PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs looking at kickers AND punters!!

flowergirl
09-12-2000, 11:33 AM
http://www.sportstalk.com/nfl/rumors/index.shtml

I'm truly amazed.

------------------
This is my signature!! There are many like it but this one is mine!!

AustinChief
09-12-2000, 11:37 AM
Clint - Thanks, shake ups abound this week. Maybe for some change, and hopefully for the better.

DoubleWannaB
09-12-2000, 11:39 AM
Why not...I'm not going to lay all the blame on Stoyo, IMO, it was more the coaches fault we lost, but had he made the FG, were not having this discussion...

So what, he's been in the league for 14 years or whatever, he's one of the best of all time...who gives a ****...this game is about winning and if you have to hurt some folks along the way, so be it...

And Todd's punting killed us in both games so far...and his kick offs haven't exactly been great...**** him too!.... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/mad.gif

------------------
joe
"I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together!"

G_Man
09-12-2000, 11:40 AM
Oh goody, we get to relive this all over again. Ouch, this is gonna get worse before it gets better, IMHO.

AustinChief
09-12-2000, 11:42 AM
Joe - (That is Joe under the 58Forever isn't it?) How about a little for Raye as well? After all, maybe Stoyo would have hit when we should have been kicking instead attempting a 4th down. Or a little less running if it is so darn ineffectual.

AustinChief
09-12-2000, 11:43 AM
Morph brings validity to the table with his post. Wasn't it Pope who was to be our saving grace last year? And weren't a great many of you pleased with that decision?

G_Man
09-12-2000, 11:53 AM
Russ - The article said that at least 2 other teams are looking at kickers, it was a real shame that Dennis Green decided to put out the money for his kicker right before he made the trip to KC, I'm sure we would have made him an offer.

htismaqe
09-12-2000, 12:48 PM
This is ok, I guess, but I'd MUCH rather they look at new coaches...

Lurker Brett
09-12-2000, 01:17 PM
Why the hell doesn't Todd Peterson just come to practice in short sleeves, or barefoot, without a cup.........anything! The job is his if he just takes the opportunity http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

G_Man
09-12-2000, 01:20 PM
Cormac - As reported earlier he is still about 6 weeks away from playing with and Ab's tear or some sort of injury.

DoubleWannaB
09-12-2000, 01:21 PM
KCWolfman,

don't get me started on Raye, my blood pressure is already high enough...

As I said, it was the coaches fault more than any player, kicker or otherwise...you are right, kick a FG instead of going for it...you have to take the points on the road..would have been a victory for the Titans D but not as much as stopping us on 4th down...

Given the choice, I'll keep Todd and Pete and get rid of Jimmy...thank you very much...

------------------
joe

Lurker Brett
09-12-2000, 01:22 PM
Morph,

Thanks for the heads-up....... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/redface.gif

shakesthecat
09-12-2000, 01:26 PM
I think Jon Baker is still available. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
[b]ct
The 3 Stooges must go!!</B>

G_Man
09-12-2000, 01:29 PM
Cory - I thought he was punting for the Rams, or is that a diff guy (grin).

[This message has been edited by morphius (edited 09-12-2000).]

tomahawkchop
09-12-2000, 01:59 PM
Tuesday morning QBing is pathetic!

Going for it on 4th and goal is THE correct call there irregardless if it's on the road or not.

Running a sweep with a virtual rookie instead of using Moreau with TRich blocking was idiotic!

Besides, we almost had 2 points were it not for McNair's strength, and the Titans just about had their punt blocked in the endzone.

No fingerpointing from this writer on going for it.....

G_Man
09-12-2000, 02:06 PM
No_cal - Going for it was the right call, not passing on at least one of those downs was the wrong call.

wutamess
09-12-2000, 02:09 PM
Agreed. Going for the TD on 1st & Goal from the 4 is mandatory. The play selection, alas, was vintage Raye.

Going for the TD was the correct decision, allowing Raye to call the plays was the wrong decision.

xoxo~
gaz
also would have kicked the FG instead of puntin from the Titans’ 33.<BR>

kcmax
09-12-2000, 02:15 PM
What Gun says --
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR> Q: What has happened to your kicking game ?

CUNNINGHAM: "I used disappointing and frustrating. I would say that would be frustrating and not disappointing. I think they're both fine kickers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What he means --

there's nothing else out there folks. Believe me, we've looked<P>

tomahawkchop
09-12-2000, 02:20 PM
Gaz,

That was a curious decision to forsake the 50 yarder after laying your nuts on the line with the 4th and goal the series before.

I mean it makes complete sense to attempt it because we have Stoyo.......

Correction! They knew exactly what they were doing!

shakesthecat
09-12-2000, 02:29 PM
Given that we're goin for it, the 4th down play call was OK by me. The 3rd down play was stupid. Everybody knows we love the quick handoff to our FB in very short situations!!!

The sweep with Cloud should have been a cake walk into the end zone. All he has to do, after bouncing outside, is cut back inside of Favors. Didn't anybody else see that HUGE seam there, but Cloud completely missed it.

Personally, I don't give a sh!t about the Titan moral victory, I take the chip shot 3pts on the road.

Not attempting the 50-yd FG says only 1 thing folks: Gun has ZERO faith in Stoyo's distance.

------------------
ct
The 3 Stooges must go!!

[This message has been edited by coryt (edited 09-12-2000).]

flowergirl
09-12-2000, 02:30 PM
I agree that going for it was the right call, but the play was pathetic for 2 reasons:

1. Using Cloud instead of TRich, Moreau, or even Anders, who are all at least as fast and much stronger than Cloud.

2. Calling a play that forces the HB to run 10-12 yards when the ball was on the 3 yard line.

------------------
This is my signature!! There are many like it but this one is mine!!

DoubleWannaB
09-12-2000, 02:39 PM
Hindsight is 20/20...the fact is that we should have never had to face a 4th and goal...did anyone else notice that on the 1st down play the Titans had 11 men in the box...and on 2nd and third down as well...virtually any play to the outside, a sweep, bootleg, play fake pass into the endzone would have worked and we're not talking about 4th down...that was the most pathetic play calling sequence I've seen...

------------------
joe

King_Chief_Fan
09-12-2000, 02:50 PM
I've got to disagree about going for it. On 4th down, on the road, in the 1st qtr with the score 0-0, and after getting a big turnover, I take the three.

It's essentially an extra point from that distance. Put the three on the board, take the lead, take the crowd out of the game. Also it gives the D a bone for getting the turnover.

tomahawkchop
09-12-2000, 03:05 PM
How does having the opposing team wimp out at the goal line and call the FG unit on "take the fans out of the game"?

IF/WHEN the Chiefs hold the team on 4th down, I then become extremely nervous seeing our offense lining up at the 1 yard line.

McNair almost got sacked for 2 points and the punt came thisclose to being blocked.

Going up 3-0 at that point would have been admitting to the Titans that we cannot get one measley yard when it counts. (Far better to keep it a secret, eh?)

King_Chief_Fan
09-12-2000, 06:02 PM
Ok Cal, lets take the opposite tack. We go for it and don't make it. Then the crowd gets pumped because their D stopped us on the goal line when all we needed was 'one measely yard'.

At home, I'd go for it. On the road I take the three.

Put the points up and challenge Tenn to do something about it. Also reward the D for getting the turnover. As it was they got the TO and we came away empty.

elvislivesinkc
09-12-2000, 06:11 PM
I'm in the minority on this one, I think you go for it on fourth down and I think the play call was good.

If you can't get a yard you don't deserve to win the game. You also make the other team go 99 yards. It's a no brainer to me. How many times did we call for Marty's head for taking the FG and not having the killer instinct?

As to the play call, we had Pro-Bowler Will Shields isolated on a LB with our #1 HB behind him. You can't get a better matchup than that. Unfortunately our #1 HB is Cloud. Had Cloud cut inside or just jumped on Shields' back for a piggy-back ride it would have been 6 points.<BR>

AustinChief
09-12-2000, 06:16 PM
Chiefnj;

I still blame it on the coaches.

I'll agree, I like the decision to go for it.

I'll agree, I like the decision to run the ball.

I won't agree, I think Moreau should have been in there pounding it rather than our 205lb. weakling...

------------------
Parker
ChiefsPlanet Administrator
Jimmy Raye for President...anything to get him out of Kansas City
[i]More Moreau</I>

nmt1
09-12-2000, 07:41 PM
If we are looking for new kickers, why the hell didn't we sign Joe Nedney before the Bronc's? At a minimum he solves our kickoff issues cause he has a bazooka leg...But he also looked very good in the off-season and pre-season with the Rump Raiders on his accuracy...

elvislivesinkc
09-12-2000, 07:58 PM
As for our kicking problems, if we wait until mid October we could sign Mia Hamm. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif<BR>

nmt1
09-12-2000, 08:00 PM
Maybe she can call the ofensive plays along with handling the kicking duties.

mikey23545
09-12-2000, 09:25 PM
The bottom line is that it was the correct call to go for it on 4th down. The moronic part was having Cloud run the ball to the outside in that situation. I was yelling at the TV as soon as Cloud got outside, "Cut inside!" But instead he just ran right into Favors. We should have ran the ball up the middle...

[This message has been edited by Cannibal (edited 09-12-2000).]

Snapper
09-12-2000, 09:41 PM
For what it's worth I think it was the WRONG call and I said it before they went for it. It was wrong for the Chiefs because how many times have the Chiefs succeeded on 4th down this year? It was wrong because this team seems to always come up short. We needed 3 inches and we lost a yard. Had we needed a foot we would have lost a foot. Any other time we could gain 3 inches EXCEPT when we really need it. That's the downfall of the RBBC. If we're a good offensive team, "ok" - maybe, but we're NOT so you take the almost sure thing in the field goal. That's just my opinion, everyone is entitled to theirs. Of course maybe Gun thught we were OUT OF STOYO"S RANGE!

Yosef_Malkovitch
09-13-2000, 07:15 AM
Any word on tryout results?

Luz
???...

Dartgod
09-13-2000, 08:06 AM
Keeping Cloud on the team was a mistake. He doesn't know how to find a hole. Watch the tapes, he will run to the designed hole, no matter what is there (someone's butt).

Remember Marcus Allen? If you have a tape of one of his games watch his eyes. Marcus was always looking for a path of least resistance. When he was mentoring Greg Hill, Hill was looking for the holes. After Marcus retired Hill closed his eyes and ran for the pile, just like Cloud.

IMHO the Chiefs should have kept Shay, I saw him run in one game in Europe, he found the holes even though he had no offensive line.

If you review the stats, Shay is quicker than Cloud, shorter, smarter.

Our best choice now seems to be Moreau (fumbles not considered). He seems to be alot quicker than the rest when it comes to the first 5 yards and getting into the hole.

Of course, this only my opinoin.

Boise_Chief
09-13-2000, 08:19 AM
Tom -

with all due respect, enough with the Shay support already. He could not cut it in Europe, and he will never cut it in the NFL. He's tough and gritty, but not NFL caliber. Cloud is twice the RB that Shay will ever be, and that aint saying much.

BroncoFan
09-13-2000, 08:27 AM
Bob Dole thought he saw some serious leg strength out of Moreau this past Sunday and will be interested to see what he does when he actually has a hole to run through...

Snapper
09-13-2000, 11:26 AM
Any word on the tryout results? BTW, the Donx signed Nedney.

ColoradoChief
09-13-2000, 11:41 AM
Gun won't be able to figure out who to sign, since it's not cold enough yet for anyone to prove how tough they are.

------------------

Red Eyes
[i]Chinn Up, it ain't nothin' but a thang.</I>