PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else concerned about the lack of receivers??

Woodrow
08-31-2000, 11:14 PM
Seems foolish to ONLY have 4 receivers on the roster. Especially when you consider that only 2 have game experience. Anybody heard anything here?

flowergirl
08-31-2000, 11:16 PM
Elvis only throws to Gonzalez. I don't see why we need four!

mikey23545
08-31-2000, 11:16 PM
TX - Hall will be used as a WR as well, so that would make 5. The big problem is if someone gets injured, then we could run into problems.

TheFly
08-31-2000, 11:19 PM
I'm only mildly concerned. If anyone becomes injured, we could have some trouble.... Which team was it that kept 7 or 8 WR's? Somebody kept an amazing amount of WR's. On their first injury, they'll have to drop a WR to pick up a backup to the injured position because they used much of their depth on WR.....

58Forever
08-31-2000, 11:22 PM
Didn't you guys add a WR to the practice squad??

------------------

"Those who want respect ...... give respect"
[b]Tony Soprano</B>

gh4chiefs
08-31-2000, 11:22 PM
Gonzo will also see time in the WR sets, with Drayton at TE...

mikey23545
08-31-2000, 11:23 PM
jq - 2 WR on our practice squad.

Woodrow
08-31-2000, 11:25 PM
That's right, I forgot that Gonzo will line up wide. Well at least then we KNOW Grbac will complete a pass to a WR!!

BigTiger
08-31-2000, 11:25 PM
The so-called 4 receiver set will be interesting. They will all be out there.

Of course, my bet is that Gonzalez splits out more to WR this year. I am glad that FINALLY a rookie first rounder is going to get some playing time.

BigTiger
08-31-2000, 11:28 PM
The big question is what is going to happen if Gonzo gets hurt?

And it is likely to happen with all the throws he's going to get over the middle. If I'm a safety playing against him, I know I'm going to be gunning for him every passing down!

gh4chiefs
08-31-2000, 11:39 PM
Well we have two good quality backup TE's but Gonzo is our bread and butter. He is the superstar. Him going down is like when Aikman lost Michael Irvin in the past, there was no go to guy anymore. Unless the Cat becomes Moss-esque real quick, we'd be in trouble...

Devin Vierth
09-01-2000, 08:18 AM
I think it's a big mistake to have only kept 4 WR's, especially when you look at the inexperience we have with Parker and Morris.
I would have liked to seen the Chiefs go after another receiver before the season started, but we'll just have to see how the Gonzo experiment works out, as well as Hall at wideout/flanker.

Hall could be extremely interesting if you could set him up on a screen or flare play. His value will be quickness, not fighting off defenders.

Kurt Surber
09-01-2000, 08:52 AM
I guess this pretty much sums up how important the passing phase of our offense will be this year.

G_Man
09-01-2000, 08:53 AM
Keeping only 4 WR's is a bonehead move. It isn't even like our starting 4 has experience or chemistry.

Alexander- really a #2 guy. Very streaky, can disappear for weeks at a time.

Lockett - good possession receiver. Very good hands, but not that big and was nursing a bad toe most of preseason.

Parker - ?? Who knows. Gunther benched him for the season after the Indy fumble.

Morris - Tons of potential, but very little practice time. Wasn't given much playing time, if any, with the first unit in preseason. Knock on him in college was inability to run crisp routes, if so, can Elvis connect with him? (Elvis needs crisp routes).

If KC falls behind, which is possible with Indy and Tenn. over the next few weeks it will be near impossible for us to mount a comeback.

revolver808
09-01-2000, 09:02 AM
I think our WR's are pretty slim this year. With the loss of Horn, Vanover & Rison, I would have thought we would have picked up a free agent WR somewhere in the off season.

shakesthecat
09-01-2000, 09:12 AM
I think KCTitus is right. This indicates that the passing game is not a primary weapon this season. For all the talk about opening up the Offense, we are looking more and more like a '50s smashmouth team.

Maybe next year.

xoxo~
gaz
feeling sorry for Grunhard's butt.<BR>

Devin Vierth
09-01-2000, 09:18 AM
I tend to agree with Titus.

If you look at the emphasis of the Chiefs offense, it has always been placed on the running game. This year will be no different. I think the Chiefs coaches/mgmt have convinced themselves that they have to focus on controlling the ball more so than ever, with the uncertainties that exist on the defensive side of the ball.

Due to lack of position skill from the QB and WR positions, look for the Chiefs to run quick out's and slant patterns. They develop their most trouble when they have receivers running over 15 yd patterns. As well, Elvis has shown little capability of striking the long ball when needed (not to mention our lack of WR speed).

Safe, ball-controlled, low risk passing offense may be boring to watch, but it may be the only thing that will keep us in most ballgames. This weekend's game is no exception.

This is my take and I'm sticking to it.

mikey23545
09-01-2000, 09:40 AM
Sorry, but I have to get this off my chest. I'm more disappointed in the way we pass to our receivers. I hate the fact that almost all of our pass routes are set by a receiver having to stop catch the ball and then try to turn up field. I would really like to see more crossing routes with guys catching the ball on the run, because let's face it you are a heck of a lot easier to tackle when your standing still.

KC Jones
09-01-2000, 09:43 AM
morph,

I agree. DA is one of the very best at that. Were they just protecting him last season, or was he just not getting open? I'd like to see more of that, he is great to watch after the catch, not to mention crossing the middle is supposed to be a strength of the Cat and Parker also......?

Kurt Surber
09-01-2000, 09:45 AM
I too agree, Morph. If KC is serious about using both phases of offense, however, they would have done more with the WR position.

It seems to me that KC is treating the WR/Passing games as necessary evils to the game of football.

It's kind of sad, because I dont think we can be competitive w/o a good passing attack to complement our running game.

mikey23545
09-01-2000, 09:56 AM
Titus - I'm not really sure about that, though your point makes a lot of sense. I think we can expect to see a lot of Hall, Drayton, Gonzo and maybe even Cloud lined up in a WR slot this season.

Cormac - Exactly. Sure we might have our TE run a Post, and a WR run a corner route. But we always seem to run in's, out's and curl type patterns. Let these guys use their speed and ability to make things happen. Think how effective our running game would be if the RB just stood still until we handed him the ball and then started running forward.

Larry Reed
09-01-2000, 09:59 AM
I'd much rather have only four receivers. This puts Slymo in the fire immediately. I like this. Guy signed 3 weeks ago, and playing this soon. This is the Chiefs, right?<BR>

SPUTinKC
09-01-2000, 10:06 AM
At least Marv Levy had the balls to come out a call it a Winged T.

I sure hope our RBs can hang onto the rock.

Chieffan
09-01-2000, 10:13 AM
A handful of wide receivers...a few rookies starting for the Chiefs...just sounds like a rebuilding year to me. I bet all the opposing secondaries are going to be rather excited to play the Chiefs...kind of a bye week for them. But I do like to see that we have a coach (if it was his decision) that will play more rookies and take a chance...it may be our only option right now.

Kurt Surber
09-01-2000, 10:17 AM
Wrasse: I think that is the true hidden agenda of Preaseason and last offseason, the fact that this is a re-building year.

Chieffan
09-01-2000, 10:23 AM
Honestly though...I'm so damn excited (almost as much as watching the game on Sunday) that I'm getting my Gonzo jersey and very large Chiefs blanket to drape over my recliner today (at least it should get here today!). I can't wait to show all my cowboy-lovin' friends down in Texas http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

*Considers painting his house all red*

Even if it is a re-building year, I'm going to have fun with it and live and die with each game...and it will be great to see some new faces out there. I'm just happy the Cowgirls suck too (Please make Galloway a bust...please).

------------------
~Wrasse~

Chiefs fan stuck in Texas

[This message has been edited by Wra_sse (edited 09-01-2000).]

G_Man
09-01-2000, 10:39 AM
I think most are in agreement that this is indeed a rebuilding year for KC. I don't think our management realized this until late in camp, thus the reason for hanging onto and giving playing time to Rison and Dishman until near the end.

If so, should Elvis be the QB that we rebuild around? This is somewhat unusual. Most teams that rebuild focus on a QB (Chi- McNown, Phil -McNabb, Ind-Manning, Cin-Smith, Dallas-Aikman). This isn't a bash on Elvis, just a comment on where exactly is our team headed.

Chieffan
09-01-2000, 10:44 AM
OK - Ted White didn't perform too well but...if it is a rebuilding year, why go with Moon (age) over White (youth)? I guess I'm just not understanding everything. Then again, maybe he was just THAT bad http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/frown.gif

Devin Vierth
09-01-2000, 10:44 AM
Chiefnj - great take.

Most fans know in their heart that E is not our QBOTF. So, until we address this problem, we will not fully embrace the youth movement. For that matter, we will have to address the RBOTF as well.

Devin Vierth
09-01-2000, 11:00 AM
Chiefnj - great take.

Most fans know in their heart that E is not our QBOTF. So, until we address this problem, we will not fully embrace the youth movement. For that matter, we will have to address the RBOTF as well.

Multi1
09-01-2000, 11:12 AM
I guess I would rather see a 9-7 team that was rebuilding and looking better for the future than an aging declining team turning in the same record.

At least there is real potential in the future for out team with some of these young guys. I would alot rather see a young cb like warfield or Bartee get beat and learn something from it than Dishman getting beat because he is old..same thing with young recievers learning the ropes...vs watching Rison sit in Jail...

G_Man
09-01-2000, 11:15 AM
I wouldn't have a problem with a Cloud/Richardson backfield as our RBOTF to build around. I just think that the Elvis situation is strained at this point to rely on him for the QBOTF. The "strain" arising from his 20 million dollar bonus. Obviously, he will not get that money. So: 1) he can agree to renegotiate and stay in KC, in which we rebuild around an older average QB, 2) he can decide not to renegotiate w/ KC and will be released, or 3) he can renegotiate a lower deal and be traded. Am I missing an option? Building around a QB that you don't have locked up for a long term contract does not seem very prudent.

Devin Vierth
09-01-2000, 11:32 AM
I'm hoping it's option #3, and we go get our QB in the draft next year. In the mean time we dump Moon (and unfortunately keep Collins) after this season and look for a qualified backup who can start until our rookie QB can step in. That's my dream.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
09-01-2000, 11:56 AM
I love reading what everyone believes, and I learn a lot from all of you.

Having said that, I think most of you are nuts! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Elvis will be our QB for the next 5-7 years and will probably see several Pro Bowls. He has his faults, but I have seen consistant improvement in the areas that count. In his limited playing time this preseason, I watched him go to his second receiver a number of times (and even his third on one occasion). The key to his improvement is confidence and quite frankly, IMO the biggest hinderance to his development in KC are the fans (and media) that think they are a better judge of talant than NFL professionals (our team's, and others). The fact that he was (and is) able to overcome the boos and non-acceptance speaks volumes to me about his maturity and leadership ability.

As to the rest of our team...

We'll have to play the games. With parity the way it is, I don't see any reason the Chiefs can't be in the platoff hunt.

I do think that Chitown has hit on something that I hope to see... playing time from Hall.

His back is fine, yet Gun still Cloud working out at KR? Could they be planning on using Hall's speed in the Slot or to stretch the field? I hope so.

Luz
the chiefs could very well surprise...

TODD
09-01-2000, 12:07 PM
His back isn't fine, and he more than likely is not going to play on sunday.....I hope he does though.

58Forever
09-01-2000, 12:09 PM
luz,

If Elvis's biggest problem is confidence related, which ties into fan acceptance.... then he better be happy he's not playing in Philly or NY where the fans are brutal....

Just my opinion here but shouldn't checking off to secondary recivers be second nature to an NFL QB?.... You would have thought that he would have learned that playing in SF where the whole offense is predicated by checking receiver one,then two, etc...

------------------

"Those who want respect ...... give respect"
[b]Tony Soprano</B>

G_Man
09-01-2000, 12:34 PM
Luz,

If Elvis really improved in preseason don't you think he should have led the first unit offense to more than 1 lousy touchdown?

Woodrow
09-02-2000, 01:26 AM
Rebuilding year or not IMHO it's still a bonehead move to keep only 4 WR's. I know that Gonzo will line up outside and all but we still only have 4 wide receivers on the roster. one hard hit and we're in serious triuble. I'm scared to death that Jimmy Raye will uild our passing game around ALL our TE's and not just Gonzo. Elvis throwing into double coverage over the middle of the field is just plain scary. Such is the case with our flawed system.

elian
09-02-2000, 02:33 AM
Seems to be lots of doom and gloom, especially at this point talking about a rebuilding season. What have we lost or gained vs last year?
- 3 stooges (wash, we were 9/7 same crew)
- Rison(verse Morris/Parker) 21 catches no TDs. Morris/Parker upgrade
- Glen Parker vs Tait (Tait full training camp, no comparison (major upgrade)
- Riley 99 over weight (2000 ready to play)
- Shehee, Over weight Morris, and Bennett vs TR, Cloud, and Moreou (Major upgrade)
- DT verse Combination of Clemmons and Bush. Clemmons had more sacks, Bush better agains the run and in coverage.
- Browning vs Dan Williams (Williams was non existent last year) Browning has been a starter and will be more productive.
- Hicks is bigger, faster,another year experiance.
- Dishman vs Warfield. Don't think Warfield could play any worse.
- Tongue vs Wesley (short term downside)
- Over weight Vanover vs Parker and Hall. Parker and Hill will get more results
- Pope and our multitude of kickers vs Saurbraun (sp?) No contest major upgrade. How many games did our kickers cost us?
- Schedule is major down grade, but the quality of a team can change in one week, look at Denver and the Jets last year.

Seems like we have more positives than negatives coming back from our 9/7 year.
Chiefs will have to develop an attitude we have carried in the past. Based on pre-season it is just not there. Instead of doom and gloom, I prefer to believe it shows up this Sunday in Arrowhead!<BR>

DoktorSmith
09-02-2000, 08:10 AM
Since this has turned into a bash Elvis topic, I for one, think EG could lead us to a Super Bowl. With the parity in the lead, and the retirement of, Elway, Marino, Young, there are very few QBs that can singlehandedly achieve that mark. Therefore, most teams are playing with a slightly above average QB. It is mandatory, each team plays to the strength of its own team. If that is true, then we are in store, for a lot of smashmouth football, and EG will restructure his contract and be with the Chiefs for another 4 or 5 years. I am not necessarily happy about that, but looking around the league, this is going to be the norm, not the exception. This week we are facing the only pure passing young QB in the league, Couch of Cleveland is so far away from having a team around him, I don't consider him at all. At this stage can anyone say McCown, McNabb, Culpepper, King, etc., will outplay EG in these upcoming years. I doubt it, EG is playing in the KC offense, and until a change is made in the offensive mindset, he is as capable as anyone.

DoktorSmith
09-02-2000, 08:12 AM
That should be parity in the league, not lead.