PDA

View Full Version : We don't need to wait for the waiver wire,we need to make a trade

CaptainRon
08-26-2000, 07:29 AM
I hope we aren't waiting for the waiver wire to pick someone up.My sugesstion would be to talk to the Rams and make a trade for either of their 2nd string CB's-Taje Allen or Dre Bly,maybe we could trade Warfield or Gray or any CB or any half-way decent player,for that matter or a draft pick for one of these guys.I'm not convinced without a trade,that our secondary is ready.Dishman has looked awful,so much so that he has become a liability to the team.What do you think?

CaptainRon
08-26-2000, 08:10 AM
Anybody have an suggestions as to who we could pick up that would improve our team?

alanm
08-26-2000, 08:20 AM
ChiefsAlltheWay-

The success [or lack thereof] of our secondary is a direct result of pressure [or lack thereof] from the DL. Given the Offense-slanted rules and flag-happy refs, the battle over the passing game must take place in the backfield. If you depend on the CB to stop the passing game, you have already lost the battle. We don't need new CBs, we need a pass rush. We need crushed QBs.

IMO, you are looking in the wrong place. The problem with this team is not the players on the roster, it is the coaching staff. As far as the players are concerned, we lack a star HB. That's pretty much it. On the other hand, we are inept at every Coordinator position.

xoxo~
gaz
refusing to blame the soldiers when the Generals suck.<BR>

Warrior5
08-26-2000, 08:21 AM
AllTheWay,

I wish we could have picked up Brad Culpepper. Teamed with Chet in the middle, he might have provided some inside pass-rush and helped free up some space around the outside for Clemons and Hicks. We can blame Dan Williams and his huge salary for that, because we can't just release him http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/mad.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if we pick up someone on the waiver wire, another CB. I don't see us trading for anyone because:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> who would we be willing to trade that we won't just release? We would have to sacrifice someone we want to keep, or a draft pick (even though we have that extra 5th for Stai, I don't see CP doing that) along with the player(s) to be replaced (Gray, Dish, Warfield) in order to get someone like Dre Bly.
<LI> no teams are likely to trade right now, because they know there will probably be some people worth picking up for free, that will be cut by this evening. </UL>

FWIW, I wish we could pull off a worthwhile trade (I do not mean to shoot down your suggestion), I just don't see it happening.

Warrior5
08-26-2000, 08:29 AM
IMO, 4 things stand out (stats-wise) from last night's game:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> 5 total 1st downs (ugh!)
<LI> 11 penalties for 97 yards (no friggin' excuse)
<LI> 0 sacks (WTF?)
<LI> Dunn/Alstott averaged over 7 ypc (not again!) </UL>

I translate this into:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> flat-out crap offense (despite good running game (on paper))
<LI> no discipline (for all Gun's "disciplinarian techniques!", and we didn't even have Chet to contribute 4 or 5 offsides calls!!!)
<LI> no pass rush (with Chet missing, did Browning do ANYTHING in the middle?)
<LI> terrible tackling (again!)</UL>

Bear in mind that I didn't see the game, so I stand corrected if I am making too much of the numbers, but this is what it looks like.

We are hurting in ALL aspects of the game (based on the preseason of course!). Therefore, I agree with Gaz, that the "generals suck".

JMO.<P>

CaptainRon
08-26-2000, 08:38 AM
Gaz,
I see your point about crushing the QB,however,defenses don't get to the QB on every play,so when opposing teams pass,we should have a CB that sticks to their WR.I just haven't seen that all preseason.We have been giving up 3rd and longs all preseason.If we had a man who could get in there and break up the play,we would be in alot better shape.Its just my opinion,that a solid CB would help improve our defense.I think Clemons will get alot of penetration.Lets go Chiefs!

alanm
08-26-2000, 08:48 AM
ChiefsAlltheWay-

I agree. But I have to point out that the NFL has stacked the rules totally in favor of the receiver. How many times have you seen an Offensive PI call?

The current rules mandate that the passing game be attacked at the source. If the QB has time to make a throw when he wants to, there will be a completion or a penalty in the vast, VAST majority of cases. The refs will not allow bump & run coverage anymore. Any contact, no matter how incidental [or imaginary, in the case of Oscar McCaffrey] draws a yellow hankie. WRs regularly beg for flags [and are rewarded for same] because they realize that the nature of the passing game has been fundamentally changed as a result of the NFL's slavish desire for exciting passing plays.

There are three choices:
1. Obtain the services of [2] phenomenally talented athletes who can run stride for stride with any receiver in the league. They must have the physical ability to stay close to the receiver without actually coming within a couple of yards of him, lest the refs toss the PI flag. You can count the number of these guys on one hand.
2. Use a zone Defense. A despicable tactic that does not even deserve consideration by right-minded football fans. I am ashamed to even bring it up.
3. Crush the QB. Hammer him relentlessly. Make him throw early. Hit him time after time and make him think about it every time he raises his arm to throw. Bash him brutally.

xoxo~
gaz
votes for bashing.<BR>

Logical
08-26-2000, 09:09 AM
Well, I'd like to put a positive spin on that game.
Uhhh......Donnie Edwards played o.k.
Preseason games DO mean something. Playing crappy football is a habit that's hard to break. <P>

Logical
08-26-2000, 09:21 AM
Gaz you have nailed it as usual.
You can have a pro bowler at every DB, but if you don't crush the QB, you've already been beat.
I'll keep my blinders on one more week.
Yeah....it was because Chet didn't play.

alanm
08-26-2000, 09:23 AM
shakesthecat-

False hope is better than no hope at all…

xoxo~
gaz
cautiously [VERY cautiously] hopeful.<BR>

CaptainRon
08-26-2000, 09:32 AM
Gaz,
I totally agree with you,as far as the QB crushing DE,and from what I have seen,we may(may being the keyword) have that in Clemons and Hicks.IMO,They both have shown potential in the pre-season.
But,IMO,when I have watched the pre-season,this year,I watched our DB's get burned alot.Mainly Dishman,several times and for big yardage lose.Its happened in every game,thus far.Warfield has been pushed around and burned and I hate to say it,but even Hasty looks a little weak-Last week he was burned for pass interference when they threw a TD against him.Last night's game Vs. Tampa when Alstott scored Hasty made 1st contact with Alstott,then Warfield,then Woods,then TD-Tampa.I hate to go on and on,but I feel a trade for a quality CB,would help us more.Go Chiefs!

Warrior5
08-26-2000, 09:56 AM
ChiefsAllTheWay,

I agree with you. We could use an upgrade at CB through trade/waiver wire if possible. A solid pass rush would help out the secondary, but from what I can gather, our pass-rush hasn't shown enough QB pressuring to be reliable. It would need to be stellar in order to compensate for our CBs, and it doesn't appear to be.<BR>

shakesthecat
08-26-2000, 10:07 AM
I agree we need more pressure on the QB, but have we not been playing a lot of zone coverage. I am not saying Dishman is the same as he was 5 years ago or more, but he has always been an "in your face" bump and run CB, same with Hasty. To restructure all the years experience they have, is ludicrous. We brought in Shaw, and so far, we have looked as bad as I can ever remember, if it his new system, and with the young DBs, lets go with it, and say goodby to Dish, and Hasty at the end of the year. I don't believe there is one CB out there that can change things around. If this season goes as I think it will, our young
DBs are going to get a trial by fire.

KCTitus
08-26-2000, 10:12 AM
Keep in mind, the only time we pressured the QB without a blitz was against the Jags. If you recall, the Jags had a 2nd string O-line on the field and no Fred Taylor in the backfield.

If this pattern holds against the Colts, we are in deep trouble if we have to try and play catch up!

redbrian
08-27-2000, 09:18 AM
It's one thing to get allow a catch after several seconds because of a lack of QB pressure, and it's another thing entirely to get burned from the moment the ball is snapped by a guy that won't even start.

Dishman is an embarrassment to the Chiefs defense, and he should be cut today.

------------------
This is my signature!! There are many like it but this one is mine!!

[This message has been edited by Clint in Wichita (edited 08-27-2000).]

G_Man
08-27-2000, 09:25 AM
What did you thank of GREEN being cutt by the JETS? that shocked me i wonder were he will land??

Iron Chef
08-27-2000, 09:39 AM
Agree with many the biggest issue is getting to the QB. It is tough for any team to get pressure with just four guys. This is where I fault the chiefs scheme. Our QB gets consistantly crushed by an outside blitz. Puts pressure on offensive tackles to make decision on who to block with stunt.

90% of all chiefs blitzes come up the middle. WE have been burned several times this pre-season with an interior LB and Safety coming right up the middle. Easier offensive line pick up because blocking in space, and easier for back to pick up straight line rush from blitzing player. We have the speed in our linebackers to run stunts on the outside. Slant Chestor to crash the middle, send Hicks or Clemmons on inside move to occupy the OTs and let Bush or Edwards take the outside rush one on one in open space against the running back. Both these guys will have more speed to keep containment if QB trys to roll outside the pocket. Just a thought!

Baby Lee
08-27-2000, 09:47 AM
Well they had the chance to draft either of the Brown boys from Nebraska. And it looks like both with make their respected clubs. Bears and Giants.

redshirt32
08-27-2000, 11:10 AM
Gaz:

"refusing to blame the soldiers when the Generals suck."

I agree the "General's" suck, but IMO you can't place all the blame on the generals. You need to place the blame as much on the guys in the field too. In school I had some pretty sucky teachers but I still did good. In business I have had some pretty poor supervisors but that didn't inhibit my performance.

It appears that last year's slight crack in the defense are starting to become gaping holes.

mmaddog

------------------
"When you're not the lead dog in the pack, the view is always the same"