PDA

View Full Version : What I think I saw last Sunday

wutamess
09-07-2000, 02:14 PM
Just some random observations tempered by a few days’ distance…

1. Jimmy “3 & out” Raye IS as clueless as we thought.
2. We ain’t squat without Dave Szott.
3. We can only score if we face a short field.
4. Patton knows how to tackle.
5. We got no pressure from the front four.
6. Our blitz packages are transparent and hurt more than they help.
7. Too much slap and strip and not enough tackling.
8. “Preseason is for evaluation” caused the dropped passes.
9. Saurbrun is not the ST savior we hoped.
10. Our D did a good job and the O stunk. Then the D got tired and the Colts won the game.
11. We STILL cannot cover a screen pass.
12. Manning on a bad day is still the best QB in the NFL.
13. The referees STILL stink.
14. Morris belongs on the field.
15. When you move Richardson to HB, you lose a great blocker.
16. Warfield gives WAY too much cushion to the WRs.
17. Very little “bump” and lots of “run” in the secondary.
18. Grbac was having a good day until the pressure came on.
19. We played the Colts tough for ¾ of a game [kinda like last season].
20. Shaw did not elevate Schottenheimer’s slap and tickle Defense.

What stands out in this list is that the VAST majority of the problems are a direct result of the coaching staff.

xoxo~
gaz
currently very depressed about the men in charge.<BR>

Fern Dog
09-07-2000, 02:22 PM
Gaz,
Your last point is what a lot of fans think about the coaching staff. Most nfl teams can make adjustments in their defense and offense but the chiefs have no real game plan and cant adjust to the flow of the other team. It is almost like they are to stuburn to change their game plan and if they do it is always to late.

DoubleWannaB
09-07-2000, 02:25 PM
In regards to #13...Morris was one of the bright spots...he looks like he is ready for prime time...CP got this pick right...

In regards to #18...look at the INT again...he had a man open...unfortunately Grbac thought he had an arm like Elway...going left, throwing across your body off the back foot is reserved for the Elways...unless you are trying to throw a wounded duck right to the DB...

#1...ditto
#7...tackle first, ball second...people were trying to strip instead of tackling and waiting for someone else to come up and try the strip...
#9...not the savior but his kickoffs were better...first touchback in a long time...but poor punts, low, linedrives, cost us....

BTW Gaz, I took a bath before wednesday...

Also depressed about the men in charge.
------------------
joe
"I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together!"

[This message has been edited by 58Forever (edited 09-07-2000).]

[This message has been edited by 58Forever (edited 09-07-2000).]

TEX
09-07-2000, 02:32 PM
I saw a core of young players to build around. We are two players from a great Offense, Young QB, and HB. The rest is there, and I'm an Elvis backer, I just think we need to build for the future. The D is close, We need to draft front 4 players, and a CB, but I like this years Draft Picks.

Hoover

Gaz
09-07-2000, 02:33 PM
Hoover, unfortunately, our great O line doesn't have much time left. They are starting to get old.

nmt1
09-07-2000, 02:36 PM
Gaz,
Can't disagree with any of those points...The only one I would add is Raye and GOONTHAR's insistence to give Donnell Bennett 6 drive killing carries(-4 yards)...When are they going to figure out this guy is not a NFL tailback, fullback maybe, ball carrier? No way...

elvislivesinkc
09-07-2000, 02:49 PM
1. You knew it was going to be a long season when our defense jumps offside on the first play from scrimmage.

2. Szott's injury is a blessing in disguise. Let's face it, we aren't going to the Super Bowl this year and Szott is retiring at the end of the year. Might as well give playing time to his eventual replacement.

3. I thought our passing game looked good in the second half. Yes, we dropped balls, but on the bright side: a) Elvis was able to move the ball around to different wideouts, b) Morris emerged as a potential star and showed great athleticism, and c) Raye called passing plays where our receivers were able to get open. Those three items are huge improvements over last year.

4. I was very disappointed in our OL's run blocking. For a seasoned group of vets they did not open many holes. In past 12 years we were able to execute to perfection and gain yardage even though our opposition knew we would run.

All of our major problems stem from coaching, except for the lack of a pass rush, we just don't have talent their. Dropped balls, poor execution, stupid penalties, idiotic soft zone coverage, etc., all come from the fact that our first unit didn't play enough in the preseason and due to coaching inadequacies. Gunther was one helluva DC, it is a shame to see him over his head as HC. <BR>

Coogs
09-07-2000, 03:02 PM
Gaz, you're pretty much nails on this one. I'd like to add couple of my own:
Derrick Alexander is NOT a #1 WR. Dropping a TD late in the game is inexcuseable.
Greg Wesley hits like a truck.
Pat Dennis will probably beat out Warfield next year, if not this one.
I thought the D-line did a better job pressuring the QB than last year. Still not good enough though.
Mike Cloud, well, let's hope I'm wrong.<P>

wutamess
09-07-2000, 03:09 PM
shakesthecat-

I agree on Wesley and perhaps Dennis. I am an old hardcore QB-crushing Homer, so our distinct lack of a pass rush is a big disappointment to me. I think that Cloud got a raw deal, but I think he is virtually finished as a Chief.

I am torn on Alexander. Morris will be the #1 WR very soon. When that happens, do you make Alexander #2 or do you go with Lockett?

· Alexander runs very well after the catch [assuming the catch is made in the first place].

· Lockett catches everything within reach, but lacks speed and size.

Who becomes #2?

xoxo~
gaz
ambivalent at this point.<BR>

Bob Dole
09-07-2000, 03:13 PM
Gaz-#12? What the h#$%? You have to be joking right? He IS good. I love him, but number 12 was a joke right?

bigdaddychieffan
09-07-2000, 03:14 PM
Agreed Gaz. Our coaching staff is rank.

AZChief
09-07-2000, 03:14 PM
well gaz i would rather have lockett as the #2 reciever. what good is alexander's size and speed if he can't catch the ball? at least lockett seems to be able to catch the ball.
still roflmao about that "slap and tickle" comment

------------------
~Thats why they call me slim shady~

ct
09-07-2000, 03:21 PM
Gaz, I strongly disagree with #5. Our front four put pressure on Manning, remember he was sacked fewer than anyone last year. Why, because his quick 3 step release, he was not able to do that last week. I still would like to see a Kearse, but think we can survive with what we have for now.

Coogs
09-07-2000, 03:22 PM
Gaz,
It just seemed to me that Manning could smell what Clemons had for breakfast most of the day. Hicks also got around the corner pretty well. Manning is alot like Marino, in that it's 1,2,3 throw. You don't have much time. A little help up the middle would be nice.
Once Lockett gets out of the doghouse, he should be #2. With JR's play calling, we need a possesion guy for all the friggin 6 yard outs.

TEX
09-07-2000, 03:37 PM
Our O-Line is not old.
Tait, Riley, Shields,
I think Alford, Blackshere are upcomming players. All we need is a young center.

Hoover

DoubleWannaB
09-07-2000, 03:39 PM
That's what makes Manning a cut above the rest...like Shakes said...he is a lot like Marino...he gets rid of the ball very quickly
and he feels the pressure...except when he plays the Chiefs, I cheer for him...why can't we ever get a QB like him?...but I'm not willing to take a 2 and 14 season for someone like him...

What do you bet that on the play Grbac throws the INT...Manning completes the pass to the open man crossing the field?

------------------
joe
"I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together!"

ct
09-07-2000, 03:39 PM
Centers have a way of playing til their 80. Remember Jim Otto, Mike Webster, I think, Grunny will be offered a new contract next year.

wutamess
09-07-2000, 03:40 PM
Kurt-

Nope. I’d take Manning over any other QB in the NFL.

Who would you pick as better?

xoxo~
gaz
suspects he knows the answer to this one.<BR>

flowergirl
09-07-2000, 03:42 PM
One more addition:

Even with improved play at DE, our DTs (especially Glock) showed no improvement at all. Glock is going to lead the league in offsides penalties AGAIN!

------------------
This is my signature!! There are many like it but this one is mine!!

Bob Dole
09-07-2000, 03:45 PM
Gaz-You make me laugh. My reputation procedes me.....

Actually if I were building a team and I was going to use one QB for the next 10 years it would be Peyton. He is a great QB and a great individual. (I just thought #12 was a bit melodramatic.)

Now, why talk about that other guy, we both know who it is......Good to talk to ya.

[This message has been edited by Kurt Surber (edited 09-07-2000).]

King_Chief_Fan
09-07-2000, 03:45 PM
Actually the biggest difference I saw between Manning and EG Sunday was that Manning's recievers actually catch the ball. Manning also has the luxury of an actual offensive scheme.

EG's int was a poor decision, but Manning threw one as well. They're part of the game.

Sunday was further proof that Gun and the stooges are in over their heads.

[This message has been edited by ck_IN (edited 09-07-2000).]

BroncoFan
09-07-2000, 04:01 PM
Bob Dole thought Elvis looked fine, and Bob Dole is convinced that he actually saw at least two instances where Elvis looked at one receiver, then looked to another and threw the ball to him.

As for not having the talent to rush the passer: Bob Dole does contribute a lot of that to the coaching staff's lack of imagination rather than a lack of talent on the field. It seems that most of the defensive sets are as predictable as our pitiful excuse for an offense. If someone could come up with something decent, we could create the mismatches that would lead to sacks.

flowergirl
09-07-2000, 04:09 PM
Mr. Dole,

I get what you're saying, but don't you think it's pretty pathetic that you are reduced to pointing out when 30-year-old Elvis was actually able to throw to his second receiver?

It's like the guy's handicapped, for Pete's sake!

------------------

Bob Dole
09-07-2000, 04:12 PM
This is a hoot, NOW we are giving cuudos to Grbac because he;

"looked at one receiver, then looked to another and threw the ball to him."
Bob Dole, 2000.

LSHIPIMP!

Chieffan
09-07-2000, 04:16 PM
clint,

I'm Pete, and I didn't do it...Elvis threw that INT on his own http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

TheBigChief
09-07-2000, 04:17 PM
Clint,

Will you stop jumping offsides!!... Every time I want to post someting about ole Chester leading the league in offsides penalties... you beat me to it... sheesh, some people make it hard for a RAIDER to run smaque!!

Oh well, I guess I'll say that yes, Wesley brings some wood, but your defense really misses Tongue... Wesleys pass reads and help are slow... yes, he's young but he shold have got alot more work in preseason IMO.

------------------

[i] Momma said knock you out!!</I>

King_Chief_Fan
09-07-2000, 04:19 PM
I think it's being pointed out because looking off recievers is one of the biggest things people rag on EG about.

Now you're bitching about people pointing it out. Gotta luv them grbitchers. <P>

BroncoFan
09-07-2000, 04:20 PM
It is pathetic that Bob Dole has to point that out. Bob Dole was actually pointing and screaming "Look! Look! His head moved!" in the bar.

The fact remains that it is an improvement, and E's stats would have looked pretty good were it not for the dropped balls (which, contrary to popular belief, are neither Elvis' nor Carl's fault).<P>

King_Chief_Fan
09-07-2000, 04:23 PM
Now Bob, you know better than that. The reciever couldn't have dropped the ball. It had to be a bad throw by EG. After all, all evil in the world is squarely the fault of either EG or CP.

BroncoFan
09-07-2000, 04:30 PM
And interestingly, had Carl not dropped those 8 passes, Elvis' QB rating would have been a quite satisfactory 100.8.

(This given that the 8 passes would have averaged 5.7 yards and Alexander's would have been a TD.)

flowergirl
09-07-2000, 04:43 PM
Chuck,

I will be proven right if Grbac is not a Chief after this season...I think there is a STRONG possibility he won't be.

Let's put a sticker on his forehead for looking at a 2nd receiver once or twice against an average Indy secondary! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

------------------

Gaz
09-07-2000, 04:48 PM
EG did do a good job on Sunday (except for the int), and I am glad that Raye decided to let him put the ball in the air more. But I am hoping that instead of going back to more running because of the recievers dropped passes, that we work on CATCHING the ball in practice and continue the air game. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

milkman
09-07-2000, 07:00 PM
When I got back home Monday after the long weekend I posted what ended up being a lot of negative observations about the Chiefs, many of which Gaz echoed here. But after thinking about it all week, I think there were a lot of good things in the game too.

For example, I guess I have to disagree with Gaz a little bit, because I thought we did get some pressure on Manning. We could do better, but it was a step in the right direction. And after a lackluster 1st quarter, our defense seemed to stiffen up. Unfortunately they gave up in the 4th quarter, but again they show some promise. I thought tackling was better, it was just the coverage was too soft.

The offense is about what I expected, typical low power Chiefs offense. But I thought Morris did a helluva job and I'm glad to see they're starting him against the Titans. Moreau could prove to be a find too, it's just too early to tell. I hope we see a lot more of him Sunday.

wutamess
09-08-2000, 07:40 AM
When I compare Manning and Grbac in last Sunday’s game, I don’t pay as much attention to the stats as I do their composure and leadership.

Manning brings his team to the line, reads the D and makes adjustments at the line of scrimmage. He was making audibles on most plays that I saw. When the ball is snapped, he makes his read and delivers the ball quickly. As someone else pointed out, Manning reminds me of Marino.

Grbac does not.

xoxo~
gaz
suffering QB envy.<BR>

wutamess
09-08-2000, 07:49 AM
Lest I be accused of being negative, here are the good things:

1. Morris is everything he was advertised to be.
2. Ditto Tait.
3. Sauerbrun’s kickoffs were a huge improvement over last season.
4. Wesley and Dennis will be good players.
5. Patton’s tackles should be used as study guides.
6. Maslowski oozes Special Teams ‘tude.
7. Grbac looked off a defender.
8. Moreau shows real promise.
9. Lockett has great hands.
10. We got close to Manning a few times, even with his quick release.
11. Penalties were down somewhat.
12. We were in position to make [3] interceptions.
13. Grbac played will for most of the game.
14. Rookies got playing time.

Note the pathetic representation of good things related to the coaching staff.

xoxo~
gaz
disappointed that he couldn’t think of twenty good things.<BR>

Yosef_Malkovitch
09-08-2000, 08:04 AM
15. We 'discovered' that we shouldn't give the ball to Bennett.

Luz
trying to help...

Raiderhader
09-08-2000, 08:08 AM
Gaz:

Re: #5

I will go you one further on that one.

I think they should set aside one practice each week and have Patton teach each and every Defensive & ST player the TRUE form of the art of tackling correctly. On the Tuesday after each game(until this problem is corrected) the person who missed the most tackles or did the poorest job of trying to tackle(this could be more than one player)should be used as the demonstration "tackling dummy" for Marcvus during the teaching session for that week.

I would bet that the tackling woes for this team would disappear within a short time.

mmaddog
would be happy to expand this to ST & Defensive coaches that brought about this lack of tackling prowess

------------------
"When you're not the lead dog in the pack, the view is always the same"

elvislivesinkc
09-08-2000, 10:40 AM
I've read a lot of people praising Dennis. what did I miss? I know he broke up a pass in the endzone, but I thought he was lucky not have gotten a flag. He never turned his head to look at the ball. Was his coverage good on other plays?

Raiderhader
09-08-2000, 10:50 AM
NJ:

That play was good because:

1)He didn't commit the foul by raising his hands to block the view of the receiver. Most rookies(and many vets too) would have made that mistake.

2)He played the ball, not the man. He got his and on the ball before the receiver could come down and made no contact that would give the official the opportunity to call either pass interference or, in the case that the receiver caught the ball and landed OOB, that the reciever was "pushed" out of bounds.

mmaddog

------------------
"When you're not the lead dog in the pack, the view is always the same"

Mi_chief_fan
09-08-2000, 11:38 AM
In last Sunday's game, did the Chiefs use a lot of motion with the wide receiver or TG? It seems as if we are going to have to do that in order to chip Kearse when we go toward him or chip him so he doesn't chase 'em down from the other side of the field?

I am not auditioning for JR's job, but could probably do better. :P

------------------
bk

Kurt Surber
09-09-2000, 12:44 AM
Gaz,

I'm impressed with your look at both the good and bad of a game that was competitive despite 9 dropped balls by our receivers and tight ends.

Good review!

Kurt Surber
09-09-2000, 12:46 AM
Grbac needs to learn how to throw a fade route in the endzone. Especially since he has morris and gonzo that can go up for a ball.