PDA

View Full Version : CBS Releases FOURTH Statement On Questionable Records

RINGLEADER
09-10-2004, 01:32 PM
All parentheticals are mine:

"This report was not based solely on recovered documents, but rather on a preponderance of evidence, including documents that were provided by unimpeachable sources (WHO?), interviews with former Texas National Guard officials (WHO?) and individuals who worked closely back in the early 1970s with Colonel Jerry Killian (WHO?) and were well acquainted with his procedures, his character and his thinking," the statement read.

"In addition, the documents are backed up not only by independent handwriting and forensic document experts (WHO?) but by sources familiar with their content (WHO?)" the statement continued. "Contrary to some rumors, no internal investigation is underway at CBS News nor is one planned."

Donger
09-10-2004, 01:35 PM
"Contrary to some rumors, no internal investigation is underway at CBS News nor is one planned."

No problem, CBS. The Pentagon is doing it for you.

If it ends up being proven that the memos are fakes, CBS is going to look somewhat tainted.

Saggysack
09-10-2004, 01:38 PM

If it ends up being proven that the memos are fakes, CBS is going to look somewhat tainted.

And if they don't prove to be fakes?

Matt Helm
09-10-2004, 01:39 PM

Moreso than they already are?

KCTitus
09-10-2004, 01:44 PM
I want to point out at this juncture, that while Im not saying 60 minutes/Rather are liberally biased, their actions are the exact reason why I cannot stand the network news.

Any 'objective' person would start distancing themselves from this, let alone run with it without doing the necessary research or due diligence on this.

It's this attitude of 'It came from the DNC, it HAS to be true' isnt necssarily a conspiracy but it does taint the network news terribly.

Donger
09-10-2004, 01:46 PM

Wouldn't bother me at all. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised that Bush got preferential treatment.

It has no bearing on his being POTUS, and he hasn't made his ANG the centerpiece of his campaign.

RINGLEADER
09-10-2004, 01:53 PM

Problem is that the only way to definitively prove they're not fakes is to come up with handwritten notes...or produce the typewriter that created them...

This story is DOA.

The Democratic Party looks so small on TV this afternoon trying to pimp the Kerry is a war hero and Bush isn't story...they just look pathetic.

RINGLEADER
09-10-2004, 01:58 PM
I want to point out at this juncture, that while Im not saying 60 minutes/Rather are liberally biased, their actions are the exact reason why I cannot stand the network news.

Any 'objective' person would start distancing themselves from this, let alone run with it without doing the necessary research or due diligence on this.

It's this attitude of 'It came from the DNC, it HAS to be true' isnt necssarily a conspiracy but it does taint the network news terribly.

This is a great post. The biggest problem I have with their response right now is that Dan Rather is saying things like "I know this is the truth". HOW on earth could he know? So far I've heard that forensic experts from Fox, ABC, the NY Times, Washington Post and the AP all say that it is doubtful these documents could have been produced in the early 70s. CBS hasn't produced anyone other than a guy who says that he believes the records reflect what Killian felt (despite the fact that other documents say the exact opposite, despite the fact that his wife, son and daughter all say they appear fake and that he liked Bush).

CBS has to prove they're real by producing someone who can show how they were made during that time on the typewriters available to the army at the time. They have to answer why these documents are inconsistent with others that Killian produced at the time. They have to show that the PO box existed at the time. They have to show that the General who supposedly was applying pressure was still involved in applying pressure a year after he retired. They have to explain why Killian would set a deadline for Bush's physical that wasn't the normal date for that period (it was due by the last day of the month of the birthday of the person in question - or about 2.5 months early according to the CBS documents). They have to explain why the abbreviations in use by the Air Force at the time were not used on these documents.

Dan Rather saying "I know this is the truth" isn't going to cut it.

Soupnazi
09-10-2004, 02:06 PM
The biggest problem I have with their response right now is that Dan Rather is saying things like "I know this is the truth". HOW on earth could he know?

As you know, he cannot possibly know. Dan's decided that since 782 political advisors can't run Kerry's campaign, he's going to have to do it for him.

How do I know the story is bogus? One reason...When the other 2 of the big 3 networks come out looking to beat CBS to death over it, then that's about the best indicator of its fraudulence. Normally they try to cover each other's heiny.

FringeNC
09-10-2004, 02:07 PM
There is no way these documents are real. The big issue has nothing to do with the election -- Bush is going to win in a walk regardless -- what's important is that Big Media can no longer be trusted, and can be assumed to be under tacit control of the DNC. Seriously.

Cochise
09-10-2004, 02:10 PM
CBS has to prove they're real by producing someone who can show how they were made during that time on the typewriters available to the army at the time. They have to answer why these documents are inconsistent with others that Killian produced at the time. They have to show that the PO box existed at the time. They have to show that the General who supposedly was applying pressure was still involved in applying pressure a year after he retired. They have to explain why Killian would set a deadline for Bush's physical that wasn't the normal date for that period (it was due by the last day of the month of the birthday of the person in question - or about 2.5 months early according to the CBS documents). They have to explain why the abbreviations in use by the Air Force at the time were not used on these documents.

Someone ought to spraypaint this on the outside of their building.

HC_Chief
09-10-2004, 02:11 PM
Rather should lose his frigging job. (even if he <i>is</i> just a talking head... not a 'real' reporter)

Baby Lee
09-10-2004, 08:09 PM

Somewhat?

Every time I see Dateline, I still remember their penchant for stuffing oily rags in the fillup tube of pickup gas tanks.

BigOlChiefsfan
09-10-2004, 08:53 PM
http://belmontclub.blogspot.com/2004/09/escaping-kill-zone-dan-rathers-defense.html

Thig Lyfe
09-10-2004, 08:57 PM
I think the real quesion here is... WHO?