PDA

View Full Version : Kitna benched...

Buzzbait
10-04-2000, 05:12 PM
And I for one am very happy about it...

Situation: 3rd and 4 on the K.C. 40 2:00 minutes to go in the third quarter up by ten points, Kitna back to pass and throws a short pass behind the open receiver...4th down.

I could go on and on complaining about his bad throws, but I'll spare you.. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2000/1004/800108.html

[This message has been edited by Joe Seahawk (edited 10-04-2000).]

BIG_DADDY
10-04-2000, 05:50 PM
I think this will be a good move for the Seahawks. The team looks pretty good overall. The ground game gains yards.....a matter of time before the air game gets going.(IMO could upgrade recievers)

------------------
CHIEFS

Clint in Wichita
10-04-2000, 05:51 PM
Thus ends the reign of kINTa, at least for the time being. How did Huard look in the preseason?

Buzzbait
10-04-2000, 05:54 PM
Huard looked good in pre-season, but he really didn't any playing time with the #1 offense. Brock is smart and has a very strong arm, he just needs p-t.
Do you remember Jackson wide open at the end of the game and Kitna couldn't throw the ball far enough? That wont happen with Brock, he might not complete it , but at least he can get the ball to the guy.....Joe

KCWolfman
10-04-2000, 05:55 PM
Dang it, Joe.

Couldn't you guys have waited until after, say Week 9 to make this switch. C'mon, we'll be big Huard fans after that date... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Misplaced Chiefs Fan
Red and Gold on the Warpath
Nightwolf Graphics (http://www.nightwolfgraphics.com)

ColoradoChief
10-04-2000, 05:56 PM
I don't think you'll like it once you hear Gun's record against rookie QBs. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

SWEEP!

ColoradoChief
10-04-2000, 05:58 PM
Well, ALMOST rookie, anyway.

Buzzbait
10-04-2000, 06:02 PM
My evaluation of his physical tools has always been consistent. He has a great ability to throw the ball. For a big man, he's pretty active as far as his running. He just hasn't played very much. In no way is this to be construed as, `This is the grand experiment and we'll just see how this works and write off this season.' That's not what this is all about. This is about winning games. Monday night, while it was a great game, that was a tough loss. And I want to win games and do well this season. We'll see. I like Brock, and I've always liked his ability. He hasn't gotten a chance to play, so now we'll see.

Mike Holmgren..<BR>

Buzzbait
10-04-2000, 06:09 PM
Coach Holmgren talks about the benching of Kitna and the teams tough Monday night loss. In realaudio
http://playlist.broadcast.com/makeplaylist.asp?id=598652

BIG_DADDY
10-04-2000, 06:34 PM
Kitna benched.....and the top story on NFL tonight (ESPN)

------------------
CHIEFS

BIG_DADDY
10-04-2000, 06:38 PM
from NFL talk...

October 4, 5:13 p.m. EST

According to ESPN's John Clayton, Seattle head coach Mike Holmgren has benched starting quarterback Jon Kitna in favor of backup Brock Huard. Kitna, the 28th-rated quarterback in the NFL, is coming off yet another horrendous performance, under the bright lights of Monday Night football no less, in which he fumbled three snaps and threw an interception. Huard will be making the first start of his career after being a third-round pick out of Washington in 1999. If the "Great Kitna Experiment" has come to an end, this could be a dress rehearsal for Huard to solidify himself as the QB of the future or force Holmgren to trade up in next year's draft for his "West Coast Offense Love Child" Drew Brees

------------------
CHIEFS

milkman
10-04-2000, 08:27 PM
Joe - Congrats, I heard this on the radio a little earlier, unfortunitly I had to wait 2 hours while my laptop looked for bad sectors on the hard drive, ughhh!

Anyone else realize that Peyton Manning is the only QB who started against us who started the next week. Kind of interesting, but not really of much value.

Stuckinbama
10-04-2000, 11:50 PM
Joe,
I'll be honest here. While the game was going on, I was sure that Holmgren had Kitna on a very short leash. He went with short "safe" passes and a safe 3 step drop. However, when I saw his lack of arm strength on his last pass - I knew that there was a problem. What happened to his arm? I remember watching him in the Euro NFL a few years back and he was throwing 30 yard ropes - he also had no problem throwing it deep. Brock might be an upgrade but IMHO neither he or Kitna are in Holmgren's long term plans. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mr. Bledsoe there in the near future. SCARY!!!

Buzzbait
10-05-2000, 12:22 AM
KC-CHIEFS-FAN-TX, Good observations..

According to Holmgren Kitna put himself on a leash, Six of the deep balls Holmy called Monday night were never even attempted. Kitna was just afraid to let it go and either dumped it off or took the sack.
The guy is playing way too cautiously.

Now he is probably done, at least in Seattle. Ever since the Tampa Bay game last year Kitna has been tentative, he has'nt had a good game since.

I really think this is a good move, we need to see what Brock can do, I'm done waiting for Kitna...And apparently Holmy is too.....Joe

aaaaa
10-05-2000, 12:32 AM
Last year, Kitna was very poised in the pocket against us. He stepped right up into it on several plays and got off passes even with Chiefs near enough to breathe on him. This year, he was a lot less gutsy.

[This message has been edited by DanT (edited 10-05-2000).]

lmiller
10-05-2000, 12:37 AM
Seahawk,

Sounds like Holmgren is blaming Kitna for last Monday's loss to avoid the criticism of why the running game fell FLAT in the second half.

And what's with this calling of 6 deep patterns about? Are you telling me that Holmgren NEVER spoke to Kitna on the sidelines telling him that "Dawkins was open on that play and here's the photos from the booth. I'm going to call it again on the next series so watch for it."

Six times?

Holmgren went into an offensive shell with the 10 point lead (Chief fans know all about this!) and THEN expected a miracle when he needed Kitna to come through (Chief fans know all about these failures too!)

Holmgren needs to look himself in the mirror for this loss. Unfortunately they don't have back-up Head Coaches in the NFL when they have a poor game.

Buzzbait
10-05-2000, 12:43 AM
Injun,
Maybe you are right and Holmgren just lied his arse off during the press conference.. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

Also Holmgren will admit to his mistakes, see Miami game post game comments.

I really believe that Kitna is so afraid to make a mistake, that he is missing oppurtunities to make a big play..I supose you could say Holmgren is putting too much pressure on him, but Mike expects his players to perform well, if they dont, then they get replaced...Simple as that.

Also You dont really think Kitna's benching is solely based on the K.C. game do you?
He has the lowest rating in the league!
That MNF game was winnable if our QB performed even average.....Joe

[This message has been edited by Joe Seahawk (edited 10-05-2000).]

lmiller
10-05-2000, 12:55 AM
Seahawk,

Holmgren "lied his arse off" when he soft shoed the reasons for a QB switch.

And why is Kitna all of a sudden gun shy in the pocket? Who is responsible for that?

Holmgren's playcalling this year seems to display a conservatism not shown in year's past. Of course he had Brett Favre changing plays all the time so maybe he hasn't changed but the improvisational QB has.

How does Kitna regress after playing under Holmgren the past year? Seattle has the guns to control it on the ground so what has happened?

Why did the running game go FLAT in the second half? Methinks Holmgren should have used that opportunity to inject some play-action to resurrect Kitna's confidence while they had the lead.

Mike's fingerprints were at the crime scene with this loss...

Buzzbait
10-05-2000, 12:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR>Sounds like Holmgren is blaming Kitna for last Monday's loss to avoid the criticism of why the running game fell FLAT in the second half.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMO the Chiefs defensive coaches realized they needed to knock Kitna silly in the first half, that is why we were able to run so well.

In the second half the Chiefs "D" realized they had better slow our running game down.
This IMO is where Kitna should have been able to complete some passes. He missed many short passes that were critical. Even the controversial pass to Fauria was a lousy pass that Fauria had to dive for...FROM FIVE YARDS!

Alright I'm done ramblin..It just kills me to let that golden oppurtunity to get away!
Joe

[This message has been edited by Joe Seahawk (edited 10-05-2000).]

Buzzbait
10-05-2000, 12:58 AM
Injun, DUH...GEE uhhh duh maybe we should fire Holmgren and keep Kitna...DUH..

Lurker Brett
10-05-2000, 07:39 AM
Joe - This move does not come as any surprise to most of those who watch the NFL. You can pick any number of reasons, but it almost had to happen, and not just because of MNF. Holmgren, has to find out about Huard before the draft next year, with two #1s he can either trade for who he wants, or draft who he wants (Brees, I assume). And based upon Kitnas performance, it can't be a bad move, now, lets hope he give Huard the chance in the remaining 11 games.

morphius
10-05-2000, 09:04 AM
Why would Holmgren do this?

As if Huard is going to be any better! HAHAHA!

Kitna will probably be back on the field before the Seahawk's next game reaches halftime.

10-05-2000, 09:11 AM
Brock? Doesn't he play for the Raiduhs?

Oh, Brock HUARD, not Brock MIDDLEBROOK...

------------------
Parker
ChiefsPlanet Administrator
Jimmy Raye for President...anything to get him out of Kansas City
[i]More Moreau</I>

Scorpdork
10-05-2000, 09:54 AM
Joe,Alexander looks great.Are you glad the hawks beat us to him?

King_Chief_Fan
10-05-2000, 10:01 AM
Didn't Kitna turn down a Contract extension last year. Ooops.

Shootr
10-05-2000, 10:06 AM
I am not sure if he was really offered an extension last year. They just offered him the amount that was required by the NFLPA, I think.

------------------
bk

Buzzbait
10-05-2000, 10:26 AM
Red, Alexander is Awesome, he is just now starting to get some playing time and he looks great, also he forces Ricky to run his arse off to keep his job...

Iron chef, Kitna did indeed turn down a contract extension, he was at the time the top rated passer in the afc and the Hawks were 8-2... What the hell happened?

milkman
10-05-2000, 10:40 AM
I'll back up what Joe says, he was offered an extension in the middle of lsat year when the team was on its hot streak. Him and his agent probably figured he would be worth more if he was able to do well into the playoffs, talk about backfiring.