PDA

View Full Version : Clayton makes it sound like O'neal still wants to play.

Snapper
08-31-2000, 08:54 AM
From Espn

Leslie O'Neal has always been a favorite of Chiefs coach Gunther Cunningham. They go back to O'Neal's days with the Chargers when he was one of the league's most dominating defensive ends. But a contract disagreement led to their parting ways Wednesday.

O'Neal restructured his deal and lowered his base salary $440,000. O'Neal wanted the Chiefs to get under the cap and felt he would get an increase sometime after June. O'Neal never got that increase, so he stayed out of the offseason program, which led to the breakup. He didn't show up at training camp, and on Wednesday the Chiefs placed him on waivers.

Because of the league-wide need for defensive ends, it's likely O'Neal might consider going to another team. It's also not out of the question that he could patch up the relationship and go back to Kansas City.

If he is going to play this season, I want him in Kansas City. What are your thoughts?

Hoover

Woodrow
08-31-2000, 10:03 AM
Gun's cuts this year would make me believe that O'neal doesn't have a future here. He fits the mold of Dishman and Rison in as much as his best days are behind him and Gun would rather use the roster spot to develope a young turk.

B^2

DaKCMan AP
08-31-2000, 10:28 AM
I'm kind of guessing that b-squared might have it right, we are a team that is getting younger and we already have some vet leadership around. May Clemons make it so we don't miss him.<BR>

Bob Dole
08-31-2000, 10:30 AM
I agree that he is a victim of the youth movement but that isn't a bad thing. I still look for good things from this team this year but do not have any false expectations.