PDA

View Full Version : For all of you that are predicting a Chiefs victory at Tenn...

ChiefsAlltheWay
09-08-2000, 05:09 AM
Could you please share what you've been smoking with the rest of us. I want the Chiefs to win as much as any other Chiefs fan, but we have a snowballs chance in hell of winning this weekend. This is the same Tennessee team that went 9-0 at home last year & lost the Super Bowl by a yard. Expecting the Chiefs, that have had to replace DT, Barndt, Horn, Vanover, Glenn Parker, Tongue & Rison during the offseason, to go out & beat Tennessee in their home opener is a pipe dream at best.

If I'm wrong, I will gladly eat crow for this post come Sunday afternoon.<P>

Smltheppl
09-08-2000, 05:29 AM
Sure,

It's called informed analysis. We match up well with the Titans, and they're not all that great. They looked pretty flat on Sunday, their offense in particular is awful. If McNair can keep from getting happy feet they'll probably do okay moving the ball. We have a strong pass rush though, and he'll get frustrated and start running around in the backfield. This is the NFL and on any given Sunday...

------------------
1) Crush your enemies
2) See them driven before you
3) Hear the lamentation of the women

ChiefsAlltheWay
09-08-2000, 05:38 AM
Tenn couldn't move the ball much last weekend. But that was against Buffalo's defense in Buffalo. Even with the addition of Pickens, Tennessee may not be able to have a lot of success passing against us. But they won't need to because they will be able to run the ball at will with Eddie George.

Yosef_Malkovitch
09-08-2000, 05:47 AM
Thank you, but I think I'll still watch the game anyway.

The Chiefs have every possibility of winning ~ much, much more than a snowballs chance.

Whether it's vogue to say it or not, the Chiefs have a good team. They need to step it up, and a couple of coaches need to be 'beaten about the head and shoulders with a blunt instrument' http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif, but they are indeed, a very good team.

To wright them off at this part of the season would be premature.

Luz
i hate being premature...

Smltheppl
09-08-2000, 05:47 AM
I doubt it. We controlled James very well for the first three quarters. It was only in the forth when our D was dog tired and had been in the sun all day that he started to pick up yards. Same thing will happen in Tenn. if w have as many 3 and outs on offense, but I don't expect us to.

------------------
1) Crush your enemies
2) See them driven before you
3) Hear the lamentation of the women

Yosef_Malkovitch
09-08-2000, 06:46 AM
KC Jones,

I agree. I actually like how we match up against them, and I can't imagine our O executing as poorly this game.

Win or lose, we don't have a terrible team. It might even surprise those of our brethren with little faith.

Luz
having semi trucks full of faith...

ansonsdad
09-08-2000, 07:43 AM
It is not out of the question. If a stranger came up to me on the street with a million bucks and told me he would give it to me if I picked the winner of the game, I would have to go with Tenn, but I have no doubt that if the Chiefs step it up, they have a chance to win. I for one will be enjoying the game on direct tv with one of my chiefs jerseys on, eating ribs and doing my best to help them out. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif CHIEFS!!

ansonsdad
09-08-2000, 07:44 AM
It is not out of the question. If a stranger came up to me on the street with a million bucks and told me he would give it to me if I picked the winner of the game, I would have to go with Tenn, but I have no doubt that if the Chiefs step it up, they have a chance to win. I for one will be enjoying the game on direct tv with one of my chiefs jerseys on, eating ribs and doing my best to help them out. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif CHIEFS!!

The-Man
09-08-2000, 07:48 AM
Not only am I predicting a win by the Chiefs, I am also predicting a win by Mizzou over Clemson this weekend. Justin Smith will be on a rampage.
As far as smoking I think eating a few mushrooms from Southwest MO will to much more to get you in the right mood. Just blend them up with a little OJ and enjoy life and a Mizzou win on Sat. followed by a win by the Chiefs on Sun.

ChiefsAlltheWay
09-08-2000, 08:40 AM
I'll go with that Mizzou pick over Clemson. I'll boldy predict a 24-19 victory and Justin Smith will get 4 sacks.

[This message has been edited by mizzou5 (edited 09-08-2000).]

Duck Dog
09-08-2000, 08:54 AM
3 Reasons

1) "Any given Sunday"

2) Positive outlook

3) They are my team GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!

Mi_chief_fan
09-08-2000, 11:04 AM
MIzzou,

How did justin play in the first game?

------------------
bk

DoubleWannaB
09-08-2000, 12:00 PM
Because I'm a homer...I'll never pick the Chiefs to lose...and I think it may be all the paint I've been sniffing... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/cool.gif

------------------
joe
"I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together!"

ChiefsAlltheWay
09-08-2000, 12:33 PM
bkkcoh,
I know that Smith had a sack, but I didn't get to see the game. Hopefully, I'll be able to see tomorrows game.<BR>

Boise_Chief
09-08-2000, 12:53 PM
3 Reasons they could win:
1.) If our D plays like they did against Indy, we will keep the offense in line to win it.

2.) Special Teams couldn't get much worse, and hopefully Hall will return and get us better field positioning.

3.) If we give EG some protection up front, I'm looking for Morris and TG (3 wr spread) to have a big day against the Tenn DB's.

4 reasons we could lose:
1.) Chiefs have been a lousy road team in recent years (outside of divisional play).

2.) Offense has shown little improvement from the Preseason debacle.

3.) Jevon Kearse, Jevon Kearse, Jevon Kearse

4.) DB's play. The rookies did ok at home, how will they do on the road?

[This message has been edited by ChiTown (edited 09-08-2000).]

Larry Reed
09-08-2000, 01:09 PM
Mizzou, I'm completely with you - objective analysis would say we're going to lose this Sunday. I think predictions to the contrary are based mostly on hopes, dreams and a series of if's that make the scenario improbable - i.e. IF we can stuff Eddie George, IF we can stop the Freak, IF we can get McNair from passing AND running, IF our DB's step up, IF our receivers catch the ball, IF EG can avoid brain lock, IF we can get the running game going, IF we can take the home crowd out of it, etc. etc, - you get the picture.

Kokanee
Sorry, but reality rears its ugly head...

Shootr
09-08-2000, 01:49 PM
I don't know why I think they will win. It's just a gut feeling.

nmt1
09-08-2000, 02:51 PM
Because any team going up against Steve McNairs "dump it to the TE" offense has a very good chance of winning...Who ever, wins the battle of turnovers in the Titan games, wins the game...I think the battle of turnovers is a battle that we can win.

The-Man
09-08-2000, 07:58 PM
Bkkcoh
Justin had a good game last week, one of the things he did is to pull double and triple team. This opened the other guys to get in the action.
For at least the first few games I think you will see teams keying on Justin until they soon lean the Tigers have more than Justin on the D.
The new O showed some of the promise of whats to come.

Kurt Surber
09-08-2000, 08:23 PM
Some people have faith in their team.

Snapper
09-09-2000, 12:53 AM
The Titans could have beaten the Bills if they hadn't dropped a TD pass. Also, they have something to prove - their run game. I'm betting that BOTH george and McNair run all over the Chiefs and Pickens and Dysen will benefit. IMHO, no way the Chiefs win this one. If it's close, the Chiefs will make a BIG mistake and it will cost them. There is NOT 1 sound unit on this team. A big mistake can come at any time from any unit. Throw in the fact that the game is on the road in a loud stadium and it doesn't bode well for KC.

Yosef_Malkovitch
09-09-2000, 07:26 AM
The Chiefs could have beaten the Colts if they hadn't dropped a number of passes. Also, we have something to prove - our run game. I'm betting that BOTH TRich and Moreau run all over the Titans and Gonzales and Morris will benefit. IMHO, no way the Titans win this one. If it's close, the Titans will make a BIG mistake and it will cost them. There is NOT 1 sound unit on their team. A big mistake can come at any time from any unit. Throw in the fact that the game is on the road in a loud stadium and it could be thr Titans only hope.

Luz
http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/cool.gif<BR>

ct
09-09-2000, 07:44 AM
I picked Tennessee, but that doesn't make me want to see the Chiefs lose. I live here in Knoxville, and it sickened me to have to live through the Vols #1 rating a couple seasons ago, but that is nothing compared to what I will have to live through Monday, especially if it is a blowout loss. For those who think our defense can contain McNair, we may in the passing game, but he will probably run for 100 yards. Hell, Manning picked up a key 3rd down, and he can't move any better than Elvis.

KUChief
09-09-2000, 08:33 AM
I think the Chiefs are going to lose by at least a couple of touchdowns.

micin
09-09-2000, 09:00 AM
Luzap,

"The Chiefs could have beaten the colts if it werent for so many dropped passes"

Earth to Luzap: The Colts would have won by 30 if it were for a couple of turnovers and two fantom pass inteference calls. The Chiefs got routed. You would find positives in a 63-0 blowout.

Luzap, Put away the cocaine and log off the computer. You come back to talk when you have a clean head.

Titans 27, Chiefs 6

wutamess
09-09-2000, 09:06 AM
Brock-

Why is that? The Titans are not an Offensive juggernaut.

xoxo~
gaz
curious as to the rationale.<BR>

KUChief
09-09-2000, 09:28 AM
Gaz - If you look at last season, the Titans didn't have a lot of trouble putting up points. They came within a yard of outscoring the Rams in the big game. They looked bad last week at Buffalo, but Buffalo has a great defense and they were very fired up to exact some revenge at home. The Titans have formidable weapons at every skill position, and those weapons have more experience than the Colts. I don't think the Titans will have any trouble scoring on the Chiefs. Couple that with one of the better defenses in the league going up against Jimmy Raye's oh-so-imaginative offensive game plan, and I foresee a blowout win for the Titans.

wutamess
09-09-2000, 09:40 AM
Brock-

The Titans came close to beating the Rams because the slowed the Rams down with their Defense, not because of a powerful Offense.

I certainly disagree that the Titans have formidable weapons at every skill position. They have a great WR in Pickens and a good TE in Wycheck. Their HB is head and shoulders over ours. McNair is not a great QB, he is a QB who runs.

The Titans are a team very similar to the Chiefs if we had Gannon as QB.

Given our lousy record on the road and the current state of our coaching staff, I donít expect a win in Tennessee, but I donít see the Titans as a far superior team. Tennessee has three HUGE advantages going into Sundayís game:

1. Home field.
2. Eddie George.
3. Jimmy Raye.

xoxo~
gaz
not ready to roll over for the Mighty Titans just yet.<BR>

KUChief
09-09-2000, 09:49 AM
Gaz - I hope you're right, but I don't think so. Also, McNair is what the NFL quarterback is evolving into. Take a look at the younger quarterbacks in the league: Culpepper, McNown, McNabb, etc.....They all can make something out of a busted play with their feet. Like it or not, with defenses getting better and better, the running quarterback is the future of the league.

KUChief
09-09-2000, 09:52 AM
Gaz - I hope you're right, but I don't think so. Also, McNair is what the NFL quarterback is evolving into. Take a look at the younger quarterbacks in the league: Culpepper, McNown, McNabb, etc.....They all can make something out of a busted play with their feet. Like it or not, with defenses getting better and better, the running quarterback is the future of the league.

wutamess
09-09-2000, 10:38 AM
Brock-

Unfortunately, those three advantages should be sufficient for Tennessee to win the game. I will still take KC in the pick'em contest, but I would not bet the mortgage check on it.

I think you are right about running QBs being the future of the game. It adds another dimension to your Offensive attack [a concept KC fans are not familiar with]. The problem with this approach is that it exposes your QB to a ferocious pounding. Can these young QBs last for years with the brutal bashing they will take when they leave the pocket?

xoxo~
gaz
would like to see Grbac run forward once in a while.<BR>

Snapper
09-09-2000, 11:15 AM
Lutz,
How did the Chiefs almost beat the Colts??? There's no way to compare the Chiefs effort at home to the Titans effort at Buffalo. The fact is, the Colts made many mistakes that prevented them from scoring more. The Bills made none and the Titans made 2 "biggies". BTW, the Chiefs ALWAYS have to prove that they can run, and they try to do it against 8 man fronts - a reason why I think the Titans will win. The other's are the FACT that the Titans are more solid in EVERY phase of the game and much better coached. At least we agree that they will also have home field. When was the last time the Chiefs beat a good team on the road?

The-Chief
09-09-2000, 03:03 PM
All I can say is ANY GIVIN SUNDAY...In that I mean I really don't see any team dominating to the extent that you can see you don't have a chance in hell. Look at last weeks Redskin, Raider, Cowboy game. NEED I SAY MORE?

DaneMcCloud
09-09-2000, 04:12 PM
Part 1:

I think the Chiefs are going to win this Sunday... but then again, I'm a blinded, rose-colored-glasses-wearing homer who has yet to find a world existing outside of the scheme of the red and the gold...

Now for the reality dose: It can be done...

On Defense, we need to hang Hasty with Pickins and keep one of the LB's over the TE. After that, their passing game doesn't worry me. Go take a look at McNair's stats--outside of his rushing ability, he has the stats of a good back up, not a top notch QB. It's practical common sense that we aren't going to be facing a passing attack like we did last week. So the Chiefs need to go out there and key on stopping the run. This week Wesley should be played up close to the line of scrimmage and used kinda in the way that Denver used to use Atwater--as basically a S/LB hybrid. Use him as a safety valve as well as tell him to hit anything that comes through the line as hard as he can.

George is a damn fine runner with good power, but he's not real speedy like scat backs, so really, with the speed that we have on our defense, we should be able to contain him within a small area if we just tackle the guy.

To be continued...

------------------
Lightening Crashes... and i am there...

DaneMcCloud
09-09-2000, 04:14 PM
Part 2 (ended halfway in thought, sorry) :

This shouldn't be too hard--say what you will about last weeks game, we tended to tackle better than we did in the preseason.

On offense, all we have to do is mix it up (as everyone else has been saying) and set a tone. First play--straight drop back hit Morris on a crossing route. It'll keep the defense honest and will help open up the run. (feeding the ball to just one back would be nice as well) Tait and Riley need to have a big game against Kerse, too.

ST--Parker returning KO's has to be an upgrade over Cloud. I hope Cloud runs well tomorrow as the HB, but he showed a lack of vision and moves returning kicks.

It's simple--the Titans went to the big dance last year, but they're really nothing special--especially in their passing game. This game is winnable...

And forget about the fact it's in Tennessee... the way the fans at Arrowhead have been acting over the past year and a half, playing on the road could actually be an advantage for us...

(I'm not smoking anything, but I got a bottle of pain medicine sitting here, does that count for anything?) http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Lightening Crashes... and i am there...

Snapper
09-09-2000, 05:26 PM
Romel,
that is indeed true. However all the teams you listed are better coached than the Chiefs. Would Gunther ever go for an on-sides-kick on the road in the first game of the season? NO! I'm not suggesting he's a bad coach for not trying this high risk move, but he will ALWAYS play conservative and Jimmy Raye could NOT game plan his way out of a FREAKIN PAPER BAG! Our coaching staff is one of the worst in the NFL - and it shows from week to week.

bkkcoh
09-09-2000, 06:04 PM
Chieficus,
I have to agree with most of what you stated, except...Titans ARE something special. Any team that loses the SB to the Rams by a mere yard is something special.
On D, the key is containing Goerge and McNair and forcing McNair to pass. If that means jamming 7 (or 8) Chiefs in the trenches, then so be it. Of course, we have to play tighter coverage against their receivers. McNair's strength is running; negate it. His weakness is passing; force him to.
On O, you're right: we have to mix it up. Kearse tends to overpursue. Slants, crossing patterns, and developed screens on ANY down will keep Kearse and Co guessing. I have to believe, HAVE TO, that Gun and JR will try this, since smashmouth hasn't worked because opposing teams expect this.
WE HAVE TO BREAK THE MOLD OF PREDICTABILITY ON THIS GAME!
My $.02

mikey23545
09-09-2000, 06:22 PM
Everyone take Luz's blind homer predictions with a grain of salt please. Luz, you told me to save this so I did.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR>Luzap
Post# 5 posted 08-26-2000 10:28 AM

This is a serious prediction.
35-17 Chiefs.
The Colts WILL be underestimating us and it's their first game also.
We have the DT factor and I think you will see a truly motivated, hard hitting, turnover causing team on the field. Our running game is better than last years and so are our STs.
I wouldn't be surprised to see our D score 14 pts this game.
Look for Chester and Clemmons to have big games on D. On O, Cloud and Richardson could gain 100 yds each. If that even comes close to happening, then Gonzales and/or Alexander are going to have some TDs.
Luz
ok, fire away at me, just save this post...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought the part about Chester having a huge game was especially funny. Chet finished that game with two offsides penalties and 1 measly tackle. Although the part about Cloud running for a hundred yards was pretty funny as well.

[This message has been edited by Cannibal (edited 09-09-2000).]

ChiefsAlltheWay
09-18-2000, 10:08 AM
bkkcoh,I know that Smith had a sack, but I didn't get to see the game. Hopefully, I'll be able to see tomorrows game.