PDA

View Full Version : Bush's failed War on Terra: Failed to caputure 19 of 22 most wanted terrorists

jAZ
09-11-2004, 03:57 PM
http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/dailystar/38457.php

19 most-wanted terrorists still at large

By Eunice Moscoso
COX NEWS SERVICE

WASHINGTON - One month after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, President Bush announced a list of 22 most-wanted terrorists and reviewed their photos at FBI headquarters.

Bush referred to the men as "the first 22" in a long-term struggle and said they were among the most dangerous "leaders and key supporters . . . planners and strategists."

Three years later, two have been captured and one is believed dead. The other 19 remain at large.

Despite an international effort with cooperation from countries such as Pakistan and a revamping of the FBI and other agencies to focus on preventing terrorism, many important suspects have not been found.

Osama bin Laden, the Saudi dissident and al-Qaida leader, tops the list of most-wanted terrorists. Bin Laden has eluded capture despite a $30 million bounty on his head and is believed to be hiding in a mountainous region on the border between Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Other high-profile suspects who remain at large include Ayman al-Zawahri, believed to be bin Laden's chief deputy and doctor; Saif al-Adil, who is wanted in connection with the 1998 bombings of U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania; and Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, an Islamic militant with alleged ties to al-Qaida who is suspected of involvement in several deadly bombings in Iraq.

The Al-Jazeera Arabic-language television network broadcast a tape of al-Zawahri on Thursday in which he made the false claim that Islamic holy fighters have driven U.S. forces out of much of Af-ghanistan.

Of the original list of 22 most-wanted terrorists, the most significant capture has been Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the alleged mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks. Mohammed is being held at a secret location overseas and has provided valuable information to interrogators, according to federal officials and an independent commission investigating the Sept. 11 strikes.

Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani, a Tanzanian also wanted in connection with the embassy bombings, was arrested last month, according to Pakistani authorities. A third person on the list, Mohammed Atef, a top bin Laden lieutenant, is believed to have been killed during U.S. air strikes in Afghanistan, although the U.S. government has not confirmed his death.

Many important suspects outside the original list have also been captured.

They include Ramzi Binalshibh, who allegedly aided the Sept. 11 hijackers in Germany; Abu Zubaydah, an al-Qaida recruiter and strategist; and Riduan Isamuddin, better known as Hambali, who ran al-Qaida's Southeast Asian operations and is believed to have planned the strike on the USS Cole in Yemen, which killed 17 Americans in 2000.

Bush said last week in his acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention that three-quarters of al-Qaida's key members and associates have been captured or killed.

Still, many suspects remain at large.

When Attorney General John Ashcroft and FBI Director Robert Mueller warned of possible al-Qaida attacks in the United States this summer, they asked the public to help track down seven suspected al-Qaida members who had experience living in the United States.

Only one - Ghailani - has been caught.

The others are Adnan G. El Shukrijumah, a native of Saudi Arabia who lived in South Florida and is described as a possible planner of attacks; Aafia Siddiqui, a native of Pakistan, who was educated at MIT; Fazul Abdullah Mohammed, a suspected al-Qaida leader of East Africa; Amer El-Maati, a native of Kuwait; Abderraouf Jdey, a Canadian citizen who vowed to die for al-Qaida's cause on a videotape found at the home of an al-Qaida leader; and Adam Yahihye Gadahn, an American citizen who converted to Islam as a teenager. Mueller said Gadahn attended al-Qaida training camps and has served al-Qaida leaders as a translator.

Michael Michigan
09-11-2004, 04:29 PM
This looks like a forged document to me.

nychief
09-11-2004, 04:31 PM
wow, cox news huh?

BigMeatballDave
09-11-2004, 04:34 PM
Nice thread, recount...

Mr. Kotter
09-11-2004, 04:41 PM
Nice thread, recount...

You know, you MAY be onto something...I remember a jAZ of old who, at times, was able to be rational. Ever since we banned RECOUNT....jAZ has seemingly lost it...

Perhaps Recount was his alter-ego, that allowed him to vent this irrational side we see; with no Recount, it comes out through jAZ... :hmmm:

Nice theory... :thumb:

Raiderhader
09-11-2004, 05:09 PM
You know, you MAY be onto something...I remember a jAZ of old who, at times, was able to be rational. Ever since we banned RECOUNT....jAZ has seemingly lost it...

Perhaps Recount was his alter-ego, that allowed him to vent this irrational side we see; with no Recount, it comes out through jAZ... :hmmm:

Nice theory... :thumb:

So what does that have to say for your alter-ego?

Mr. Kotter
09-11-2004, 05:15 PM
So what does that have to say for your alter-ego?

Eh....WHICH one.....? ROFL

Pitt Gorilla
09-11-2004, 05:20 PM
So what does that have to say for your alter-ego?SDChiefsfan ISN'T an alter ego?!? Wow.

Mr. Kotter
09-11-2004, 05:27 PM
SDChiefsfan ISN'T an alter ego?!? Wow.
nlm

:p

Valiant
09-11-2004, 05:52 PM
captured..how many are now dead...

Donger
09-11-2004, 06:05 PM
Kind of sad, actually.

Imagine if after three years into WWII, assclowns wrote the same thing about, Hitler, Mussolini, Goering, etc., not being captured or killed and called it a failure. And, we knew where those d*ckheads were.

This is revolting, jAZ. And, beneath you.

jAZ
09-11-2004, 06:15 PM
Kind of sad, actually.

Imagine if after three years into WWII, assclowns wrote the same thing about, Hitler, Mussolini, Goering, etc., not being captured or killed and called it a failure. And, we knew where those d*ckheads were.

This is revolting, jAZ. And, beneath you.
BS.

Imagine if after a year and a half of fighting WWII, the president CHOSE to pull out many of our troops from fighting in Europe and Japan and commited almost all of our armed forces to attack Colombia instead. And a year and a half of having almost ALL of our troops fighting people in Colombia, almost NOTHING has been accomplished in the effort to defeat Europe and Germany.

jAZ
09-11-2004, 06:16 PM
captured..how many are now dead...
2 captured, one believed to be dead.

19 believed to be alive and free to plot more attacks.

Donger
09-11-2004, 06:35 PM
BS.

Imagine if after a year and a half of fighting WWII, the president CHOSE to pull out many of our troops from fighting in Europe and Japan and commited almost all of our armed forces to attack Colombia instead. And a year and a half of having almost ALL of our troops fighting people in Colombia, almost NOTHING has been accomplished in the effort to defeat Europe and Germany.

Please point out to me where and when we invaded Europe in 1943 or early 1944.

We were fighting on many different fronts, against many different enemies, just as we are now.

This is a stupid article, jAZ, and you are pathetic for posting it.

jAZ
09-11-2004, 06:53 PM
We were fighting on many different fronts, against many different enemies, just as we are now.

This is a stupid article, jAZ, and you are pathetic for posting it.
At no time did we choose to pull troops and resources from either of those campaigns and commit almost all of our deployable military resources to attacking an entirely unrelated country (for no justifiable need what so ever).

RINGLEADER
09-11-2004, 07:02 PM
Like Kerry could do better with his "sensitive war on terror" that he plans to fight "primarily as a law enforcement issue" against a threat that he thinks is "exaggerated".

Maybe he can refer to his "strategy to win the war on terror" that he wrote (even though he forgot to include Usama or Al Qaeda in it).

Raiderhader
09-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Eh....WHICH one.....? ROFL

You know very well which one. :thailor:

WilliamTheIrish
09-11-2004, 07:07 PM
We've got work to do. Intelligence services need to do a better job.

But will it make you happy?

Raiderhader
09-11-2004, 07:08 PM
SDChiefsfan ISN'T an alter ego?!? Wow.

Heh heh. You know, I never considered that. But now that you mention it.....

Pitt Gorilla
09-11-2004, 07:33 PM
Heh heh. You know, I never considered that. But now that you mention it.....He's sort of like a gay version of Anton.

patteeu
09-11-2004, 09:03 PM
He's sort of like a gay version of Anton.

LMAO

Mr. Kotter
09-11-2004, 09:08 PM

It's gonna be pretty embarrassing for a Gorilla to get its azz kicked by a "gay version of Anton." :harumph:

:)

Donger
09-11-2004, 09:31 PM
At no time did we choose to pull troops and resources from either of those campaigns and commit almost all of our deployable military resources to attacking an entirely unrelated country (for no justifiable need what so ever).

That's nonsense, jAZ.

What do you call Operation Torch?

jAZ
09-11-2004, 09:46 PM
That's nonsense, jAZ.

What do you call Operation Torch?
It was absolutely nothing like what I described.

LVNHACK
09-11-2004, 09:52 PM
ZZZ

Donger
09-11-2004, 10:25 PM
It was absolutely nothing like what I described.

Unless you're an idiot with regards to history, yes it was.

It was the beginning of the North African Front.

WWII = Multiple Fronts.

WOT = Multiple Fronts.

FringeNC
09-11-2004, 10:35 PM
Mansoor Ijaz
September 10, 2004, 10:00 a.m.
Jihad in Chaos
The extremist ideology is in collapse.

On this third anniversary of the tragic events of September 11, 2001, we have much more to be thankful for than some of our political leaders would have us believe. Islamist terrorism's global scourge has been unable to launch anything more than verbal tirades at America. And while the jihadists have won successes in lesser form the train bombings in Spain that unseated a government, hostage-taking dramas in Iraq that forced minor players from the global antiterror team, and Iran's successful effort to sow divisiveness in the West about its nuclear ambitions while harboring much of al Qaeda's senior leadership the fact remains that they have not been able to execute a spectacular strike in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks.

Osama bin Laden's global vision of jihadists crawling from the cracks in every enemy state to strike out at infidels with weapons of mass destruction is drowning in a swamp of confusion among senior jihadists debating who to attack next, how to do it, and for whose benefit. In short, global jihad has turned on itself, and is being destroyed from within one botched and more wretched attack at a time.

This is largely a function of the sacrifices made by our fallen heroes the men and women of the U.S. armed forces, and their Coalition colleagues in the battlefields of Iraq and Afghanistan. Their courage and valor in conflict zones has battered the very thesis that the enemy is too corrupt of mind, too decadent in spirit, and too weak of body to sustain the battle to victory on which bin Laden and his deputy, Ayman al-Zawahiri, have sent thousands of "martyrs" to their deaths.

Zawahiri's appearance on al Jazeera this week to once again threaten the U.S. was particularly poignant, since it was the Egyptian physician who, in his infinite wisdom, wrote in 2001 prior to the September 11 attacks that if the "jihadist vanguard" improperly executed its plans to spread Islam's words by force, the movement would become isolated and separated from the Muslim masses. He was right, and is now desperately trying to rekindle the unified spirit al Qaeda had achieved prior to the 9/11 attacks.

Zawahiri went so far, at that time in 2001, to set forth the thesis of "shock-and-awe" terrorism as a way to galvanize the Muslim masses against the infidels and win the hearts and minds of the feeble in the Muslim world. And so it was that he conceived the attacks of September 11. Galvanize he did, but the wrong masses. And now global jihad is showing real signs of coming apart.

Just look at recent terrorist acts to see how desperate the jihadists have become to regain their footing among Islam's increasingly skeptical masses. The most informative example is what happened in Russia last week.

The massacre of innocent children at Beslan, where terrorists turned guns on each other to coerce obedience to the plan, demonstrated the very failure of extremist Islam's ideology to inspire and how the hideousness of their actions could sow doubt in even the most criminally hardened minds. When even the terrorists are at a loss to see how killing over 150 schoolchildren can help their cause, you know they have a problem. Most Chechens have now turned away from the very radicals who seek to free them because they see the horrific lengths to which the extremists will go, and realize that they too could be the targets of the assassins.

Like him or not, Vladimir Putin's resolve to stare down Beslan's terrorists about whom he understood nothing will (if by accident) be seen one day as a turning point in the war against extremism, because the depravity of Beslan's architects has turned the silent majority in the Muslim world on its ear. Editors, political leaders, and mullahs from Jeddah to Istanbul to Jakarta are decrying the insanity of the Beslan murders. And they are beginning to realize that always blaming others for their woes won't help elevate their disaffected people or spread the word of their failed vision any faster or better.

We Muslims (I am an American whose faith remains that of the humane and dignified Islam) have no legs to stand on anymore when those who proclaim our religion are willing to put a gun to a child's head, pull the trigger, and call it an act of martyrdom. Islam no longer carries a message of hope, only the indelible impressions of cruelty. Its purveyors are bankrupt of ideas that inspire, and have failed in an ideology that in its very heart today has become hypocritical. To top it all off, America's Muslims whose freedom to craft and convey an opposition to the terrorist cancer is protected by the very people those terrorists seek to destroy, sit silent stone cold silent.

Islam's "vanguard," as Zawahiri called it, has an opportunity to redefine the message and turn away from the extremists. America will win the war against extremism because America's values are righteous, and because God, whatever you conceive Him to be, is at our side. But Islam will surely lose its credibility as a great religion if its benefactors don't stand now and drive the final nail into the coffin of the terrorists who have hijacked a noble faith.

The terrorists have turned on themselves because they have no morality and no code. Let's now finish the job and rise up against them en masse with ideas that reflect human values, not just Islamic values: to mobilize the Muslim masses against their own extremist creed for the good of humanity. To do otherwise is to show the ultimate disrespect for our fallen heroes, both here in America and now in the fields of Beslan, where the innocence of our children was lost as well.

Mansoor Ijaz negotiated Sudan's offer to share intelligence data on Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda with the Clinton administration in April 1997, and jointly authored the cease-fire plan for Kashmir in 2000. He is chairman of Crescent Investment Management in New York.

jAZ
09-11-2004, 10:35 PM
Unless you're an idiot with regards to history, yes it was.

It was the beginning of the North African Front.

WWII = Multiple Fronts.

WOT = Multiple Fronts.
Nice, now you have degraded into personal attacks as well. You were once classy. You can try to turn this into a battle of insults but I'm not playing.

:shake:

IIRC, that was about 4 ships and about 4 days... it was a 2nd front against the Axis who we were battling in Europe.

Iraq was none of the above. Iraq is absorbing effectively ALL available deployable resources and troops... It is a diversion of some of our most critical resources away form the fight against al Qaeda in Afganistan... It was certainly not 4 days.

The notion that Iraq is a "2nd front" that BushCo supporters have been pimping is just another in a line of after-the-fact justifications to deflect the fact that BushCo rolled the dice on bogus claims of WMD.

Raiderhader
09-11-2004, 10:36 PM

ROFL ROFL ROFL That's rep.

Donger
09-11-2004, 11:50 PM
Nice, now you have degraded into personal attacks as well. You were once classy. You can try to turn this into a battle of insults but I'm not playing.

:shake:

IIRC, that was about 4 ships and about 4 days... it was a 2nd front against the Axis who we were battling in Europe.

Iraq was none of the above. Iraq is absorbing effectively ALL available deployable resources and troops... It is a diversion of some of our most critical resources away form the fight against al Qaeda in Afganistan... It was certainly not 4 days.

The notion that Iraq is a "2nd front" that BushCo supporters have been pimping is just another in a line of after-the-fact justifications to deflect the fact that BushCo rolled the dice on bogus claims of WMD.

Unless I'm mistaken, you are are the one who recently equated me to a "little girl," so bite me.

And, no, you don't recall correctly. Go read some history and get back to me.

The North African Camapign was an ancillary theater to WWII.

I don't blame you for being ignorant, but I do blame you for ignorant AND arrogant.

DenverChief
09-11-2004, 11:51 PM

were you gonna say something? :loser: :evil:

Donger
09-11-2004, 11:55 PM
were you gonna say something? :loser: :evil:

Yes. I hit the wrong key hit.

I believe that my eventual response speaks for itself.

Donger
09-11-2004, 11:57 PM
Iraq is absorbing effectively ALL available deployable resources and troops..

That's absolute nonsense, and I'm rather sure that you are aware of it.

Now, what does that make you?

jAZ
09-12-2004, 12:17 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, you are are the one who recently equated me to a "little girl," so bite me.
I have no idea what you are talking about... But if you are wrong, does that make you ignorant and arrogant?
And, no, you don't recall correctly. Go read some history and get back to me.

The North African Camapign was an ancillary theater to WWII.
Really?
http://www.internet-esq.com/ussaugusta/torch/mission.htm
The mission of Operation Torch was:
1. The establishment of firm and mutually supported footholds
(a) between Oran and Tunisia on the Mediterranean, and
(b) in French Morocco on the Atlantic, in order to secure bases for continued and intensified air,
ground and sea operations.
2. Exploitation of the footholds in order to acquire complete control of French Morocco, Algeria,
and Tunisia and extend offensive operations against the rear of Axis forces eastward.
3. Destroy the Axis forces now opposing the British forces in the Western Desert and establish bases for the intensification of air and sea operations against the Axis in the European continent.
You are trying to equate a military campaign to an entirely unlrelated war. That's continues to be the failure of your analogy.

Otter
09-12-2004, 12:18 AM
Shut up already

Donger
09-12-2004, 12:31 AM
I have no idea what you are talking about... But if you are wrong, does that make you ignorant and arrogant?

Really?
http://www.internet-esq.com/ussaugusta/torch/mission.htm

You are trying to equate a military campaign to an entirely unlrelated war. That's continues to be the failure of your analogy.

1. You made reference to me recently as being akin to a young girl = fact. Look it up, not that I really care.

2. Yes, WWII and the WOT are, by defintion, unrelated. I'm not arguing that. I'm merely arguing that in today's 24 hour/in your face electronic media environment, the fact that we haven't "gotten" the big wigs of the WOT within four years of the start of hostilites is irrevelant; it's ongoing. This is going to be a LONG war; in fact, one that may never be won. There is no timeframe for this war, just as there wasn't for WWII.

Therefore, it is stupid to declare it failed because certain leaders haven't been captured or have yet been killed.

Those that do have either a twisted sense of reality, are idiots or are political whores.

Which one are you?

Pitt Gorilla
09-12-2004, 12:37 AM
It's gonna be pretty embarrassing for a Gorilla to get its azz kicked by a "gay version of Anton." :harumph:

:)How many slaps and hair-pulls equates to an ass-kicking?!? :)

(Ok, I'm done.)

jAZ
09-12-2004, 01:35 AM
1. You made reference to me recently as being akin to a young girl = fact. Look it up, not that I really care.
I searched and found nothing... If it = fact, then you'll have to show me... otherwise I'm going with ignorant and arrogant.
I'm merely arguing that in today's 24 hour/in your face electronic media environment, the fact that we haven't "gotten" the big wigs of the WOT within four years of the start of hostilites is irrevelant; it's ongoing. This is going to be a LONG war; in fact, one that may never be won. There is no timeframe for this war, just as there wasn't for WWII.

Therefore, it is stupid to declare it failed because certain leaders haven't been captured or have yet been killed.
BushCo's appoach to fighting this war has been a failure.

Their approach has been to ignore the major threats and focus on the familar ones, and to give the world the finger while trying to convince the country that he isn't doing any of the above. That pattern streaches back all the way to his first days in office.

His attempts to re-write history don't change the facts.

His administration's appologists attempts to look the other way at 4 years of repeated horrible judgement leading to failed diplomacy, failed security, failed military efforts, failed statesmanship... don't change the facts.

Those that do have either a twisted sense of reality, are idiots or are political whores.

Which one are you?I could come up with some smart-ass insult framed as a false choice too... but I'd rather not follow your lead on that one.

Valiant
09-12-2004, 02:01 AM

no even by your own article they do not know 100% for sure... you pick and choose like usual...

jAZ
09-12-2004, 02:15 AM
no even by your own article they do not know 100% for sure... you pick and choose like usual...
WTF are you talking about?
Three years later, two have been captured and one is believed dead. The other 19 remain at large.

1) Besides you in a pissy fit... who/where/what says "100% sure"
2) What exactly should I have "picked" to more accurately answer your question?

Donger
09-12-2004, 09:32 AM
I searched and found nothing... If it = fact, then you'll have to show me... otherwise I'm going with ignorant and arrogant.

My mistake. You accused me of acting like a child, not a gender-specific child.

BushCo's appoach to fighting this war has been a failure.

Their approach has been to ignore the major threats and focus on the familar ones, and to give the world the finger while trying to convince the country that he isn't doing any of the above. That pattern streaches back all the way to his first days in office.

His attempts to re-write history don't change the facts.

His administration's appologists attempts to look the other way at 4 years of repeated horrible judgement leading to failed diplomacy, failed security, failed military efforts, failed statesmanship... don't change the facts.
I could come up with some smart-ass insult framed as a false choice too... but I'd rather not follow your lead on that one.

Again, your opinion. I'll take the fact that there hasn't been a significant terrorist attack on American soil since 9/11 as proof that the WOT has not been a failure.

Raiderhader
09-12-2004, 10:36 AM

It is only in your imagination, and the imagination of those who are blinded by hate for our President, that the war in Iraq is not related to the WOT.

jettio
09-12-2004, 05:23 PM
3 out of 22 is a damn good percentage.

Be interesting to see how Bush came up with his 3/4ths captured claim.

Probably as baseless as every other of his claimed accomplishments.

I think it is horrible that jAZ would ask that an incompetent dope be evaluated on the criteria that the dope himself established. My how unfair and un-American.