PDA

View Full Version : Interesting historical preseason stats...

Cannibal
08-26-2000, 08:37 PM
In the '80s, we had 7 preseasons of .500 or better. Of those years, only in '86 did we finish with a winning record (10-6).

But in the '80's, 3 times with losing preseasons, 2 of those seasons were wining seasons, and the third a .500 season.

In 1990, when we went 11-5, we were 1-3 in preseason, losing the first 3 games by a combined score of 74-24 to the Rams, Jets and Lions.

1992 (10-6) we lost 3 preseason games by a combined 72-23.

We also went 1-3 in 1997 with our young team and 11 new starters, but finished 13-3.

5 times we have finished the preseason with only 1 win, and each of those years were winning seasons. Does one win in preseason make that much of a difference?

Who knows how we'll play in the regular season. Some of the things we saw were discouraging. But I'm not giving up yet... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

htismaqe
08-26-2000, 08:51 PM
I'm certainly not giving up either.

Of course it's dis-heartening to see our beloved team get trounced, but the people that say this MUST be a reflection on how good our team is are deluding themselves.

Could our team be terrible? Of course it could!

Could our team be great? Yes, it could also be great. Only the regular season games will bring the answer to this. It's even possible that we start off the season poor, only to end up strong, making the play-offs just as our team is gelling and starting to dominate! (remember San Diego a few years ago?).

So if anybody is ready to give up, I just have one question for you...

how much do you want for your tickets, jerseys, etc.

Luz
i'll buy'em all...

mikey23545
08-26-2000, 08:55 PM
Those teams were coached by Marty, who didn't care about p/s scores, but he did have a vision for the year. Did we evaluate anything, and if so, what?

htismaqe
08-26-2000, 09:01 PM
Michael,

It's a fair question and I feel pretty good about the answer.

Gun is no stranger to the art of preseason evaluation and as a DC did a darn good job of it. On ateam of Marty's to start rookies or 2nd year youth over experience was bucking the system, yet Gun did it with Woods, Tongue, Edwards, and probably a few others if I stopped to think about it.

I can't wait to hear who's made the team. I think we're in for some surprises (and they will be in the direction of youth)!

I also believe Gun has a vision for our offense. I just hope we can execute it as well as Gun sees it.

Luz
enjoying this presason despite the odds...

mikey23545
08-26-2000, 09:06 PM
Luz-

Hope you are right. I think Gun has visions, but I think it's from sleep deprivation.

[This message has been edited by Michael Michigan (edited 08-26-2000).]

htismaqe
08-26-2000, 09:10 PM
Has anybody heard anything about the severity of Hall's back strain?

Is it bad enough that it might jepordize himmaking the team? I'm convinced he's already clinched a spot (unless there's something we don't know).

Luz
hoping he's ok...

Frazod
08-26-2000, 09:17 PM
Luz,

Finally someone who wants to wait to see what we have from regular season play. Very well said.

Dan

Frazod
08-26-2000, 09:17 PM
Luz,

Finally someone who wants to wait to see what we have from regular season play. Very well said.

Dan

Frazod
08-26-2000, 09:32 PM
Sorry about the double post. I'm not sure why it did that.

Dan

Cannibal
08-26-2000, 09:52 PM
I also believe we were evaluating more than anything. The QB spots were wide open. Unfortunately no one stepped up. The HB spots were wide open. I think Cloud and Moreau solidified their claims on the spot. The 2nd reciever job was up for grabs. Lockett should stake his claim to that if healthy. The KR spot was up for grabs, and aside from Hall, I saw some pretty lackluster returns. The backup linemen job was a fight, and some surprises are coming out of that battle. Maslowski stepped up for PT at LB. Browning overtook Dung Williams. Duane Clemons looked good. The secondary has me scratching my head aside from Hasty. Sauerbrun impressed me.

I think Hall has to make this team. If he is injured, just put him on the PUP until he is ready to come back. The ball should get into the hands of TRich, DA, and Gonzo more often when the regualr season starts. In fact, I expect DA to have an all pro year. Our starting line looked outstanding and was making huge holes. Moon and Anders may be on their way out. Will Dishman even make the team? Carlton Gray is definitely gone. Dishman's status may depend on who becomes available from elsewhere. As Drayton gets more acclimated to the O he should become a weapon. Does our OC know how to use his weapons? I doubt that.

The biggest thing that worries me is opponents having 3rd and long against us. That used to be death for the opponents, unless it was John Elway. Now everybody is John Elway and is converting 3rd and longs against us with quick slants or sideline patterns or whatnot. We have to improve there, we have to tackle the ballcarrier, we have to play sound football. Marty's teams were able to do that. Can Gun's team perform? We find out in 8 days...

[This message has been edited by DaWolf (edited 08-26-2000).]