PDA

View Full Version : Nice use of censorship, Moderators

Bwana
09-07-2000, 10:12 AM
I agree, let's keep BroncoFans beligerent posts up, and tear all of my horrible comments down.

Very Interesting, very weak.

Gracie Dean
09-07-2000, 10:21 AM
It's hard to be a moderator and maintain fairness, Chitown. Even more difficult is to "censor" those people that you respect & enjoy bantering with. However, we do have to be consistent and that's one thing I think we've been successful in doing. I think Broncofan's topic is inflamatory as well but it is not abusive nor does he call anyone names. Sorry but I hope you understand.

Bwana
09-07-2000, 10:44 AM
Phil - no sweat.

I'll just keep my name-calling under my keyboard.

Bwana
09-07-2000, 10:46 AM
Phil - no sweat.

I'll just keep my name-calling under my keyboard.

morphius
09-07-2000, 10:51 AM
I thought that there would be no censoring, even if a post is personally insulting someone.

Censorship on KC.COM is the very thing that caused this BB to become a success in the first place.

Let those who are insulted defend themselves. IMO, even the most vile, disgusting posts should not be deleted.

------------------
This is my signature!! There are many like it but this one is mine!!

Gracie Dean
09-07-2000, 10:55 AM
I'm operating under some assumptions for what a moderator is supposed to do. I think insults are tolerable as long as they remain tasteful. I assumed blatant disrespect and namecalling was across the line and I've removed every post I've seen containing those thus far. I'll take whichever direction I'm asked to. Kyle?

morphius
09-07-2000, 10:57 AM
I get what you're saying, but just like in the real world, a little censorship tends to become a lot of censorship.

------------------
This is my signature!! There are many like it but this one is mine!!

shakesthecat
09-07-2000, 11:01 AM
Unless someone is spamming I'd rather see the nasty posts stay too. If somone crosses the line leave it up for all to see. Chances are the BB community will police itself by admonishing the party for going too far. I've seen things handled that way on other boards and it works well.

milkman
09-07-2000, 12:42 PM
Kloster - Your analysis seems about right to me.

Clint - The problem is that tend to get out of hand and then this becomes a BB that is nothing more then a place to talk smack and insult one another. That is where football talk ends and we end up like many other BB's with tons of trolls here for a good fight.

chief mohawk
09-07-2000, 01:25 PM
KPhobia wrote, "I think insults are tolerable as long as they remain tasteful. I assumed blatant disrespect and namecalling was across the line and I've removed every post I've seen containing those thus far."

From KCBB, written bye KPhobia, "What's the problem, Brad? Do you have a bed-wetting problem as well?"

What a joke! I would call this tasteless and blatant disrespect and namecalling, but I guess it's ok if you are one of the "GOds" of the Planet.

I nice "tasteful post from your moderator"

And no, I'm not Brad

[This message has been edited by F. Gump (edited 09-07-2000).]

chief mohawk
09-07-2000, 01:33 PM
The 2 posts before the name calling started.

BRAD CAUDLE (BRAD_CAUDLE), 09/06/00 02:39 pm (reply 14 of 19)
I'm sure that's the problem. Who cares?

I really don't care if Gunther's had his bladder removed and drips through a sack. He's not playing, he's coaching. And your attempts at halarity are simply reflecting the person behind the post...

Phillip Kloster (KPhobia), 09/06/00 01:56 pm (reply 13 of 19)
My mother is friends with the mother of Gunther's maid. Gunther has a bed-wetting problem. That's the catalyst behind his 2-3 hours of sleep per night. He doesn't wish to soil the sheets. If you look closely, you can see the Depends under Gun's pants on Sundays. <BR>

morphius
09-07-2000, 01:39 PM
From KCBB, written bye KPhobia, "What's the problem, Brad? Do you have a bed-wetting problem as well?"

I find this to be incredibly mild...the kind of insult one might hear on Nickelodeon.

When I think of insults that should be censored, I think of statements like (these are directed at nobody in particular, they are just examples):

Your mother is a wh*re.
You are a load that should've been swallowed.
Eat the peanuts out of my sh!t.
I think necrophilia is cool...why don't you kill yourself so that I might fu*k your corpse?

THOSE are the kind of replies that deserve to be deleted. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/wink.gif<P>

chief mohawk
09-07-2000, 01:46 PM
And what is tasteful to you, might not be to another....Who decides? If you are a moderator, you shouldn't be able to post! <P>

milkman
09-07-2000, 01:54 PM
Gump - That was the weakest comment I have heard in a while.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR>If you are a moderator, you shouldn't be able to post!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The idea of the moderator is that they are a member of the BB that are members of the BB, and not some person hiding in the background that do what they feel like whenever. There are also other moderators to delete his posts if he does something out of hand.

[This message has been edited by morphius (edited 09-07-2000).]

DoktorSmith
09-07-2000, 01:55 PM
Personally, I like the fact that the moderators are citizens of the BB.

xoxo~
gaz
a democratic kind of guy.<BR>

Gracie Dean
09-07-2000, 01:58 PM
How about this for tastefulness, Gump?

Why don't you grow a sack and post under your own name? It's clear you have a problem with this board & it's moderators in particular. If you don't like - don't visit this board. It's quite simple, really!

I'm a moderator because I spend a vast amount of time out here. That gives me the opportunity to fight trolls like yourself. I hardly have a power-trip or anything of the kind. I would have no problem not being a moderator at all. Your infatuation with this board & it's moderators borders on clinical.

[This message has been edited by KPhobia (edited 09-07-2000).]

chief mohawk
09-07-2000, 02:05 PM
OK Jeff, it's weak, but would some one please answer my question, Who decides what is tasteful or not?

You have a monderator that says "I think insults are tolerable as long as they remain tasteful. I assumed blatant disrespect and namecalling was across the line and I've removed every post I've seen containing those thus far"

But then posts some tasteless name calling on KCBB, looks like a double standard to me.

redshirt32
09-07-2000, 02:07 PM
Insults don't bother me. Smack doesn't bother me. Blatant obscenities with no real purpose other than to shock and cause trouble are the only reasons I could think of removing a post.<BR>

chief mohawk
09-07-2000, 02:09 PM
KPhobia, I would have stayed away, have not posted here for a long time, but if you are going to come to KCBB and bash people, then try and be all high and mighty over hear, I will call you on it.

Make you a deal, stay off KCBB, and I will stay away from the Planet

Bwana
09-07-2000, 02:10 PM
This has to do with my original post which read "BroncoFan is a moron". Pretty tame remark, but if it's a policy, it's a policy. I've heard people called nimrods, jerks, losers (even BroncoFans posts call Chiefs Fans loser's),etc. I would have to assume that fits the category for getting a topic pulled. But, whatever.

I stick by my comment that BroncoFan is a belligerent SOB looking to pick cowardly verbal fights. But, what do you expect, Guy's with no sack usually get brave when they are behind a computer. <BR>

Bwana
09-07-2000, 02:15 PM
This has to do with my original post which read "BroncoFan is a moron". Pretty tame remark, but if it's a policy, it's a policy. I've heard people called nimrods, jerks, losers (even BroncoFans posts call Chiefs Fans loser's),etc. I would have to assume that fits the category for getting a topic pulled. But, whatever.

I stick by my comment that BroncoFan is a belligerent SOB looking to pick cowardly verbal fights. But, what do you expect, Guy's with no sack usually get brave when they are behind a computer. <BR>

JOhn
09-07-2000, 02:15 PM
I've got a feeling that if one of the moderators start abusing the priveledge the general outcry will be huge.

When I was asked to moderate, I was not asked to take a vote everytime I saw something questionable. I was asked to use my own judgement.

Until such time as sufficient numbers of others don't like my judgement and I am removed, that is what I will do.

That is also what I would expect every moderator to do.

Luz
it seems to me that we have a great bb...

milkman
09-07-2000, 02:16 PM
Gump - The admins and moderators decide, and the admin is trying to make us happy as he can so they set the policies, but with complaints they would probably adjust policy.

Chitown - I know this sounds odd, but I think it is a little worse to have a thread dedicated that someone is a moron, then to call them one in the battle of conversation. Of course a well placed http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif can do wonders.

redshirt32
09-07-2000, 02:18 PM
I just don't wanna see that everytime someone uses a "naughty" word that the posts disappear...

Remember, look at the context!

Squiggles should definitely be banned!

http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/eek.gif

Gracie Dean
09-07-2000, 02:23 PM
Gump,

I'm not going to ask you to stay away from here. I would expect the same treatment in return. I'll post anywhere I want. You don't have to like it but you will have to deal with it.

I just won't bother wasting my time responding to your senseless posts questioning my judgement. If that thing you cut & pasted over here is the worst quote you could find from me then you aren't looking hard enought. From now on when you come over here to seek out trouble with any of the moderators, I will construe that as a personal attack and your post could be removed. Talk football or anything else out here, nobody cares. Just don't waste your time attacking the moderators. I'm tired of this sillyness!

chief mohawk
09-07-2000, 02:44 PM
You just showed your true colors by deleting my last post KPhobia.....

redshirt32
09-07-2000, 02:52 PM
F.Gump (or roger?) why don't you just rephrase your last post so we all know what you claim was deleted... ???????

Bwana
09-07-2000, 02:55 PM
Morph - #22

Not if it's true. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

chief mohawk
09-07-2000, 02:55 PM
Ask KPhobia, if I repost it, he will just delete it again.... He already said so in his last post...

ps, not Roger either.

[This message has been edited by F. Gump (edited 09-07-2000).]

spe725
09-07-2000, 02:56 PM
You moderators are so inconsistent! You are going to censor a post and then turn around and make a personal attack against someone. I agree that what makes this board great is people like BroncoFan being able to say what they to who they want. Then we can let little whiners like ChiTown talk tough. I like the format. I think the only acceptable occasion for censoring would be the use of foul language (and maybe not even then). I'm surprised you guys had the courage to put up his responses.

Why don't you guys just let us do our thing? We can deal with people like ChiTown and BroncoFan. Come back, AustinChief. Can't we make this board our own? If people don't like certain comments, then for Pete's sake, defend yourself or better yet...just ignore the damn thing.

Whiners, whiners, whiners!!!

Gracie Dean
09-07-2000, 03:01 PM
Dog Day,

There is little to NO censoring happening on this board. Besides trolls, I think Chitown's post was the second I have removed. I'm not certain the other moderators have removed any. This is all being blown out of proportion.

Gump - WTF are you talking about? If I had removed a post from you there would be a gap in the #ing system. I'll show you how that works right after I post this. You must be having trouble with your 'puter....

Gracie Dean
09-07-2000, 03:02 PM
I'm getting ready to remove #31 - this post should be #32 and will remain #32. 31 will be gone forever.

redshirt32
09-07-2000, 03:02 PM
AustinChief is missing?!
When and where was he last seen?!

http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/eek.gif

Gracie Dean
09-07-2000, 03:03 PM
He isn't missing. He's been on this board all day. He probably doesn't want to get involved in this piddly "debate". I can't say I blame him.

[This message has been edited by KPhobia (edited 09-07-2000).]

milkman
09-07-2000, 03:03 PM
Chitown - Yes, but in the world today sometimes speaking the obvious truth is not the best thing to do, trust me I don't disagree with the comment, just like a BB to be a fun place for all to be.

Gracie Dean
09-07-2000, 03:06 PM
Chitown,

I think I agree with Morph. I probably wouldn't have been inclined to remove that (in hindsight) if it were just a response in an existing topic. Creating a topic just to call someone a moron went over the line as I see it.

Bwana
09-07-2000, 03:07 PM
DogDay -

EXCUSE ME!

"Deal with Guys like BroncoFan and ChiTown". Do me a favor, don't link me in with BroncoFan, OK. I don't need to be dealt with either. Know your subject matter befor you print something about me next time. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/mad.gif

You calling me a whiner really hurts, as I have never seen you even post before. Do you even know what the hell you are talking about?

redshirt32
09-07-2000, 03:08 PM
As Dilbert says, "We're ALL IDIOTS!!!!!"

http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

Bwana
09-07-2000, 03:15 PM
Phil/Morph - this thread is way out of control. You had the right to delete the thread. I have said no sweat, and got no problem with your authorities to do so.

But, this d-bag calling me a whiner, give me a break. Just another misinformed poster I guess.

spe725
09-07-2000, 03:20 PM
I know a whiner when I see one. I was just giving my opinion. You think you can nag and whine enough to get what you want. You were the one complaining about BroncoFan saying "It's not fair! BroncoFan get to post mean things and I don't". I was just letting the mods know that I think we can deal with people like you and BroncoFan. We are arguing the same points, I'm just not crying about it.

Gracie Dean
09-07-2000, 03:22 PM
I'm through with this thread. Dog - Gump, enjoy yourselves. I can't believe I stuck around to defend myself as long as I have. I must be an idiot.

Bwana
09-07-2000, 03:26 PM
You are right BroncoFan. We are arguing the same points. We are both arguing, what a joke you are.

AustinChief
09-07-2000, 03:30 PM
I am flattered that I am the focus of such a heated discussion. I haven't even seen this thread till just now. I just thought I would jump in to let all of you know that as long as KC blows, I will be here keeping up the good work!

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
09-07-2000, 03:34 PM
Bob Dole could just fart. That usually clears the room.

spe725
09-07-2000, 03:35 PM
ChiTown,

Thanks for referring to my post and targeting BroncoFan. BroncoFan is the joke, huh? Well, lets see...Maybe you got that backwards too.

ROBHONDA
09-07-2000, 03:35 PM
mr. dole...i've had that problem myself. i try to hang around people w/colds, hayfever, etc.
sec

Gracie Dean
09-07-2000, 03:38 PM
Hey DogDay/BroncoFan.

Did you forget that we log IP addresses here? I'm onto you. xxx.xxx.xxx.140 & xxx.xxx.xxx.131

Gracie Dean
09-07-2000, 03:39 PM
Stop trying to stir up trouble by posting as two different people BroncoFan. Consider this your first & last warning!!!

spe725
09-07-2000, 03:42 PM
I'm going to nice now.

Honestly though, I think should we should keep every single post unless it is completely off-base and vulgar. BrocoFan, ChiTown, Gump...keep up the good work. We've gotten off the subject but it's good to have the mods assurance that posts will continue to appear regardless of their content (within reason).

At the very least, it makes things more interesting, right?

spe725
09-07-2000, 03:44 PM
KPhobia,

I assure you that BroncoFan and I are different people. AustinChief, BroncoFan, are all on the same network. There is no funny business going on.

------------------
--=&lt; It's a Dog Day --=&gt;

Gracie Dean
09-07-2000, 03:45 PM
Oh, so you are one of Kyle's buddies. He told us to ignore you. Guess I'll have to take his advice. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

Bwana
09-07-2000, 03:46 PM
Backstroke. DD/BF - you do it well. Should I call you Cybil?

Bwana
09-07-2000, 03:53 PM
Backstroke. DD/BF - you do it well. Should I call you Cybil?

spe725
09-07-2000, 03:53 PM
Ignore me all you want, KPhobia. I would actually prefer it.

[This message has been edited by Dog Day (edited 09-07-2000).]

AustinChief
09-07-2000, 04:29 PM
KPhobia,

If you think I would hop between computers just have someone support my opinions and protect me from your ridicule you are flattering yourself.

In fact, even with the way I spell, it is pretty easy for me to defend myself from your razor sharp jabs and superior intellect.

Seriously, you should chill a little bit on this Moderator thing. You come off like a power monger with all of your "my duty to censor" and "we know your ip address" and your "troll patrol" crap!

I know you were probably proud of yourself (comparing the ip numbers and all) but I am not the same person as Dog Day, you cyber-sleuth you. What possessed you to think that after taking heat on this board for this long, that I would need to create an additional identity to help myself out.

You started this whole thread by censoring someone else. Go ahead, call this childish but you made it happen. I have not seen anyone really abuse this board at all and was having a great time making fun of chief fans without you keeping everything SAFE FOR THE REST OF US! A moderator is important, just use your priveledge when nessesary.

AustinChief
09-07-2000, 04:45 PM
KPhobia,
I would suggest ignoring anyone coming from the same network as me...seeing how I'm the ONLY Chiefs fan here.

BTW ... I agree this ENTIRE thread is blown way out of proportion. 2 (count 'em) 2 deletions have occurred since this BBS started. We are still growing...so it stands to reason that these issues wil come up. This has been a good way to find out everyone's opinions on the matter... but I think everyone needs to keep a certain amount of perspective.

If problems like this occur ... it isn't out of malice , no one is out to get anyone...if you have a problem with a moderator's judgement... then simply discuss it... everyone on this BBS is reasonable enough to have an intelligent conversation.

Just my opinion...but this is a democratic BBS and no one has lost site of that.

--AustinChief

spe725
09-07-2000, 05:07 PM
By ignoring us, AustinChief is saying that you (KPhobia) will (under no circumstances) delete or modify one of our posts. We are untouchables.

Isn't that right, AustinChief?

You tell 'em!

Seriously--

Although, we may not all be inbred-red, we enjoy participating. I don't think this thread is out-of-control. I never saw the deleted posts, but I get the feeling that one of the moderators is a little power-happy. I may be wrong.

What am I saying? Of course I'm not wrong. Get with the program guys!<BR>

Gracie Dean
09-07-2000, 05:27 PM
FWIW, I do take my "moderator" title seriously but I'm NOT on a power trip. I probably DID get a little caught up when Chitown started saying that y'all were the same and when I checked the IP addy's it looked that way to me as well. Who wouldn't think that? Especially from a couple of trolls. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

If anybody (besides the trolls) think I'm on a power trip, I'll GLADLY relenquish my moderator "title". It's not like I gain anything by having it.... Believe me, I've had enough abuse over it.

Gracie Dean
09-07-2000, 05:33 PM
Another thought, if you guys saw our troll's antics on the other board, you wouldn't be so judgemental dropping the "cyber-slueth" and all the other crap I've absorbed. I'm CERTAIN we had a guy on there with 10-15 different ID's talking to himself.

Bob Dole
09-07-2000, 09:14 PM
This board is awesome, and lurkers, if you don't like it then don't come here.

Moderators, keep up the great work!!!

Pam

My real name!