PDA

View Full Version : Grbac on need of RB and his contract for next year...

Devin Vierth
12-08-2000, 10:27 AM
Did anyone else catch the Sports on Channel 9 last night with Karen Kornacki (sp)?

Elvis said with a RB we could be very dangerous next year. Seems like Elvis agrees with most of us, that we don't already have a RB.

Now for the part that I'm not sure if I heard right...

Karen said Elvis HAD ALREADY extended his contract (last year?) and is due his roster bonus this offseason. Doesn't sound much to me like much of that 40 Million over the cap is going to come from Elvis renegotating again if I heard her correctely. Anyone else hear this? If so, did I hear this right?

[This message has been edited by Coogs (edited 12-08-2000).]

ColoradoChief
12-08-2000, 10:34 AM
Basically he restructured his contract, which means he signed a new one that postpone the bonus until this year instead of last. Grbac knows we need a RB, and to get one he will have to restructure again and this guy wants to win so I'm guessing he will do it.

Devin Vierth
12-08-2000, 11:22 AM
Morphus,

The way Karen used her tone of voice and her facial expressions when she was reporting this...

I'm not so sure he will renegotiate. He has the numbers, and he already sacrificed the dollars last year. Not sure after last night he will take one for the team!

Ugly Duck
12-08-2000, 11:27 AM
trade him to Pittsburgh then if he gets greedy- a 1st and a 4nd sounds good now http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

KC Jones
12-08-2000, 11:33 AM
I believe in EG...if the Chiefs will show a hint of committment to getting a quality RB in FA then he might be inclined to renegotiate...one thing for sure...Carl ain't going to part with 10 mil very easily...when is the bonus due?...March?...by then wouldn't we have an idea of who we might be able to get in FA?

And if the show some committment and dump most of the coaches...

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

[This message has been edited by 58Forever (edited 12-08-2000).]

One Arrowhead Dave
12-08-2000, 11:37 AM
No way do we pay that bonus. If Grbac does not renegotiate, we can get another average QB via FA [Green, Johnson, the Billy Joe twins, so forth].

I would gladly go into battle with Grbac at QB and a FA QB [Dillon, Garner, Smith, Barber, so forth], but Grbac is not indispensable. We need that $10,000,000 more than we need Grbac.

xoxo~
gaz
setting the terms.<BR>

Devin Vierth
12-08-2000, 11:38 AM
58Forever,
I hope you are right. I know this is a different topic, but with those idiots in baseball forking out major bucks for mediocre talent, who could blame Elvis for wanting his due. Hoping baseball doesn't ruin everything!!!

[This message has been edited by Coogs (edited 12-08-2000).]

KC Jones
12-08-2000, 11:41 AM
Gaz, you mention Green, is he available next year?....he would be cheaper than EG if EG doesn't want to renegotiate...and I'd be he'd jump all over the chance to be a starter...

I'm still a Grbacker but I ain't to stupid to want whats best for the team....

I also like your idea of TRich and Barber...and Barber would be more affordably then Dillon or Garner...unfortunately it really don't matter if all they do is run up the middle...

KC Jones
12-08-2000, 11:43 AM
Is there a cap in baseball?...the way the Yankess spend money you have to wonder...

Elvis deserves a healthy raise...I think a 4 year contract worth about 5 mil and a signing bonus in the 10 mil range...still saves us over having to pay the bonus...

Gaz
12-08-2000, 11:46 AM
Shame on Elvis thinking he deserves a $10M bonus seeing he has never won a playoff game.

One Arrowhead Dave
12-08-2000, 11:47 AM
58forever-

Barber only works with a new coaching staff. Richardson inside, Barber outside. Both can catch and both can run. It would bring a whole new dimension to our Offense.

xoxo~
gaz
desperate for a new coaching staff.<BR>

KC Jones
12-08-2000, 11:51 AM
Gaz, of course you are right...if Walter Peyton had played for the Chiefs, well, he wouldn't have played...what do they resist the obvious need to have an inside outside running game...we have the backs to do an adequate job of that now...It's very frustrating...I just want to choke Gun and Jimmmy and say...sweep, sweeep, sweeep........ahhhhhhh!!!!!!

Elvis never won a playoff game?

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

[This message has been edited by 58Forever (edited 12-08-2000).]

DaneMcCloud
12-08-2000, 12:12 PM
If Grbac has restructured his contract once already to defer money due him he may do it again. What monetary perks would you add to Grbac's contract to do so?

Spott
12-08-2000, 12:25 PM
If I'm not mistaken Elway redid his contract yearly (it seemed) for exactly the same reasons. EG will follow in that tradition.

Gaz, Barber outside and Rich inside? You mean kinda like I was preaching Cloud outside and Rich inside during the preseason? What a concept! *L*

One Arrowhead Dave
12-08-2000, 12:29 PM
ck_IN-

Exactly.

xoxo~
gaz
vuing a deja.<BR>

flowergirl
12-08-2000, 12:32 PM
Green will still be under contract to the Rams. We would have to part with draft picks and still pay Green to get him...

Devin Vierth
12-08-2000, 12:41 PM
Ck_IN,

I think you can redo contract 'til the cows come home. But at some point in time you have to pay the piper. Scared of the situation Carl "The master negotiater" Peterson has us in right now. Reminds me a whole lot of Carmen Policy.

DaMook
12-08-2000, 03:05 PM
I am totally opposed to the outside-inside back combo. I want a back who can do it all HIMSELF. A back who is big enough to get the tough yards inside and has the speed and agility to bring it outside (Corey Dillon, Robert Smith, Charlier Garner all run both inside and out). If you have one back run in and the other out the offense is still predictable.

One Arrowhead Dave
12-08-2000, 03:13 PM
DaKCMan AP-

That would not be the case with Richardson and [for example] Barber or Cloud. You would have the same "personnel package" all the time. You would simply hand off to one guy or the other.

xoxo~
gaz
keeping it simple and deceptive.<BR>

dtforever
12-08-2000, 05:38 PM
For the last four years, I have heard the same thing from Elvis "we could be dangerous next year"

How many more "next years" are there?

broncosrule
12-08-2000, 07:17 PM
I like Grbac, however, where do you think Weinke will be drafted? The guy could probably play next week and do a good job. I think his maturity is unquestioned. Also, no Tiki, no Green, no Billy Joe's. We don't need to take any more steps backwards!!!

------------------
GO PITT!

Spott
12-08-2000, 07:31 PM
My thing about Weinke is; no matter how sophisticated the offense is, the college game is drasticly different than the NFL game. He's already 28yrs. By the time he gets up to speed he'll probably be past 30yrs.

Seems like an awful late age to begin breaking in a QB.

flowergirl
12-08-2000, 09:37 PM
Ken,
Problem is, the last 4 years Carl hasn't gotten a running back and the defense has declined. The passing attack has become dangerous. Even the Rams are showing that it can catch up with you if you don't play D and run it consistently...

[This message has been edited by DaWolf (edited 12-08-2000).]

dtforever
12-09-2000, 10:29 AM
Carl has created a huge mess. First, he signs Chester McGockton to outrageous money. Then after Dan Williams sits, he rewards him with top money at his position, then he panics and overpays Carlton Gray. What has he gotten for a return on this investment? One of the worst defenses in football.

Now, his QB has put up big numbers and is due 10 million, His all-world tight end is going to ask for the moon after next season, his pro bowl guard is going to be a FA, AND he needs a running back. The crap (Chet, Dan Williams, Gray) will count against the cap for a few more years.

Its one thing if this team just won the super bowl, but a 5-8 and going nowhere fast, it could be a LOONG time before this mess is cleaned up.

Good decisions and cap management Carl! What new GM wants to inherit a mess like this?

The-Man
12-09-2000, 12:19 PM
Don't forget about Carl signing Lew Bush to a six year 18 million dollar contract.

I hated that signing from the start.

But everyone on this board kept telling me that he would help our run defense by "funelling the RB to the other LB's".

I thought that was a very homeristic view at the time and I certainly do now, considering that he doesn't even play now and probably only averaged 1 or 2 tackles per game when he did play.