PDA

View Full Version : As if we don't have enought to worry about...

alanm
08-30-2000, 07:58 AM
Let me begin with a prepared statement:

Grbac is the starter and he has my full support.

What concerns me at the moment is that we have no QBOTF candidate in sight. Grbac is an adequate QB for the nonce, but IMO he is not the franchise QB we are all looking for. The White experiment is over. Moon is a year or two from retirement. Collins is at best equivalent to Grbac.

So where is our QBOTF?

Should he not be the #3 QB, holding a clipboard, learning and taking the field in blowouts? I realize that the regular season is just ready to begin, but this issue will not be addressed until the season is over. And then we will be back in panic mode. Carl, for all I support him, makes really bad decisions when he is in panic mode [see Williams and Gray for supporting evidence]. Now is the time to make a sober, reasoned decision about the future of our QB. We should keep Moon as #2 backup QB, trade Collins for some diamond in the rough QB and start the QBOTF evaluation process. It is not too early to begin.

xoxo~
gaz
Cassandra in the rough.<BR>

DaKCMan AP
08-30-2000, 08:06 AM
Gaz - My early plan was that if Grbac failed then we pick up Dillon and draft a QB in the first round next year. Since Dillon is now someone I don't want to be near I really want TRich to succeed as starter and then we could still draft one first round next year.

It appears we are doing a slight rebuild, IMO. We may take some lineman later in the draft and have a really young team the next couple years with SlyMo, Richardson, Gonzo and 1st Rnd QB on offense. Young corners, young safties, solid LB's. There are enough teams that have their QB's that even if we finish draft in the middle we should be able to pick one up.

DoktorSmith
08-30-2000, 08:06 AM
Yes, Gaz, he should be #3...but he's not...so where do we find him?...not in the group of QBs released the other day...so maybe a trade of some kind?...as an ardent Grbacker, this is hard for me to say, but my faith is waivering...but where do we find the QBOTF?... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/confused.gif

------------------
joe
"Sex on television can't hurt you... unless you fall off."

WarPaint
08-30-2000, 08:20 AM
Gaz I agree. I originally thought that Collins might have had some more promise to him, but I was wrong. We definately erred by passing up on some late round QB picks this year- Rattay, T. Martin, etc. However, with such a poor QB market, I don't see any teams giving up those guys.

Morphius, do you really think that one of the top 3 QB's will fall to the Chiefs who will likely pick in the middle of the pack?

DaKCMan AP
08-30-2000, 08:29 AM
Chiefnj - I'm trying to think of teams that will be looking for a first round QB. There have been a bunch taken in the last couple of years. If Leaf can hold the starting job then there is one less team. Seahawks may be looking, but I'm not sure who else. I'll have to look a little more closely, but I'm assuming that if Grbac doesn't work out we might have a decent draft pick next year.

AustinChief
08-30-2000, 08:30 AM
Word!

alanm
08-30-2000, 08:38 AM
My first choice is to trade Collins [who is ready to play now] to a team in exchange for a QB project who might be ready to play in a few years. The shortage of NFL quality starters is severe enough that Collins has some trade value. He serves no real purpose on our roster. We do not need two veteran backups at the QB position. We need to extend the youth movement into our QB position.

Failing that, I would look at the arena QBs. I went to an arena football game earlier this year. I am convinced that the sheer speed of that game hones a QB's defensive reads. A slow read in arena ball equals a sack. I say bite the bullet and find a young, cocky arena ball QB or two and start the evaluation process.

That gives us Grbac as the starter, Moon as veteran backup and a young QBOTF candidate holding the clipboard and absorbing knowledge from Moon. Personally, I would not allow my QBOTF to stand within ten yards of Grbac, lest his mental game rub off, but that's just me.

xoxo~
gaz
tried to omit the Grsmack, but The Engineer insisted.<BR>

stevieray
08-30-2000, 08:40 AM
What happened to all of those White supporters last year that were annoiting him the QBOTF?

As for clipboard carriers, (does Matt Blundin ring a bell?) they are useless!

Unless a team is 100% devoted to a QBOTF, (ala Vikings, Bucs, Eagles, Browns, et al) getting all worked up over a guy with a headset is a waste of time.

alanm
08-30-2000, 08:41 AM
Perhaps I am worrying too soon. I admit that I do not believe Grbac is our QBOTF, so I am eager to start developing our franchise QB. Should I just chill and wait for next year's draft?

It seems to me that we have a commodity for which we have no real use. That would be Collins. I would like to exchange that [I hate to say worthless] commodity for one that has some potential value to our team.

xoxo~
gaz
possibly premature.<BR>

BIG_DADDY
08-30-2000, 08:42 AM
Well,

If the Chiefs bomb this season we should get a high draft pick and Carl will have an excuse to remove Gun and hire Tyrone Willingham from Stanford. I don't know if anyone read the article on him in SI, but they quote Carl as saying he's the best up-n-comer and will be a great coach in the NFL or College if he stays there. It's almost enough to make you root for a 4-12 season :P

------------------
... Remember when you're feeling very small and insecure how amazingly unlikely is your birth, and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'coz there's bugger all down here on earth.

WarPaint
08-30-2000, 08:42 AM
I think the following teams would draft one of the top 3 QB's:

Miami, Pitt, Jax, Ravens, Seattle, Raiders, San Diego, Denver, NYG, AZ, NO, San Fran and Carolina.

alanm
08-30-2000, 08:44 AM
California_Injun-

NFLE happened to them. He had his chance to take the QBOTF job and he failed. Maybe another team can develop his arm into a real QB, but the Chiefs staff were not able to do it. I was glad to see them take a chance on him, but now I am glad to see them admit that it didn't work out.

xoxo~
gaz
abandoned the White wagon.<BR>

Woodrow
08-30-2000, 08:48 AM
Easy boys, let's not get our panties in a wad and do something rash. If we trade Collins for a rough newbie, what do we have left? A QB (whom I support) that has had injury problems in the past and a 40+ guy that might well have problems playing two or three straight weeks. First thing you know Grbac is out, Moon looks like the greybeard he is (takes longer to bounce back from ouchies too) and we are stuck with a rough newbie. Not so bad if you are 2-6, but the pits if you are 5-3 and making a serious run at the AFC west.

As much as I like and respect Moon, he really is the weak link when you are looking down the road. IMO is if you are going to make a move, trade/cut Moon put Collins in at #2 and QBOTF at #3.

B^2

BIG_DADDY
08-30-2000, 08:55 AM
I'd rather get through this season and see what we have. If we draft a rookie, we can develop him under Grbac and/or Collins for a few years. Problem is, you never know if your pick for QBOTF will work or not.

stevieray
08-30-2000, 08:59 AM
Gaz,

Franchise QBs a few and far between in the NFL.

Unless you throw them into the fire (Elway, Manning, Marino, along with this years new crop of rookies) pinning your hopes on a #3 is way too frustrating for me.

I, for one, am in total agreement with the handling of Grbac by Peterson. You have to be 100% committed to a QB who you "think" has the potential to lead your team to the Super Bowl.

Now the question can be posed whether or not Peterson can "think" when it comes to the QB talent levels in the NFL but at least he is sticking to his beliefs.

WarPaint
08-30-2000, 09:02 AM
b-squared:

Newbie QB's can take a team to the playoffs. The Bucs did well with King, the Lions made progress with Batch. Collins led Carolina to the playoffs a few years back.

DaKCMan AP
08-30-2000, 09:03 AM
Chiefnj - I will give you a couple on your list Miami, Pitt, Ravens, Seattle, NYG, AZ, and San Fran. The rest already have their starting QB for a few more years and are not really in the market to go for one in the first round yet. Ravens and AZ might fall off that list as well and Giants are a bit iffy with Collins.

htismaqe
08-30-2000, 09:04 AM
Great points by everybody.

Gaz, I hope you're right and that Collins has some trade value. If he does, however, I would be more inclined to trade for a WR or experienced CB (we have plenty of young talanted rookie CBs).

I think the QBOTF situation is important, but not crucial. What would be perfect would be to find him two years before we want him to start. This way he doesn't waist away on the bench, and he doesn't get his confidence shattered by starting day one.

Whether we like Elvis or not, the Chiefs are penciling him in as our QB for the next five years. Personally, I think he can continue his improvement and take us where we need to go, but even if his play continues at the same level, he'll be our QB. IMO, we're just not going to have a high enough draft pick (and have a strong enough QB class out of college) to aquire a 'sure fire' QBOTF anytime soon.

Luz
would love to pick up more speed at WR...

Woodrow
08-30-2000, 09:05 AM
Chiefnj:

True enough, but my engineering gut tells me that odds are very long. Plus, the type of mature, quality newbie that has a chance to do that is probably not available to us at this time. I'm open for options, but they look pretty scarce right now.

B^2

stevieray
08-30-2000, 09:13 AM
Luz,

If your QBOTF gets his confidence shattered by being thrown in too early, then by definition he was not a QBOTF to begin with.

Think Manning's confidence was shattered when he was renegotiating those DBs contracts with those easy INTS a few years back?

Great QBs KNOW their capabilities and are not concerned about immediate failures. Leaving a QBOTF to rot for 2 years behind a journeyman is pointless. That just impedes his development when he could be learing his chops on the field.

Now if your O-Line is pathetic then let that same journeyman get killed while your GM acquires more talent to protect the up and comer.

"Shattering" the bones is rather difficult to overcome (unlike confidence).

LAChief
08-30-2000, 09:22 AM
Gaz -

I think you have to remember though that this is supposed to be Moon's last year. It seems to me that the plan is probably to stay with what we have this year, then next year, Collins becomes second string behind Grbac and we draft for a QBOTF to be #3.

rick

[This message has been edited by rickm20 (edited 08-30-2000).]

htismaqe
08-30-2000, 09:42 AM
California_Injun,

I have to disagree with you... depending on the situation.

A GREAT QB with terrific natural talant and a lot of maturity can handle what you're talking about. Just because someone doesn't start out with all of these attributes doesn't mean he won't be good, perhaps very good in the NFL.

Now if you're suggesting that we should hold out for one of these relatively rare specimines to be our QBOTF, well I'd love it, but you're really rolling the dice. To say that KC will be able to find, let alone be in a position to aquire one of these Top Ten picks within the next five years would, IMO, be a matter of luck.

Luz
thinking we'd better plan on finding a good qb, and then if a great one comes along... so much the better...

AustinChief
08-30-2000, 09:44 AM
Gaz- No need to worry. We'll draft our diamond in the rough next year. You know, some guy from Turkey Trot A&M. Carls a wiz at selecting QB's.

------------------
~Duckaholic~
[i]Shoot 'em in the lips</I>

Yosef_Malkovitch
08-30-2000, 09:52 AM
Don't forget that Grbac has a $20 million cap # next year. IMHO, there is a 50/50 chance he won't be with us at all if he refuses to restructure to Carl's taste. Collins won't be traded because he's the only leverage we have in negotiations with Grbac. Moon IS retiring after this year and if we trade Collins away for a green product, ALL the leverage goes to Grbac and he can ask for whatever price he wants. Collins stays throughout the remainder of his contract (3 years remaining?). If a potential QBOTF comes availabe during the season, Moon hits the waiver wire or opts for early retirement....

Warrior5
08-30-2000, 09:54 AM
Excellent point Phil.

Yosef_Malkovitch
08-30-2000, 09:59 AM
Thanks Cormac.

I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see Collins as our starting QB next year and Grbac moving on to Carolina, back to San Fran, backing up Couch in his hometown or elsewhere....

DaKCMan AP
08-30-2000, 09:59 AM
Just in case anyone is interested, I read an article earlier this year that stated that the Raiders have not drafted and Developed their own QB since 1969, and we thought we were bad...

ddpatterson
08-30-2000, 10:02 AM
Jeff,
How many QBs have the Chiefs drafted and developed in their 40 year history? 1?

------------------

Red Eyes
[i]Chinn Up, it ain't nothin' but a thang.</I>

Coogs
08-30-2000, 10:05 AM
I'm with Injun on this one. A true QBOTF, if we can find one, should learn on the job, not on the sideline w/ clipboard in hand, buried down the depth chart.

Perhaps this doesn't fit the definition, but I'll throw this out anyway. Huge stretch here, but I'm just playin around, so bear with me.

Hows about we make a play for Ray Lucas. I'm not throwin out some rediculous offer ala Coogs to give up Shields and Bennett for him, but how about Collins and Bennett. We've still got Anders to play FB, and TRich will still do so as well most likely anyway. So in effect, we swap backup QBs, and give them a versatile HB/FB to back up Curtis Martin, and block for him as well.

Am I crazy? Ignorant? BOTH? Or maybe this ain't such a bad idear?
Adding on: Jets already have their QBOTF in Pennington, and Collins buys them one year if Vinny goes down again. We cut ties w/ Grbac after this season, saving HUGE cap $$, and Lucus starts next season. Of course this still leaves us on the hunt for a YOUNG QBOTF!

------------------
ct
'Don't think meat, just throw.'

[This message has been edited by coryt (edited 08-30-2000).]

Yosef_Malkovitch
08-30-2000, 10:10 AM
Ray Lucas isn't going anywhere! Testaverde is in the final year of his contract and has instructed his agent to find a spot for him in Tampa. Testeverde is old and brittle anyway so you can bet the Jets won't let Lucas get away. You can forget about that scenario.

htismaqe
08-30-2000, 10:11 AM
Cory,

And then what do we do?

Do we bench Grbac (might as well release him) and throw Lucas into the fire as is being suggested?

Luz
trying to figure this out?...

Coogs
08-30-2000, 10:17 AM
The Jets let Collins and young Pennington battle it out next pre-season. We dump Grbac and his $10Million roster bonus before March 1st. Sign a veteran backup, draft a qbotf project and sign an arena baller to battle out #2 and #3 in camp. If the project looks good, start him immediately.

I'm not pleased to look forward to a legit rebuilding with a rookie QB, but with the right one, I'll stomach the growing pains.

The one big hangup is being bold enough to trade up in round 1 to grab a Drew Breese. Does CP have the nads to do it? I'm not at all thinking he does. Like I said, I'm just playin around here. What the hell else do I have to do? WORK?!? http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
ct
[i]'Don't think meat, just throw.'</I>

Devin Vierth
But what are the Jets going to do with Pennington, they spent a first round draft choice on him. It would seem as if there was a log jam for the successor to vinny.

------------------
bk

KCTitus
Kind of funny, but my Ray Lucas trade idea from earlier this summer dosen't sound so crazy anymore does it?

scooter
08-30-2000, 10:25 AM
Methinks you're getting prematurely excited Gaz. As has been said, EG will be our QB for the next 5 or so years. Being a Grbacker I have no problem with that.

My biggest worries reside at WR and in the skybox/sideline. Gun has me worried with this tough guy routine and my thoughts of the 3 stooges are well known.

Lastly I doubt that Collins has much trade value. He was awful in the preseason, has sat for three years and didn't exactly sparkle as a starter in Buff. At best I'd say he'd go for a 4th or 5th round pick.

Coogs
08-30-2000, 10:30 AM
Sorry Coogs, but your trade idea was and still is absurd. What was it again? Shields and Bennett and a pick for Lucas?

I like Lucas, and thought I told ya so when you brought up trades every day for awhile(man you really wanted to dump off Shields didn't ya), but you never came up with anything realistic at all, not that I remember anyway.

Please remind me.

------------------
ct

BCD
08-30-2000, 10:33 AM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Elvis.
I want him to do good, but sometimes he gets that "goofy" look on the sideline after something went wrong offensively.

I want him to succeed, really.

------------------
Chiefs Rock

AustinChief
08-30-2000, 10:46 AM
If we draft Drew Breese, I'm headed to 1 Arrowhead Drive with my bombs in hand.

No way should we draft "he of the 1:1 TD:INT ratio".

------------------
Parker
ChiefsPlanet Administrator
[i]baked...not fried</I>

scooter
08-30-2000, 10:50 AM
Thanks HQ, I was beginning to think it was just me that wasn't enamoured of Mr. Brees. He's a classic run & shoot QB and hence a product of his system. If he goes in the 1st round, someone has made a major reach.

To be honest, with the exception of Carter in GA, I don't know of any QB's in college to be excited about.

AustinChief
08-30-2000, 10:56 AM
My assessment of Brees after watching 25 some-odd games of his, is that he is definitely the classic "product of the system".

In fact, I said the same things about a couple of other college QBs to come out recently. We all know what happened to Ryan Leaf. Maybe he's got it together now, maybe not. Brees really reminds me (as a passer) of Donovan McNabb. Being the starter and getting the minutes this year is really going to expose him. Unless he's grown up ALOT, he'll have a 1:1 TD:INT ratio, just like he did in college.

------------------
Parker
ChiefsPlanet Administrator
[i]baked...not fried</I>

WarPaint
08-30-2000, 11:05 AM
I thought McNabb showed a lot of promise and some poise last year. I'd take an average mobile QB over an average pocket QB any day. It worked for the Titans.

KCTitus
08-30-2000, 11:20 AM
coryt,

The Jets needed a FB and a 3rd down back. The trade was Bennett, Shehee or Cloud, and throw in Collins for Lucas.

Shields was for Dillon, Rice, or Porscher.

Lurker Brett
08-30-2000, 11:20 AM
I completely agree with the idea of scouring the various arena football leagues looking for a diamond in the rough.

Most of the arena QB's I have watched are very physical. They are forced by the rules of the game to become excellent at picking out receivers. The better ones learn the skill of the quick read/throw, and their accuracy dictates their success.

Warner is a good example. He would still be sacking groceries if he hadn't honed his skills in arena ball.

I'd be happy to offer my services to the Chiefs to do the scouting for them. All I would ask for is expenses and Chiefs season tickets.

Warrior5
08-30-2000, 11:31 AM
Phil, re #25.

FWIW I don't think Grbac will be going anywhere (unless he flops badly this season). As long as he doesn't get booed out of here, he'll probably restructure his contract to CP's satisfaction IMO. I can't see him taking on CP in some arduous negotiations. He doesn't seem to have that kind of personality.

Devin Vierth
08-30-2000, 11:34 AM
Grbac has the Chiefs over the barrel anyway. Either he plays and makes the money, plays and makes the money or gets cut and the Chiefs are screwed salary-cap wise. So he has the ace up his sleeve.

------------------
bk

Coogs
08-30-2000, 11:59 AM
Coogs,

I do remember now, my apologies. My memory had scrambled those together I suppose. I do like Bennett, Collins and Shehee for Lucas now a whole lot better!! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

RE. Drew Breese(sp?), I have not ever seen him play at all. Just hear all the hype. One reason I typed up "trade up in round 1 to grab a Drew Breese". Don't have much time to follow college ball too much anymore.

Anyone know much about Kevin Daft? Released by the Titans, played well(I think)in NFLE. Somebody add him to their PS yet?

------------------
ct

shakesthecat
08-30-2000, 12:31 PM
It is amazing to me that everyone is scorching Grbac, when, the consensus in the off season, was how much he had improved. That being said, the new trend in the NFL seems to be, throw them into the fire. Look at the past few years, Smith (Cincy), second yr starter, Couch, 1st yr, McNabb, 2nd year, McCown, 1st year, Culpepper, 2nd year, King, 1st year, but with the exception of King, most of these teams are rebuilding. I might also add, that was a great draft last year. I, too, was hoping the Chiefs could find a young QB on the waiver wire, even to put on the practice squad, to at least learn the system, and compete in camp next year, we definitely will need a #3. But I guess, the brain (?) trust at Arrowhead think they have it covered. This season is getting more confusing everyday, and we have not even started.

Yosef_Malkovitch
08-30-2000, 01:01 PM
Cormac,

You may be right. I guess my 50/50 statment should be more like 25/75 towards him being elsewhere.

His personality doesn't count at all towards the negotiations. That's why they all have sports agents to negotiate for them. Grbac will do whatever his agent advises him to do.... IMHO.

Coltsinsider
08-30-2000, 10:50 PM
In response to Chuck in #38.

I don't know about you guys, but the thought of Michael Vick of Virginia Tech in a Chiefs Jersey gets me excited. I know he's only a sophomore, but he's clearly the most exciting player in college ball, right now. Theres a chance he could come out next year, I know he'd be a totally raw project, but the upside potential is unlimited.

BTW Drew Brees? Puhleaaase. The guy is under 6 feet tall w/ a mediocre COLLEGE arm. Manages to put up pretty numbers in that Chuck and Duck offense Purdue runs.

Coogs
08-31-2000, 07:57 AM
I'm all for Michael Vick, even if he comes out too early. Yes, coming out after his sophomore year as a Qb is too early IMO.

Project or not, it would just be nice to have any project.

------------------
ct

scooter
08-31-2000, 08:09 AM
I like Vick as well, but I wasn't counting him since he's a soph and has only produced for one year.

I really don't think a soph should be allowed to join the NFL. I don't care how good they are they need to grow, physically and mentally.

I'm also leary of one-hit wonders. If Vick does comparable numbers this year, then I'll revise my last position.

Coogs
08-31-2000, 08:15 AM
We see college sophomore basketball players come out and succeed often in the NBA, hell even some High Schoolers have done well. But football is a different animal, you can't as easily have a quick pickup game of football comparable at all to a real competitive contest like BBall.

I'd like to see something similar to baseball, where only Collegians following thier junior and senior years be eligible for the draft. Particularly Quarterbacks, more so than any other position need more time to learn in the college game.

------------------
ct

[This message has been edited by coryt (edited 08-31-2000).]

Cannibal
08-31-2000, 08:16 AM
If Grbac plays well, he will get a contract extension. Anything less, and he will be cut. If they keep him under his current terms, that's at least 15 million against the cap, and if he's going to continue being mediocre, you don't want to give the guy an extension. Here's to him having a good year.

As for Vick, I'm not a college football expert, but when all is said and done I see him as a top 5 pick. We're going to have to be really bad to get him. I saw him being hailed last year as the "New quarterback of the next millenium."<P>

Coogs
08-31-2000, 08:20 AM
I agree it'll be next to impossible to get him, even if he comes out after only 2 years at VaTech. But it is possible, albeit extremely costly!

BTW, even if Grbac makes the Pro-Bowl, he won't sniff a penny of that 10 million bonus with anything short of a Super Bowl championship.

------------------
ct

[This message has been edited by coryt (edited 08-31-2000).]

scooter
08-31-2000, 08:24 AM
'Continues to be mediocre'

EG is a long way from mediocre. You may contend that he's not elite. You may contend that he's not SB calibure. But he is a good QB. Far from mediocre.

Another thing about sophs in football vs basketball. In basketball you do have contact and that does hamper underage players, but you don't have 300lb men attempting to de-limb you as happens in football. Football is much more physical and mental than basketball. A soph is at a huge disadvantage. Many juniors are as well.

Vick needs to stay at VA Tech for at least his junior year.

Coltsinsider
09-01-2000, 02:51 AM
Yeah, I agree that he should at least do 3 years at VT. BUT, it is entirely possible for him to decide to come out after an outstanding(heisman??) soph season. He's a phenom athlete whos got the arm, size, and a pretty darn quick release for a 19 year old college QB. I agree that he'd be at least a top 5 pick and hard for our perennially decent Chiefs to get. But there are always ways to move up if your willing to make the sacrifice.

If Elvis flops this year, then I'll bet that Carl will finally quit waiting on his "development" and find a real QBOTF. Just dreamin I guess.

Coltsinsider
09-01-2000, 02:54 AM
Yeah, I agree that he should at least do 3 years at VT. BUT, it is entirely possible for him to decide to come out after an outstanding(heisman??) soph season. He's a phenom athlete whos got the arm, size, and a pretty darn quick release for a 19 year old college QB. I agree that he'd be at least a top 5 pick and hard for our perennially decent Chiefs to get. But there are always ways to move up if your willing to make the sacrifice.

If Elvis flops this year, then I'll bet that Carl will finally quit waiting on his "development" and find a real QBOTF. Just dreamin I guess.

shakesthecat
09-01-2000, 06:16 AM
I just read this in the Dallas Morning News, Brad Johnson of Washington, is a free agent next year, and with Jeff George, signed to a 4 yr contract, anything short of a Super Bowl, probably means he is available. I think he is only 27 or 28, could be wrong though.

Warrior5
09-01-2000, 06:41 AM
Brad Johnson could be an upgrade IMO. I'd certainly be in favour of that. But, of course, he is good in systems with dynamic offenses (Minn and Wash). And he is very injury prone.

If Grbac has a disappointing year, and Johnson stays healthy at Washington and becomes available, that would be a great move IMO.

Also, St. Louis are not going to be able to keep Trent Green for another season if Warner stays as #1 all season this year. He'd be available too I'm sure.