kcmax
11-22-2000, 03:45 PM
I was a bit confused by that myself. How'd it go Seclark?

Snapper
11-22-2000, 03:53 PM
I will hunt until one dies this weekend...

bambi going down down, down, bambi goin' down....drip bag has been hanging on a scrape, tomorrow is 5 days, my buck will be toolin' in around 7am i'm hoping..and boy is he in for a bad day.

kcmax
11-22-2000, 04:04 PM
I wish you all the luck in the world. Still hoping to see a buck.

Mosbonian
11-22-2000, 08:06 PM
If you guys want to see some big bucks, email me and I'll send you some shots of some local wall hangers. :)

bwana@dellnet.com

kcsammy
11-22-2000, 09:32 PM
Happy Hunting!!

Also, here's to a great Thanksgiving to you and all of yours from all of us "down south".

Good Luck to our Chiefs this weekend!!

htismaqe
11-23-2000, 10:34 AM
First off HAPPY THANKSGIVING to EVERYONE!!!!

Hope you all have a great one. Hopefully I they willsave me some leftovers so I can eat after work :(

Now for my hunting score ....

1 8point buck (4x for Bawana)
1 very large doe.

Aww but that 3rd tag is proving very difficult to fill. hunted all weekend, and have NOTHING, but some very cold feet. The main rifle season closed the 21st here in missouri. But will continue to try starting the 2 of Dec, during black powder season.

Bawana, Man I almost had placed those monster muleies out of my mind, not to mention ELK :( (god I miss wyoming)

Morph, Russ,
If you guys ever wanna give it a try, just let me know. Father-in-law has 300+ acres up here with fantastic hunting. Would be more than happy to introduce you to our heathen past-time :D

Mi, Iowain, sec GOODLUCK guys hope you get what your hunting.....<BR>

Tomahawk 11
11-24-2000, 09:47 AM
Venison is bad for those in closest vicinity.

"Roger" my old college roomate went deer "hunting" in a Arkansas deer camp and they have this bizarre ritual where the first bambi taken is immediately strung up, cleaned, and eaten --raw. Man 'o man those venison farts are the most disgusting odor ever imagined... all Roger could do was laugh --all the way to his own section of the house for a week.

kcmax
11-24-2000, 03:41 PM
I've heard of drinking the blood of the first kill, but not eating it raw. I'll pass on both, thanks. Especially here, where a number of deer are infected with Bovine Tuberculosis.

F. Gump
11-24-2000, 07:07 PM
Why bother with a gun?

I've gotten 7 over the last 4 years. Didn't even need a permit here in Kansas.

If you have a car, that's all you need!!

------------------
Remember Joe Delaney?
Some of us do and are acting on our belief that he was a hero.
This is a bandwagon that all are invited to jump on!!!

37 Forever

kcmax
11-26-2000, 07:10 PM
No luck here either!

The-Man
11-26-2000, 07:32 PM
Well after one of the worst losses ever in the history of the Chiefs organization, I fully expect you freaking Elmer Fudd's to keep this topic alive and near the top until next April's draft.

Wow... sounds exciting doesn't it :rolleyes:

[This message has been edited by Cannibal (edited 11-26-2000).]

kcmax
11-26-2000, 08:58 PM
Nah, season ends Thursday.

Maybe we'll create a new one for another season, just to make you happy, Cannibal.

After all, we all know that your being FORCED to read it, aren't you?

[This message has been edited by Mi_chief_fan (edited 11-26-2000).]

Snapper
11-27-2000, 09:32 AM
Well, since the Chiefs stunk it up more than coon bait, thought this "elmer fudd" would drag up the topic for an update...

Hunted twice every day of break...friday night finally got a doe...nice buck came in to 60yrds, but no shot...near dark got out of the stand and saw a deer walking in..it walked up to check me out from about 15 yards...when it started to walk away, I slipped in an arrow and grabbed my release..and whacked her...very cool experience to have a deer that close...

shot a "wabbit" saturday night...took 3 arrows....just for you cannibal...

shotgun season for next 3 weekends...I will get my buck yet...