PDA

View Full Version : Who or What decides which games are blacked out?

Dusto
05-07-2003, 12:48 PM
I order the sports package from Dishnetwork so that I could watch the Royals play, but so far the games have been blacked out. Dishnetwork has told me that they have no controle over which games are blocked or not.

tk13
05-08-2003, 01:03 AM
That's controlled by MLB...much like the NFL controls blackouts. Each team has a market area that is determined by MLB, and that area is blacked out in the "Extra Innings" package, presumably because you should be able to pick it up on your local Fox Sports Net channel that comes with your basic package. That's how it worked on DirecTV anyways.

That's where this new Royals TV Network throws the loop into it. Since they've broken off and created their own company to produce games, they're not on any Fox Sports Net channel like every other American team, they're selling this themselves to cable and satellite companies...so you don't get that with your basic satellite package. I don't know if there's really any other way to pick up the Royals unless your local cable company makes a deal to air RSTN games...

I believe that's all correct, Skip Towne would be the true expert on this, but I think I'm fairly accurate.

Dusto
05-08-2003, 05:38 AM
Thanks for the info.