PDA

View Full Version : Decent Backup QB Might Be Availabe

milkman
08-24-2000, 05:42 PM
Shane Matthews, apparent odd-man-out in the Bears QB shuffle, might become availabe for the right price. According to stories in the press up here, Matthews will get good playing time in the upcoming Bears/Titans game in an attempt to showcase his talents for prospective takers. The Bears haven't decided whether or not to dump him, but it is a likely possibility.

Matthews certainly ain't no Joe Montana, but is a decent QB and VASTLY SUPERIOR to any of our backups (hell, he might even give Elvis a run for his money). I posted his '99 stats below (remember, he shared starting time with McNown and Miller).

Were I Carl, I'd give this guy some serious consideration. Currently we're screwed if anything happens to Elvis.

SHANE MATTHEWS PASSING STATS

Att 275
Comp 167
Yds 1645
Comp % 60.7
Yds/Att 6.0
TD 10
TD % 3.6
INT 6
INT % 2.2
Long 56
Sack/Lost 13/79
Rating 80.6

redbrian
08-24-2000, 06:12 PM
Not bad, considering the Bears basically used QBbC.

milkman
08-24-2000, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I never thought about it that way. The Bears' QBBC worked out about as well as our RBBC. I always felt that Matthews got the shaft in Chicago. He needs a fresh start, preferably in RED.

08-24-2000, 06:51 PM
I can honestly say I have never been at all impressed with either Collins or White. I have seen Mathews play, and he seems compatent enough. And considering the style of offense in Chicago he may as yet have alot of talent. and If Moon does go, we need another QB with experiance.

scooter
08-25-2000, 09:50 AM
Paul Justin might be another candidate. I was always impressed with his play here in Indy.

Any thoughts on Steve Stenstrom? He might keep the seat warm until we can draft/find a better 3rd string prospect.

Fat Homer
08-25-2000, 09:52 AM
Didn't we draft that guy?!

Steve Strenstrom is another guy we drafted who Chicago picked up.

scooter
08-25-2000, 09:56 AM
Stenstrom went from Chicago to S.F. I'm not sure who he's with now, but I did hear his name in a pre-season game. He might be a stop gap at 3rd string.

Another possibility is whoever loses out in the S.F. derby. They drafted Carmazzi and Rattay. I'm not thrilled with either but I can't see them keeping both. Eiher might make for a good QB project behind Moon.

Coogs
08-25-2000, 10:00 AM
Exactly HC!! We already drafted and dumped BOTH of these guys!

Do you really think CP will accept a mistake at this level, and give them another shot?

NO CHANCE MY FRIENDS!!!

fyi, steve young is available. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
ct
the freedom of choice is truth
the fear to choose is [b]hypocricy</B>

Fat Homer
08-25-2000, 10:27 AM
IN - If Rattay is released, we had better sign him up!! (Or I'll blow a gasket & chuck rotten eggs & shad-sides into CP's vehicle)

Time Rattay is going to be a good QB some day -- I just know it.

alanm
08-25-2000, 10:42 AM
IMO, we do not need another backup QB. We already have [2] of them. Actually, I think we have [3] of them, counting Grbac.

We need a QBOTF.

I donít think Grbac is our QBOTF. He will do until we grow one, but he is not the franchise QB we need. Moon obviously isnít it. Collins is not an improvement over Grbac. White had an opportunity, but he failed.

Itís time to accept that and start the hunt over again. Pick up a diamond in the rough QB and give him a shot to hold the clipboard.

xoxo~
gaz
now accepting applicants for the QBOTF position.<BR>

scooter
08-25-2000, 10:54 AM
And therein lies our difference Gaz. I hold to the idea that EG can be an Aikman type QB (one notch below the Marinos and Montannas of the world).

Assuming last year is the rule and not the exception I see no problem with our starting QB. However backups are another matter. Moon will be gone next year, White failed miserably and Collins seems to have lost whatever he had.

With Moon departing next year I see a large need for a capable arm behind EG. Now for this year if we want to keep Collins seat warm while we find a prospect then go for Justin/Mathews/etc. If we want Moon's successor now then go for a Rattay/Carmazzi.

Dartgod
08-25-2000, 10:57 AM
Gaz,
You hit the nail on the hammer.

Keep thinkin!

redbrian
08-25-2000, 12:14 PM
IMO, there are 3 ways to acquire a great QB:

1. Draft one - This usually involves a top 10 draft pick, unless you win the "draft lottery" like Denver did with TD.

2. Sign a free agent/trade - almost impossible, since no team is going to let their star QB go for any sort of trade. There are exceptions to the rule, like Favre and Steve Young (guys who exploded AFTER being traded), but you'd have a better chance of picking up the next TD in round 6, IMO.

3. Develop a raw talent into an elite QB - This might be the most improbable of all. IMO the great QBs are great from the moment they enter the NFL...they've either got it or they don't, save a few exceptions (Favre and Young again).

IMO #1 is the only real option, since #2 and #3 are based on almost pure luck. If KC is ever going to get an "elite" QB, Carl will either have to make a colossal trade to move up in the draft, or go through a 2 or 3 win season in the right year.

------------------
This is my signature!! There are many like it but this one is mine!!

DoktorSmith
08-25-2000, 12:24 PM
The Chiefs have never been very good at drafting or "growing" QBs...why?...I don't have the answer...but part of the problem is the restrictions our offense places on the passing game...be it because we are afraid of our QBs or because we are a smashmouth team...I don't know...but I'd like to see them just let EG go crazy...then we will know once and for all wether he is our QB or not..

I can't imagine any starting QB becoming available after this week's cut down...maybe a better backup then we have...so it looks like our only hope lies in Grbac, trade, FA, draft....

Please Elvis, play smart....

------------------
joe
"I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather...Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car." (j. handy)

Raiderhader
08-25-2000, 12:27 PM
I agree with Clint about how to acquire a Franchise QB...

Other lottery winners include, SF--getting Joe Montana in 3rd round. St. Louis--getting Kurt Warner, UDFA. Miami--getting Marino w/27th Pick in 1983.

There have been others via Trade, but it is rare. The only trades I can think of is Brett Farve and Mark Brunell.

08-25-2000, 12:28 PM
Just curious, Who originaly drafted Collins?
I could have swore we did, but maybe I'm wrong?

Raiderhader
08-25-2000, 12:34 PM
John: Buffalo, 2nd Round 1995...

Source NFLDraft.net (http://www.nfldraft.net/history/95draft.htm)

alanm
08-25-2000, 12:39 PM
Is Grbac still due that obscene roster bonus next season?

xoxo~
gaz
trying to determine if Grbac is worth keeping.<BR>

DoktorSmith
08-25-2000, 12:41 PM
Gaz, yep, but what do you want to bet he's gone before we have to pay him unless of course he takes us to Graceland....

------------------
joe
"I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather...Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car." (j. handy)

Coogs
08-25-2000, 12:43 PM
Yes, he is gaz.

BTW, Mathews was an undrafted FA out of Florida. But I swear KC picked him up briefly before he went to Chicago.

And re. Paul Justin..Why?

[This message has been edited by coryt (edited 08-25-2000).]

Snapper
08-25-2000, 12:44 PM
I am a Grabac supporter. However I feel that we need a QB of the future. Shane Matthews would not be a bad choice. I would like to see them grab a young guy after the cut date. The sad thing is if Elvis gets hurt we will go no where.

Hoover
http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/frown.gif<BR>

Fat Homer
08-25-2000, 12:47 PM
If KC decides to stick with a 'smashmouth' (i.e., run first, run second, oh screw it, just run!) O, doesn't it make sense to have an athletic QB who can make something out of nothing?

That has always puzzled me - we predicate our O success on the run - but we want a solid pocket-passer because? Why do we want an immobile QB? The running game is vicious, aggressive... strike hard at the point of attack & blast your opponent. Then, we switch to passive "ooh, I hope we don't screw it up - take a sack if necessary" passing game. What the heck is that all about? IMHO, that is why KC's O is so bland... so predictable - we are aggressive runners, but passive passers(no pun intended). When Gannon was at the helm, a play would break down - yet we'd still gain yards because of his scrambling ability. Montana did a bit of scrambling too (scared the hell outta me when he did). Look at Tennessee: McNair is basically a big RB that can throw. We need mobility at the QB position -- or we need an outstanding pocket-passer.... right now, we have neither.

alanm
08-25-2000, 12:47 PM
If he is due that big bonus, he should not be in the red & gold next season, no matter how well he performs. He is not worth that kind of bonus.

Problem: that means we have no QB next season.

Problem deepens: we have no QBOTF candidate on the roster.

Problem gets even deeper: that means we either must
1. Keep Collins [certainly no improvement].
2. Play a draft rookie QB.

xoxo~
gaz
just bummed himself out.<BR>

redbrian
08-25-2000, 12:48 PM
Titus,

I agree that there have been a few great QBs picked outside the top 10, but those guys were (or were clearly going to be) outstanding from day 1. There wasn't much "grooming" going on with Warner or Montana.

IMO the whole theory of grooming a QB is somewhat bogus. Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, etc. were going to be great QB no matter who drafted them or coached them, and except for the occasional "one-year wonder", it's extremely rare for a QB to develop into a consistently great QB if they started out as average to below average. That's one reason why I have such a hard time buying the "Give Elvis a chance to develop" argument. He's at or near 30 years old. He already has developed into the kind of QB he's going to be for the rest of his career. Even Testeverde had ONE good year when he was younger!

------------------

Fat Homer
08-25-2000, 12:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR>We need mobility at the QB position -- or we need an outstanding pocket-passer<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OR, we need a better system... one which correctly utilizes what we have.

(sorry to quote my own post -- too lazy to edit it) http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

redbrian
08-25-2000, 12:50 PM
Coryt,

I believe you're thinking of STEVE Matthews. He made Shane look like Elway.

I don't think they're related...

------------------

Fat Homer
08-25-2000, 01:00 PM
Umm... what happened to this post? Did it screw up for anyone else?

[This message has been edited by HC_Chief (edited 08-25-2000).]

Raiderhader
08-25-2000, 01:02 PM
Clint: If you remember right after Marino's retirement announcement, many websites had posted some 'reviews' from the pundits at the time as to whether or not Marino would succeed in the NFL--many of them thought he was a million dollar arm w/a 10 cent head.

Obviously, they were wrong.

Many of the other QB's who were not top 10 picks, were allowed to play, to grow on the field.

Remeber Farve's first couple of years? He was an INT machine. Manning, same. Bledsoe, he lead his team to a 2-14 record or something like that. In all of these cases the QB was played and they kept sending him out there. Testeverde never looked good in Tampa and neither did Steve Young.

A QB is one thing, but you also have to have a good supporting cast.

As far as the 'developing' thing, he's not 'developing', but last year was his first full year as a starter. He had never been the 'starter' before in SF and his other two years with KC were marred by injury.

You gotta give they guy a chance to succeed or you will never know.

alanm
08-25-2000, 01:11 PM
We are rapidly approaching a sticky wicket.

Elvis is due a HUGE bonus next season. There is no F-bombing way he deserves that bonus. Therefore, Elvis is not in red & gold next season.

So, letís look at the heirs to the throne:

1. Moon. Not likely. He was one of the best, but is too old to be the every down QB. Not the QBOTF.

2. Collins. A push at best, perhaps even a drop in quality. Not a viable candidate for QBOTF.

3. White. Had his chance and failed. He has a great arm, but is not QBOTF material.

So then, where is the Chiefsí QBOTF?

xoxo~
gaz
coming up empty.<BR>

Raiderhader
08-25-2000, 01:14 PM
Gaz: Next years draft or Arena league.

alanm
08-25-2000, 01:21 PM
KCTitus-

So we start a pure rookie at QB? Youíre talking about the Chiefs, but youíre thinking about someone elseÖ

The decision on which QB gets cut will show us a glimpse of our future. If we keep Moon as #2, then we will either keep Grbac [unacceptable without a MAJOR restructure and elimination of that obscene bonus] or place our QBOTF hopes on White [unacceptable without a MAJOR improvement in his mental game].

If we keep Collins as #2, I think we might see him starting when Grbac is a bazillion-dollar cap casualty next season [unnacceptable without a MAJOR upgrade in his performance].

The only hope on the horizon would be if we picked up a young QB who failed to make the roster on another team and turned him over to Moon for a year of intense seasoning.

xoxo~
gaz
as far as he can see, the QB future in KC looks pretty bleak.<BR>

Mike
08-25-2000, 01:25 PM
The loser of the third QB battle in Pittsburgh should be released (Tee Martin or Anthony Wright). I know Pittsburgh's not exactly QB central, but I'm just throwing a name or two out there (I don't know much about either, but I'm sure they're no worse than what we've got, and they're YOUNG).

Also, for the Rattay supporters, I only saw one of his games (and it was the Senior Bowl) and he was unimpressive. I thought he may be a QB of the system. What makes everyone so high on him? Has he done well this preseason?

alanm
08-25-2000, 01:32 PM
I think HC_Chief made an excellent point in Post #24.

With our excellent OL and ďmodifiedĒ smashmouth strategy, we need a mobile QB. Someone who will take off and scramble for a first down when the opportunity presents itself. As much as we hope Grbac will improve, he is not that kind of QB. Imagine our O with a QB who was a threat to take off with the ball. Anything that adds another dimension to our shallow attack would be a good thing.

With that awful bonus hanging over our heads, it is not too soon to begin thinking about this situation. I know the season is about to start and it is tough to think about the terrible drought waiting next spring and summer, but this is a potential screamer for our team in the not-so-distant future.

xoxo~
gaz
worrying early to avoid the rush.<BR>

Raiderhader
08-25-2000, 01:33 PM
Gaz: there is NO way to find a young QB out there and 'season' him without playing him. It's impossible. It wont work.

This is another case where philosophy must change. A QB does not learn the game holding a clipboard. A QB learns the game on the field at game speed.

This is yet another reason why, we have never been able to get a decent QB, because we dont play them.

I cannot think of ONE successful QB in this league that sat on the sidelines for 5 years and when he first set foot on the field, became an instant success. It doesnt happen...thus the 'rag' on Elvis.

The guy maybe 30, but in reality, he's a 3rd year QB and his first two years severly hindered his ability to learn how to play the game.

If there were a success story in 'learning from the sidelines', I might be inclined to give KC the BOTD, but I cant think of one.

alanm
08-25-2000, 01:39 PM
Iíve been impressed with Grbacís improvement since The Leash was removed, and have accepted the sad truth that he is probably the best QB in the AFC West at the moment.

But that roster bonus is unacceptable.

I would be willing to accept the mistakes of a rookie QB, and I think that is the best solution, but I have a hard time picturing Gunther turning the Offense over to a first-year QB.

What I donít have as hard a time picturing is Collins at QB next season. I am not thrilled with that prospect, but I am quickly running out of alternatives to consider.

Can you make that megabuck bonus disappear?

xoxo~
gaz
apparently painted into a corner when he wasnít looking.<BR>

Snapper
08-25-2000, 01:42 PM
Gaz

I don't want to see Elvis get that roster bonus next year either. However Elvis had a good year last year, lets wait and see what he can do now. If he has a good year (aka Pro Bowl) then I think we should extend his contract. if not then we should go our own ways.

Hoover
Elvis to the pro Bowl!!!

Fat Homer
08-25-2000, 01:48 PM
"Elvis to the ProBowl" - or the unemployment line! Like I said before, this is his last year to prove what he's got. If he doesn't show improvement over last season (and I mean real improvement - not just 10-15 more yards), then we need to cut our losses & start anew.

alanm
08-25-2000, 01:49 PM
Hoover-

Even if he goes to the Pro Bowl, how can we justify that bonus?

xoxo~
gaz
perhaps heís just too cheap.<BR>

Raiderhader
08-25-2000, 01:49 PM
Gaz: as you know, I have never subscribed to the 'leash' theory with the possible exception of the Baltimore game. I have maintained that it's a philosophy driven result rather than a 'protect Elvis' plan.

I think Elvis play toward the end of the year, was a major result of having played all year.

scooter
08-25-2000, 02:06 PM
Gentlemen (and Gaz) *S*, if we've learned nothing from the Broncs then let us learn the ins and outs of capology.

Elway's contract was negoiated every year he was there it seemed. The reason was to put off obscene bonuses.

That $10mill figure will be capologied away next year just as it was this year. At the moment it's just a number on paper and that's all it was ever intended to be.

redbrian
08-25-2000, 03:59 PM
I would have no problem giving the Pats a first round pick for Michael Bishop...well, maybe a little problem, but I'd do it anyway, if I were in charge!

------------------

Fat Homer
08-25-2000, 04:03 PM
Someone needs to convince Michael Vick to drop out of college, then sign with KC as an UDFA. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

htismaqe
08-25-2000, 04:28 PM
Gaz,

You said:

"Elvis is due a HUGE bonus next season. There is no F-bombing way he deserves that bonus. Therefore, Elvis is not in red & gold next season."

Don't you think we should let him play the sason first?

Besides, as has been pointed out, he will never collect that bonus (his contract will be renegotiated).

Luz
thinking this is much ado about nothing...<P>

shakesthecat
08-25-2000, 04:44 PM
Matthews might make a capable back up, however, there are now 3 or 4, young QBs, who will have to pass waivers, to be placed on the Practice squad. the 49ers, have their 3rd round, Carmazzi, and 7th round, Rattay. The Titans, have Keven Daft, second yr pro from Utah, and Volek, undrafted free agent from Fresno St. The Cowboys have, Stoerner, from Arkansas, and Polloi, until last night, I had never heard of him. And someone mentioned the Wright/Martin combo in Pittsburgh. Obviously, unless these clubs go with four on the roster, one has to be placed on waivers. IMO, everyone one of them is better than White, and the Chiefs, should get one for the third QB, get a vet, or stick with Moon or Collins. I have watched every one except Wright and think anyone of them could be a QBOTF.

Mike
08-25-2000, 04:48 PM
I'm sure glad Clint's not in charge. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif
You weren't serious? A 1st rounder for a player who has proven nothing in the NFL, besides performing good against 2nd and 3rd teamers?

shakesthecat
08-25-2000, 09:09 PM
Living in Knoxville, I have been watching the Titans and Chicago. Matthew came in midway thru the 3rd quarter, Tennessee leading 31-7. Three straight TD's, and a 2 pt conversion. Also, Tennessee 4th QB, Volek, played two series, one pass to his TE, about 40 yards, the rest just handoffs. This guy would be much better than Ted White.

Dartgod
08-25-2000, 10:00 PM
Darius Jackson from Denver will probably be waived, with Bronco hopes of him clearing waivers. The Chiefs should grab this kid. A real sweet arm and foot speed.

milkman
08-25-2000, 10:03 PM
Wow. Sounds like in a quarter-and-a-half my boy Shane outplayed ALL of our current QBs in all four preseason games combined. Wouldn't you love this guy in KC?

The problems with such a performance are (1) the Bears will be a lot less likely to part with him now; (2) if they do, a lot more teams will be interested; and (3) his pricetag probably just rose to the point we couldn't get him, anyway.

In other words, we're probably screwed.

But I must say that a little personal validation is a good thing.

The-Man
08-25-2000, 10:30 PM
Clint what makes me sick is the Chiefs could of gotten Bishop for god sakes in the latter rounds!!They passed because they didn't think he had the smarts....Pats love him and I would love to have him on our team....We clearly have no back up...Bishop would of been a steal in the latter rounds.

Mike
08-25-2000, 11:03 PM
flowergirl - Was that actually reported, that the Chiefs passed up on him because they had doubts about his smarts? I would think they passed on him because he's short. You know Gunther loves small players. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

Mike
08-25-2000, 11:14 PM
I worry more about our starting QB than our backups. If ANY starting QB goes down, his team is usually affected negetively. The starting QB is much more important to the team, and Grbac hasn't shown me anything this preseason to make me any more comfortable.

The-Man
08-25-2000, 11:22 PM
GMan...I guess I should of said alot of teams passed on him because of the smarts...I remember that being a real issue about him.

Mike
08-25-2000, 11:31 PM
Relating to the combine test results?

The Blessed Virgin Larry
08-25-2000, 11:49 PM
It WILL NOT matter who the QB is in Raye's JOKE of a system. Is it by chance that ALL our QB's $UCK? I don't think so. The PROBLEM is in the BOOTH people and it has been for 3 years. I think that Gun FINALLY knows this now. He pointed the finger at the offense at the half. Even the old reliable "smashmouth" WON'T help this year becaus we have NO "D" to save the offense. We're looking at 4-12 and id DIDN'T have to be this way. Tom Rossley is GONE to Green bay and Al Saunders is GONE to the Rams. BOTH are would be BETTER Offensive Coordinators than Jimmy-dis-a Raye! Don't even get me started on old Kurt! One word sums things up - PATHETIC!

redbrian
08-26-2000, 05:35 AM
G_Man (re #44)

Yeah, it's risky, but wouldn't our 1st pick be used on a guy that hasn't proven anything, anyway?

------------------

alanm
08-26-2000, 07:39 AM
If your pop a cap in that enormous bonus, then I can live with Grbac as my QB for a few seasons while we mine and polish our diamond in the rough QB. I still do not believe he is the long-term answer for the Chiefs, although he is probably the best QB in the AFC West at this time [preseason impressions to the contrary].

Grbac is a temporary solution to a long-term problem, IMO. We have not had a franchise QB for a long, long time. I applaud the attempt to find a QBOTF in White, but that experiment is terminated. We need to find our QBOTF. Renegotiate that ludicrous bonus out of existence and rely on Grbac until the quest bears fruit. Either the bonus goes, or Grbac goes.

xoxo~
gaz
willing to stick with Grbac provided the bonus is gone.<BR>

KCTitus
08-26-2000, 09:23 AM
I agree with Bill Mass's assessment on Grbac last night. For those of you that missed it, the bottom line is Mass thinks we not only have an issue at backup QB, but at starter also.

I would go after Shane Mathewes. If we start out 0-3, (I watched some of the Cards- Chargers game. Leaf is going to be the best QB in the west this year) I hand the riegns over to Mathewes to grow with the rest of the youth on the team.

KCTitus
08-26-2000, 09:25 AM
Matthews! Sorry, didn't know how he spelled his name.

alanm
08-26-2000, 09:28 AM
Coogs-

A really cool feature of this BB is that you can edit your posts when you misspell something. Click on the "pencil & paper" icon at the top of the post and you can edit and repost.

xoxo~
gaz
unfortunately will be using that feature a lot.<BR>

WarPaint
08-26-2000, 10:39 AM
According the San Fran Examiner the 49ers will carry 4 QB's. So it doesn't look like we could lean toward Carmazzi or Rattay for a third QB.

WarPaint
08-26-2000, 10:39 AM
According the San Fran Examiner the 49ers will carry 4 QB's. So it doesn't look like we could lean toward Carmazzi or Rattay for a third QB.

Mike
08-26-2000, 12:53 PM
Clint - Yes, any draft pick is unproven. But Bishop was a 7th rounder, right? I know there are some exceptions, but I'd assume most players drafted in the 7th were there for a purpose. I think he could be had for less anyway.

shakesthecat
08-27-2000, 10:08 AM
Sorry to hear of the 49ers plans, they are keeping both in case Mirer doesn't pan out, and the fact Carmazzi is a 3rd rounder, who has been outplayed by Rattay. Titans released Daft, I think he would be better to try to develop than White, but was hoping for Volek. Dallas will probably let Polloi go, that might be the one to replace Ted White. BTW, it was said somewhere, the Bears would not trade Matthew to a Central division team. Meaning they are not going to give him up for nothing.

htismaqe
08-27-2000, 10:38 AM
I haven't followed him closely, but if Mathews is good (and has potential to be better), I would be in favor of exploring that option.

Keep Moon, put White on the practice squad, and dump Collins.

Luz
i could see that...

milkman
08-27-2000, 04:39 PM
Just picked this up on KFFL.

Bears | Matthews Update- posted at KFFL (www.kffl.com)
2:37 ET: The Chicago Tribune reports if the Chicago Bears trade QB Shane Matthews, it likely will not be to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers or Minnesota Vikings, whom both showed interest in Matthews during the off-season.

Looks like Matthews may be on the trading block. Wonder if we'll make a move? Wonder if Carl has even considered it?

Duck Dog
08-27-2000, 04:43 PM
Clint Storener looked great with the Cowboys the other night?

Did we even LOOK at him????????????

HC_Chief
08-27-2000, 04:54 PM
I really have trouble believing you guys see anything in Bishop...He is a dumb Kordell Stewart....He can make something happen in a trick play or something, but he is no more of a real NFL QB than Stewart is...

shakesthecat
08-27-2000, 05:15 PM
All right in an earlier post, I named 4 teams with young QBs, that might be cut, whom I believed, all were better than Ted White. Granted it is hard to believe, anyone would let the next Elway, Marino, Unitas, etc go, however, we need to cut Moon and pick up someone who can absorb the system this year. San Fran has not made any cuts yet, but so far, Titans let Daft go, I preferred Volek, Dallas let both Stoerner, and Polari go, toss up there. And the Steelers let Wright go, and kept Martin. We need one of these guys, and let Moon go check out housing in Houston.

shakesthecat
08-27-2000, 05:17 PM
Also forget this crap about Michael Bishop, he is never going to be a starting QB, barring injury.

Duck Dog
08-27-2000, 05:19 PM
I hope that Carl and Gunther seriously look at Storener. I really believe that he could do good things for us.

redshirt32
08-27-2000, 05:29 PM
The Steelers released Anthony Wright, the former Qb for South Carolina. He has mobility, a good arm, and didn't look too bad in his time with the Steelers. I saw him quite a bit here at South Carolina and he has all the tools that White didn't. Toss Collins and let Warren Moon tutor this guy.

mmaddog

------------------
"When you're not the lead dog in the pack, the view is always the same"

chiefs2034
08-27-2000, 07:10 PM
I hate to be a pessimist but we're screwed with Elvis!

He didn't show any smarts when going back to pass, he still stared down his receivers.

[This message has been edited by TomCash (edited 08-27-2000).]

[This message has been edited by TomCash (edited 08-27-2000).]