PDA

View Full Version : So, after Week 2

CASHMAN
09-07-2000, 06:48 AM
It's pretty realistic that Denver will be 1-1 and KC will be 0-2. I know the division is weak, but does that frustrate any of you.

I'm just curious - I don't think that any of you have any real thoughts about KC winning a SuperBowl, but what would be a "successful" season for KC in your eyes.

For me, looking at Denver - I would like to see them win 10 games. I think the schedule will allow them a great chance to do it. A wildcard would be great for me. If they were to pull that off, then I'd like to see at least one playoff victory. Especially, for Griese and the young guys.

I don't expect any more than that, although I could see 9-7 happening and missing the playoffs. I honestly think their players are too good and the schedule is too favorable for 8-8 or below.

Your thoughts on KC?

CASHMAN
09-07-2000, 06:49 AM
That said ... I would like to see the AFC West Champ go into the playoffs and win a few games, despite who they are. I hope the teams play well and make the division respectable.

darkchief
09-07-2000, 06:52 AM
I'd be happy if we beat all of our divisional opponents at home & maybe a sweep of the Raiders.

CASHMAN
09-07-2000, 06:53 AM
It's funny how sweeping the Raiders always seems to put a smile on someone's face.

http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Yosef_Malkovitch
09-07-2000, 07:22 AM
I'd be happy with mere improvement at this point. Better gameplanning from our coaches would be nice. No more than 2 dropped balls per game would be a huge improvement over last week.

I'd be pleased with 9-7 and a shot at the wildcard. If we go 8-8 or worse, I hope that we go much worse so we can get a top 10 draft pick & better schedule next year but I don't see it happening.

Dr. Red
09-07-2000, 08:09 AM
I'm with Phil.

I would like to see improvement each week from players and coaches. There is not a winning season in our 2000 future, but we have the opportunity to get our young guys some NFL experience. Maybe, we can build on some of the successes we have with a few of the young guys and build a more promising base for the future.

That said, I would like to see 10-6 and playoffs, but if we can't muster that (and I'm sure we won't), I hope it's 4-12 and a top 10 pick starting with a QB. Sorry, but that's the only way we get the QB we need and get out of mediocrity.

Dr. Red
09-07-2000, 08:11 AM
I'm with Phil.

I would like to see improvement each week from players and coaches. There is not a winning season in our 2000 future, but we have the opportunity to get our young guys some NFL experience. Maybe, we can build on some of the successes we have with a few of the young guys and build a more promising base for the future.

That said, I would like to see 10-6 and playoffs, but if we can't muster that (and I'm sure we won't), I hope it's 4-12 and a top 10 pick starting with a QB. Sorry, but that's the only way we get the QB we need and get out of mediocrity.

The Blessed Virgin Larry
09-07-2000, 08:12 AM
IMO. no team from the West will get a Wild Card. It's the division championship or bust for all and Oakland and the Donx are in the drives seat. I've said all along that 9-7 will win the West again this year and I'm sticking to it. Injuries and the schedule will be a factor like always.

With regards to the Chiefs, I'd just like to see the Chief coaches actually gameplan and make adjustments. That would be HUGE. I'm still holding firm on my 6-10 prediction and 4th place in the West. My biggest fear is for the Chiefs to go 8-8, finish 2nd (again), Carl takes this as improvement and the the Stooges along with some - high priced underachievers are retained. The Chiefs need to really fall hard so all fingers will point where they need too, get a good pick in each round starting with a RUNNING BACK, hire new coordinators -especially an OC and if Gun is kept he needs to oversee the defense and keep his hands and philosophy AWAY from the offense. They have been foooling themselves too long and reality needs to hit Carl hard in the face to change course for the better.

alanm
09-07-2000, 11:36 AM
I want to see the younger players get some serious PT.

Thatís it. Sorry.

We are going nowhere with our current coaching staff. The Head Coach is too stubborn to make the changes needed to succeed. He retained [3] inept Coordinators, despite their failure. He refused to game plan last season and lost at least [3] games for us. He evaluated individual players in preseason and we played flat against Chicago last season and Indianapolis this season.

Our Defense continues to slip away from the aggressive, attacking Defense I love. We hang and strip instead of tackling. We have no pass rush and our blitz packages are predictable. We make no adjustments during that game and we still cannot defend the screen pass.

Our Offense is predictable and consistently fails to generate yardage when it counts, despite yapping about a more open game plan. Our awesome running game fell flat and we continue to excel only at ď3 & outs.Ē Our OC was a failure every time he had the job and continues that proud tradition in KC.

Our Special Teams improved from last season by virtue of kickoff depth only; coverage still stinks.

Until the Three Stooges are gone, this team will not improve substantially. And as much as I like Gunther as a person, I expect the Three Stooges will stay until he is gone. I am therefore hoping for a complete turnover in the coaching staff next season.

xoxo~
gaz
shooting the generals.<BR>

kcred
09-07-2000, 11:38 AM
MieHigh....

Just out of curiousity, who should any AFCWest team be conceding the Super Bowl appearance to? The concencus top contenders....

<LI>Indy?... Tenn had the bluprint to beating them last year... run the ball and pressure Manning up the gut.

<LI>Jags... all the talent, but can't stay healthy...

<LI>Titans...great Defense, but sorry I'm not impressed with McNair or their offensive schemes and coaching.. overated IMO...

All these teams are beatable, and none are dominating IMO... I'm not ready to concede the crown to anyone...

------------------

Momma said knock you out!!

[This message has been edited by hawaiianboy (edited 09-07-2000).]

Dr. Red
09-07-2000, 11:47 AM
Gaz -

You bring up a beautiful point about our current D. I can not watch another Dback try and strip the ball away from the runner, as the runner rambles for another 5-10 yds after the missed strip. Hit the damn runner, hard, and maybe the ball will fly out. Stop with the strip style tackling already, it's 0 for the last 100!

That seems to be a KS technique that is failing miserably. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/mad.gif

HawkeyeChief
09-07-2000, 12:25 PM
I would like to see the Chiefs go 0-4 to start. This would put Gunther and crew under enough fire that they will have to do something different. Like let the future stars start playing and learning now. Moreau, Morris and the young CB's can make this team awsome in another season or two. I have enough patience to wait for that.

redbrian
09-07-2000, 12:31 PM
IMO, the best thing that could happen to the Chiefs is a total meltdown. It's obvious that the necessary changes will not be made voluntarily. A 3 or 4 win season would surely, SURELY force Lamar to make some serious, wholesale changes.

As far as the rest of the division, who cares? The AFC West representative will just get smacked in the first round of the playoffs, anyway. Unless that team is Oakland or San Diego (perennial playoff outsiders), a first round playoff exit will do nothing for the team except for netting them a late first round pick and a difficult schedule next year.

------------------
This is my signature!! There are many like it but this one is mine!!

broncosrule
09-07-2000, 12:42 PM
Realistically I don't see the Chief 0-2 after this week. I think the Titans have a little better D than us and I think we have a little better O...Tight game but I expect to win...And I do expect the Donk's to win but if TD does not play this game is anything but a sure thing.

CASHMAN
09-07-2000, 12:55 PM
Hawaiinboy,

I don't see any team in the AFC West making it to the AFC Title game. Honestly, look at the other contending teams and by the end of the season, barring injuries ... Indy, Jags, Titans should be there ready to battle for the AFC crown.

I thought before last week that Oakland *might* have a shot, but the whole division has a lot to improve upon.

AustinChief
09-07-2000, 01:54 PM
Mile High Mania,

Your opinion must be based on last seasons performance, or the prediction of all the experts which have hyped the Colts, Titans, and Jags. If your opinion was based on how teams are playing this season (and I admit that it is to early to know for sure), you would have to say that after the pre-season, and week 1, that the best teams in the AFC are the bills, broncos, and colts. The next group would have to include the titans, ravens, and jags. Why hasn't anyone pointed out that the Broncos looked better in week 1 than any other AFC team (yes, better than even the Colts)

alanm
09-07-2000, 02:03 PM
BroncoFan-

You need to do two things before you start pimping your team as an AFC powerhouse:
1. show me that your O can move the ball like that against a Defense [any Defense will do].
2. show me that you HAVE a Defense [any Defense will do].

Accomplish those things and then come back for your kudos.

xoxo~
gaz
stingy.<BR>

CASHMAN
09-07-2000, 02:12 PM
Gaz, I think you'll notice that Denver will not play a team as explosive as the Rams for the rest of the year.

If the Rams are shut down by every other team, then you can say that Denver is paper thin on defense.

Your Chiefs will not perform much better when they play the Rams.

Broncofan - I am quite an informed NFL fan, thanks.

AustinChief
09-07-2000, 02:17 PM
Gaz,

I forget, what was the Rams defensive rank last season?

How about every other defense that we played during the pre-season? Our O is as good as any in the league - except the Rams!

About the D - your right, our D doesn't look good, although I am willing to bet that no D will against the Rams. You will probably agree with me when I say that no other team in the NFL will score as many points on the broncos this season as the Rams did.

I am sorry that the Chiefs are playing so bad. I realize that it makes it hard for you to be optimistic, let alone proud, of your teams accomplishments. My team, on the other hand, is playing great! They are making it very easy to "pimp them out". I am willing to bet that if Chiefs mangage to win a game, or even play decent, that you might bring up how well your team is playing when I start making fun of KC's plight! Until then I will expect you to continue asking "Why does BroncoFan keep saying that the broncos are good, and that the Chiefs suck?"

AustinChief
09-07-2000, 02:20 PM
Mile High,

How do you feel about how the broncos have played?

alanm
09-07-2000, 02:26 PM
Mile High Mania-

I am [sadly] on record that the Broncos and Raiders are the favorites to take the AFC West.

I am not bashing the Broncos. I am pointing out that neither team played any Defense whatsoever. I am merely waiting until I see some signs of a Defense from your team before ranking them with the best of the NFL. If you belong there, I will give you the respect you deserve. You havenít earned it yet. Be patient, grasshopper, kudos are far sweeter when they are warranted.

Barring a sudden influx of brains in our coaching staff, I have to agree with you concerning the Rams at Arrowhead.

xoxo~
gaz
taking brain donations for his team.<BR>

alanm
09-07-2000, 02:33 PM
BroncoFan-

I forget, what was your record last season? If last yearís Ramís D is germane, so is your record. That is another example of seriously flawed reasoning on your part.

You did not look like a 6-10 team Monday night [although I did say all summer that the Broncos were not as bad as their record would indicate]. And the Ramís did not look like a championship Defense, did they?

You donít know me very well. I give credit where it is due. When your team earns kudos, I will give them. And I make no excuses when my team plays badly. You hang around Broncos Homers too much if thatís how you expect fans to behave.

You really should know your audience before you try and analyze them.

xoxo~
gaz
just slightly offended.<BR>

Mark M [BornChiefs]
09-07-2000, 02:42 PM
My cup is half full.

I actually have a good feeling about this weekend. The Titan's didn't exactly look un beatable against Buffalo...I'm thinking 1-1 after week 2.

No team in the AFC west puts a feeling of being the "iron curtin"..although the Raiders did score a whopping 9 points against the mighty chargers....

I don't think Denver sucks, but I'm currious to see their O play against a defense that doesn't expect its offense to score 40pts.

AustinChief
09-07-2000, 02:50 PM
Guys, I can't believe some of the things I've read... We are looking at quantum differences between the Cheifs vs. the Titans, Colts, Rams, and now, Broncos.

They have one very important facet which we lack: COACHING!

That, and that alone, gives us a very good chance to go 0-5 for the first time in Chiefs history...

And maybe that result itself might be the catalyst for change... LarryMoeCurly gotta go!

CASHMAN
09-07-2000, 03:50 PM
Gaz, don't misunderstand me...
Denver needs a lot of work, but I think it's a bit early to say their defense is filled with the likes of high schoolers for letting the Rams go wild.

With the Rams, that will happen more often than not.

Broncofan,
I post here often - so, go through the archives and you can get a feel for my thoughts on Denver.

Nutshell- is Denver poised for a SuperBowl run? No. Is Denver looking a LOT better than last year? Yes. Does the RB situation scare me? Partially. Do I think Griese and the offense can get the job done and win 10 games this year? Yes. Can I say the same for the defense? I'm holding off on that one for a few weeks.

alanm
09-08-2000, 06:30 AM
Yeah, the Ramsí speed is going to make a lot of Defenses look weak. Tampa and the Titans showed everyone how to slow them down, but it seems few teams can get that kind of pressure on Warner. After our performance against Manning, I am very concerned about our pass rush getting to Warner.

I just think it is premature to place the Broncos among the AFC elite after one game where both teams romped up and down the field virtually unopposed. If the Broncos can move the ball like that against a team that plays some D, then I will be truly impressed and will acknowledge it on this very BB. Until then, claims that the Broncos are better than the Titans, Ravens and Jaguars is simply more overzealous hyperbole. Slightly more overzealous than most, IMO.

Still, that must have been a great game for a Broncos fan. No one expected you to do diddly and you staged a shootout with the hot Offense du jour on their own turf. Congratulations for a great game.

Further accolades to follow as circumstances warrant.

xoxo~
gaz
trying desperately to be gracious to the enemy.<BR>

CASHMAN
09-08-2000, 08:16 AM
Nice post, Gaz. I'm not placing them among the AFC elite just yet... but, I do believe they're looking like the team to beat out of the West. We'll soon find out if that really means anything or if the division is as weak as it was last season.

I think it would be interesting to see KC defeat the Titans, though. I'm not sure if any team in the West plays another division team this week, but I hope all the teams win and start making the division look a li'l tougher.

GO BRONCOS!