PDA

View Full Version : GazReview: "The Art of War"

alanm
08-26-2000, 12:15 PM
This is an action thriller that is happy with being an action thriller. Not pretense of deeper issues, no examination of character, no surprises. There are lots of twists to the plot, but if you have seen a handful of action thrillers before, you will see them coming.

In short, expect to see things you have seen before.

That being said, it is a good thriller, if not a great one. The pace is quick, the explosions LOUD and the hero properly heroic. Snipes is a fine actor for this kind of flick. His fight scenes are credible, he has the requisite “cool” factor and can recite the standard lines without looking foolish.

There is one very nice action scene where Snipes and a bad guy face off with their silenced handguns in a darkened hallway. An “up close and personal” exchange of gunfire that is quite thrilling.

This film will not stretch your brain. It will not tear at your heartstrings. And it will not stay with you long after the lights come up. What it will do is keep you moving with a hero trapped in a web of conspiracy within conspiracy. If you liked “Murder at 1600” or “Eraser” then you will probably enjoy “The Art of War.”

I tend to save my theater excursions for films that demand the big screen [“The Cell” or “The Perfect Storm” or “MI2”]. This one would be just as good on DVD or VHS, but it is worth a look if you enjoy the action thriller stuff.

xoxo~
gaz
admitted fan of the genre.<BR>

alanm
08-26-2000, 12:22 PM
“But Gaz,” I hear you say, “how do I know I like the same stuff you do?”

Good question.

Herewith a list of what I consider to be good action thrillers. This is not meant to be a “best of” list, nor is it all-inclusive. It is intended solely to give you an idea of what I consider a good action flick, so that you can judge for yourself if my taste matches yours:

· “The Long Kiss Goodnight”
· “The Replacement Killers”
· “Speed”
· “Goldeneye”
· “True Lies”
· “Face/Off”
· “The Last Boy Scout”

That should be enough to give you an idea of my prejudice in this area.

xoxo~
gaz
already confessed to Woo-worship.<BR>

Cannibal
08-26-2000, 04:24 PM
Good. I liked all the movies you listed. Although we did differ in opinion on MI:2. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

I saw the Cell last week (great premise, but dialogue lags, dream sequences spectacular but too short, overall poorly executed by the director) and now we're going to see Godzilla this week. Hopefully cheese isn't always bad... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif<P>