PDA

View Full Version : Fred Edelstein: Telling the truth or full of ****?

Clint in Wichita
09-15-2000, 12:33 AM
From Sportswaves.com

"Elvis Grbac still has the iron-clad support of Chiefs management. But not his teammates. According to our Chief player sources, Grbac has lost the offense in the wake of the team's opening day home loss to the Colts. These sources say Grbac's modest stats were tolerable when the team was winning. But when the Chiefs are losing, skimpy passing yardage becomes an issue with the players, who are getting to the point where they're ready to see Warren Moon get a shot."
Fred Edelstein, Fred Edelstein's newsletter
GH: Edelstein is a respected NFL insider. Read on for of what Fred is getting from his Chiefs' sources..

"While the players might like to see a change, Gunther Cunningham and GM Carl Peterson remain strongly in Grbac's corner. If anything, they get their backs up when Grbac is criticized by the media and fans."

"We're told minor injuries that keep Grbac from getting reps in practice are also an issue with the players. Perhaps if Grbac were a fiery leader, things would be different. 'But he's a shy guy who's not a helmet-banger,' said one player source this week."

Clint in Wichita
09-15-2000, 12:33 AM
Sportswaves calls him a "respected NFL Insider" but I used to get his newsletter and 3/4 of it was all BS. And I find it extremely hard to believe teammates are going to get pissed at him for having "modest" stats when they were the ones who were dropping balls left and right and prevented him from having a big game. But hey, if these "teammates" are as dumb as this makes them seem, I guess we've got ourselves a problem. Frankly I think everyone else should be more worried about taking care of their jobs and Elvis will take care of his...

CHIEFCOW
09-15-2000, 02:00 AM
Yeah, I agree with Wolf. I'd love to blame our winless start on Elvis, but he's been more than adequate in our 2 losses. IMO it's the playcalling that is our biggest shortcoming.

DoubleWannaB
09-15-2000, 08:01 AM
Thats the stupidest thing I have ever heard. How can his team mates blame him for losing to Indy when THEY dropped the ball??? Yeah, that will tend to make your yardage look short when the completions aren't made because the recievers have BUTTERFINGERS!!! Give me a break... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by bishop_74 (edited 09-15-2000).]

morphius
09-15-2000, 08:08 AM
I agree that drops were crucial in the Indy game, but the biggest play of the game was Grbac's interception, even if his arm was hit...put the ball away and hit the deck, Elvis! Until the INT KC was within 3 pts.

If Edelstein is wrong, this is a non-issue. If his report is accurate, I'd side with the rest of the Chiefs offense as opposed to one guy that won't be in KC next year, anyway.

------------------
This is my signature!! There are many like it but this one is mine!!

Woodrow
09-15-2000, 08:15 AM
I just watched "The Replacements", there was a comment in the movie that really fits with the Elvis situation, more or less it goes: A winner wants the ball.

I don't think Elvis wants the ball, let the defense take it and win.

If you were to vote whether Elvis had your confidence as a QB, how would you vote?

------------------
Remember Joe Delaney?
Some of us do and are acting on our belief that he was a hero.
This is a bandwagon that all are invited to jump on!!!

37 Forever

DoubleWannaB
09-15-2000, 08:30 AM
You all have to take in account a margin for error. His happened to be at the wrong time (unfortunately). Even Elway made mistakes like that that cost him games. Yeah, I watched that game too. The one interception to 6 dropped passes leads me to believe that it is more the recievers fault. That is a 1/6 ratio. And if you are going to throw the fact that the interception was run back for a touchdown...don't, because at LEAST 2 of the passes were dropped for touchdowns...

[This message has been edited by bishop_74 (edited 09-15-2000).]

DoubleWannaB
09-15-2000, 08:31 AM
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Elvis is God by any means, but he does have exactly what we need to have a winning season...

morphius
09-15-2000, 08:33 AM
If the Chiefs went 16-0 this year I'd still want Elvis gone, unless he went through some sort of metamorphasis and became a totally different QB. IMO he pulled '99 out of his arse...he was p!ssing in the wind and got lucky. The Chiefs might possibly win in spite of him, but they won't win BECAUSE of him.

------------------
This is my signature!! There are many like it but this one is mine!!

DoubleWannaB
09-15-2000, 08:34 AM
I'll agree with that. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

htismaqe
09-15-2000, 08:36 AM
Bishop...it was actually 8 drops. Makes your point look even more true.

------------------
~Duckaholic~
[i]Shoot 'em in the lips</I>

Quarterback
09-15-2000, 08:52 AM
Ah yes, the Grbitchers are awake!

Let's see in week one:

Manning threw an int. Bench him!
Aikman was 0-5 with an int. Retire the has been!
Culpepper had an int. Rookie 1st rnd bust!
Warner had 3 ints! Send him back to Cubs where he belongs!

If you throw the ball, ints happen. EG's didn't cost us the game. It didn't help, but it didn't lose the game. Crappy coaching and recievers who can't catch lost it. Grbitchers, get over it.

shakesthecat
09-15-2000, 09:05 AM
Speaking of taking the sack and not throwing the ball... did anyone notice him doing that against Tennessee? I sure did. He had the ball out, was about to throw when Kearse closed on him he tucked it in and took the sack. It was weird to be happy about your QB taking the sack but it was the right thing to do.

morphius
09-15-2000, 09:55 AM
Manning threw an int. Bench him! - Almost everyone agrees that Manning is one of the 2 or 3 the best QBs in the NFL.

Aikman was 0-5 with an int. Retire the has been! - He should retire...with his 4 rings...and wait for his hall-of-fame induction.

Culpepper had an int. Rookie 1st rnd bust! - He'll make mistakes (being a YOUNG QB), but he's already put up more positive numbers in 2 games than Grbac will in 4.

Warner had 3 ints! Send him back to Cubs where he belongs! - He had the 2nd best season for a QB ever in '99, and displayed tremendous heart and durability when Tennessee was hitting him after each snap, in the process of winning the SB.

Why doesn't Carl try and negotiate a straight-up trade...Grbac for any of the QBs you just mentioned? Not even Jerry Jones would trade his QB for EG, IMO.

[This message has been edited by Clint in Wichita (edited 09-15-2000).]

DaveC
09-15-2000, 10:03 AM
He is probably full of ****!

We need a new HC.

------------------
Nuc'em all and let those who remain sort them out!

Quarterback
09-15-2000, 10:24 AM
Clint, you simply prove my point. It doesn't matter what EG does the Grbitchers will always whine and talk about how every other QB is better. You'll always complain about how EG doesn't meet some goal you've set, then as soon as EG meets it you set a new goal.

Put Warner, or Aikman, or most any other QB in this system and see how their numbers plumet.

EG is a good QB and could take us far. Hopefully a new HC/OC will give him a system that will allow it. Of course the Grbitchers would only find something else to whine about.

Clint in Wichita
09-15-2000, 12:49 PM
Manning:
As Darrell Russell said, "The guy can't win the big games. He is a choke artist." And that was before he choked against Oakland.

Aikman:
Excellent Qb when he has the supporting cast, and deserves the hall based on accomplishments with that cast. But take away that great cast and give him an average one, and he is below average to mediocre. He was in the beginning of his career, when people thought Beurlein and Walsh were better and he is now.

Culpepper: He better be putting up good numbers. With the recievers and running back he has and an offensive coordinator who has won a ring, he should be putting up numbers. His turnovers almost prevented a victory last week. He would not be doing so well in our system.

Warner: I can't argue against Warner. He's been blessed with a great O and a great coordinator, but he does his job and until he proves otherwise, he is at the top right now.

I can't sit here and say I'd take Grbac over all these guys, but in the same right Grbac is not as bad as you make him out to be. All these guys would be having problems in this offensive system, which may be the worst in the league...

Gaz
09-15-2000, 12:56 PM
Clint,

How can you think he pulled the whole '99 season out of his arse? With this coaching staff and "system"? Surely he'd have to have some talent to put up those numbers with JR and Gun calling the plays. Now, this season he is pump-faking and actually looking off receivers. I know that these are things he's expected to do, but you have to give him some credit for a job well done last season, and these improvements he continues to make this season.

[This message has been edited by Cormac (edited 09-15-2000).]

WarPaint
09-16-2000, 05:56 PM
I remember when Edelstein was on NFL Gameday in it's early years. This guy, I honestly believe, just pulls crap out of his *** and throws it against the wall, and hopes it sticks. He started rumors just to start them. He might just get 1 thing out of a hundred. ESPN couldn't get rid of him fast enough.

------------------

Red Eyes
Chinn Up.

[b]The SitCom must die!!</B>