PDA

View Full Version : New Time Poll: Bush Bounce Persists (Still Up 52-41 - Job Approval @ 56%)

RINGLEADER
09-11-2004, 11:31 AM
http://www.time.com/time/election2004/article/0,18471,695528,00.html

Can you imagine how far ahead he'd be if the DNC/Kerry attacks on his National Guard service weren't so effective?

RINGLEADER
09-11-2004, 11:40 AM
War on terrorism: Bush is up 23 percentage points over Kerry, 58% - 35%, compared to an 8 point lead in early August.

Situation in Iraq: Bush is up 20 points over Kerry, 57% - 37%, compared to a 2 point edge in early August.

Bush as Commander in Chief: Bush is up 20 points over Kerry, 57% - 37%, compared to a tie in early August.

Bush Job rating: Bush is now at 56% approve – 41% disapprove, solidly above the 50% historical threshold for re-electing incumbents. A month ago, he was up only 5 points, with his favorability just at 50%.

Bush Deserves re-election?: Bush has cracked the 50% mark for the first time in recent Poll history, with 52% saying he deserves re-election, while 45% saying it’s time for someone new. Just a month ago, Bush was down by 12 points on deserving re-election.

Right Direction?: Voters are now almost evenly divided on whether the country is headed in the right direction or on the wrong track, 46% - 49%. However that’s up from 44% right direction – 51% wrong track in early August.

Bush’s favorability scores have risen significantly, to 54% favorable - 38% unfavorable. In early August, his favorability was even, 45% favorable – 45% unfavorable. Meanwhile, Kerry’s unfavorable ratings have increased significantly. His favorable – unfavorable scores are now even, 43% favorable – 42% unfavorable. In early August, Kerry favorable – unfavorable ratio was almost 2 to 1, 53% favorable – 29% unfavorable.

Bush Likeability: 70% now say it “accurately describes” Bush, compared to 65% pre-Convention.

Bush understands the issues: 61% say it accurately describes Bush, compared to 54% pre-Convention.

Bush cares about people like you: 53% now, up from 50% pre-Convention.

Bush has good judgment: 54% now, up from 50% pre-Convention.

Bush has clear plans to solve America’s problems: 49% now, up from 44%.

Voters remain divided on Iraq. A slim majority, 53% now says the U.S. was “right to go to war” with Iraq, but 43% say it was wrong. In early August voters divided evenly, 47% - 47% on Iraq.

Voters are also evenly divided about whether actions in Iraq have made the world safer, 44% safer – 46% more dangerous. In early August, a narrow majority of voters (52% more dangerous – 38% safer) believed that the actions made the world more dangerous.

This week’s Time Poll finds surprising Kerry slippage among females – long a Democratic mainstay. Females are now evenly split between Bush (45%) and Kerry (44%). Males heavily favor Bush, 56% - 34%. In early August, females gave Kerry a sizeable 50%-36% lead over Bush.

This week’s Time Poll also finds slight shrinkage in the number of “movable” likely voters, that is, likely voters who are either undecided (3%) or say they might change their minds after choosing a candidate in the poll (12%). Moveables are now down to 15%, from 19% in late August.

FringeNC
09-11-2004, 11:45 AM
By the way, where is John Kerry? Is he AWOL on the campaign again? It's weird how just seems to vanish for days at time.

RINGLEADER
09-11-2004, 11:48 AM
Poll featured 34% Republicans and 35% Democrats.

Although I'm sure Jaz will find some other reason to ignore it.

BCD
09-11-2004, 03:36 PM
By the way, where is John Kerry? Is he AWOL on the campaign again? It's weird how just seems to vanish for days at time.Well, it takes him a couple days to figure which issues to waffle on...

alnorth
09-11-2004, 05:11 PM
Can you imagine how far ahead he'd be if the DNC/Kerry attacks on his National Guard service weren't so effective?

Actually, I think it woulda been closer. By focusing on the national guard and Vietnam while Bush was able to gleefully continue to paint Kerry as a flip-flopper unchallenged, further cementing that image into the voter's minds, Kerry basically pissed away all of August.

RINGLEADER
09-11-2004, 06:08 PM
Actually, I think it woulda been closer. By focusing on the national guard and Vietnam while Bush was able to gleefully continue to paint Kerry as a flip-flopper unchallenged, further cementing that image into the voter's minds, Kerry basically pissed away all of August.

I've heard some Dems explain that their strategy is to make people question Bush's truthfulness so that they can get an opening to go after his terror numbers. I guess that's an OK strategy, but I would think they would have employed it before the final two months of the election. At this point I think Kerry is going to have to convince 15-20% of the voting populace to pick the guy that they think will make them less safe when the polls open on November 2nd. Not impossible, but not easy either.