PDA

View Full Version : NFL films

Woodrow
08-31-2000, 08:49 AM
Did anyone catch "Sounds of the NFL 66-69" (or something close to that) on ESPN2 last night? Wow! Two thoughts concerning it:

1. I'm going to sound like my father.....Isn't it amazing how the players and their demeanor have changed in the last 30+ years. It was a whole lot more about the team as opposed to now (for many players) its all about them. The contrasts were stark. I couldn't help but feel a little bit sorry for how the game has changed.

Doesn't that sound schmazie? 20 or even 10 years ago I would have snorted at someone suggesting such thoughts!! I'm getting old.

2. I would like Grbac (whom I support) to sit down and watch the segments with Brodie, Jurgenson and Tarkenton and see the presence and leadership that they exuded. One could learn by their examples. At one point Jurgenson just bashed and berated HIMSELF on the sideline in front of his teammates for his play. You just don't get that much anymore.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. Any other thoughts from the program?

B^2

Woodrow
08-31-2000, 09:47 AM
This is sad. Am I the only schlep that watches old NFL films on ESPN2? Maybe I should start spending more time with the Weather Channel, they have good programming too!

B^2

lmiller
08-31-2000, 09:58 AM
B-squared,
Your not a schlep, just an old-schooler that appreciates the history of the game. Don't change a good thing.

Woodrow
08-31-2000, 10:03 AM
Thanks: That might keep me from going "postal". http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

B^2

DoktorSmith
08-31-2000, 11:52 AM
I saw it and it was great...and I agree....it's sad http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/frown.gif how things have changed...these guys were playing for the love of the game...When they showed Davis in his last game as a Packer it really brought home what it meant to these guys...and then he said later that he actually made more money after football and yet he still felt an emptiness...all of the guys they talked to said they'd still be playing if they could...wonder what some of these over priced babies of today will say?...I know most players still play because they love the game but...they also play for the big $...another thing that really made me sad was watching these guys back then and knowing they played for the same team for 10 or 15 years...it was a family...now it's whoever pays me the most I'll play for...not much team loyalty...

------------------
joe
"Sex on television can't hurt you... unless you fall off."

sd4chiefs
08-31-2000, 04:49 PM
B2, I too watch those old NFL films shows. They do any excellent job documenting the sport. Sadly, I missed the one last night but I'll keep an eye out for it! You are not alone!

AZ

ddpatterson
08-31-2000, 05:21 PM
I saw that show also. Brodie was really disturbed about Debartolo burning all the gam tapes from seasons prior to his taking ownership.
What about the story about Danny Abramowitz getting cut, but refusing to leave, hanging around until they re-signed him. Things like that don't happen anymore.

------------------

Red Eyes
[i]Chinn Up, it ain't nothin' but a thang.</I>