PDA

View Full Version : Cap Numbers at ESPN.com

htismaqe
08-27-2000, 11:40 AM
So Bob Dole is sitting here and pops over to good old ESPN.com and notices an article on NFL team's cap situations. Having nothing better to do, Bob Dole clicks away, and about 10 seconds later mutters, "What the he!!?"

It seems of all the teams, KC has the absolute ugliest 2001 projected cap situation at $41 million OVER the cap.

Sure...Elvis counts for $20 million of that, but if you eliminate Elvis (which Bob Dole already realizes many would love to do yesterday...), we're still the second most over, with only Jacksonville in worse shape.

Bob Dole doesn't think we're getting what we apparently paid for.

<a href="http://espn.go.com/nfl/preview00/s/000826capclimate.html">Cringe here</a>

[This message has been edited by Robert_Dole (edited 08-27-2000).]

htismaqe
08-27-2000, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the post Bob Dole.

Our team is already addressing this situation ~ it's part of the reason for our youth movement.

The fourth BEST situation next year looked to be the Bills and they'll be $16 million over. That's not that much different from us after we renegotiate with Elvis.

I do think, howevr, that it's time for vets to put up... or get cut.

Luz
the newer, younger chiefs...

Devin Vierth
08-27-2000, 11:51 AM
Bob,

Too bad it doesn't show the other problems with the cap other than EG. It would be interesting to see where the majority of the other 20 million is.

------------------
bk

Fort Chief
08-27-2000, 11:55 AM
40 million over and a good portion of that money is tied up in:

Grbac
Glock
Williams

http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/frown.gif

htismaqe
08-27-2000, 12:02 PM
Grbac will renegotiate.

Glock is worth it (I know you dissagree Cannibal).

Williams (if he doesn't step up this year) is a hideous cap desaster.

Luz
maybe he will decide to retire and give some of his bonus back?... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Frazod
08-27-2000, 12:04 PM
Any one else take note that this is also Petersons last year of his contract? Will he stay to clean up the mess? I was just pondering that as I read the cap numbers. Thanks for posting this Bob.

Dan

[This message has been edited by The_Grand_Illusion (edited 08-27-2000).]

DaKCMan AP
08-27-2000, 12:06 PM
Did Williams even play or was he even at the last game? I don't remember hearing his name mentioned at all.

htismaqe
08-27-2000, 12:18 PM
Morphius,

Chet didn't play, and Williams didn't start.

I don't remember hearing his name either, but either way (played or not), I love that Gun is lighting a fire under him.

Everyone should remember that our 'starting' D against Tampa was not our starting DL.

Luz
i'd also be curious to know how muck (little) he played...

Joe Seahawk
08-27-2000, 02:07 PM
won't grbac and williams still count against us if we cut them after the year? what about a trade? what would the salary cap be like then?

------------------
~Thats why they call me slim shady~

b-squared
08-27-2000, 02:15 PM
Yeah Bob I saw this also. the thing I found odd is the writer wasn't freaking out about it. He seemed to think Carolina was locked in cap hell but not the Chiefs. What gives? Do they know something we don't cuz I was stunned when I saw the number. Grbac will still be $5 million of so even with renegotiation. that puts us at $26 mill over. Just glad its not my checkbook http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

htismaqe
08-27-2000, 02:34 PM
Dave, et al...

What the article doesn't discuss is how much of these numbers are:

1) Bonuses yet to be paid.
2) Bonuses already paid and now being pro-rated (and what year of pro-rating is it).
3) How much of it is actual salary.

It makes a huge difference. The higher percentage of the overage that is base salery, the easier it is to cut that player and create a lot of room.

The worst case is to have paid most of your money out in bonuses that still have many years to accrue (I suspect this is Carolina's problem).

Bonuses yet to be paid mean nothing because we don't have to pay them (we can renegotiate, or cut the player without repercission).

This is why I cringe when some of our local bb 'experts' get on the bb and want to crucify Carl about our cap or contract negotiations when (unless you're privey to inside info) it is imposible to judge the ramifications.

History tells us that he and Thrum have done an outstanding job in this arena, and to not acknowlege it is pure bias.

Luz
i'll probably be accused of spin on this too...

htismaqe
08-27-2000, 03:08 PM
Bob Dole doesn't even pretend to understand all the nuances of the NFL salary cap situation (nor does Bob Dole care to spend much time figuring it out.)

Bob Dole's point was that we see a team without a standout pro-bowl QB, without a go-to RB, and with serious questions in our defensive secondary, yet we've spent more money (on paper at least) than any other team in the league.

It's just difficult for Bob Dole to reconcile that, no matter what spin is applied.

[This message has been edited by Robert_Dole (edited 08-27-2000).]

Duck Dog
08-27-2000, 03:11 PM
I agree,
With the money we have spent, we should be superbowl bound at least 5 years. Look at the Yankees.

Pam
wants to have a NAME BRAND (if you will) Quarterback.

08-27-2000, 03:16 PM
Luz,
Gotta agree with your earlier assesment.
Glock will stay, and more than likely renegotate, same with Grbac.

(hoping they both have great seasons to make it worth it)

As for the others, did those figures take into account Risons release? also with some of the veterans that will more than likely be released, or redo there contracts, I really doubt by midseason those numbers will still be that high. IMHO

Cannibal
08-27-2000, 04:27 PM
As I recall, I read somewhere last year that this offseason we were slated to be something like $20-25 mil over the cap.

As was mentioned, most of it is roster bonuses and high base salaries, which get renegotiated. Elvis has a huge roster bonus and a huge base salary next year that he will never see for example: If he sucks, he gets cut. If he's good, he gets a new contract.<P>

redshirt32
08-27-2000, 04:40 PM
Bob:

I have already been on record as saying that the quality of Pro-Bowl type QB's is VERY SCARCE, hence the fact that you don't see KC with one. But that is not the case with RB's, and I stand in conviction of Carl and the Chiefs in not being able to snag one of them.

As for our defensive secondary, well we got complacent with the quality that we have had over the last few years and age crept up on us and we didn't see it. We have only ourselves to blame there.

I am not worried about next years cap, as much as the fact we will probably go 8-8 or 7-9 again and draft in another slot where we will not get a quality offensive player that we need(QB or RB).

mmaddog

------------------
"When you're not the lead dog in the pack, the view is always the same"