PDA

View Full Version : My little brother asked me this and I didn`t have a clue...

j molina
08-31-2000, 03:30 AM
When did the internet began and what was the first site?

This has never occured to me before and since
he asked me I've been chomping at the bit to find out.

j molina
08-31-2000, 04:54 AM
I am sorry for creating a non-football thread.

...assuming the BBA here isn`t as ruthless as the "other" BB...

htismaqe
08-31-2000, 06:29 AM
I heard someone say that Al Gore had the first site...

My understanding is that it started out as seperate networks of computers with a communications link: one between governmemt orgs and one between universities.

When they decided to join these two (and perhaps others), that would probably be considered the begginning.

I'm sorry, but I can't give you a date.

Luz
you can probably get more/better info from others...

[This message has been edited by Luzap (edited 08-31-2000).]

Yosef_Malkovitch
08-31-2000, 06:45 AM
I don't believe there is an official date attached to the creation of the internet. There are TONS of people & organizations that get and deserve credit. Al Gore no more created the internet than he walked on the moon.

In the early 70's the National Science Foundation connected their multiple sites. The connectivity which allowed their sites to see each other now forms the backbone of the modern internet. Nasa was involved early on as well. Free-nets are said to be the libraries of the future. Cleveland Free-Net was the first site of its kind (no date, sorry).

I've been in the computer business for 10+ years and I first noticed the increased use of the internet in 1993. Many of the web-sites were simple, text based ones. Of course, I was in the military at that time so I probably had an unfair advantage. Most of the commercialization you see on the modern internet didn't begin until the mid-90's.

I hope this helps. I'm no authority on the topic. You should be able to research it more on the internet. As always, be careful who you believe though.

chiefs2034
08-31-2000, 07:04 AM
Try msn.com and ask questions of the microsoft geeks. If anywhere there would be a history of the internet, that would be the place

37/58 Forever

b-squared
08-31-2000, 08:19 AM
The "Internet" began in the late 60's with several defense computer systems and Universities tying their computer systems together in a simple network. in the 80's the number of institutions increased and eventually ARPA net was created which was the first true Internet. (Advanced Research Projects Agency) An agency of the United States Department of Defense, ARPA underwrote the development of the Internet in the 80's. In the early 90's Al Gore led the legislation that made the Internet available for commercial use, hence his correct claim would be "I created the commercial Internet, the Internet of today". It was also known then as the Information Superhighway then the World Wide Web (hence all the www. crap) Mosaic was the first browser a text based clunker by todays standards. No java, shockwave nothing but text, much like this board with no graphics.

Here's as close to the beginning as I can get. July 1968: ARPA’s Information Processing Techniques Office (IPTO) releases a "Request for Quotation" for a communication system to connect together a few geographically dispersed computers over a shared network. The contract goes to Bolt Beranek and Newman (BBN) and their network later becomes becomes ARPANET.

Probably bored you with that but a quicky history of the Internet.

[This message has been edited by Dave Lane (edited 08-31-2000).]

BIG_DADDY
08-31-2000, 08:33 AM
I seem to recall a married couple at some univerisity who were computer admins. They ran lines across campus to stay in touch at their different terminals so they could type to each other throughout the day. If this tale is true they also went on to found Cisco Systems. Anyway, I'm not sure but I think I heard this was one of the founding moments in the development of ARPAnet. Can anyone clarify or negate this?

------------------
... Remember when you're feeling very small and insecure how amazingly unlikely is your birth, and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'coz there's bugger all down here on earth.

b-squared
08-31-2000, 08:52 AM
Here's some more Internet timeline tidbits:

1969: ARPANET goes online.

1971: NCP, the initial protocol of ARPAnet lays the groundwork for the development of TCP/IP.

1971: The InterNetworking Working Group (INWG) becomes the first standards-setting entity to govern the growing network.

1973: March, Bob Kahn poses the Internet problem, starts internetting research program at ARPA. Bob Kahn and Vint Cerf develop the basic ideas of the Internet and present them at INWG at U of Sussex, Brighton, UK in Sept.

1973: ARPAnet grows to 15 nodes (23 hosts): UCLA, SRI, UCSB, U of Utah, BBN, MIT, RAND, SDC, Harvard, Lincoln Lab, Stanford, UIU(C), CWRU, CMU, NASA, Ames.

1973: ARPANET goes international with connections to University College in London, England and the Royal Radar Establishment in Norway.

1973: Febuary 16th, A. McKenzie introduces RFC #454 "File Transfer Protocol". FTP ARPA. <BR>

b-squared
08-31-2000, 08:53 AM
1974: BBN opens the first public packet-switched network - Telenet.

1974: All the ARPAnet hosts start using Network Control Protocol (NCP), TCP/IP's ancestor.

1974: ARPAnet more than triples in size to include 15 nodes and 23 hosts.

1974: The First International Conference on Computer Communications is held in Washington, DC, and hosts the first public demo of ARPAnet. Ray Tomlinson invents electronic mail and sends the first ever e-mail on ARPAnet.

1974: Norway and England are added to the Arpanet and it becomes an international network.

1974: ARPAnet ‘s Vinton Cerf and Bob Kahn publish an explanation of TCP, an internet protocol. By the end of this year the ARPAnet has grown to 62 hosts.

1974: Harvard Ph.D. candidate Robert Metcalf writes a thesis that outlines ethernet.

1974: Ted Nelson coins term "hypertext" to describe dynamic documents as in HTML HyperText Markup Language.<P>

b-squared
08-31-2000, 08:54 AM
1975, July 1: the responsibility for operational management of ARPANET was transferred to the US Defense Communications Agency (now known as the Defense Information Systems Agency).

1975: BBN opens Telenet, commercial version of ARPANET. Bought later by GTE.

1975: Operational management of Internet transferred to DCA (now DISA).

1979: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and Duke University establishes USENET with a UUCP (Unix to Unix Copy Program) link.

1981 - ARPANET has over 210 hosts. A new host is added approximately once three weeks.

1982: INWG established TCP/IP (Transmission Control Protocol and Internet Protocol) as the standard for ARPANET in 1982. This leads to one of the first definitions of an "internet" as a connected set of networks, specifically those using TCP/IP.

1983: January 1st. The ARPANet switches from NCP to TCP/IP. <P>

b-squared
08-31-2000, 08:55 AM
1984: DNS (Domain Name Server) is introduced. Number of Internet hosts breaks 1,000

1986: NSF funded a long haul backbone network (NSFNET) with a backbone speed of 56Kbps.

1986: NSF establishes 5 super-computing centers to provide high-computing power for all (JVNC@Princeton, PSC@Pittsburgh, SDSC@UCSD, NCSA@UIUC, Theory Center@Cornell). Number of Internet hosts breaks 5000. Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) designed to enhance Usenet news performance over TCP/IP.

1987: The number of Internet hosts exceeds 10,000.

1988: World Wide Web development starts at CERN or Centre European pour la Recherche Nucleaire. The name was changed to European Laboratory for Particle Physics to avoid the stigma attached to nuclear research. CERN is now the world's largest research laboratory.

1989: The number of Internet hosts breaks 100,000.

1989, October: AOL commences for Apple II and MacIntosh computers.

1991: Al Gore coins the term "Information Superhighway".

Well the rest you probably already know. Just picked these off a site but a interesting chronology http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

Sorry I had break this up was too long for a single post.

Raiderhader
08-31-2000, 09:04 AM
I seriously doubt that Algore coined the term Info superhighway. As Clint would say, I want proof of that claim.

Algore had no more to do with the advent of the Internet than I did.

Coogs
08-31-2000, 09:06 AM
Nice job Dave. Interesting reading.

What site did you get all this from out of curiousity?

------------------
ct
[i]'Don't think meat, just throw.'</I>

htismaqe
08-31-2000, 09:36 AM
Not to pick nits, but Ted Nelson coined the term "hypertext" in a 1965 publication called Literary Machines.

AustinChief
08-31-2000, 09:41 AM
If you're into techie stuff, Cisco publishes a book by Balsam Halabi about advanced internetworking. I don't remember the title offhand, but the first couple of chapters describe the evolution of the internet, both from a chronological and technological perspective.

------------------
Parker
ChiefsPlanet Administrator
[i]baked...not fried</I>

Shootr
08-31-2000, 09:55 AM
You can go to

<HTML><CENTER><U>
<A HREF="http://www.ask.com">http://www.ask.com</A></U></CENTER></HTML>

sd4chiefs
08-31-2000, 07:00 PM
Dave, excellent post.

KCChiefs30, I had this same question and read a very interesting book which addressed the creation of the internet. It was called "Where Wizards Stay Up Late: The Origins of the Internet" by Katie Hafner and Matthew Lyon.

AZ

Mosbonian
08-31-2000, 08:06 PM
KC Jones,

The married couple worked at Stanford and are actually the founders of the company known as CISCO. They started Cisco by selling the equipment that forms the backbone of todays Internet, however this was long after the Internet was established. By the way they sold Cisco for a nice profit, but they would be as rich or richer than Bill Gates now if they had kept the company. Cisco has the largest Market Cap of any company in the world. It slides back and forth from second to first. For now Microsoft must settle for third.

------------------
Jim Reynolds
Please no squiggles in my discussion zone!

AustinChief
09-01-2000, 07:19 AM
AlGore didn't create the term Information Superhighway. He states he did so in his publication "Global Information Infrastructure - Agenda for Cooperation"...

Here is his closest terms to 'Information Superhighway'
"Multiple networks composed of different transmission media, such as fiber, coaxial cable, satellites, radio, and copper wire will carry a broad range of services and information technology applications into homes, businesses, schools and hospitals. These networks will form the basis of evolving national and global information infrastructures, in turn creating a seamless web uniting the world in the emergent Information Age. The result will be a new information marketplace, providing opportunities and challenges for individuals, industry and governments."

The term "Information Superhighway" is actually credited to some company that was instrumental in developing cable television. When cable was first marketed, it had the idea of the internet available, information at your fingertips. Unfortunately the fingers controlled a remote and did not offer much in the way of interaction.

Al merely stole the term and called it his own - how unusual.

[This message has been edited by KCWolfman (edited 09-01-2000).]