PDA

View Full Version : Funny conversation at work about the assault weapons ban

Cochise
09-09-2004, 10:23 AM
I was just overhearing that the assault weapons ban ends tonight. Some folks at my office were talking about this.

I was surprised to learn that now, with the Clinton assault weapons ban expiring, it will be perfectly legal at midnight to purchase fully automatic weapons, complete with grenade launchers and silencers, and unlimited capacity magazines.

:spock:

NewChief
09-09-2004, 10:24 AM
Sweeeeet!

The Revolution starts at midnight!

VIVA LA REVOLUCION!!!

BigMeatballDave
09-09-2004, 10:26 AM
:bang: Whoo hoo! Time to stock up for deer hunting...

Raiderhader
09-09-2004, 10:34 AM
I was just overhearing that the assault weapons ban ends tonight. Some folks at my office were talking about this.

I was surprised to learn that now, with the Clinton assault weapons ban expiring, it will be perfectly legal at midnight to purchase fully automatic weapons, complete with grenade launchers and silencers, and unlimited capacity magazines.

:spock:

Your co-workers engage in hyperbole much?

KCTitus
09-09-2004, 10:36 AM
The dems decided to cave to the Trial lawyer lobby and gave up pressing for the continuation of the ban when the republicans submitted a ammendment to the bill that would exempt gun mfgrs from civil liability when someone decideds to sue the gun mfgr when someone kills someone with a gun.

Raiderhader
09-09-2004, 10:36 AM
I really have not heard any news the past couple of days; is there an attempt to extend the ban being put forth today?

KCTitus
09-09-2004, 10:38 AM
I really have not heard any news the past couple of days; is there an attempt to extend the ban being put forth today?

No it died a while back....you arent seriously expecting any media coverage on how the dems caved on this issue are you?

Michael Michigan
A midnight sale at Guns R Us?

Radar Chief
:bang: Whoo hoo! Time to stock up for deer hunting...

OH MY GAWD, ITíS COMING RIGHT FOR US!

Raiderhader
09-09-2004, 10:41 AM
No it died a while back....you arent seriously expecting any media coverage on how the dems caved on this issue are you?

I knew that effort had died, but I also knew that Bush said he would be in favor of extending it. So I thought there was a possibility something might occur on that end.

I need to find that thread where I told BD I had a bizarre gut feeling that said Bush just might let this slide.....

Cochise
09-09-2004, 10:43 AM
The effort by a few gun-grabbing liberals failed due to the rest of them being beholden, as someone else said, to the trial lawyers' lobby.

Lawsuits = good for lawyers.

KCTitus
09-09-2004, 10:46 AM
I knew that effort had died, but I also knew that Bush said he would be in favor of extending it. So I thought there was a possibility something might occur on that end.

I need to find that thread where I told BD I had a bizarre gut feeling that said Bush just might let this slide.....

Actually, and Im going from memory, but the Senate passed something, but the House didnt act or passed something totally different and it died in conference.

Nothing was sent to the President to my knowledge.

LVNHACK
09-09-2004, 10:50 AM
Outfugginstanding...........Just in time for my settlement money......

Cochise
09-09-2004, 10:51 AM
Outfugginstanding...........Just in time for my settlement money......

ROFL

LVNHACK
09-09-2004, 10:53 AM
:bang::bang::bang:

Raiderhader
09-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Actually, and Im going from memory, but the Senate passed something, but the House didnt act or passed something totally different and it died in conference.

Nothing was sent to the President to my knowledge.

I never really caught the drift of exactly how it died. I just thought that since Bush had come out in favor of extending the ban he might try to send legislation to congress to do so (it wouldn't seem likely being in the middle of a re-election campaign, but you never know). Or that there might have been a new effort put forth by congress...

Like I said, I've been a little out of touch the past few days, I had forgotten that the ban was set to expire tomorrow.

Braincase
09-09-2004, 11:01 AM
Cool. Let's look for prices...

KCTitus
09-09-2004, 11:11 AM
I never really caught the drift of exactly how it died. I just thought that since Bush had come out in favor of extending the ban he might try to send legislation to congress to do so (it wouldn't seem likely being in the middle of a re-election campaign, but you never know). Or that there might have been a new effort put forth by congress...

Like I said, I've been a little out of touch the past few days, I had forgotten that the ban was set to expire tomorrow.

I did some checking...and it's actually set to expire on 9/13.

Second, the republicans tried to introduce a bill that would limit the liability of gun manufacturers as a separate bill. The democrats introduced several ammendments -- the 'gun show' loop hole and a few others, including the re-instatement of the 1994 ban -- that essentially made the original bill swiss cheese.

The bill failed as ammended 90-8 with the authors even voting against it. Essentially killing any chances of the subject coming up again in this term.

Cochise
09-09-2004, 11:13 AM
The bill failed as ammended 90-8 with the authors even voting against it.

Funny how Washington works sometimes ROFL

Raiderhader
09-09-2004, 11:21 AM
I did some checking...and it's actually set to expire on 9/13.

Second, the republicans tried to introduce a bill that would limit the liability of gun manufacturers as a separate bill. The democrats introduced several ammendments -- the 'gun show' loop hole and a few others, including the re-instatement of the 1994 ban -- that essentially made the original bill swiss cheese.

The bill failed as ammended 90-8 with the authors even voting against it. Essentially killing any chances of the subject coming up again in this term.

Yeah, I ran across that too. I also ran across Bush's words. What he actaully said was that he would sign the extension if it reached his desk, but he would not push the issue himself.

So my little prediction to Troy wasn't such a big deal after all. :rolleyes: