PDA

View Full Version : Favorite toy as a kid....just for grins.

Snapper
12-01-2000, 09:30 AM
I think mine was a box of "lincoln logs" that my dad made when I was 5. They weren't exactly like the store bought, but gave us years of use...means alot more now than at the time...don't even remember most of the storebought stuff...

and #2 would probably have to be "stompers"..we tended to modify them, replacing the "aa" batteries with wiring to 9volt, large flashlight batteries and slot car triggers.....and mud pits or obstacle courses built from the above metioned box of building blocks.

KCTitus
12-01-2000, 09:32 AM
Minibike baby!!!!

BIG DADDY
Doesn't think there is anything better than that.

KC Jones
12-01-2000, 09:37 AM
So the Chiefs poor play has reduced us to nostalgia about our childhood Christmas toys... :(

BD,

funny, but a minibike was my favorite too...I got a little 50cc Honda when I was about 10...coolest thing I ever say...it only stood about two feet high but at that time it was street legal...ahhhh, the memories....now I'm sad again because that was also about the time the Chiefs were in their glory days... :(

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

KCWolfman
12-01-2000, 09:40 AM
Barbie... http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/tongue.gif

KC Hawke
12-01-2000, 09:48 AM
when I was 6 my folks bought me a die-cast Ford tractor that was nearly the size of a chihuahua(sp?) . . . living in rural Kansas, I was obsessed with tractors, especialy backhoes. Within about a year we moved to Oklahoma . . . and the tractor was stolen from our front curb.

When I was 10 I got a Diamond Back Silver Streak bicycle (Way Cool!) and Michael Jackson's "Thriller" Album . . . I think I may still have that album.

" . . . you wanna be startin' somethin', you gotta be startin' somethin' . . . "

Sweet!

------------------
C.R. Pants
(The Resident Liberal)

Jeff_000
12-01-2000, 09:52 AM
Anything Star Wars related. I had the Millenium Falcon, and AT-AT, Snowspeeder, Fett's ship, X-wing, etc.

I still have the Falcon and the AT-AT...those pieces of plastic are worth $800 each, if you can believe that!!!

#2 would have to have been a CD player I got in 7th grade. I was the first in my school to have one. It was the only way I got invited to parties.

MM
--All I want for Chirstmas is a Chiefs SB victory...guess I'll keep waiting.

KC Jones
12-01-2000, 09:57 AM
Marc, good thing I don't have those Star Wars things...I'd be $800 richer... http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

KCTitus
12-01-2000, 10:00 AM
I got a Honda 50 too when I was 6. My father took it away from me when I was 8 though because I hot wired it and was driving it around in the street when he got home. :( The next year though I got an XR 75 and started riding motocross.

BIG DADDY
Really likes motorcycles.

AustinChief
12-01-2000, 10:00 AM
Bob Dole's favorite was an electric dryer box. Put it upside down, cut a hole in the side...man, Bob Dole could crawl in and out of that thing for hours! Sometimes Bob Dole would even sleep in it.

Second best toy was one of those one gallon tin corn cans. Smack it with a stick and pretend you're Ringo, use it as a chair inside the dryer box, wear it as a hat...

Kurt Surber
12-01-2000, 10:03 AM
'The Green Machine' - a tricked-out 'Big Wheel' that steered from the back wheels by using paddles instead of handlebars.

The Tonka 'Fall Guy' 4x4 with jack, spare tire and winch.

Chief Joseph
12-01-2000, 10:06 AM
Hot Wheels. I must have had at least 100. Including the famous "Vette Van", which looks suspiciously like the Chevy Lumina minivan. I would play for hours in the dirt behind my house, making roads, tunnels, etc. I bought my boys(ages 9+10) Hot Wheels last Christmas and they asked me how come they didnt move by themselves...I almost told him "Back in my day..."

ColoradoChief
12-01-2000, 10:07 AM
I was going to say that CRP is one sick puppy, then I read Bob Dole's reply and decided there is proof that there are different levels of mental illness.

Like Mark M I had most of the Star Wars stuff, great stuff.

Snapper
12-01-2000, 10:09 AM
jc,

tonka fall guy truck....i remember having one of those..and you could change the tires...forgot all aboutit....it ruled...as did the tonka dumptruck, end loader and dozer.....

hot wheels and green army men in the dirt also occupied alot of time...
now that i think about it...our farm, little brothers, alot of cousins(many from the city) and a good electric fence were pretty entertaining :D

this thread is doing what i hoped..brightening up a gloomy day..thanks guys.

[This message has been edited by Iowanian (edited 12-01-2000).]

KC Hawke
12-01-2000, 10:14 AM
Johnny,

nearly forgot about the Green Machine . . . never had one but thought they were cool!

MrBlond,

I was really into the Hot Wheels thing my fav was the '57 Chevy . . . I had one in black and one in red.

" Kids are cute . . . so you won't kill 'em"
-Gallhager

Jeff_000
12-01-2000, 10:14 AM
58-
I'm working on that. Perhaps E-bay, but I'm so sentimental . . . .

Bob-
ROTFLMFAO!!! Man, those were the days! I think yours and Mr Blond make a great piont: Kids today have no imagination.

MM
--Remembers how a box, some string and magic markers could entertain for days.

mikey23545
12-01-2000, 10:21 AM
Rock-em Sock-em Robots, GI Joe with Kung Fu grip, 6 million dollar man doll.

JOhn
12-01-2000, 10:21 AM
One christmas I got a used styrofoam boat with a motor in the center that attached to a long wire. At the end of the long wire was a plastic helicopter looking thing with a rotor that turned (I think it turned). The there were 2 levers at the base of the boat that you could make the wire move up and down or stop as it went 'round & 'round the boat. The object was to "land" the chopper on the boat's helopad. Very cool stuff in the 70's. I think my dad had the most fun with it, though. :)

I also had some cool toys like Bob Dole. The big tractor tire filled with sand in the back yard brought both me and the neighborhood cats hours & hours of enjoyment. The used floorless canvas pup-tent that wreaked of moldy canvas was one of my favorite christmas presents and the used orange bicycle with the banana seat put many miles between the pavement and I.

Shootr
12-01-2000, 10:23 AM
LOL at #8 and #13. Senator, I guess I'm mentally ill also. Being in a military family, never had a shortage of big boxes everytime we moved...tanks, submarines, forts, spaceships, and didn't cost my folks a cent.<BR>

JOhn
12-01-2000, 10:27 AM
mrblonde,

Damn - I nearly forgot about hotwheels. I probably only had about 10 at any one time & most of them I think I found at various places/purchased at garage sales. However, we used to build cities in the pea-gravel under the swingset near our house. That was great fun!

Kurt Surber
12-01-2000, 10:28 AM
Omigod! I nearly forgot the immortal Evel Kneivel bike with the separate 'wind-up' doohickey.

autoxwes
12-01-2000, 10:28 AM
Oh boy, too many to list, but....

Stretch Armstrong - that gel filled stretchable muscle man. COOL

Matel Electronics Football 1 and then Football 2. Hand held game that had Red dots that moved around with 4 arrow on the "key pad" WAY COOL

The Green Machine was also one wicked piece of equipment :D

First motorcycle was when I was 11 or so and it was a 50cc Italjet (sp?). TOTAL motocross machine that was imported from Italy. Had a automatic tranny and would &$^cking scream!!!

Go-Kart with a 8hp Tecumseh that would also scream like a raped ape.

Hot wheels of course. Some are probably still buried in my parents yard from all the tunnels we built :D

MOre later ....

This is cool :D

AustinChief
12-01-2000, 10:31 AM
Bob Dole had the tractor tire with sand, too--had forgotten all about that. Got a Daisy air rifle one year, and hunting sparrows in the back yard filled more days than Bob Dole can count. Had a couple of Hot Wheels, too, and when it was too nasty to play outside, a box of flat toothpicks made for some great road building on the hardwood floors.

kcneo
12-01-2000, 10:33 AM
Gotta be Rock 'Em Sock 'Em robots! You punch 'em in the jaw, and their head pops up. Those old SST cars with the ripcord were fun too. I spent many a day playin' with Evel Kneivel and Big Jim's Wolfpack. Or how 'bout the big GI Joe? The one with the fuzzy head.
Star Wars (the original) miniatures and vehicles. I think I've stil got all my Star Wars figures. Man, those were fun!

rh :mad:
remembering the days BEFORE video games...

[This message has been edited by redhed (edited 12-01-2000).]

JOhn
12-01-2000, 10:33 AM
JC - I had 2 of those Evil Knievel motorcycles. Did I mention that they were USED?

Wis - The electronic football game that had a green case, yellow arrows, and tiny pixels that were representative of players? Hell, yeah - I had that. One of my only toys that ever came in it's original box. ;) I also picked one up recently in mint condition. I still play it sometimes and can still put up 50+ points for each team in a game....

kcneo
12-01-2000, 10:35 AM
How could I forget Legos or the Erector set?!?!<BR>

JOhn
12-01-2000, 10:37 AM
We used to take our BB guns and have wars. We'd put on those plastic baseball helmets you win at amusement parks if you can guess how fast you pitch a baseball on for protection. One time a kid got shot in the head and he pulled a bb out of his hair several days later during school. Those were the days....

Jeff_000
How come almost everyone else got go-carts, motorcycles and BB guns (used or not)? All I got was a Big Wheel that my parents left the noise maker off of (not nearly as much fun w/o the "motor" sound), a used ten speed and an air rifle.

MM
--Hated his mom being a nurse.

AustinChief
Bob Dole still plays with his Mattel electronic soccer sometimes. (Still have the full-sized GI Joe, too--not that little wimpy thing they tried to pass off later.)

ChannonChief
12-01-2000, 10:38 AM
Some of my favorites in no particular order:

Western Flyer Bike with purple banana seat

Honda 50 minibike (rode that thing a million miles)

Erector set with battery powered motor - I once hooked it up to a 110 volt outlet - ended up welding two pieces of the erector set together

Also had Stompers - I used the erector set to build a sled with advancing weight for the stomper to pull

Neighbors tree house

Bricky
Too much time on my hands today

Jeff_000
12-01-2000, 10:39 AM
And my Evil Kinevil mysteriously disappeard after I put a hole in the wall. Amazing . . .

Anyone else have a slot-less race car track or the old football games with the metal top that just vibrated?

MM
--Likes this more than this football season.

[This message has been edited by Mark M (edited 12-01-2000).]

autoxwes
12-01-2000, 10:40 AM
Damn, forgot about the bb gun. Shot my brother in the back once and you'd thought it killed him the way he wailed out and flopped on the ground. Got a major arss kick'n when my dad got home - OUCH

Dad would let us shot that thing indoors when it was dark or crappy out. We took a flat box and taped a bunch of towels to the back of it and then put the target on it. The towels kept the bb's from going through and we could recycle them. My old man was seriously into guns and motors and we reaped the benie's of it. FUN, FUN!

Can't believe I'm still alive some days :D<P>

AustinChief
12-01-2000, 10:40 AM
Bob Dole didn't get a minibike either, Mark. Bob Dole just about had the folks talked into it for his birthday ("But Daaaad...everybody ELSE has one...), then Bob Dole's best friend was out riding with another kid, fell off his and was killed when the other guy ran over his head (no helmet). Pretty much ended the minibike discussion.

KCTitus
12-01-2000, 10:44 AM
Phobia,
We used to have bb gun and pellet gun fights all the time. Then one day when we were playing war, me and this other guy ran into a garage and hid behind some boxes and someone else came in the garage. The other guy with me goes " I got him " and jumps up and shoots his brother in the eye. That was the end of the gun fights.

BIG DADDY
Still has a scar on my forehead from getting hit by a pellet in the head.

ChiefsFanatic
12-01-2000, 10:44 AM
I had one of those electric vibrating football games. Harder than hell to make it do what you wanted, but still fun. To give you an idea of how long ago that was, the teams depicted were the Jets and the Baltimore Colts after Super Bowl III. If I had just waited one more year, it would have been the Chiefs and the Vikings. Whew, I'm getting old!!

Kurt Surber
12-01-2000, 10:46 AM
On the Stompers thing, I remember the modifications as well. There was a point in 3-6th grade where it was an obsession at school. It started with someone putting in a 9 volt battery, then someone discovered something about changing the worm-drive gears, then taller [or fatter] tires, custom paint-jobs. Next came the semis. My dad was a EE and found me some 27 volt cell about the same size as the 9 volt [major street cred there].

The whole thing was like a miniature version of the monster truck circuit every day at recess.

ansonsdad
12-01-2000, 10:47 AM
I got a Rockem' Sockem'set for xmas (I think in '74). I'll bet my folks still have that thing. If you don't recall, this was a toy that involved two boxers (thugs) that you hand manuevered on a board. The right combination of pucnhes to the other boxers chin would send his head extending 4 inches upward which constituted a knockout. Played that thing for years.

ChiTown
~thinks he may hit the parents attic to look for the toy this x-mas

Jeff_000
12-01-2000, 10:48 AM
4ever--
Most of the fun in that game was setting up the players. Watching them bounce aimlessly about the board reminded me of the Chiefs of those days. I've had flashbacks this year . . .

Bob Dole--
That's why I never got anything with a motor until I was 16. With my sister, I probably wouldn't have lasted a week (ever seen South Park? My sister was like the one on that show--total bully).

MM
--Doesn't let his sister beat him up . . . lately.

AustinChief
12-01-2000, 10:48 AM
You mean like this one in Bob Dole's office, Mark?

http://tigger.tamut.edu/MIS430001/slent/image001.jpg

Jeff_000
12-01-2000, 10:49 AM
Dole--
NICE!! Mine had a green field, though. Does it still work?

MM
--Looking for a good game.

KC Hawke
12-01-2000, 10:49 AM
Damn! . . . how could I forget?!

Atari 2600 with the free "Combat" game

you have NO idea how long I had to play Combat until I convinced my folks Atari made other games.

AustinChief
12-01-2000, 10:50 AM
The only stomper toy Bob Dole ever had were the Romper Stompers... Surely someone remembers those.

AustinChief
12-01-2000, 10:52 AM
It works again, now that Bob Dole replaced the cord. Down to only 2 felt footballs left, too. (The one in the picture is a 1949 model that Bob Dole inherited from his father.)

autoxwes
12-01-2000, 10:53 AM
When I was in the 6th grade at Sullivan Village Elementary school in Lawton OK us stud 6th graders go to build those rockets that had the motor in them that was ignited by a battery hooked up to a match looking type of igniter. Remember those? Those damn things would go so high you couldn't see 'em till the parachute came out and then we'd have to run for "miles" tracking them down. :D<P>

KC Hawke
12-01-2000, 10:53 AM
Bricky,

I almost fell off my chair laughing when I read your Erector set story . . . that's a classic

KC_red
12-01-2000, 10:56 AM
I'm wondering what happened to the Hot Wheels that I used to have...
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=514624308

I still have a hand-held HeadtoHead electronic baseball game in mint condition.

http://auction1.inetu.net/member/amanda/headtoheadbaseball.jpg

Kurt Surber
12-01-2000, 10:56 AM
Actually, I think they were just Stompers. Romper Stomper is an early Russell Crowe movie about the Aryan Nation in Australia [sort of an Australian version of 'American History X' without the upbeat parts].

ChiefsFanatic
12-01-2000, 10:57 AM
The football game looked a lot like that one Bob. Seems like it actually had regular figurines. Had a little felt football and I believe a spring loaded kicker. Pretty cool!!!

KCTitus
WC,
I shoot those all the time with my godson. They are a lot of fun. I am also looking for a motorcycle for him right now

BIG DADDY
Is still just a big kid.

[This message has been edited by BIG_DADDY (edited 12-01-2000).]

KC Hawke
Cool . . . WisChief,

I lived in Lawton from '79-'92

Woodland Hills Elementary

Will Shields graduated from Lawton High School.

Where exactly was Sullivan Hills?

ansonsdad
12-01-2000, 10:58 AM
Disco

LMAO

I gar. my folks still have that one in their attic. That was a classic!

ChannonChief
12-01-2000, 11:00 AM
Mark M - I had one those slotless racing tracks. I think we could flip a switch on the controller and make the car switch sides.

Also had a bb gun and a Crossman air rifle.

Bricky
reaped the benefits of a brother 10 years older than myself who had a good job

autoxwes
12-01-2000, 11:01 AM
Sullivan Village is about a mile or two strait south of MacArthur High. My dad still lives in Lawton but its been about 6 years since I was there. Born there in 68 and left in 81 or so and moved to Joplin MO.

I remember that school like it was yesterday. Got my first kiss from a young lady there during a film in class :D

Damn this is fun!

Yosef_Malkovitch
12-01-2000, 11:02 AM
Ahhhh, the days when we all just used our imagination........

My favorite toys were almost always ones that were handmade.

1)My Grandpa made a wooden replica of old Municipal Stadium for my brother and I to play "baseball" indoors, whenever it would rain. He had etched into the outfield fences "single, double , triple" so that when you hit those that is the hit you got. We would put the Baseball cards of our favorite players in their positions and if your hit rolled across their card you were out.

2)Plastic ball and bat- from the time I can remember, we always had a plastic ball & bat. Games were always in our back yard, rain or shine. Playing in the rain, sliding into every base "ruled". You knew that the bat and the ball were never gonna get water logged & rain was always the great equalizer.

3)My 26 inch Western Flyer bicycle- Living in a small town this was an absolute must for every boy. We rode those bikes from Mosby to Excelsior Springs(12 miles away)almost every day during the summer.

4)GI Joe- What red-blooded American boy hasn't wanted one of these?

mark
just knows Morph will jump all over the age bracket thing

------------------
Kilgore is a noun, not a verb..

KC_red
12-01-2000, 11:03 AM
ChiTown - Yeah, I put batteries in it a while back and it started up with all of those crazy beeps and stuff. I'm amazed that it never got broken from frustration when two people were playing since they both had to hold it at the same time.

BB guns + LEGOS + Star Wars stuff = hours and hours of fun and a lifetime of regret. That Star Wars stuff is worth how much now!?! http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/eek.gif

AustinChief
JC -- They came from that obnoxious Romper Room television show, so Bob Dole was thinking they were called Romper Stompers.

Don't be a hair messy. Do be a hair neat.

Plastic army men, bb guns, and rubbing alcohol. Set up the army men in a mock battle scene, and then go across the yard. The bb gun was my artillery. Used the scope on the bb gun to hit only the grey (I had Americans and Germans) men. Then, around age 13, I found out that rubbing alcohol was flammable. Napalm!!! Oh my I burned so much stuff in the back yard. Rubbing alcohol was cheap, too. Less than a buck for a big bottle of it. The lady at Dillons must have thought that I disinfected the house every day or something...

Then one year I filled up a model airplane with black powder I'd filched from my Dad's muzzle loader stuff (he had/has all sorts of old stuff like that.) We left the nosecone off and stuck a firecracker inside it. When it didn't ignite, I (being the genius that I am) got down on my hands and knees and shoved a lit punk inside the thing. A cone of flame shot out and got my eyebrows, hair, and the back of my hand. I had to keep my hand in icewater for 2 days. I told my parents that a firecracker went off in my hand... they believed me. I never did tell them the truth. (continued)

[This message has been edited by Yosef_Malkovitch (edited 12-01-2000).]

12-01-2000, 11:04 AM
And the hotwheels.... my mom used to come home with tons of them. She'd get a box at a garage sale for 25 cents. We had two bricks in the backyard, and we used to play car smashing factory. Oh, the memories.

The best time was when my friend Craig and I were smashing them. We ran out of old hotwheels, so we grabbed my brother's stuff. My mom had him in the house and wouldn't let him out. He was in trouble for something, I don't remember what. So Craig and I set up our bricks right in front of the window. Mikey was pressed up against the window screaming as we smashed his cars one by one. Oh, was he pissed. But my mom was ignoring him, and just thought he was screaming because he wanted out. This was when I was about 12 and he was 8. For the next 5 years or so all I had to do to set him off was bring up how he had watched helplessly as his cars were reduced to crumpled little pieces. I guess I was kind of mean to him when we were little.

ChiefsFanatic
12-01-2000, 11:06 AM
The football game looked a lot like that one Bob. Seems like it actually had regular figurines. Had a little felt football and I believe a spring loaded kicker. Pretty cool!!!

ChannonChief
12-01-2000, 11:07 AM
Having more fun reading this topic than a barrel of monkeys.

Had that toy also..see how many monkeys you could hook together and pull out of the barrel. Not my favorite toy.

CRP: I later hooked the erector set motor up to a model RR transformer and solved the problem of buying replacement batteries (remember the batteries with the cat on them?)

AustinChief
12-01-2000, 11:08 AM
Cold Yosef... Geez.

Bob Dole built a cool carbide cannon. Used to shoot vegetables and stuff at cars with it some, but mostly just liked the noise.

ansonsdad
12-01-2000, 11:09 AM
Speaking of Atari 2600, I remember playing the Asteroids game until I got 1MM points. My damn thumb cramped up so bad after that, that I had stop playing for nearly an hour. If you don't remember, 1 hour was roughly equivalent to an eternity when jumping off the Atari rotation with other brothers and friends waiting their turn.

KC Hawke
12-01-2000, 11:11 AM
Cool Wis,

your Dad retired?

My Dad got transfered from Topeka to Lawton to work for the Goodyear Plant there . My folks live out on the west side of town, same house for over 20 years.

My Dad's 68 . . . I'm hopin he'll retire soon . . . January marks his 40th year with Goodyear.

Jeff_000
12-01-2000, 11:12 AM
Yosef--
You and my sister should get together. And by the way, you didn't grow up in Raytown, did you? I had a friend (supposedly a friend) smash about a dozen of my hot wheels, including my favorite: A Starsky and Hutch Torino. I loved that thing <sniff>.

Bricky--
Yep. The controllers have a switch on the back to change lanes. You needed that to get around the pace car ( a grey Vette). Mine's at my folks until Saturday. I'm going to run the track around our Chritmas Tree. The wife isn't too sure, but once I get her started, she won't be able to stop.

MM
--Gotta leave soon. Check back later.

autoxwes
12-01-2000, 11:12 AM
ROTFLMAO - Yosef - about blowing crap up. This sounds mean, but 10 year old boys in SW okalahoma did this kinda crap. We'd catch "horny toads" (little flat horned lizards)and stuff a firecracker in their mouth. They couldn't spit em out! We'd light em and they take off runn'n and BOOM!!! Sick but funny!!!! http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

autoxwes
12-01-2000, 11:15 AM
CRP - my dad isn't retired quite yet - couple of years to go. He is the plant manager at Farm Fresh Bakery on the South side of Lawton. He's been in the bread/milk/grocery business for about 40 years. I wish he would retire though so he could come up here to Wisconsin more often.

Mark- Naaaw, it wasn't me. I grew up in the sprawling metropolis of Mulvane, KS.

[This message has been edited by Yosef_Malkovitch (edited 12-01-2000).]

AustinChief
We didn't blow them up, but used to catch those little leopard frogs (there were about a billion of them in the ditch out in front of the house) and thump 'em on the back of the head with our finger. It would knock 'em out for about 5 minutes. We'd stretch them out on the hot pavement and when they'd wake up, they were all dried out and were funny to watch.

Yosef_Malkovitch
12-01-2000, 11:16 AM
Bob Dole:

Ahhhh, carbide cannons....

Take a clean paint can, put in a few chunks of carbide rocks, poke a hole in the side around the bottom of the can. Close the lid on the paint can, stick a piece of paper or paper towel in the hole, let the pressure build up and then light the paper.

Sounded like cannon fire on the artillery range.

mark

autoxwes
12-01-2000, 11:17 AM
Damn Dole that is FUNNY! I'm about to piss my pants right now. Everyone in the office is looking at my like I freakin nuts laughing so loud!!!

AustinChief
12-01-2000, 11:18 AM
Can you even buy carbide any more?

12-01-2000, 11:19 AM
That's funny Dole.

We used to put peanut butter on the roof of our dog's mouth. She would walk around sticking her tongue out over and over trying to eat it all. Looked like she was licking air.

Want real quality entertainment? Put a small piece of scotch tape on a cat's foot. Every step he takes, he'll shake his leg to try to get it off. Funny stuff, man.

12-01-2000, 11:21 AM
Better yet, put tape on all four of his feet. Hilarious. Looks like a nerve gas victim, the way he twitches his legs.

autoxwes
12-01-2000, 11:21 AM
Yosef - no way man, you put balloons on a cat's feet - all four - then you spray it with a water hose - NOW THAT IS FUNNY!!!

12-01-2000, 11:23 AM
LOL that sounds great! I gotta go visit my parents soon, they have a cat. I gotta try it!

ColoradoChief
12-01-2000, 11:25 AM
This is a pretty funny thread, a lot of your guys really make me feel young. Like Mark M I never had a BB Gun or minibike or even a gocart. We never seemed to have large boxes around, so we built our forts out of card tables and chairs, sometimes incorporating the rest of the family room furniture.

Hot wheels were cool, my Best Friends Mom has a picture of us playing with them in high school (we were bored and reliving the ol days) with masking tape on the floor to design our roads.

Mostly we just rode our bikes and played baseball, football, basketball and any other game we could think of.

There was a creek that ran through our area with large tunnels to walk through and another wooded area behind Wendys in Gladstone that used to be great for playing wargames, building small forts or just to explore. Cool stuff.

Sled riding was way up there as fun when I was a kid, we had the goal to make it all the way to the Creek, not an easy thing to do. My Parents yard was tareced (also fun for some evil football) so we could go down the drops and dodge all the walnut trees. The neighbors yard was not tareced and was a great speed hill.

AustinChief
Better yet, hold the cat down and rub it's a$$ with a corncob dipped in turpentine, then turn it loose.<BR>

Chief Henry
#1 was my GI Joe with "Kung-Foo Grip"!

#2 was my Major Matt Mason and that cool moon walker vehicle he rode around in. Anyone remember him?

#3 Legos - I STILL love them!

JOhn
Yosef,

Is that why the pic on Bob Dole's page looks like it does?

Disco - oh - yeah. I remember that game well. I never had one but a couple of buds did and we played it for hours. Much better than MTV.

12-01-2000, 11:28 AM
KPhobia-- No, I was born that way. Heh.

AustinChief
12-01-2000, 11:29 AM
Dad bought one of those old rounded 4 foot across Coca-Cola signs that used to hang on the side of the old grocery stores, and we used it as a big saucer in the snow.

Bob Dole shudders to think what the d@mned sign would sell for in its pre-snow-saucer condition...

ChannonChief
12-01-2000, 11:29 AM
Explosions, fire and animal torture...sounds like a normal childhood.

We used to make a cannon by taping 5 or 6 pepsi cans together with duct tape, after cutting out the tops and bottoms of them. Puncture a hole in the bottom of the last one to squirt the fuel in it. Used lighter fluid that Dad used to put in his Zippo. Shake it up to turn the liquid into gas and light it. We shot a variety of objects. The duct tape had a limited life expectancy though, and the cannon would blow apart on us.

Bricky
hoping my kids are better behaved

autoxwes
12-01-2000, 11:32 AM
Remember once I got a pair of "moon boots" for the winter. We were sleding all day one day and got cold so we stood around the camp fire and I melted the boots from being to close. Hell, I was scared out'a my mind. Creeped in the house and put the boots on the floor furnace and my ma found them and thought the furnace melted them. WHEW!!!

Never have told her about that one.

JOhn
12-01-2000, 11:34 AM
We used trash bags as sleds. Did anybody ever have to put their tennis shoes into those plastic newspaper bags and put a large rubber band at the top? That was our idea of snow boots. It sure beat waiting 2 days for your tennis shoes to dry out. I wasn't about to wear dress shoes to school. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

KC Hawke
Remember the Activision video games for Atari 2600 where, if you got a particular score, you would take a picture of the screen and send it in for a patch as a reward for being a superior player.

I think I landed 2 patches . . . I remember the patches would be accompanied by a letter that read "Dear John, (thats my name)
for future reference please do not use a flash next time you photograph your television screen"

They were basically saying since I'm using a flash on a cheap *** camera I could send them a pic of the Weather Channel and they wouldn't know the difference"

I had my Activision patches by-crackie!

KCTitus
BOB,Yosef
You guys are crazy. I thought I was wild when I took my model ships, filled them with match heads and then lit them in the neighbors pool.

BIG DADDY,
kind of feeling like a weiney.

Luzap
12-01-2000, 11:35 AM
Lego's were the most awesome. My son is now old enough that he wanted some last christmas. We spent about 100 bucks on Lego's sets and I gotta say Legos figured it out. You cant really make 'other' things because many of the pieces are specialized to make that one particular ship/vehicle/building.

In any event, helping him build those brought back some memories.

This year it's a slot car track...anyone have one of those?

AustinChief
12-01-2000, 11:37 AM
We used bread wrappers for boots, Phil.

JOhn
12-01-2000, 11:38 AM
Titus,

Hell yeah, I had slot car tracks. We were so poor that I inherited the slot car tracks my father had when he was a kid. However, we did get the newer replacement cars from sears one year and they FLEW in comparison. We could hardly keep 'em on the track. I used to LOVE taking those things apart and determining which set of magnets/motor/tires/body went the fastest....

12-01-2000, 11:39 AM
Did anyone every try to make a parachute? When I was 8, I noticed that if you held them by the handles, plastic grocery bags would catch air and drag out behind you when you ran. So, we got two (one for each hand) and I jumped off the top bunk of the bunkbed.

Suffice to say they didn't work very well, so we scrapped that idea.

JOhn
12-01-2000, 11:39 AM
Yeah, bread wrappers held up better than the newspaper sacks. Dang, I thought I was the only one that did that stuff. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

autoxwes
12-01-2000, 11:41 AM
Damn, this keeps bringing back memories. We also had a slot car track that kept coming apart and would screw up the race. Well, me and my brother got this GREAT idea that we would NAIL the thing down. Yep, we did it - right on my dad'a PING PONG TABLE. Oh hell, was he ever pissed!!!! He busted the track all to hell and thru it in the trash. That was the official ending to my NASCAR days! http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

JOhn
12-01-2000, 11:43 AM
Wis - we nailed ours down, too. I think you were supposed to because of the holes in the ends. Plus those metal clips always broke and you'd lose 'em. Never nailed it the p/p table though. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Vortex Dweller
12-01-2000, 11:45 AM
Gotta go with the BB gun. I think the bird population is just starting to make a comback.

Chief Joseph
12-01-2000, 11:46 AM
Anyone remember making "tents" in your bedroom? My brother and me would use every freaking blanket and beach towel in the house. It would stretch across the hall covering my room and my brothers. We would spend hours on a Saturday putting it up and my mother would let us sleep on the floor that night. Some of those tents were so elaborate I didnt want to take them down.

JOhn
12-01-2000, 11:47 AM
Heck, yeah MrBlonde. My kids STILL do that.

KCTitus
12-01-2000, 11:48 AM
We used to have these out door halls in gadeschool they were in between the buildings and when the wind would blow really hard you could hardly walk down them. I would get the biggest coat I could find and hold my arms straight out, holding the jacket. You run down the hallway as fast as you can and jump. The amazing thing was sometimes you wouldn't land on your feet.

BIG DADDY
Now one month away from getting his pilots license. That sure took a long time.

AustinChief
12-01-2000, 11:49 AM
Ahhh...wonderful electric car track memories.

Like when Bob Dole got an old used one from the neighbor up the street. Was sitting in the bedroom on the floor playing with it, then went to unplug it to put it away. It was plugged in to an extension cord, so Bob Dole reached under the desk and thought he unplugged the extension cord (but unplugged the lamp instead). Firmly grasped the plug between the teeth to pull the stubborn thing out...

Well, the resulting scream of pain and fear as Bob Dole neared unconsciousness dislodged the remaining chunk of charred lip. Dad yells, "What the he1l is going on in there?" to which little Bob Dole replies, "nothin." Then Bob Dole looks in the mirror and screams again.

Last time that track was seen.

seclark
12-01-2000, 11:49 AM
Back in the high school dayz I had a plastic tank out of a camper that I cut the top off of and made into a minnow tank. A friend and I camped out one night and he told me about lighting carbide crystals. So, we go up to the hardware store and get a pound, come back and dump them in this minnow tank. Well, they commenced to bubblin, I had the matches trying to light them and throw them in the tank from about a 5-6 foot distance, I wasn't completely stupid(?), hell, I didn't know what they would do. Finally after about a half a dozen "misses" my friend grabs the matches from me, calls me a pu$$ and proceeds to walk up and stand right over the tank! He lit the match, bent over the tank and dropped it in, there was a instantaneous ball of flame that rose up and engulfed his head, there was the weirdest sound, something like a high pitched whistle, he stumbled backwards and groped towards the water hydrant. About all it did was singe his hair, but it was about the funniest $hit I've ever seen!

Logical
12-01-2000, 11:50 AM
My favorite toy was forts. God I loved making those things. I had a four-poster bed, so it was perfect for hanging sheets over!

Ok, so honestly, I still like making forts. When I was down at SMS, my roommate and I made a fort in our dorm room...we were the envy of everyone else on our floor! We left it up until they made us take it down - something about a fire hazard. Yeah, I guess I'm a dork. :D

Shannon

Luzap
12-01-2000, 12:03 PM
Shannon: my daughter does that with her canopy bed. After a few weeks, I told her to take it down so we could wash the walls aka the sheets. A 'debate' ensued.

Sorry to hear that Bob Dole, I had wonderful slot car memories as a kid, until my brother broke one of the cars. Cant really race with one car.

KCTitus
12-01-2000, 12:07 PM
BIG DADDY,
Made a fort down on the creek. I kept all my playboys there. :D

[This message has been edited by BIG_DADDY (edited 12-01-2000).]

JOhn
12-01-2000, 12:11 PM
BD,

Did you keep the Payboys near the Pethouses?

We had a creek running under a road. The bridge under the road was a cool place to hang out. That's where we kept all our payboys, pethouses, & hutlers.

Baby Lee
12-01-2000, 12:12 PM
i got a radio shack electronic set one time and it was awesome. LED's, radio and all other sorts of things you could build.

------------------
Brian K.

It doesn't make a difference what temperature a room is, it's always room temperature.

[i]Steven Wright </I>

ChannonChief
12-01-2000, 12:13 PM
Kept our Playboys and Penthouses in the loft of an old barn in town. Great place to hang out and build tunnels in the bales of straw.<P>

KCTitus
12-01-2000, 12:18 PM
Phobia,
We used to sneek them from our fathers who were hiding them from our mothers.Funny how some things never come up at the dinner table. :)

BIG DADDY
Still think dads are proud of their sons for stealing their Playboys. They just don't want to officially condone it because of moms.

Snapper
12-01-2000, 12:30 PM
This really took off..

I was reminded of some things....
magnifying glass+firecracker+ant hills=hours of entertainment.

We made a potato gun out of a fence post driver, starting fluid, and mama's garden...that ended when the calves broke through the lot fence after one of the "bigger booms"...

Yoseph....I worked for an Actual autocrusher...smashed the REAL thing for several summers in jrhigh and high school, and college, spring breaks.....always got free demolishion derby cars in the summers though....the funnest one 3 brothers, 3 uncles, 2 cousins in the finals....nothing more fun than smashing into family members at high rates of speed.

I went to my brothers(20,25)last month, who live together....they had a slot car track in 2 rooms, more toys than we ever did...and different helmets for different playstation games...helicopter, football, simbreros, spartan battle helmet, talking astronaut hats..they had some nostalgia games for playstation, pacman, donkey kong, frogger, combat....i think they are stuck at age 9...but funnier than he!!..

[This message has been edited by Iowanian (edited 12-01-2000).]

Snapper
12-01-2000, 12:38 PM
the demolision derby family tradition also inspired some entertainment as kids....

we would have our cousins and friends all build "cars" out of egg cartons..cut off the front 4", trim and make hood of "wagon"...add some weight, glue, strategically placed nails and screws...

we'd meet, go to the hallway, pull up the carpet and have count-downs and 1,2,3 smash, and slide them to the middel...the last one with a front end won....

we also built alot of model cars....reinforced, glued and did the same thing....motor comes out, you lose....

ahhh the memories...

Snapper
12-01-2000, 01:07 PM
based on the dirty book thread...i think some of you freaks ;) were born with your favorite "toys"...sicko's all of you.

JOhn
12-01-2000, 01:19 PM
LMAO, IA - funny stuff.

DIEHARDCHIEF
12-01-2000, 01:21 PM
Being a relative youngster my favorites were He-man, Star Wars, G.I. Joe and M.A.S.K.

However, if I wanted to play with another person I had to play with my sister and her Barbies. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/frown.gif

ColoradoChief
12-01-2000, 02:13 PM
Shannon - LOL! I feel so much better now. Last time I built a fort was in High School, I had my best friend spending the night and a couple girls were sneaking over to the house. We thought we had about an hour and a half before they were supposed to get there, but they showed up right as we were starting our redisgn, luckily it was at a point where you couldn't tell what we were doing otherwise I'm sure I would have died out of embarrassment.

Logical
12-01-2000, 02:56 PM
Morph - LOL I'm sure that would've been pretty embarrassing!

You're lucky though, cause soon enough you'll be able to help Morph Jr build some forts!!

Shannon

PS -- I'm glad your wife is home safe and sound!

ColoradoChief
12-01-2000, 03:02 PM
Shannon - The one we had built was the size of the entire family room, multi chamberd with seceret exits and the whole bit. Though I don't think the girls would have been that impressed. :)

2 Nights ago I was the first person, other then my wife of course, to actually feel the baby kick. That was a pretty cool thing for me. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

autoxwes
12-01-2000, 03:05 PM
Morph - when are you due?

Snapper
12-01-2000, 03:07 PM
morph,

just think, A whole new generation of toys!! and now you have an excuse....but would you fit on a big wheel anymore??

I have plans to build a "machinery line" for the peddle tractors when i'm a papa...

Logical
12-01-2000, 03:13 PM
Morph - How exciting!! I'm sure it was very cool to feel that for the first time.

ColoradoChief
12-01-2000, 03:16 PM
Wis - March 26th, the same day I was due.

Iowa - I have been working up the woman to let me by an ATV, could have some serious fun with that. I rode my big wheel till it was dead, and oddly the front tire was a little less round.

Snapper
12-01-2000, 03:19 PM
morph,

you had better get a winch or at least a ratchet winch if you are anything like me...i've still got that..."i wonder if i can..." voice in my head...and spent quite a bit of time walking because of it....we sunk my dads completely in the river this summer....boys will be boys...I wonder if I'll feel like a grownup at 30?? I hope not.

Milissa
12-01-2000, 03:24 PM
i sunk mine in the pond in my back yard last spring...watched nascar for about 4beers and went out to run a couple laps...
sec<BR>

ColoradoChief
12-01-2000, 03:25 PM
Iowa - I have a friends brother that lets us use his, one of his buddies took it into a pond and we had to get the tractor to pull it out. But both the spots I have to ride on are about 40 acres and both have tractors so I think I'm pretty safe. The hardest part for me is getting used to turning and throttle controls with comparison to the crotchrocket.

Snapper
12-01-2000, 03:25 PM
sec,

the older we get, the more it costs to fix our toys...why in the hell is that???

whats the saying..."the bigger the boys, the bigger their toys"?

Snapper
12-01-2000, 03:32 PM
have a good weekend all,

I'm off to play with some of my bigkid toys...saws, drills, hammers, shotguns...ar ar ar ar ar ar ar ar

peace out,<BR>

Milissa
12-01-2000, 03:32 PM
iowa...what was tough was i had to take my truck out to the pond and tie a rope from it to the 4wheeler so i couldn't lose it completely. then i just sat there and waited for my sons to get home from work so they could help me pull it out before the wife and daughter got home.
sec
dont even like freakin nascar

kcneo
12-01-2000, 03:56 PM
Regarding the smutty magazines, my favorite toy was a hole in my pocket. heheheheheheh

You know, the old saying... Mom had to cut a hole in my pocket so I'd have something to play with...

[This message has been edited by redhed (edited 12-01-2000).]

rtmurphy223
12-01-2000, 07:27 PM
NFL Football table game that vibrated the players around the field when turned on.

PostalChief
12-01-2000, 07:31 PM
"Rock-em, Sock-em Robots".

elvislivesinkc
12-01-2000, 08:10 PM
The toy that immediately came to mind was my Fisher Price garage. Guess that's the winner.

Political Observer
12-02-2000, 07:32 AM
Geez,
I feel like Charlie Brown at Holloween, only instead rocks, whenever I got gifts it was "I just got another package of underwear"
the milkman
never lacking for shorts

Political Observer
12-02-2000, 07:39 AM
The thing I had,though, growing up was Comic Books. My best friend and I collected them, and kept them in boxes in my aunt and uncle's basement (where I lived). Had the original Spiderman and the original Fantastic Four among them, as well as some other classics. Went to camp when I was 12. When I got home,my uncle had thrown them all away.
the milkman
still pissed about that

Yosef_Malkovitch
12-02-2000, 07:45 AM
milkman:

I'll go ya' one better...

I had a complete collection of BB cards of all the teams from 1961-1965. When I was away for the summer in 1967 we had a flood in my town. We had put the cards in the attic for safekeeping while we were away.

While we were gone, my Mom found them in the attic and moved them back downstairs to our room. In the flood, they were all washed away.

I still don't forgive my Mom for that.

mark

------------------
Kilgore is a noun, not a verb..

Political Observer
12-02-2000, 08:05 AM
Mark,
Ouch, that had to hurt.
the milkman
lamenting lost treasues

Yosef_Malkovitch
12-02-2000, 08:08 AM
milkman:

When I think of the value of thise cards now I cry.

They would be worth a fortune..but more than that I could pass them onto my son and show him names of guys who were REAL BALLPLAYERS, not these plastic things we see on the field now.

mark

------------------
KilGore is a noun, not a verb..