PDA

View Full Version : OT: Has anyone here suffered from panic attacks?

Fat Elvis
09-10-2004, 07:20 AM
This is a serious question. I never thought it would happen to me, especially since I am a fairly laid back guy, but recently I have been having panic attacks. I'm going to go see the doctor about it Monday, but in the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with them?

Thanks

Fat E

Nubian Nut
09-10-2004, 07:26 AM
Paxil

htismaqe
09-10-2004, 07:26 AM
Sedatives.

NewChief
09-10-2004, 07:33 AM
One unconventional suggestion I'd offer is to increase your physical activity. A little exercise can really help reduce stress and anxiety levels.

Brock
09-10-2004, 07:39 AM
Pot.

Dartgod
09-10-2004, 07:41 AM
I saw a movie about this once and I believe shooting a pillow a few times will help.

Skip Towne
09-10-2004, 07:44 AM
Don't buy that damn house.

NewChief
09-10-2004, 07:47 AM
Pot.

That actually used to be one of the triggers of mine.

munkey
09-10-2004, 07:48 AM
One unconventional suggestion I'd offer is to increase your physical activity. A little exercise can really help reduce stress and anxiety levels.

That and I'm sure your doctor will be checking your blood pressure. I've been on BP medicine for about a two years now for really the same reason....I couldn't sleep and my heart raced so fast I thought I was going to have a heart attack or stroke...

Pretty scary really....

Unfortunatley its all in the family gene's for me... :(

Fat Elvis
09-10-2004, 08:01 AM
That and I'm sure your doctor will be checking your blood pressure. I've been on BP medicine for about a two years now for really the same reason....I couldn't sleep and my heart raced so fast I thought I was going to have a heart attack or stroke...

Pretty scary really....

Unfortunatley its all in the family gene's for me... :(

I think it is genetic for me as well. I was talking to my mother about it a couple days ago, and she said she used to suffer panic attacks/ generalized anxiety disorder as well.

I also know what you mean thinking you were going to have a heart attack. It is pretty freaking scary. It feels like your whole body is being squeezed and you can't breathe.

Mark M
09-10-2004, 08:08 AM
I've never had panic attacks, but I have had anxiety attacks. I get a weird sense of deja v, nausea, hot flash and then the sweats and shakes. I turn stark white and about pass out. It is NOT a pleasant experience, and the first timeI experienced one (back in '96, right after I graduated college) I though I was dying ... seriously. I thought the end was here.

The weird thing is that it happens after I've been through an incredibly stressful situation. While under stress I'm fine, but a week later -- BOOM! -- it hits. And it only started after I stopped smoking weed (since that usually made me so mellow I didn't give a crap. ;) ).

The key is to do things to reduce your stress -- exercise, meditation, yoga, a blowjob from the hot blonde down the street ... :D

Basically, whatever you find helps you relax. Try those first before going on meds. If they don't work, then start the pill poppin'.

Hope that helped ...

MM
~~:)

LVNHACK
09-10-2004, 08:11 AM
FE.....My wife has them, and is on medication, her advice until you see the DR. Headphones listen to relaxing music, slow your breathing and tell yourself it's alright. If it's real bad go to the ER and get a shot. The medication zanex will worl until you get regulated by your Dr. she says both paxil & zoloft both work well but it will take a week or two until they get into you system. If you've got any other questions send me a pm & maybe I can get her to respond.

Good Luck,

PS she says they are terrible.

Mark M
09-10-2004, 08:14 AM
The medication zanex will work ...

Mmmmmmmm .... xanex ... that will DEFINITELY mellow you out, man.

MM
~~:Peace:

the Talking Can
09-10-2004, 08:48 AM
Paxil works, but it kills your sex drive and generally makes you feel kind of "grey" (not to high, not to low)...I eventually stopped taking it as it seemed worse, in a way, than the anxiety.

I'd suggest yoga (seriously). And maybe a little time talking with a therapist about how to deal with it, its not strictly a medical (physiological) condition.

Phobia
09-10-2004, 09:15 AM
Dude, you didn't start getting these until you got married.....

That's your problem. Clear as day. You should divorce and revert to "Shacking up".

grandllama
09-10-2004, 09:19 AM
I think it is genetic for me as well. I was talking to my mother about it a couple days ago, and she said she used to suffer panic attacks/ generalized anxiety disorder as well.

I also know what you mean thinking you were going to have a heart attack. It is pretty freaking scary. It feels like your whole body is being squeezed and you can't breathe.

Yep... they suck the big one. Doctors had me on Paxil / Xanax combo for a couple of years while I learned how to handle them on my own... now its just a combination of the relaxation techniques already on here, and having someone to talk to...

The first time (and second, and third, and fourth) I had one I swore I was dieing until they told me it was all in my 'head'... I haven't had one for three years now, knock on wood... although I do feel them starting, I can fight them off before they become full blown.

cadmonkey
09-10-2004, 10:06 AM
I suffer from panic attacks pretty bad. My heart feels like it is going to jump through my chest, my hands start to shake, and my mind races all over the place. I have tried to take pills and what ever else to stop them but they just keep coming.

I usually just focus on my breathing, close my eyes, and walk away from where ever I am at the time to clear my mind. It works a lot of the time. Panic attacks are just in your mind a lot of the time. I feel your pain and hope you can work through it.

cadmonkey
09-10-2004, 10:07 AM
oh ya, I highly recommend staying as far away from zoloft as you can. My girlfriend had to go on it and it made her almost trip out and go crazy. bad sh*t man, bad sh*t.

Mr. Kotter
09-10-2004, 10:14 AM
No, not personally.

But I'd guess jAZ and Duhnese know a LOT about them. :hmmm:

munkey
09-10-2004, 10:16 AM
I suffer from panic attacks pretty bad. My heart feels like it is going to jump through my chest, my hands start to shake, and my mind races all over the place.

Do you feel like your going to pass out?

LVNHACK
09-10-2004, 10:20 AM
Fat Elvis, This is Mrs. Hack. Suffered from anxiety and panic attacks for several years. What worked best for me until I could get to the Dr. was to walk around outside and take if fresh air. I would also put on my cd player with a favorite cd to help change my focus. In the meantime try to work on your breathing and tell yourself to relax. I realize you feel that you are about to die, but know that you aren't and this too shall pass. Also it does not hurt to ask god for a little guidance through this time. I have not had any panic attacks since I also was placed on Paxil and xanax several years ago. Occasionally have the urge but am able to "walk it off". Hope this helps, Mrs. Hack

PastorMikH
09-10-2004, 10:20 AM

I'll add to that and say you might try staying away from caffine as well.

PastorMikH
09-10-2004, 10:22 AM
Mrs Hack, WELCOME!!!!

Yolu should really get your own login and join us more often!!!

(just don't do any searches to read what Hack has written concerning you.;):D)

j/k

ChiTown
09-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Yes. I've suffered from them forever. It sucks, and it's a gawddamn wreck on your body, nerves and mental state.

I don't take the drugs (Paxil, etc), but I do a lot of meditation and excercise. I've been able to "manage them", but I still get the sensation from time to time, and it still scares the F out of me. Lot's of positive thinking, deep breathing and staying away from things that are negative.

At one point, it was wrecking my career. Everytime I went into a meeting, I started to have a panic attack. Flop sweats, heart pounding, couldn't swallow - FN nightmare. I thought I was going to die. The best thing you can do, and I'm serious, is meditation and excercise. Stay on top of it without the drugs as long as you can. If it doesn't work, then go to the Paxil.

Good luck.

Soupnazi
09-10-2004, 10:27 AM
I had about an 2-year bout with them recently. Mine started about 6 months prior to my wedding (not sure if that caused them), but gradually, I've learned how to deal.
First one was scary as hell, doing 80 mph down I-70 and all of a sudden my heart starts missing beats and my hands and feet go numb. Accompanied by a striking fear of impending death along with this strange out-of-body like sensation.

Anyway, quitting the pot-a-day coffee habit, along with more exercise helped. Zoloft didn't help, as it made my sex drive go away completely and I always felt like I was on the urge of having another one.

I guess ultimately, I've learned to recognize that I'm not dying, it'll pass, and I mentally try and back myself away from those terror-like feelings. After a couple years, they've all but gone away. Anymore I just get angry at them rather than scared and they seem to go away even quicker.

LVNHACK
09-10-2004, 10:31 AM
Mrs Hack, WELCOME!!!!

Yolu should really get your own login and join us more often!!!

(just don't do any searches to read what Hack has written concerning you.;):D)

j/k

She's got one and won't use it......So STFD & STFU........... :p

Taco John
09-10-2004, 10:33 AM
Tai Chi

Mark M
09-10-2004, 10:36 AM
Tai Chi

I prefer thai stick ...

MM
~~:bong: ;)

PastorMikH
09-10-2004, 10:44 AM
She's got one and won't use it......So STFD & STFU........... :p

Personally I think it would be nice to have her around to keep you in line.

LVNHACK
09-10-2004, 10:46 AM

I already told you.........STFU & STFD........If I wanna hear from the cloth I'll start going to Church on my own............... :p

LVNHACK
09-10-2004, 10:48 AM

BTW.....Look what happened to Clint once Red started posting......Now she's on line and he's changing diapers............ :shake:

Not happening in my house..............

Mark M
09-10-2004, 10:48 AM
BTW.....Look what happened to Clint once Red started posting......Now she's on line and he's changing diapers............ :shake:
I never knew Clint wore diapers ...

but that does explain a lot.

MM
~~:spock:

LVNHACK
09-10-2004, 10:52 AM
I never knew Clint wore diapers ...

but that does explain a lot.

MM
~~:spock:

ROFL

KingPriest2
09-10-2004, 10:56 AM
I have them but they are under control

I had them ever since my grandmother died in 81. It started after eating at Red Lobster when I was eating dinner with my brother and mom. I ate too much and got sick on the way home. Yeah it was not a "panic attack" but the beginning of them. I was maybe 10 or so. I was just get this feeling and I worry about it or I felt something was wrong, maybe I was going to die. I did not know what was wrong until my oldest brother got married in 87? I had one the day after he got married. We went out for breakfast and I had the feeling something was going to happen and it got worse. I got numb. Well my sister said I might be suffering from panic attacks. I spoke to a Doctor about it and suggested medicine. I said no. I even spoke to a college counselor about them when I went to college.

I would get a weird feeling in my stomach like I was going to be sick. When we went on vacations back when I was younger when ever we went out to eat I would get them. I would sometimes lose my appetite

The panic attacks change. 7 years ago or so I would get them where it was hard to breath I don't get them like that anymore. Anything can set them off

I have learned to live with them I am able to control them for the most part. It was funny I read this thread earlier today and was going to post on it but didn't. Well maybe 30 minutes later I was feeling tense like I had one coming on. Well it is over now It did not get bad. I just got busy doing something and it went away.

Here are some thing that might help out.

When I was talking to a the counselor write down what you are feeling, keep a journal. Talk to someone about it.

Go do something physical ride a bike, play football, shoot the basketball

Talk to someone about it right then. (it helps if someone understands what you are going thru)

Or if noone is around might sound crazy act like you are talking to someone about it. (maybe someone who knows what you are going thru) Or talk to yourself

When you are doing this ask why do you think you are going to die, try to think what set it off, try to rationalize it.

I have developed a system for me to gauge how I feel I rank it 1-5
1-Basically totally calm Sleeping
2-Awake and calm I am usually here not thinking about it
3-feels something might be having a panic attack
4-having a panic attack but not full blown
5-Full Blown panic attack numb really anxious.

It you gauge it that would help out as well

The one thing I feel that is odd that whenever it is passed I feel pretty good. I feel relieved. Sometimes I am like that was stupid why did that happen.

If you need any help let me know I would try to help you out.

And just don't let it run your life and try to stay away from the meds YOu can control it other ways.

I forgot to add I had one at my wedding reception kind of odd because I already got married and everything was over. I was not scared of being married just maybe scared of all the hoopla everything was going well. I was fine when I got to the reception but when we were getting ready to do the toast and cut the cake it was coming on. Then we had our first dance and told my wife and she was joking with me about it. That helped. She was trying to make me realize I was going to do fine.

Braincase
09-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Take whatever Tony Soprano takes.

PastorMikH
09-10-2004, 11:11 AM

Not happening in my house..............

It appears that she is no longer around the computer, right?:D

TRR
09-10-2004, 11:27 AM
I'm 22 and I take medicine (on occasion) for stress/anxiety. Basically I was getting a pain in my chest and it feels like you can't get that deep breath when you want to. It's scary. I thought at 22, I was having heart problems. I went in and had all the tests done (EKG, etc) and everything came back normal. Stress and anxiety can really do some weird things to your body.

Fat Elvis
09-10-2004, 11:36 AM
I really appreciate everyone's input. I have been driving myself and everyone around me crazy. I've just been a wreck. It has taken a lot of the joy out of my life, and unfortunately, a lot of the joy out of my marriage.

I've been blessed in so many ways. I have a (relatively) new wife, a baby on the way, and we are beginning construction on a new house where we can all fit in. These are all things that should make me leap for joy, and I do. However, at the same time, it feels like the weight of the world is crushing down on me.

I hate to admit this, but I seem to find myself focusing on money problems that just aren't there. This seems to trigger my panic attacks and generalized anxiety. I don't know if it triggers it because it is more tangible than some amorphous worry and something I can focus on. I just wish it would go away.

I just want to be worry free and happy again.

Once again, thank you to everyone who have shared their experience and have given advice. It is comforting to know that I'm not the only person who experiences this. hearing your success stories gives me hope and comfort.

Thanks

Fat E

bringbackmarty
09-10-2004, 11:43 AM
Lots of good suggestions here. I am going to rep everybody who posts helpful suggestions on this cause it is what an online community is supposed to be all about. Yeah, caffiene is an evil drug. Pot can cause them too. Yoga was the best suggestion so far in terms of taking your mind and body the furthest place from the panic attack. Exercise is cool, but I have had it trigger them for me, so ramp up any significant changes in your physical activity level. Eating less meat helped, drinking a lot helps at first then the next day when your body is all tired you have like seven panic attacks. Being around healthy people. Mentally and physically. Also being around way ****ed up people to either help them or serve them in some way. Makes you feel real lucky you are yourself if that makes any sense. Good luck, definitely get lots of opinions from thereapists, holistic back crackers, Doctors, priests, Psychiatrists, and the like because these people specialize in broadening your sense of yourself.

TRR
09-10-2004, 12:01 PM
I think the main help is to get some medicine for it. Like I said in my earlier post, I'm on some stuff (whenever I get stressed, or feel that nervous feeling) called Alprazolam. It doesn't make you feel weird or drugged and it's relatively cheap. It especially helps at night to help you relax and get that good sleep your body needs.

I think good sleep is the best remedy for me anyways. Anytime I seem to not get solid sleep...I seem to slip back into that anxiety/stress thing.

Ask your doctor about Alprazolam...(sounds like a commercial).

Mark M
09-10-2004, 12:12 PM
I just want to be worry free and happy again.

You're married and have a kid on the way. You may be happy again, but worry free ... ?

Not so sure about that.

MM
~~;)

Otter
09-10-2004, 12:53 PM
I've been blessed in so many ways. I have a (relatively) new wife, a baby on the way, and we are beginning construction on a new house where we can all fit in.

While I can't offer you a solution you've probably just pointed out the root cause. That's alot of weight to be bearing.

When I get stressed out I find that the best remedy is going back to the simple things that used to make me happy and relaxed; fly fishing, going out 4 wheeling and drinking a six pack, biking, kayaking, getting drunk with close friends or even just playing an online video game till 1am and polishing off a six pack. (re-occuring theme, I know)

I'd make medication a last resort.

Best of luck FatE.

TRR
09-10-2004, 12:59 PM
I'd make medication a last resort.

Best of luck FatE.

When I said medication, your thinking of popping pills night and day to kick this thing. What I suggested (my medication) is a medication that you take when you feel this way. You don't have to take it every day, or every week, or even every month. When you feel stressed and anxiety starts taking over, you take a half a pill (which is about half the size of a dime)...And it works. At night time, you can take a whole pill to fall asleep better or if your really struggling with it.

Your not thinking of medication in terms of how you really take it.

I wouldn't suggest the alchohol thing either...That can lead to other problems if your drinking when your stressed or have anxiety/panic attacks.

cadmonkey
09-10-2004, 01:04 PM
Do you feel like your going to pass out?

No passing out, it almost feels like I've had 20 Red Bulls. I am so awake and alert that is freaks me out.

ENDelt260
09-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Pot.
I suggested that already. He didn't go for it.

ENDelt260
09-10-2004, 01:44 PM
Mmmmmmmm .... xanex ... that will DEFINITELY mellow you out, man.

MM
~~:Peace:
I wouldn't suggest mixing an unknown quantity of it, with an also unknown, but somewhat larger, quantity of valium, and an obscene amount of alcohol.

Not that I've ever done anything like that, mind you. But, I hear it can lead a person to do some really stupid stuff.

Mark M
09-10-2004, 01:56 PM
I wouldn't suggest mixing an unknown quantity of it, with an also unknown, but somewhat larger, quantity of valium, and an obscene amount of alcohol.

Not that I've ever done anything like that, mind you. But, I hear it can lead a person to do some really stupid stuff.

I get the feeling that this story involves:

a.) a broken leg/ankle
b.) farm animals
c.) fat chick(s)
d.) all of the above

MM
~~:hmmm:

Otter
09-10-2004, 02:05 PM

a.) a broken leg/ankle
b.) farm animals
c.) fat chick(s)
d.) all of the above

MM

I vote D.) All the Above - that would make for a good story.

Mark M
09-10-2004, 02:09 PM
I vote D.) All the Above - that would make for a good story.

Unless you're "b" or "c" ...

MM
~~:)

Swanman
09-10-2004, 02:11 PM
The comedian Jay Mohr (Last Comic Standing, Jerry Maguire) suffers from extreme panic attacks. He has a new book out called "Gasping for Airtime" that might be worth picking up because he suffers from horrific panic attacks (puking and pissing/sh*tting himself) but he's been able to get it under control.

The one thing that I've heard him talk about that was interesting was the concept of "anticipatory dread". To make a long story short, he would give himself panic attacks because he was worrying about his next panic attack. Now that's a vicious circle.

Iowanian
09-10-2004, 03:08 PM
If I were feeling a little more ornery right now....I'd be posting Lyrics to a Patsy Cline song. *here* but I don't.

ENDelt260
09-10-2004, 03:19 PM

a.) a broken leg/ankle
b.) farm animals
c.) fat chick(s)
d.) all of the above

MM
Actually... none of the above. It could've involved an arrest... but, luckily my friend Joey prevented that.

Er, I mean. It involves none of the above, because there is no story. I just hear mixing those things is a bad idea.

Fat Elvis
09-10-2004, 03:54 PM
I have been doing a little self medication until I can see the doctor on Monday. I've been taking .25mg of Klonipin 2x a day. It was my wife's, but she can't take it now because she is pregnant. I know I shouldn't have odne this without a doctor, but it has kept me relatively sane the past couple of days. I can eat again and sleep somewhat. This had been wreaking havoc on my body and I was about to have a complete breakdown. I lost 15 lbs in about a 3 week period and I was thinking pretty loopy thoughts. Anyway, thanks to everyone. This has been great for me. Hopefully, if anyone else has these but didn't want to talk about them (I know it was kind of embarassing for me to bring it up, especially on a football board--but you're all like family around here...) this thread will help them as well.

God Bless

Fat E

NewChief
09-10-2004, 04:25 PM
I have been doing a little self medication until I can see the doctor on Monday. I've been taking .25mg of Klonipin 2x a day.

Klonipin is nasty stuff, at least it is when you mix it with booze.

Fat Elvis
09-10-2004, 04:31 PM
Klonipin is nasty stuff, at least it is when you mix it with booze.

I don't drink anymore...

MOhillbilly
09-10-2004, 04:39 PM
That actually used to be one of the triggers of mine.

well.
No shit.

MOhillbilly
09-10-2004, 04:41 PM
bunch of fruitcakes on here.
My BP is so low they get worried when i get a physical.

its all between the ears kids.