PDA

View Full Version : Log Cabin Republicans will not endorse Bush for re-election

Ugly Duck
09-08-2004, 05:22 PM
News Release
For Immediate Release
September 8, 2004

"Log Cabin's National Board has voted to withhold a Presidential endorsement and shift our financial and political resources to defeating the radical right..... The Log Cabin Board of Directors voted 22 to 2 not to endorse the President's re-election.

The vote by Log Cabin's 25 member national board marks the first time since the organization opened a national office in Washington, DC in 1993 that the organization has not endorsed the Republican nominee for President. Log Cabin endorsed Bob Dole in 1996 and George W. Bush in 2000. Exit polls confirmed that over 1,000,000 gays and lesbians voted for Bush/Cheney in the 2000 election, including nearly 50,000 in Florida alone.

"Some will accuse us of being disloyal. However, it was actually the White House who was disloyal to the 1,000,000 gay and lesbian Americans who supported him four years ago. Log Cabin's decision was made in response to the White House's strategic political decision to pursue a re-election strategy catered to the radical right.

"Last year, a dramatic and disappointing shift occurred rooted in Karl Rove's public acknowledgment that the 2004 re-election campaign would focus on turning out four million more evangelicals who he believed stayed home in 2000,"

http://www.logcabin.org/logcabin/notice-description.tcl?newsletter_id=934066

KCWolfman
09-08-2004, 05:24 PM
Gee, that will hurt in November.

Okay guys, chances are California will probably go Democrat - man didn't see that coming.

Baby Lee
09-08-2004, 05:32 PM
"Last year, a dramatic and disappointing shift occurred rooted in Karl Rove's public acknowledgment that the 2004 re-election campaign would focus on turning out four million more evangelicals who he believed stayed home in 2000,"
I'm no fan of how Bush has let the radicals run with this pretty banal issue, but this remark is equally distasteful. WTF is disappointing about getting a higher voter turnout?
This is the equivalent of a democrat special interest group that espoused fiscal restraint[:spock:] expressing dismay that a candidate was talking up entitlements to gin up the 'darkie' vote.

wazu
09-08-2004, 07:53 PM
I've never heard of the Log Cabin Republicans. Interesting name they have there.

Logical
09-08-2004, 08:38 PM
I've never heard of the Log Cabin Republicans. Interesting name they have there.

Is this the name for a splinter group of Gay Republicans?

P.S. this is an honest question I have never heard of this group.

Mr. Kotter
09-08-2004, 08:48 PM
Log Cabin Republicans will not endorse Bush for re-election

Really? :hmmm:

Well, that's teh ghey..... :rolleyes:

:p

Raiderhader
09-08-2004, 09:25 PM

I believe that is the official name of the group (and yes, they are gay Republicans). I remember Bush went and met with them in 2000 (I think he might have been the first Republican presidential cadidate to do so), that was the first time I had heard of them.

KCWolfman
09-08-2004, 09:28 PM

Splinter Gay/Log Cabin?

There are puns aplenty here

Logical
09-08-2004, 09:28 PM
Splinter Gay/Log Cabin?

There are puns aplenty hereROFL

KCWolfman
09-08-2004, 09:29 PM
ROFL
Can he push a stool up for you?

FringeNC
09-08-2004, 09:42 PM
I don't understand what they are so upset about. Bush didn't make this a campaign issue, Massachusetts did. Gay marriage would go down in defeat even in Mass. if it was left up to the voters.

Baby Lee
09-09-2004, 05:57 AM

It is a largely gay Republican special interest group. Formed in '78 to lobby Ronald Reagan to defeat some California pending legislation perceived to be anti-gay. Centers on the strong military, limited government, fiscal restraint, free trade, and of course, civil liberties foundations of the Reps.
Named Log Cabin Republicans in salute to Abraham Lincoln, for the express reason that he embodies their particular brand of Republicanism, and the implied reason that he was himself a fan of the man meat.

Cochise
09-09-2004, 06:20 AM
:spock:

Baby Lee
09-09-2004, 06:38 AM
:spock:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/040402.html
http://www.salon.com/books/it/1999/04/30/lincoln/

Mr. Kotter
09-09-2004, 06:50 AM
I don't understand what they are so upset about. Bush didn't make this a campaign issue, Massachusetts did. Gay marriage would go down in defeat even in Mass. if it was left up to the voters.

:thumb:

Thig Lyfe
09-09-2004, 06:53 AM
John Kerry is gay.... because he pays a lot of attention to poles... I mean polls! John Kerry is not gay!

NewChief
09-09-2004, 06:57 AM
FWIW, Andrew Sullivan is a Log Cabin Republican. I'm pretty sure that a lot of you cons know who he is.

I would be curious whether Sullivan will continue to endorse Bush, though. My guess would be that he will. BL, you follow Sullivan, I believe. What's his stance?

Mr. Kotter
09-09-2004, 06:58 AM
FWIW, Andrew Sullivan is a Log Cabin Republican. I'm pretty sure that a lot of you cons know who he is.

I would be curious whether Sullivan will continue to endorse Bush, though. My guess would be that he will. BL, you follow Sullivan, I believe. What's his stance?

Sullivan has said he won't support Bush....IIRC :hmmm:

Not that anyone really cares, mind you.... :)

Baby Lee
09-09-2004, 07:11 AM

Really hard to read right now. He'll praise him to the rafters, then d@mn him to hell. He's stated that the party plank about defining marriage was a deal-breaker for him, then he went on Bill Maher and gave a pretty eloquent case for the guy. Now he's pooping himself about some new reports about conditions in Iraq, so he's probably planning a Taco-esque maneuver to a full-flighted Kerry-lovin' Bush-basher.

Mr. Kotter
09-09-2004, 07:16 AM
....he's probably planning a Taco-esque maneuver to a full-flighted Kerry-lovin' Bush-basher.

You've got TJ figured out too, eh? :thumb:

ROFL

BigMeatballDave
09-09-2004, 09:12 AM
Can he push a stool up for you?OMG!
ROFL