View Full Version : ESPN Power Rankings.......
09-27-2000, 09:30 AM
Here's the latest ESPN Power Rankings. Raiders seem ranked a bit low for my liking, but the comments are interesting:
4. Raiders: Hangover from Broncos loss lasted all of one drive against Browns.
12. Chiefs: And to think Gunther Cunningham was contemplating retirement after Week 1 loss.
13. Broncos: Season could be lost if Griese has shoulder surgery.
17. Seahawks: Hasn't been pretty but 'Hawks have won two in a row.
29. Chargers: Harbaugh would probably be happier if Leaf and Moreno were healthy. <BR>
09-27-2000, 09:33 AM
That just seems odd. The Donx beat the Raiders at home and the Raiders are ranked higher. The Chiefs beat the Donx and the Chiefs are ranked higher, some things I just don't get.
But hey, at least we finally got ranked higher then the Donx in one of these stupid things.
[This message has been edited by morphius (edited 09-27-2000).]
09-27-2000, 09:38 AM
Let's see, how does it go...
"Polls are meaningless and I like it when the Broncos are underestimated by the media."
I think they take in a lot of other factors in to consideration. Pts/game, yrds/game, and so on. I am sure we will see these rankings stretch and bend quite a bit until close to the end of the season when they can be more conclusive and accurate. There is really no way of nailing a teams effectiveness in 4 games. It's next to impossible.
09-27-2000, 09:42 AM
Brad - I guess all the press that keeps talking about thm being SB contenders are underestimating them?
09-27-2000, 09:42 AM
This doesn't surprise me in the least. Reporters and magazines usually give the Raiders their annual tongue bath in the pre-season and early season (whether it is deserved or not). If the polls meant something it would upset me. Fortunately, this is not college football, and we have the playoffs to decide the final outcome.
09-27-2000, 09:59 AM
I think the pundits tend to pick their SB favs before the season and then move their Power Rankings according to how well a team does against those favs. Later in the season, they rank 'em according to who is really winning games instead of a pre-season guess. Before the season, pundits were slobbering over Indy, St. Louis, and the Titans. That and the W-L record may be why we see the AFC West ranked this way.
Indy @ KC - loss
Donks @ Rams - loss
KC @ Tenn - loss
OAK @ Indy - win
Rams @ SEA - loss
09-27-2000, 10:12 AM
Den@ Oak (Loss Oak)
KC@ Den (Loss Den)
Oak@ KC ???
This is the point. In early season teams are finding themselves and tend to lose games they should win and win games they should lose. I don't think Power Rankings and, "you lost to them, we beat them so we can beat you" mean anything until the end of the season when play-off spots are decided.
Sparks some discussion though so it's not all that bad.
09-27-2000, 10:42 AM
Here's the CBS Power Rankings. KC also gets a nice word in the Drunkel Index, rates you guys way above Seattle. Predicts big games for Denver and KC this week.
4. Oakland Raiders: They were surgically precise in chopping up the outmanned Brownies and get a bye week as a reward. Some guys will nurse injuries and wide receiver Andre Rison will spend the week off addressing legal issues.
9. Denver Broncos: What, lose two consecutive at Mile High Stadium, especially with this game against a winless New England team? No way. What the angry Broncos perpetrate on their foes this week might be downright unpatriotic.
16. Kansas City Chiefs: Wow, three weeks ago coach Gunther Cunningham almost quit on his team. Good thing they didn't quit on themselves. If they can beat Seattle this week, the Chiefs are back over .500 and may be ready to make a run behind all those rookies.
17. Seattle Seahawks: When his job security was threatened, quarterback Jon Kitna rose to the occasion and has played three pretty solid games in a row. He'll need to make it four for the Seahawks to have a chance against resurgent Kansas City.
30. San Diego Chargers: The veteran Jim Harbaugh becomes team's third different starter in three weeks. Uh, suffice it to say no one wearing a lightning bolt on his helmet will threaten Brett Favre's record for consecutive starts, huh?
09-27-2000, 12:23 PM
Ridiculous!!!! Plum ridiculous. KC should move up, but the Radiers 9 spots ahead of Denver...because they crushed Cleveland?
ESPN's Power Rankings are no longer remotely credible in my book.
09-27-2000, 12:56 PM
The Massey ratings http://www.mratings.com are done by a computer program and take into account who-beat-who-by-how-much. Because the method is determined before the teams are rated, they are free from the bias that you often see in the media polls. They still suffer from the fact that teams are inconsistent at the beginning of the season. This is evidenced by several teams rankings jumping or dropping 6 to 8 spots based on the outcome of last weeks games. Things should settle down in 2 to 4 weeks. Currently, they rank Oak 7th, Denver 8th, KC 12th, Seattle 17th, and SD 30th. I think 7th is a much more realistic ranking for Oakland than 4th.
09-27-2000, 05:23 PM
The only thing ridiculous thing is that ANYONE could rank media-darling Denver above Kansas City when these teams have the same record and we beat them in their own house. Perhaps they took the light schedule and the light air into consideration. What a joke.
Have I ever mentioned that I hate Denver?
09-27-2000, 06:44 PM
The FoxSports power rankings show the Raiders as #8, Chiefs as #16...
Here's the list...
5. Ravens http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif
7. Vikings http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif
12. Lions http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif
14. Broncos http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif
09-27-2000, 06:46 PM
Plus, I don't think the Rams are that strong. Their defense is like swiss cheese. But their offense is almost unstoppable...
I am starting the think the Chiefs have a chance against these guys...<BR>
09-28-2000, 07:36 AM
I know this is off the topic, but I don't want to start a new thread. Will the Chiefs D kill the Seahawks on MNF? I'm deciding between the Chiefs D, and the Ravens @ Cleveland. Any ideas?
09-28-2000, 07:57 AM
Maybe they watched the game, frazod.
vBulletin® v3.8.8, Copyright ©2000-2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.