PDA

View Full Version : TRich Promoted to starting RB!!! Just for you Cannibal

DaKCMan AP
08-28-2000, 09:11 PM
Here is the site: http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/chiefs.pat,sports/3774b716.828,.html

Moon promoted to number 2 QB as well.

[This message has been edited by morphius (edited 08-28-2000).]

Mosbonian
08-28-2000, 09:17 PM
This is great news, I truly believe he has the ability to be a great halfback in the same mold as Stephen Davis.

http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/cool.gif Outstanding!!! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Jim Reynolds
Please no squiggles in my discussion zone!

milkman
08-28-2000, 09:18 PM
You beat me to the punch, Morph. Just got done reading this.

I feel good about this - IMO, Richardson is the best we've got. Glad to see Bennett at fullback - the numbnuts can't do anything carrying the ball - maybe he can block. I still think he should have been cut, but oh well.

Hope things come together for a Chiefs win on Sunday!

JOhn
08-28-2000, 09:31 PM
I'm with you folks! TRich is running great. I think he will help us a great deal!
kcmax
Not so scared of the regular season :-)<BR>

BroncoFan
08-28-2000, 09:35 PM
This is the best news to come out of a Chiefs camp since........well, I don't know, one heck-of-a long time!

Finally something positive to focus on!

WarPaint
08-28-2000, 09:36 PM
Do we actually have a direction that we are going in? Richardson may be our best back, I don't deny that, but he only had three carries all preseason and hasn't practiced much at HB. Couldn't Gun and Raye see that Richardson was a better back than Cloud in July? Wouldn't it have made sense to have made him HB back then?

Hopefully Richardson can make the transition in 4 days of practice.

milkman
08-28-2000, 09:39 PM
Remember the offense we're running. How hard can "run like hell between those two big guys directly in front of you" be?

I think Richardson will do that better than anyone else we have.

King_Chief_Fan
08-28-2000, 09:59 PM
Didn't TR say something about being a halfback after last season? Or was it team leader?

BroncoFan
08-28-2000, 10:01 PM
Stevieray-I think everyone with a brain has been asking for TRich at HB since last season.

King_Chief_Fan
08-28-2000, 10:04 PM
Kurt, lighten up...I asked if TR HIMSELF said something....I think it was being a team leader.

WarPaint
08-28-2000, 10:05 PM
It was team leader. In an interview today he said he was a "fullback".

Richardson referred to himself as a fullback after practice and praised the abilities of those who played halfback in the preseason.

"I expect it to be the same way," he said. "I think Mike Cloud played hard this preseason, Frank Moreau ran hard, Kimble (Anders) has looked good. I'm a fullback.

[This message has been edited by Chiefnj (edited 08-28-2000).]

BroncoFan
08-28-2000, 10:08 PM
Stevie-Lighten up? What are you talking about? I guess I missed something.

King_Chief_Fan
08-28-2000, 10:12 PM
I must've misinterpeted...sorry. Hey, who knows...Maybe returning punts will be Cloud's niche?

They better stick with this, or we are screwed..If TR is the starter, he NEEDS to stay the starter all year long...

The Blessed Virgin Larry
08-28-2000, 10:17 PM
So has the Mike Cloud experiment failed? Didn't most EVERYONE know it would. What a WASTE of preseason. Everyone knew that TR was the BEST and fastest RB on the roster. How many carries did he get the whole presseason? Oh , let me guess .....it was done on purpose so other teams couldn't get a good look at him right??? MIKE CLOUD IS JUST ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF YET ANOTHER FAILD RB PLANIN KC. IMHO, IF Bennett is the FB and TR is indeed the RB they should have practiced that in preseason. This was Gun's FAILSAFE plan once he realized how totally SORRY the passing game is. Well, BETTER LATE THAN NEVER! For what it's worth, TR is FASTER than Stephen Davis. My prediction is that Kimble will be blocking for TR before too long.

Fat Homer
08-28-2000, 10:18 PM
Excellent news!! I've been yelling for TRich to be the go-to RB... now it's coming true! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I feel for Cloud - he has shown flashes, but he really has not been given much of a chance. TRich is definitely the best back we have though - Cloud will have to prove he deserves his carries - just as TRich proved it over the past 4 seasons.

Cannibal
08-29-2000, 01:30 AM
I don't think this is a notice of faliure for Cloud. TRich is just better for our style. Cloud will still see a lot of action as his backup, since they'll probably want to keep him fresh. Anders will probably be the backup fullback. Moreau is too raw to really expect to play significantly at the start of this season.

Who knows how this will work out. I do expect to see a lot of one back sets with TRich out there. He has been practicing in that set all offseason. It shouldn't be a hard transition....

svuba
08-29-2000, 03:29 AM
Hello all...

I said it long ago. Thank God Gunther finally put someone at half back who has half a clue. Cloud was a failed experiment from day one.

Good luck TR!!!

BIG_DADDY
08-29-2000, 05:40 AM
IMO, the only thing that could keep T-Rich from becoming that elusive franchise back we've searched for is injury. We have yet to see if he can endure the punishment of a 16 game season. Now if Grbac can suddenly turn into a pro-bowl QB...

------------------
... Remember when you're feeling very small and insecure how amazingly unlikely is your birth, and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'coz there's bugger all down here on earth.

Luzap
08-29-2000, 06:21 AM
BUMMER!!!!!!

No, not TRich being the new RB. I'm bummed because I was going to predict this morning that Gun was going to make this move. He was faster on the trigger (pun intended) than I expected.

So now you will say, sure you knew! Well I had a pretty good idea because of a statement that Gun made over the weekend. I just went back to the Chiefs site and could not find it, but the statement that Gun made was that many people have been saying that TR should be the RB and that he was keeping that to himself. Now I figured why would he say that if he wasn't going to make that exact move?

I sure wish that I could have found that quote again because it was much stronger than my poor paraphrase of what Gun said.

Dev
~a day late and a dollar short again...

------------------
IDAHO CHIEF FAN!!!

GO CHIEFS!!! it all counts now.

[This message has been edited by Devin Vierth (edited 08-29-2000).]

scooter
08-29-2000, 07:01 AM
Good news for TRich and I'm sure he'll excel, but it's bad news for the Chiefs O. It means we'll continue our smashmouth direction, right down the dead end that it is.

Woodrow
08-29-2000, 07:12 AM
Great news about TRich, but I'm not so thrilled about Bennett being the FB. I'd rather see Anders in that roll. He is a much better blocker and since the FB position in the past hasn't run the ball much it would protect his knee while he continues to strenthen it and gain confidence in it. I'd also like to see more single set-back formations with two tight-ends using a lot of motion with Gonzo to keep them guessing.

B^2

Luzap
08-29-2000, 07:14 AM
Actually b-squared I think that we will alot more outside running and screen passes w/TRich. I see a quicker Stephen Davis.

DoktorSmith
08-29-2000, 07:43 AM
let's see TRich doesn't hardly get the ball at all in pre-season and all of a sudden he's the starting HB...hmmmmmm...I like the move...I feel bad for Cloud...but I can't help but wonder if this wasn't decided weeks ago and Gun just didn't want to show it...I just hope that Gun gives him the chance to prove himself and doesn't do a Marty like they did with Hill, Bennett, etc...give him the ball and let's have some fun...

------------------
joe
"Sex on television can't hurt you... unless you fall off."

Coogs
08-29-2000, 07:50 AM
FINALLY!!!

Nothin against Mike Cloud or Bennett, but TRich is obviously our best back, and I don't give a rats arse if he's a fullback!

Several fullbacks and many halfbacks in fullback bodies excel in a feature role, such as Bettis, Means, Alstott, and rookie Ron Dayne gets his chance as well, to name a few.

What I strongly disagree with on this topic is this proves the Cloud experiment was a failure. BULLSH!T Mike Cloud will be a good Rb in the NFL. But the fact is, TRich is a better ball carrier, and fits our strengths better. Cloud will still be utilized plenty for us this season. Count on it!

------------------
ct
[i]'Don't think meat, just throw.'</I>

shakesthecat
08-29-2000, 08:00 AM
I agree with TR being our featured back, lets hope he got plenty of work at camp, because we all know he didn't get it in preseason. Which makes me question, does this whole coaching staff, even have a clue as to what is going on. As to Cloud, I believe this makes him our 3rd down back, now if we can just develop some 3rd down plays. Also gives Moreau a chance to learn.

Iron Chef
08-29-2000, 08:02 AM
Agree, don't think Cloud is a waste. Believe Gun is finally getting closer to what he wants...two backs that weigh 230+ that can go inside/outside in Richardson and Moreau.

With Cloud we will actually have a 3rd down back that can catch the ball in open field and do something with it, as well as run the ball anywhere on the field.

In past years our RBBC made it pretty obvious what we intended for the play. We now have some options with any of our three HBs that keep defenses from keying on situation substitutions.
A good thing!

BCD
08-29-2000, 08:31 AM
I love the idea of T-Rich being the running back. I want him to get 25 carries in this first ball game.

I hope the Chiefs have been sand bagging
thier offensive scheme (sp).

Our offense will be as good as Elvis can make it.

------------------
Chiefs Rock

htismaqe
08-29-2000, 08:42 AM
Personally, I'd rather see TRich run the ball (a lot) out of the FB position, but I'm willing to go with Gun and Raye on this. I'm sure they know much that I don't.

I'm guessing that Cloud will be the 3rd down back.

I hope Moreau sees playing time. I was impressed by him.

Question: If Dante Hall is healthy, and Gun still plans on using Cloud for kick returns, what is he saving Hall for?

3rd down back? Slot Receiver?

Luz
the indy game is going to be interesting...

Warrior5
08-29-2000, 09:08 AM
Luz,

The Indy game is going to be interesting. I can't wait........the first action a lot of us will see all year http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I think what Gun was saying about KR duties, was that if Hall isn't ready to go (due to his back problems), that he would like to give Cloud a shot, because he had done well in the past. It seems like it's Hall's job to lose. I personally can't wait to see Parker on a PR again. He'll be a man possessed after last season vs Indy.

The Blessed Virgin Larry
08-29-2000, 09:37 AM
GREAT MOVE if Tony is not regarded as a savior. Richardson's transition shouldn't take too long, still it would have been NICE to have made the transition during preseason. (I couldn't resist the jab.) Once Richardson gets used to the position, he'll be just as effective as Stephen Davis, except he's faster! Cloud is a good backup HB and will be a good 3rd down back. Didn't most of us know this from day 1? (jab #2)

The running game is set, now about JR's passing game........... Oh well, one problem at a time.<P>

DoktorSmith
08-29-2000, 09:42 AM
Cloud was not a failure...he'll get a lot of playing time this year just maybe not as the starter...he will be a good back for us...I like the combination of TRich and Cloud...both are speedy...TRich will just blow you up if you get in his way...I agree with the comment about TRich fitting into more of what Gun is looking for..big and fast...can you imagine a TRich/Moreau combo?...I can and it's scary...both these guys are faster then Bettis or any other FB/HB...looking forward to watching TRich run downhill.

------------------
joe
"Sex on television can't hurt you... unless you fall off."

Fort Chief
08-29-2000, 10:52 AM
Hell YES guys! I'm happy about this!

Gun is actually making some moves I've been wanting to see.

I called for Rison's head for almost two years and finally Gun cuts him.

I called Dishman's head since the latter half of last season and finally Gun cuts him.

I've been calling for TRich at HB since the middle of last year and now he's the starting HB!

I just hope TRich proves me right.

Thanks for the link Morph!

Dr. Red
08-29-2000, 11:09 AM
Luz -

Hall is going to be utilized as a utility player until all the roles are set within the org..

If we pick up another WR and someone else steps up in the return role, Hall will be sent to practice squad, IMO.

kcred
08-29-2000, 11:38 AM
TRich to halfback.....

Ah the proverbial shot of hope
Me thinks I smell desperation from Gunther... I guess the "second coming of Marcus" didn't show enough.... or perhaps seeing Alstott break 5 tackles before scoring gave Gun a revelation!

------------------

"Those who want respect ...... give respect"
[b]Tony Soprano</B>

Coogs
08-29-2000, 12:04 PM
Or perhaps, jq, the undeniable truth we have a gem at FB, who will destroy any LB in his path!!

BTW, hawaiianboy, drafting a fat-boy-criminal KICKER in the first round, AND signing Andre 'Bad Check Writin' sounds very much like desperation to me!! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by coryt (edited 08-29-2000).]

Fat Homer
08-29-2000, 12:10 PM
Sounds like typical faidh ignorance to me...

http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/tongue.gif

ddpatterson
08-30-2000, 09:18 AM
While I agree with most that T-Rich is the best back on the Chiefs roster, I am in the minority, because I think moving him to HB ahead of Cloud is a mistake.
My reason for this is simple. Donnell Bennett is a liability as a starter at FB. He doesn't block as well as T-Rich. He can not do anything as receiver out of the backfield. And as a ballcarrier, his talent is limited, at best. I still think that a T-Rich/Cloud backfield would be a more productive and diverse combination. Ifthe Chiefs ran out of a T-formation, T-Rich could still be the primary ballcarrier, and could/should get 20-25 touches a game. Cloud could be a change of pace, without making any personel change on the field.

------------------

Red Eyes
[i]Chinn Up, it ain't nothin' but a thang.</I>

scooter
08-30-2000, 10:34 AM
Excellent post Milkman and one I've been proposing for over a year now.

Cloud is a natural HB while Rich is a natural FB. Gun should use the talent he has where it is best suited, at their natural positions. Rich has power Cloud doesn't. Cloud has moves that Rich doesn't. They'd compliment each other perfectly. Instead we're going to see 8 man fronts and Rich slamming right into them.

Simply continuing down that dead end trail known as smashmouth.

AustinChief
08-30-2000, 10:38 AM
I too am not very excited about seeing TRich at HB. If Cloud isn't big and strong enough to satisfy his tastes, start Moreau.

But for God's sake, TRich is a Pro-Bowler -- AT FULLBACK. Leave him there and let him do what he does best, block and provide change of pace.

------------------
Parker
ChiefsPlanet Administrator
[i]baked...not fried</I>

Coogs
08-30-2000, 12:02 PM
Perhaps TRich is a Pro-Bowler at HB as well?

Food for thought...

------------------
ct
[i]'Don't think meat, just throw.'</I>

DaKCMan AP
08-30-2000, 12:18 PM
htismaqe - TRich was already supposed to be the main man in the single back set, because he can block and can make the moves. They gave Bennett a chance in preseason and he couldn't cut it so back to FB where he belongs.

Of course I'm still dreaming of the Anders and TRich split back formation, both can make great blocks and make open field catches.

ddpatterson
08-30-2000, 01:53 PM
This is exactly the reason that I jumped on the Dillon bandwagon. I knew that Cloud would not be given a real opportunity to hold the job.

------------------

Red Eyes

scooter
08-30-2000, 02:02 PM
Uh Milkman, are you still on the wife beater, err, Dillon bandwagon?

The trash was left in Cinci. It's a good place for it.

AustinChief
08-30-2000, 02:06 PM
I don't think he's still on the Dillon bandwagon, it's just that alot of us are realizing that until we have a true feature HB that other teams regard as a threat, our coaches are never going to commit to anything but the RBbSitcom

------------------
Parker
ChiefsPlanet Administrator
[i]baked...not fried</I>

seclark
08-30-2000, 08:37 PM
Actually, I'm kind of happy about the move but for a totally selfish reason. I picked up TRich as my 5th RB for my fantasy team during our draft. Figured I had nothing to lose and now it looks like I made out like a bandit again this year! (Did the same thing last year when I took Stephan Davis as my 5th back). http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Smltheppl
08-30-2000, 08:51 PM
If Gun sticks with T Rich....
Tony will be the back Stephen Davis was last year...a converted fullback to halfback who tore up the league...
T Rich will be a gem of a RB in real time and fantasy leagues...as long as Gun commits to him...and Tony has a better line to run behind...but EG is no Brad Johnson...and there's still the JR factor...ok...second thought...maybe T Rich will be a serviceable back.

------------------
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR>"Beware of false prophets,which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."--Matthew 7:15<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

seclark
08-30-2000, 09:03 PM
Actually, I'm kind of happy about the move but for a totally selfish reason. I picked up TRich as my 5th RB for my fantasy team during our draft. Figured I had nothing to lose and now it looks like I made out like a bandit again this year! (Did the same thing last year when I took Stephan Davis as my 5th back). http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

seclark
08-30-2000, 09:03 PM

ddpatterson
08-31-2000, 06:13 PM
Chuck,
No, I am not on that bandwagon anymore. I was on it prior to the start of preseason, before he signed his deal with the Natti. I also feel that since most of his problems were in he past, he should get the benefit of the doubt. This new incident would have changed my stance on his behavorial issues. But I am a strong believer in second chances.

------------------

Red Eyes

scooter
08-31-2000, 06:37 PM
I wasn't singling you out Milkman. Hope it didn't come across that way. I just remember the flaming Proctor, Denise and I took for opposing the Dillon acquistion.

Turns out our concerns were justified. He was and is a thug.

ddpatterson
08-31-2000, 06:42 PM
At least you and Proctor never wavered. I might disagree with either one of you, but I can respect you and your opinions.

------------------

Red Eyes

lmiller
08-31-2000, 06:56 PM
I love this move. TRich has the rare combination of size and speed that we need. What he doesn't have is that shake and bake move that the elite RBs have. With 20+ carries a game, he can obtain that. With Kimble or Donnell blocking, this kind of reminds me of the Bernstein/Butts matchup the Chargers had. Or Mack/Byner from Marty's days in Cleveland. Okoye/Word?

------------------
Not disgruntled....yet.

scooter
08-31-2000, 07:05 PM
I still maintain that we'd been better served with Cloud/Rich in a split backfield. Cloud has the shake and bake, and Rich has the power. In a split set either man could have ran inside, outside, went in motion, caught passes, etc.

In the I with Rich behind Bennett you can almost be certain the runner is going up Grunhards butt.

[This message has been edited by ck_IN (edited 08-31-2000).]

lmiller
08-31-2000, 07:18 PM
Chuck,
Is Cloud a good receiver out of the backfield? With T-Rich and Anders back there, an opposing DC has got to be concerned. A split formation with two more possible receivers has got to be an asset. Don't you think?