PDA

View Full Version : Keys to beating the Colts

WarPaint
08-29-2000, 10:49 AM
1. Ball control. We all know that the talk of an opened up offense was just that, all talk. Our strength is our line and we need to pound the ball behind them. If we don't control the clock Indy's trio of terror will make us pay and the game could be over by the half.

2. Hasty on Harrison. The preseason soft zone scheme that Shaw implemented made Kurt Schottenheimers gameplans look brilliant. Scrap it. Get Hasty on Harrison and play tough bump and run. That's what KC's defense is all about, always had, always will.

3. Edwards on James. Hey Gun remember all of those screen passes that shredded our defense last year? Until you prove that you can stop it, expect the Colts to keep using it. Edwards supposedly has rare power and speed, let him shadow James and lay some vicious hits behind the line of scrimmage.

4. Elvis. Elvis must occassionally rotate his head. He locks onto a receiver like Chmura locks onto babysitters. At least look at your other receivers and acknowledge their existence before forcing the ball to Gonzalez.

5. DL needs to pressure Manning. Blitzing Manning will be dangerous, especially with our young guys at DB. Our front 4 needs to create havoc on their own. If for some stroke of luck Manning goes down - we win. If you thought our backups were bad take a look at Indy. As Gaz would say we need crush the QB.

-make Derrick proud.

[This message has been edited by Chiefnj (edited 08-29-2000).]

Fat Homer
08-29-2000, 11:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR>He locks onto a receiver like Chumura locks onto babysitters<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

D'OH! hahahahaha!! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Excellent post - I agree with every point.

Yosef_Malkovitch
08-29-2000, 11:03 AM
I totally agree with your 5 thoughts! However, I would like to add to your Ball Control and your final "Pressure Manning" thoughts. Put them together and you have, "Keep Manning off the field". If we can dominate time of possession, with less turnovers, we can easily win. We need to wear down their Defensive Line and in doing so, create more scoring opportunities for us. This is one game that I don't think we'll see an open offense unless we fall significantly behind early....

Yosef_Malkovitch
08-29-2000, 11:04 AM
I, also, wanted to show some love for the Chmura comment. Bravo!

Warrior5
08-29-2000, 11:08 AM
Excellent take Chiefnj,

#1. I hope TR remains in the game (as Anders would have done last season). I hope he is not just a token "starter" as Shehee, Bam et al. were last season. TR with a little Cloud and Anders mixed in is a recipe for ball control and a successful ground game.

#2. IMO this depends totally on #5. It'll be hard to shut down Harrison (even with Hasty), because of Harrison's speed and the flag-happy refs.

#3. Excellent point. I also hope Bush will step up and make plays on James also. IMO that's what he was brought here for, we could learn a lot about him in the first game. If Hasty contains Harrison, we'll need Bush on Dilger too.

#4. Wouldn't it be nice to see a pump-fake once in a while http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/eek.gif I am hoping Grbac will make further improvements over last season's good play, but I feel like his confidence must be a bit low after this preseason, and the fact that according to you all, he hasn't been looking around at his other options.

#5. Manning is notoriously difficult to sack. We must pressure him to win, but he can burn us in a million ways.

.....just to add........

Winning the T/O battle and reducing the number of penalties (the usual!) will be important also.

BIG_DADDY
08-29-2000, 11:26 AM
EXCELLENT TAKE!!!!!

Keep in mind the heat we'll be playing in. If we can't sustain drives and our defense is on the field for long they will wither and die. This game could get ugly and start the season off with a confidence shattering blow out http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
... Remember when you're feeling very small and insecure how amazingly unlikely is your birth, and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'coz there's bugger all down here on earth.

Coogs
08-29-2000, 01:34 PM
On the flipside kc jones, this game could also be a HUGE emotional springboard to carry us for several weeks!!

Great take chiefnj!! Absolutely agree on your points, but I would reorder them.

1. Ball control. Won't move this one at all. Give TRich the ball inside, outside, left and right. Sprinkle in some passes to Kimble and Mike, and we're set. NO FRICKIN DRIVE-KILLING PENALTIES!!! Then we're set.

2. Bush & Patton key on James. WE MUST CONTAIN JAMES TO WIN THIS FOOTBALL GAME!!

3. Pressure, pressure, PRESSURE Manning mercilessly with front four + Edwards + occasional CB or FS blitz.

4. Hasty on Harrison. I'll take my chances with this one-on-one matchup all day. I think we'll win more that we lose here.

5. Elvis needs to fake to Gonzo, use him as a decoy. Probably need to go his way 2-3 times early to set them up for...fly patterns for DA and SlyMo(not at the same time of course). Indy is very susceptable to the bomb. We can and will pull this one off on Sunday, mark my words!!

I'll add one more:

6. Contain the Colts return game. We absolutely cannot give the Indy3 good field position all day. We'll get killed if we do.

Maybe it's just me folks, or maybe it's these rose colored specs, but I think we're gonna win this one, I truly do.

------------------
ct
'Don't think meat, just throw.'

[This message has been edited by coryt (edited 08-29-2000).]

alanm
08-29-2000, 01:52 PM
Chiefnj-

You covered all the points so completely that I have nothing useful to add, save a hearty "well done, sir."

xoxo~
gaz
drooling at the opportunity to see his first crushed QB.

JOhn
08-29-2000, 01:57 PM
Chiefsnj,
Umm... Great thread...i guess there's nothing to add from me...
kcmax
impressed w/ the summary<BR>

shakesthecat
08-29-2000, 01:58 PM
Gaz - The first crunched QB you are going to see will probably be wearing red. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

alanm
08-29-2000, 02:05 PM
kcred-

Shame on you.

You are probably right, but shame on you anyway.

xoxo~
gaz
does not need his balloon burst right now.

kcred
08-29-2000, 03:20 PM
Since some smaque is being thrown at my RAIDERS today (amazing what moving TRich to HB did for your confidence level) I'm gong to post some counterpoints to this thread just for kicks...

<LI>1) I see Indy stacking the line of scrimage till KC proves they can move the ball through the air.

<LI>2) Indy will line up Harrison opposite Hasty and test newbie Warfield early and often. Harrison and Dilger will work the seams to death, forcing Atkins (Wesley?) to make proper reads....

<LI>3) Look for Edge to run at least one long sideline fly pattern to take advantage of his speed and receiving abiity,opening up the flare patterns for later.

<LI>4) Vic Fangio is going to make Elvis make decisions and force him to beat Indy... He will run blitz and make KC put the ball up in the air looking to take advantage of Elvis's mistakes.

<LI>5) Manning is hard to fluster... he makes quick decisions and play fakes very well... if he gets into an early groove, it's over....

I think that Elvis will feel the pressure of the huge crowd and DT tribute more than Manning will..... so the outcome is...
Indy 38
KC 17

------------------

"Those who want respect ...... give respect"
[b]Tony Soprano</B>