PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Marty to replace Cowher in Pittsburg after season ends

BroncoFan
09-18-2000, 10:24 AM
"The Steelers have lost nine of their past 10 games and eight consecutive AFC Central match-ups. Look for ex-Chiefs and Browns coach Marty Schottenheimer to replace Bill Cowher at the end of the season. Schottenheimer attended the University of Pittsburgh."

Just thought it was an interesting comment.
http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/ce/multi/0,1329,2792339_59,00.html <BR>

gh4chiefs
09-18-2000, 10:27 AM
Cool. Let someone else wallow in Marty's infamous also-ran failure. As a Cleveland fan once told me years ago, Marty's just good enough to break your heart every year. Too bad he can't go to a division rival.

[This message has been edited by frazod (edited 09-18-2000).]

ChiefsAlltheWay
09-18-2000, 10:28 AM
That would be a smack in the face for Cowher. Getting replaced by the Coach you used to work for. If this happens, what are the odds that Cowher would come to KC if Gun gets fired?

mikey23545
09-18-2000, 10:36 AM
If I were Marty, I'd look into the Bengals.

They have a multitude of talent on offense, and some very good talent on defense. They'll be getting another high draft pick also.

With Marty coaching the Bengals they could be a contender. He would actually have some talent at all of the skill positions, something he's never really had much of.

Luzap
09-18-2000, 10:36 AM
I hope the odds are zero to none.

Cowher is a very intense coach and I like that. I just wouldn't want him in KC. I want someone that knows how to pick & RETAIN talent and run a decent Offense. Cowher should become a DC somewhere when he's canned.

ct
09-18-2000, 10:42 AM
If Washington somehow loses to Dallas tonight, he may be employed in Washington, by next week.

suds79
09-18-2000, 10:46 AM
Bill Cower is intense.

Bill Cower is basically a DC.

Bill Cower is a Chief. He would work well in KC. He knows defense and could help out there. As for offense, he knows to let the better man call the plays.

I'd take him in a New York minute!<P>

G_Man
09-18-2000, 10:46 AM
Kcred - I'm not sure he could work for that owner, but it is a much better situation with the talent on that team vs how low the Steelers have dropped.

bigdaddychieffan
09-18-2000, 10:48 AM
Phobia - it wasn't Cowher's fault that Pittsburgh couldn't 'retain' it's players: their owner is notoriously cheap. When a player exceded all expectations - achieved all-pro status, they demanded more money. Subsequently, the Steelers let him go. Add to that the fact that almost all of his original coordinators were pilfered by other teams - rivals mostly - and you arrive to what Pittsburgh is now: a mere shadow of its former self. If I were Cowher, I'd want to get outta there.

Cannibal - I agree: Cincy + Marty = contender. Laugh now -- but I can definitely see it!

gh4chiefs
09-18-2000, 10:50 AM
You have to figure if Marty gets a HC job anywhere Kurt will follow him there as always. I'd take Cowher as DC, but never as head coach. Anyone who thinks Cordell Stewart is the answer to any problem should never be allowed any sort of control over an offense.

King_Chief_Fan
09-18-2000, 10:55 AM
Ok, if Marty takes a HC job is he still under contract? Does the signing team still have to arrange compensation with us?

Personally I'd hope Marty goes to an NFC team. His style is best suited there and he'd do the least damage to us in the regular season.

wutamess
09-18-2000, 10:56 AM
If Marty S becoming HC relieves us of Kurt S, then I am all for it. I’d like to see Gunther at DC, but I could live with Cowher at that position.

xoxo~
gaz
counting on Marty to hook a brother up.<BR>

gh4chiefs
09-18-2000, 11:01 AM
I'm sure Gunther has way too much pride to ever accept that demotion. IMO, he should have never been picked as head coach (I WANTED CAPERS!), but maybe things are finally starting to fall into place.

Of course (and I can't believe I'm saying this), if the D continues to play at this level, do we at some point reevaluate our whale-sh!t opinion of Kurt?

------------------
Frazod

Have I ever mentioned that I hate Denver?

Luzap
09-18-2000, 11:04 AM
HC,

I'm aware of the dynamics of Pissburg's FA losses. Cowher shouldn't should all of that blame but he does deserve some, IMHO.

Guys, I don't think Marty is under contract after this season. We won't see any compensation for him....

BroncoFan
09-18-2000, 11:06 AM
Bob Dole thinks Marty is an excellent coach that can make a sub-par team good. Bob Dole also thinks that's as far as it goes. Marty cannot get past "good" and step up to the next level.

mikey23545
09-18-2000, 11:50 AM
Dole,

That's the EXACT description of Carl Peterson.