PDA

View Full Version : Spyware -- Please Help!

Jmart
09-09-2004, 04:07 PM
So I downloaded Kazaa after I have not had it for awhile. I remembered that it came with some spyware and I guess I was willing to deal with it. But I guess the newest version has LOTS of spyware on it as I has 10-20 popups coming up at one time and about as many trying to load onto my quickbar also. I already have a free Spyware program and I deleted Kazzaa and as many extra programs that I could tell were downloaded along with it. I am still getting lots of popups and certain text words on Web pages are highlighted as advertisments. Can anyone tell me how I can get rid of this?! Thanks in advance...

TheNextStep
09-09-2004, 04:08 PM
Which free spyware program do you already have?

Jmart
09-09-2004, 04:13 PM
Spyware Doctor. It had good reviews on download.com...

TheNextStep
09-09-2004, 04:18 PM
I use Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy in tandem. When one is done, run the other. I also use CWShredder because it gets some stuff the other two miss. If you're still having problems Hijack This! is a good program to have and the log it generates is very useful for when you realize that friends don't know enough sh** to fix your problem and you go to an actual tech help website.

Lastly, go with either Winpatrol or Spyware Blaster to prevent a lot of that sh** from installing in the first place.

Jmart
09-09-2004, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the help. I will try all that. I don't know how anyone can even use Kazza anymore because it crashed my computer because of all the crap that came with it....

DTLB58
09-09-2004, 04:36 PM
So I downloaded Kazaa after I have not had it for awhile. I remembered that it came with some spyware and I guess I was willing to deal with it. But I guess the newest version has LOTS of spyware on it as I has 10-20 popups coming up at one time and about as many trying to load onto my quickbar also. I already have a free Spyware program and I deleted Kazzaa and as many extra programs that I could tell were downloaded along with it. I am still getting lots of popups and certain text words on Web pages are highlighted as advertisments. Can anyone tell me how I can get rid of this?! Thanks in advance...

I just went thru a bad expirence over the weekend with spyware.

Spybot and adware helped a lot. I got rid of kazaa a long time ago (it's spyware HELL!) But remember to uninstall kazaa not just delete it.

Also, If running adware or spybot dosen't solve it, you may have to go under files and folders and delete the file name of the spyware that they (adware or spybot) found. Tha's what i had to do anyways, without doing that it didn't work. Once adware quarinted the file then and only then I could delete it.

Good luck :thumb:

morphius
09-09-2004, 04:47 PM
I use Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy in tandem. When one is done, run the other. I also use CWShredder because it gets some stuff the other two miss. If you're still having problems Hijack This! is a good program to have and the log it generates is very useful for when you realize that friends don't know enough sh** to fix your problem and you go to an actual tech help website.

Lastly, go with either Winpatrol or Spyware Blaster to prevent a lot of that sh** from installing in the first place.
What he said...

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-09-2004, 04:48 PM
Ad-Aware kicks ass.

2bikemike
09-09-2004, 06:23 PM
I am having the same problem But if you delete certain files Kazaa will not work.

I found this http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/kazaa/ht/disablecydoor.htm

The free Kazaa peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing application contains a third-party spyware program called Cydoor. Spyware programs like Cydoor not only generate advertising banners and pop-ups, but they also send private information about your Internet surfing habits to outside advertising companies (ostensibly to help them generate the ads). The following instructions explain how to quickly and safely disable Cydoor on the free Kazaa Media Desktop.
Difficulty: Easy

Time Required: 5 minutes

Here's How:
1. Go to http://www.cexx.org/dummies.htm

2. Download the free, open source package CD_CLINT.ZIP to your computer. To do this, right-click on the CD_CLINT.ZIP and choose Save Target As. Save the file to a temporary folder on your hard drive.

3. Open the file CD_CLINT.ZIP on your local hard drive and find the file CD_CLINT.DLL that is inside. Save the file CD_CLINT.DLL to the top-level folder where Kazaa is installed on your computer, often C:\Program Files\Kazaa\. A CD_CLINT.DLL file will already be present in this folder and you may be asked if you wish to overwrite it; answer Yes to this question.

4. Cydoor is now disabled on this computer. The new CD_CLINT.DLL does not communicate on the network and is a harmless replacement for the old library. You can now safely delete the package CD_CLINT.ZIP installed in Step 2 above.

Tips:
1. Attempting to simply delete Cydoor without following these instructions will cause Kazaa to cease functioning.
2. This procedure is not necessary for Kazaa Lite clients; these do not contain any spyware.
3. The package CD_CLINT.ZIP also contains the source code for the new library. The technically inclined may be interested to view the source code to see how the technique of "stub" programming works.

2bikemike
09-09-2004, 06:27 PM
BTW I tried those steps but in step 3 I did not get the message that the file was already there do you want to over write it?

So I don't think I did something right.

DTLB58
09-09-2004, 06:36 PM
I use Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy in tandem.

I got so frustrated at one point Sunday I called a web site offering help on spy ware removal and the tech did reccomend to use both also.

Man that is bad stuff, The gov't should really do something about this crap.

R&GHomer
09-09-2004, 07:18 PM
I went through this crap a few weeks ago. I agree Ad-Aware and Spybot work very well. You can also try registry mechanic and the free popup stopper that google has. In fact, I think the google popup stopper works better than the one from panic ware.

Pants
09-09-2004, 07:50 PM
Next time just get Kazaa Lite. It doesn't have as many options but has no spyware bullshit with it. I've had it for a while and that's how it used to be. They might have changed it by now, but I doubt it.

C-Mac
09-09-2004, 08:15 PM
Wait till you get the latest version of "CoolWebSearch"(www_heretofind_com) worm type of spy_ware. I have been battling this wothless piece of !@%! every day since Aug 8th and still cant shake it.:mad: I guess I'm going to have to wipe the HD to get rid of it.
If I could only get my hands on the spinless bastengens that write this crap!
:banghead:

TheNextStep
09-09-2004, 08:16 PM
Does CWShredder not take care of that for you, C-Mac?

tommykat
09-09-2004, 09:07 PM
I am having the same problem But if you delete certain files Kazaa will not work.

I found this http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/kazaa/ht/disablecydoor.htm

The free Kazaa peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing application contains a third-party spyware program called Cydoor. Spyware programs like Cydoor not only generate advertising banners and pop-ups, but they also send private information about your Internet surfing habits to outside advertising companies (ostensibly to help them generate the ads). The following instructions explain how to quickly and safely disable Cydoor on the free Kazaa Media Desktop.
Difficulty: Easy

Time Required: 5 minutes

Here's How:
1. Go to http://www.cexx.org/dummies.htm

2. Download the free, open source package CD_CLINT.ZIP to your computer. To do this, right-click on the CD_CLINT.ZIP and choose Save Target As. Save the file to a temporary folder on your hard drive.

3. Open the file CD_CLINT.ZIP on your local hard drive and find the file CD_CLINT.DLL that is inside. Save the file CD_CLINT.DLL to the top-level folder where Kazaa is installed on your computer, often C:\Program Files\Kazaa\. A CD_CLINT.DLL file will already be present in this folder and you may be asked if you wish to overwrite it; answer Yes to this question.

4. Cydoor is now disabled on this computer. The new CD_CLINT.DLL does not communicate on the network and is a harmless replacement for the old library. You can now safely delete the package CD_CLINT.ZIP installed in Step 2 above.

Tips:
1. Attempting to simply delete Cydoor without following these instructions will cause Kazaa to cease functioning.
2. This procedure is not necessary for Kazaa Lite clients; these do not contain any spyware.
3. The package CD_CLINT.ZIP also contains the source code for the new library. The technically inclined may be interested to view the source code to see how the technique of "stub" programming works.

It won't let me save to temp file.......ideas?

jAZ
09-09-2004, 09:26 PM
Does Kazaa Lite still exist?

tommykat
09-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Does Kazaa Lite still exist?

I just want Kazza off my computer period!! So now what?

KcMizzou
09-09-2004, 09:37 PM
I just want Kazza off my computer period!! So now what? uninstall?

tommykat
09-09-2004, 10:23 PM
uninstall?

Duh??? It will not let me remove it! Takes me to a sight, but that really does not work, :hmmm: same thing............got it?

KcMizzou
09-09-2004, 11:06 PM
Duh??? It will not let me remove it! Takes me to a sight, but that really does not work, :hmmm: same thing............got it? No, I really don't got it.

C-Mac
09-10-2004, 04:58 AM
Does CWShredder not take care of that for you, C-Mac?

Evidentually this is a newer version that CWShredder cant touch and I've been through the search engines for help also. Came close but this thing rewrites itself and tries to overtake Explorer.

StcChief
09-10-2004, 07:07 AM
Use windows control panel add remove programs.

C-Mac
09-10-2004, 07:18 AM
Use windows control panel add remove programs.

Not sure if your replying to me but:
1:I dont see a program to remove for it.
2:Even if so,this thing rewrites itself no matter how many things related to it you delete. Its way deep in the root of the registry.

patteeu
09-10-2004, 07:23 AM
Evidentually this is a newer version that CWShredder cant touch and I've been through the search engines for help also. Came close but this thing rewrites itself and tries to overtake Explorer.

The guy who writes CWShredder (he's also the guy who writes HiJackThis I think) keeps putting out new versions as new versions of CoolWebSearch come along. I think his website was

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/

but I'm having trouble getting there this morning to confirm that. Anyway, you probably just tried an older version of CWShredder so I'd try to find the newest version and try that before you wipe your harddrive.

Version 1.59 is available at

http://www.soft32.com/download-publisher-19014-3.html

I don't know if that's the newest version or not but you might check it against the version you've tried.

Ari Chi3fs
09-10-2004, 07:37 AM
I have the next to last release of Kazaalite... and have NEVER had a prob... :-)

C-Mac
09-10-2004, 07:55 AM
The guy who writes CWShredder (he's also the guy who writes HiJackThis I think) keeps putting out new versions as new versions of CoolWebSearch come along. I think his website was

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/

but I'm having trouble getting there this morning to confirm that. Anyway, you probably just tried an older version of CWShredder so I'd try to find the newest version and try that before you wipe your harddrive.

Version 1.59 is available at

http://www.soft32.com/download-publisher-19014-3.html

I don't know if that's the newest version or not but you might check it against the version you've tried.

Thanks for trying.
I use: AdAware, Spybot, HiJackThis and WinPatrol and they all find files, but they keep coming back. Ive gotten as far as shutting it down for a session, but once I reboot, its back again.
:cuss:

patteeu
09-10-2004, 08:26 AM
Thanks for trying.
I use: AdAware, Spybot, HiJackThis and WinPatrol and they all find files, but they keep coming back. Ive gotten as far as shutting it down for a session, but once I reboot, its back again.

If you do, in fact, have the latest version of CWShredder and that doesn't work then try posting your HiJackThis log on www.computercops.com or a similar tech help website for advice. They may be able to help you avoid the windows reinstall.

CoolWebSearch has been doing what you describe (reinstalling itself after you think you've cleaned it up) for a while now and I've removed it from my parent's computer as recently as 3 weeks ago using the latest version (at the time) of CWShredder with no problem. CWS does keep changing and that's why they need to keep updating CWShredder, but I'd be surprised if there isn't a version of CWShredder that will work for you (if the current version doesn't work I'd be surprised if they don't release a new version real quick).

ChiTown
09-10-2004, 08:52 AM
I just bought the McAfee Spyware and it sucks. I have just as many problems as before. Any advice?

Jmart
09-10-2004, 10:51 AM
I think I am going to get the Norton two-pack which includes Internet security and the virus protection. Hopefully that will do the trick...

Mr. Laz
09-10-2004, 11:27 AM
Next time just get Kazaa Lite..

yep

patteeu
09-10-2004, 11:40 AM
I think I am going to get the Norton two-pack which includes Internet security and the virus protection. Hopefully that will do the trick...

If you are talking about the 2-pack that includes virus protection and internet firewall, it won't do you much good with respect to Spyware. Your best bet there (as far as I'm aware) is what someone earlier in the thread mentioned: Adaware plus Spybot Search & Destroy. CWShredder to clean up CoolWebSearch browser hijacks and HiJackThis (in conjunction with a tech web forum where you can go for advice on what your HJT log means) to identify most other hijack attempts.

The other thing you should definitely do is stop using Internet Explorer. Get Firefox (the stand-alone browser from Mozilla). There are a couple of threads on ChiefsPlanet about it that tell you how to get it and where you can get extension modules) or one of the other 3rd party browsers. Some people also avoid using Outlook Express for email, but I haven't taken that step yet myself. A lot of spyware exploit IE's ability to be extended using something called a browser helper object. Firefox doesn't use BHO's so it is less likely to pick up those types of "bugs."

Good luck.

The other thing you could do in lieu of all the above is switch to the Mac, but that's a pretty radical fix. ;)

Mosbonian
09-10-2004, 11:44 AM
I installed Spybot Search and Destroy and quite frankly I had to uninstall it because about 30 minutes after I installed it my Internet Explorer shut down and whenever I would try to restart it I would get the error message..."Iexplore caused an error in SDHELPER.dll....Iexplore will now shut down".....and I couldn't get the internet to come back up until I uninstalled it.

mmaddog

Jmart
09-10-2004, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the advice! I already ran spybot and adaware and it hasn't seemed to have cleaned up everything but I still need to take the time to find out how to use it extensively....

C-Mac
09-10-2004, 03:57 PM
If you do, in fact, have the latest version of CWShredder and that doesn't work then try posting your HiJackThis log on www.computercops.com or a similar tech help website for advice. They may be able to help you avoid the windows reinstall.

CoolWebSearch has been doing what you describe (reinstalling itself after you think you've cleaned it up) for a while now and I've removed it from my parent's computer as recently as 3 weeks ago using the latest version (at the time) of CWShredder with no problem. CWS does keep changing and that's why they need to keep updating CWShredder, but I'd be surprised if there isn't a version of CWShredder that will work for you (if the current version doesn't work I'd be surprised if they don't release a new version real quick).

I'm sure someone will get something out that will dismantle this mess, but all my research shows different at this time. The only sucess story I read about was after purchasing AdAware "Professional" coupled with Spybot. Not quite ready to throw cash at it yet.

memyselfI
09-10-2004, 04:14 PM
Thanks for trying.

Yours is not called Casalemedia by any chance? That thing is the devil's work. :banghead:

FWIW, I use:

spysweeper
spybot
Adaware
Winpatrol
Spyguard
Spyware Blaster

No luck with any of them.

C-Mac
09-10-2004, 04:31 PM
Yours is not called Casalemedia by any chance? That thing is the devil's work. :banghead:

FWIW, I use:

spysweeper
spybot
Adaware
Winpatrol
Spyguard
Spyware Blaster

No luck with any of them.

No its not Casalemedia, but it sure could be its brother. My understanding is the one I got is a newer mixed version of Coolsearch. Some of the found files are identified as such. Its the kind of intruding spyware\worm that would make you want to intrude your car right through the offices of the maker!

3rd&48ers
09-10-2004, 04:53 PM
http://www.spychecker.com/software/freeware_antispy.html

Jmart
09-10-2004, 06:46 PM
I guess there must be people stupid enough to buy the software from the actual people that are flooding their machines with spyware. Why oh why did I try to download Kazza? I feel like I will be paying dearly for the blunder for quite awhile...

yunghungwell
11-23-2004, 12:21 PM
Ok, here is the deal. I have been hearing about how about 90% of everybody's computer out there is infected with some type of spyware. I see that during this thread many people have mentioned Adaware and Spybot S&D. My question is where is there a safe place to get (download)those programs. I am afraid that I could download some real nasty shit from some dummy site if I were to just go google these two items.

TIA

YHW

KCTitus
11-23-2004, 12:24 PM
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

htismaqe
11-23-2004, 12:25 PM
Forget Norton or McAfee, they won't help you.

Here is what I suggest for ongoing protection:

AdAware from http://www.lavasoft.com/
AVG Anti-Virus from http://www.grisoft.com

As far as removing the current problem:

http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html

CWShredder has been sold to a new company. You can still get info here:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/index.html

ChiTown
11-23-2004, 12:33 PM
Forget Norton or McAfee, they won't help you.

Here is what I suggest for ongoing protection:

AdAware from http://www.lavasoft.com/
AVG Anti-Virus from http://www.grisoft.com

As far as removing the current problem:

http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html

CWShredder has been sold to a new company. You can still get info here:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/index.html

I'd add Spysweeper as well. I absolutely love that program.

Right now I run AVG, AdAware and Spysweeper and haven't had a problem yet.