PDA

View Full Version : Timewarner Cable in KC now Offering ESPN-HD

Craash
09-11-2004, 03:13 PM
It's official, TWC in KC is now offering ESPNHD. It's part of the HD Package. Wohoo!

ENDelt260
09-11-2004, 03:18 PM
A buddy of mine recently got the Cox HDTV cable box. I was over hanging out at his house... and I didn't think it was all that big a deal. I mean, yeah, the picture was nice and all. But, it's not like I saw anything so mindblowing as to justify the cost. I don't understand what everyone has such a hardon about.

Craash
09-11-2004, 03:27 PM
Well, just like women, HDTV content can be different quality. I would be interested to know what you watched, what type of display it was on, and how much you had already drank. The difference between normal football, and true 108i or 720p football is night and day in my eyes.

unlurking
09-11-2004, 03:35 PM
Yeah, and ESPN HD sux IMHO. Half the times the games aren't filmed in HD, so they just stretch the screen and everything is fat and squat. There news programs and such are like this and very annoying. When they are showing a game RECORDED in HD format, it's awesome, but that seems kinda rare.

Deberg_1990
09-11-2004, 03:37 PM
Well, just like women, HDTV content can be different quality. I would be interested to know what you watched, what type of display it was on, and how much you had already drank. The difference between normal football, and true 108i or 720p football is night and day in my eyes.

Very Very true.......the content of actual HDTV varies soo much right now. Alot of these local broadcasts are only 480 and 720i 1080 looks outstanding and is like night and day from 720

Craash
09-11-2004, 03:38 PM
Unlurking, Tomorrow's Chiefs' game will be HD, and guess what is the ONLY channel you'll see it in all it's glory on?

unlurking
09-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Unlurking, Tomorrow's Chiefs' game will be HD, and guess what is the ONLY channel you'll see it in all it's glory on?
Like I said, if the game is filmed in HD, then ESPN is just like any other HD channel, except for the "squish ur head" commercials, pre-game, half-time, post-game, etc.

If it is NOT filmed in HD, I'll just flip over to the regular ESPN so that I don't get "squish ur head" football.

Either way, I'll get to watch the game in standard 4:3 formart, so I'm stoked!
:)

EDIT: Notice that ST has SEVEN (count 'em SEVEN) games in HD tomorrow?!?! WOOT!!!

Craash
09-11-2004, 03:52 PM
Funny, Right now ESPN is 4:3 with animated espn sidebars, as opposed to just black sidebars or stretched content. Odd. Anyway, like you, I'm stoked that I get to see this game in HD.

unlurking
09-11-2004, 04:26 PM
Really?

Wow, about time!!! I haven't watched ESPN HD since a hockey game during the last playoff that was "squished". If they are not doing that to everything anymore, I will likely stop watching the regular channel!

Thanks for the update!

DRU
09-11-2004, 05:47 PM
I'm watching ESPN HD right now and it's true 1080i 16:9 aspect ratio. Looks outstanding.

I was reading something about other broadcasts...like CBS for example. They only have 2 actual HD teams or whatever. Therefore, they're gonna pick 2 games a week to ACTUALLY record in HD. The others won't be. This is why you might see an HD channel not look HD. It's not braodcast that way. And yes, true 1080i is the only way yo'll get the mouth watering picture.

Skip Towne
09-11-2004, 05:57 PM
A buddy of mine recently got the Cox HDTV cable box. I was over hanging out at his house... and I didn't think it was all that big a deal. I mean, yeah, the picture was nice and all. But, it's not like I saw anything so mindblowing as to justify the cost. I don't understand what everyone has such a hardon about.
I don't either. I think it depends on what you are used to watching. If you are used to digital cable or Directv, it isn't that much better. Certainly not worth the cost.

chiefqueen
09-11-2004, 06:06 PM
I was told last Sun. when I had the cable guy over that TWC should be coming out with HD DVRs in the next week or so.

DRU
09-11-2004, 06:15 PM
I don't either. I think it depends on what you are used to watching. If you are used to digital cable or Directv, it isn't that much better. Certainly not worth the cost.

I'm trying to figure out the cost deal. I pay an extra $10/mo for all HD channels. That's it. and the picture is DEFINITELY MUCH BETTER! For those of you who say it's not any better than digital cable...you're flat wrong. And you probalby haven't seen an actual HD broadcast.

unlurking
09-11-2004, 06:26 PM
I'm trying to figure out the cost deal. I pay an extra $10/mo for all HD channels. That's it. and the picture is DEFINITELY MUCH BETTER! For those of you who say it's not any better than digital cable...you're flat wrong. And you probalby haven't seen an actual HD broadcast.
Don't know how many creature shows I've watched on Discovery HD just because the picture is so amazingly gorgeous. It can be mezmerizing.

But then again, I also have 20/20 and don't use coke bottles. Maybe as I get older and leave my specs by my false teeth in the bathroom I'll believe that HD isn't any better than refular TV.

KChiefs1
09-11-2004, 06:32 PM
I'm watching ESPN HD right now and it's true 1080i 16:9 aspect ratio. Looks outstanding.

It's the only way to watch sports!:toast:

Skip Towne
09-11-2004, 06:34 PM
You don't think I've seen HD? Hey, dickwad, I install them. And I didn't say it wasn't any better. I said it isn't much better than standard Directv and it isn't. And certainly not worth the cost.

KChiefs1
09-11-2004, 06:37 PM
If you are used to digital cable or Directv, it isn't that much better.

When is the last time you had your eyes checked??????? :eek:

Skip Towne
09-11-2004, 06:48 PM
When is the last time you had your eyes checked??????? :eek:
Several of my customers must need their eyes checked too. I've had several of them say "That's it?" after I convert them over. I wouldn't pay $50 for it over Directv standard.

Craash
09-11-2004, 07:37 PM
Skip,

How much better does a DVD look than normal DirectTV to you?

I just want to point out that DirecTV is 480i (that's 480 lines of interlaced of picture), where a progressive DVD is 480P (480 lines of non-intelaced picture).

HDTV for comparison, is either 720P or 108i. I'm confused as to how ANYONE can't see a huge difference in the picture. Now, if you're talking about the NON-HDTV channels on the HDTV dish, there shouldn't be any difference between the two.

DRU
09-11-2004, 07:39 PM
I've never seen DirectTV connection or HD. But you compared it to digital cable...which I have...and HD is WAY better. So I'm still confused by your points. And...$50? How many channels do you get with DirecTV HD? I've got 14 on my cable that I pay $10.00 for. Totally worth it. What gives?

unlurking
09-11-2004, 07:44 PM
I've never seen DirectTV connection or HD. But you compared it to digital cable...which I have...and HD is WAY better. So I'm still confused by your points. And...$50? How many channels do you get with DirecTV HD? I've got 14 on my cable that I pay $10.00 for. Totally worth it. What gives?
It is only $10 on DTV. And it is MUCH better.

Does anyone remeber hearing people say they could not tell the audio differences between CD & Tape? I thinking this is much the same.

Craash
09-11-2004, 07:44 PM
DRU, as far as Dish vs cable comparison, it totally depends upon the compression used by either company, more compression, more room for channels, worse picture quality. Cable has more bandwidth - currently - than either dish companies. One of the pluses that would have came from the Dish/Directv merger would have been a large increase in bandwidth.

In the kansas city area, GENERALLY directv is better on the lower channels, due to the fact that cable compresses them more since they are still analog. These are the channels that you can get without a box on cable. Once we get above the analog channels (>78 on TWC) Cable is digital too, and the quality is very equal between the two mediums.

Skip Towne
09-11-2004, 07:45 PM
I'm taking Endelt's word for digital cable. I think it sucks. And I don't have HD but have installed a bunch of them. And, as I said, my customers have been disappointed that HD is no better than it is. We have gone to HD, then back to standard Directv and they say WTF? Your $10 per month is a drop in the bucket to what it cost you to get ready for it. What don't you understand?

Craash
09-11-2004, 07:45 PM
It is only $10 on DTV. And it is MUCH better.

Does anyone remeber hearing people say they could not tell the audio differences between CD & Tape? I thinking this is much the same.

More like tape and DVDA, or SACD, or even, dare I say, a live concert. :-) Okay, the last one may be a bit over the top.

Craash
09-11-2004, 07:47 PM
I'm taking Endelt's word for digital cable. I think it sucks. And I don't have HD but have installed a bunch of them. And, as I said, my customers have been disappointed that HD is no better than it is. We have gone to HD, then back to standard Directv and they say WTF? Your $10 per month is a drop in the bucket to what it cost you to get ready for it. What don't you understand?

Skip, I thought the last time we talked HD, you said you had only installed a handful of them?

The DirectTV hardware cost is down a great deal, in the last month.

unlurking
09-11-2004, 07:51 PM
Before you take his word, don't you think you ought to make sure he'd had less than a 12-pack prior to making his judgement call regarding HD?

:p

DRU
Your $10 per month is a drop in the bucket to what it cost you to get ready for it.

Uh...it didn't cost me anything to get ready for it. They came and gave me my box and my cable modem and they left with a check for the pro-rated first month. Next month I begin paying in full. So I still don't know where all these extra fees you speak of come into play.

Craash

Yep, here is its. Posted 07-16-2004, 09:58 AM

I know very little about HD. I've done about 2000 installs and 3 of them were HD.

Located Here (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=1814259&postcount=14)

DRU
09-11-2004, 07:52 PM
LOL

TopJet2
09-11-2004, 07:53 PM
Uh...it didn't cost me anything to get ready for it. They came and gave me my box and my cable modem and they left with a check for the pro-rated first month. Next month I begin paying in full. So I still don't know where all these extra talks you speak of come into play.

HEY DRU you gotta remember you are talking to a dtv installer he can make all kinds of dollar figures appear out of nowhere.

Seriously though skip hd is a huge upgrade in picture quality over the analog channels of course, and to me the upgrade is similar between digital and hd as compared to digital over analog its just that much better.

Craash
09-11-2004, 07:53 PM
I was told last Sun. when I had the cable guy over that TWC should be coming out with HD DVRs in the next week or so.

They are out, and have been since last tuesday. Check www.avsforum.com

Skip Towne
09-11-2004, 07:55 PM
LOL
I've done a few since then. But not many. They aren't very popular for good reason. If you're happy, that's all that counts. I think you got screwed and don't want to admit it.

DRU
09-11-2004, 08:00 PM
$10/mo extra for 14 channels of the best damn picture I've ever seen. I sure took it in the a** on that one.

unlurking
09-11-2004, 08:01 PM
I've done a few since then. But not many. They aren't very popular for good reason. If you're happy, that's all that counts. I think you got screwed and don't want to admit it.
ROFL!!!

That's like my grandma asking my why I needed power locks and windows on my vehicle. They're just a rip-off!

Then again, I guess I could just use a $15 black and white TV and save a FORTUNE vs. my 61" 16x9 widescreen. Hell, it came with a DirecTV HDTV tuner built-in for about $5000.

Guess that extra $4985 just got me screwed huh?

Craash
09-11-2004, 08:01 PM

Skip,

That's pretty harsh. IF they are unpopular, it because they still cost $299 for NEW customers. See here. (http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/NewHardwareHome.do) Add a $1000 for the HDDVR via Directv and you have an expensive setup.

Now, lets talk cable. HD Cost Hardware cost - Nada. HD DVR cost - $10 per month. Now, in some areas (not sure about AR, when I was stationed there they did even HAVE tv ROFL ) the little dishes are a much better option for HDTV. But, in the Kanas City area, it's hard to beat TWC, which is what this tread's topic is about in the firstplace.

Skip Towne
09-11-2004, 08:05 PM
$10/mo extra for 14 channels of the best damn picture I've ever seen. I sure took it in the a** on that one.
I believe you are forgetting the $3000+ you paid to get ready for it. Please try to keep up.

Craash
09-11-2004, 08:06 PM
I believe you are forgetting the $3000+ you paid to get ready for it. Please try to keep up.

We each spend out disposable income in whatever way we choose. You can now buy a 30" HDTV for under $700.

Skip Towne
09-11-2004, 08:08 PM
ROFL!!!

That's like my grandma asking my why I needed power locks and windows on my vehicle. They're just a rip-off!

Then again, I guess I could just use a $15 black and white TV and save a FORTUNE vs. my 61" 16x9 widescreen. Hell, it came with a DirecTV HDTV tuner built-in for about $5000.

Guess that extra $4985 just got me screwed huh?
Nice analogy. But very far from what we are talking about. You get a little better picture for a hell of a lot more money. And you paid $5000 for power locks and windows? Yes, you are a fool.

DRU
09-11-2004, 08:09 PM

Dude, you're crazy. I've got a 27" LCD TV that I use as my computer monitor AND my tv. HD..capture card in my computer which allows for captures...which is how I do my clips by the way...300GB of HD space, 1GB RAM, and all of that together didn't cost $3k.

Sounds like you're the one getting screwed here.

ENDelt260
09-11-2004, 08:13 PM
The extra cost to the cable company ain't where the problem is.

I'm not gonna drop a grand or two on a new TV... just so I can watch an additional EIGHT channels that have a prettier picture. Oh, and of course, my TiVo doesn't work with HiDef, so I'd have to run the TiVo into one input on the TV, and a direct line from the HD cable box in. And, if I wanted to watch HD, I'd have to switch away from the hundreds of Tivo-enhanced channels to a mere eight channels of HD. Hopefully there's something on at that point in time I wanna see. I'm at the mercy of the schedulers at that point. And, I won't be able to pause, ff through commercials, etc.

The TiVo lovefest I understand. It's completely changed the way I watch TV. HD? A prettier picture, on a small number of channels, with an exorbinant cost for hardware. No, not even close to worth it.

Craash
09-11-2004, 08:13 PM
This came from directv's website.
---
ENJOY AN INCREDIBLE HOME THEATER EXPERIENCE

You'll see the puck, the sweat, even the seams on the curveball. You'll be moved again by your favorite movies with details you've never seen before. You'll go from ordinary to extraordinary in over two million pixels:

Enjoy 10 times the pixels of ordinary TV - clear pictures, vibrant colors and wider images.

--

Wow, 10 times. Sure seems like more than "a little better picture".

Skip, don't you have some kind of business relationship with the guys that run that website, and make that statment?

Source (http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/HDTV_why.dsp)

Skip Towne
09-11-2004, 08:14 PM
Dude, you're crazy. I've got a 30" LCD TV that I use as my computer monitor AND my tv. HD..capture card in my computer which allows for captures...which is how I do my clips by the way...300GB of HD space, 1GB RAM, and all of that together didn't cost $3k.

Sounds like you're the one getting screwed here.
No, I don't think I'm crazy. I think you are ignorant. Unlurking just admitted he paid $5000 for his setup and the people I've installed have paid about the same. You are a genious. You can do it for one tenth what everyone else can. If you're happy, great. I'm going back to my ballgame and won't argue with you anymore.

unlurking
09-11-2004, 08:16 PM
Nice analogy. But very far from what we are talking about. You get a little better picture for a hell of a lot more money. And you paid $5000 for power locks and windows? Yes, you are a fool.
OK Skip, I guess the analogy wasn't detailed enough.

To me, it's like the difference between buying a Yugo and a Chevy (notice I didn't even go Caddy here).

If you want to drive around in a piece of crap because it saves you money, fine. I myself work hard, and will treat myself to some of the luxuries in life. Since I was buying a big screen anyway, and 16x9 was an important feature for me, going HD was a minminal upgrade cost.

It didn't cost me anywhere near $3000. The non-HD systems I was looking at were all about $4500 WITHOUT a built-in DTV tuner.

ENDelt260
09-11-2004, 08:18 PM
Your $10 per month is a drop in the bucket to what it cost you to get ready for it.

Bingo. I don't understand this focus on the service cost. The hit is the hardware.

And, for me personally, an added cost is abandoning TiVo-style viewing.

Hell, when I record things on my TiVo, I record them at the highest compression/lowest quality. So, the picture is significantly, noticeably, worse than what is being delivered by digi cable to begin with. I think it's clear where my priorities on.

When HD TV's are more popular, and have come down in price to something reasonable. And more channels are broadcasting in HD than aren't. And a good DVR is HD compatible. Then, I'll jump on. Until that happens, it's just a novelty. A ridiculously goddammed expensive novelty.

ENDelt260
09-11-2004, 08:18 PM
Uh...it didn't cost me anything to get ready for it. They came and gave me my box and my cable modem and they left with a check for the pro-rated first month. Next month I begin paying in full. So I still don't know where all these extra fees you speak of come into play.
Did you steal the TV?

unlurking
09-11-2004, 08:19 PM
The extra cost to the cable company ain't where the problem is.

I'm not gonna drop a grand or two on a new TV... just so I can watch an additional EIGHT channels that have a prettier picture. Oh, and of course, my TiVo doesn't work with HiDef, so I'd have to run the TiVo into one input on the TV, and a direct line from the HD cable box in. And, if I wanted to watch HD, I'd have to switch away from the hundreds of Tivo-enhanced channels to a mere eight channels of HD. Hopefully there's something on at that point in time I wanna see. I'm at the mercy of the schedulers at that point. And, I won't be able to pause, ff through commercials, etc.

The TiVo lovefest I understand. It's completely changed the way I watch TV. HD? A prettier picture, on a small number of channels, with an exorbinant cost for hardware. No, not even close to worth it.
You do realize that you can see "almost" every NFL game in HD with DTV this year?

Besides, HD was crowned the format of the future. If you are buying non-HD now, you should EXPECT to have to replace it. Whether you do that now, or 5 years from now, that's your choice. The truth is that you WILL.

DRU
09-11-2004, 08:20 PM
No, I don't think I'm crazy. I think you are ignorant. Unlurking just admitted he paid $5000 for his setup and the people I've installed have paid about the same. You are a genious. You can do it for one tenth what everyone else can. If you're happy, great. I'm going back to my ballgame and won't argue with you anymore.

Go to www.pcconnection.com right now and take a look at the Syntax Olevia LCD TV's. 27" and 20" for under $1500.00. My computer I built myself and got all the parts from Dave at Payless Computers on Wornall Rd. He'll hook ya up if you're a frequent visitor. I'm not ignorant. I know what hardware is worth.

Craash
I'm not gonna drop a grand or two on a new TV...

'Delt,

I can actually understand this stance. $700, $1000, or $10,000 grand means different things to different people. If you have a fairly new TV, and you don't have any desire to replace it, I wouldn't try to talk you into it. I'm sure you spend money in areas that would have no appeal to me. Myself, I love tech stuff. Always have. This pc I'm typing on is a 925x chipset. Too new to be cost effective? You bet. Expensive? You bet. Will I replace it the first time something better comes along? You bet.

My Home Theater has a dedicated room, and close to 10 grand in electronics. I watch it once a week or so during the off season (twins, don't forget). Much more during the season.

Money, I can understand, this is totally different than coming in and arguing the tech specs of HDTV (picture quality) which is not a smart battle to pick.

Skip Towne
We each spend out disposable income in whatever way we choose. You can now buy a 30" HDTV for under $700.
And expect another $300 for the Directv receiver. The standard one is free. The HD setup is rapidly getting cheaper and cheaper. They have already milked the fools and are now having to get real as people realize it isn't all that great.

ENDelt260
to me the upgrade is similar between digital and hd as compared to digital over analog its just that much better.

I'd say the diff between HD and normal digi cable is much greater than the diff between digi and analog cable. I don't notice any difference between digi and analog at all.

ENDelt260
09-11-2004, 08:21 PM

Not to sound like your grandma... but, why do ya need power locks? It's a luxury item. Not a "need".

DRU
09-11-2004, 08:22 PM
Ok, well the 30" is $1699, but the 27" is $1299.99. I work at Deal Express too. We sell a shit ton of Plasmas and LCD tvs and this has just as good a picture as any I've seen...Sharp, Panasonic, Viewsonic, etc.

unlurking
09-11-2004, 08:22 PM
Bingo. I don't understand this focus on the service cost. The hit is the hardware.

And, for me personally, an added cost is abandoning TiVo-style viewing.

Hell, when I record things on my TiVo, I record them at the highest compression/lowest quality. So, the picture is significantly, noticeably, worse than what is being delivered by digi cable to begin with. I think it's clear where my priorities on.

When HD TV's are more popular, and have come down in price to something reasonable. And more channels are broadcasting in HD than aren't. And a good DVR is HD compatible. Then, I'll jump on. Until that happens, it's just a novelty. A ridiculously goddammed expensive novelty.
A Lamborghini may be classified as a ridiculously god-damned expensive novelty as well, but if I had the $$$$ for it, I'd by it.

For me, I was buying a new big screen at the time, and it was a very minimal cost extra.

ENDelt260
09-11-2004, 08:24 PM
You can now buy a 30" HDTV for under $700.

That's good to hear.

All the same... my current TV is working a-okay. I can't justify dropping $700 on a brand new TV for 8 new channels with a prettier picture and no TiVo functionality.

OTOH, driving over to my buddy's house to watch football on his HD big screen will cost me a few minutes travel time, and maybe a twelver. THAT'S a cost for HD I'm willing to pay.

DRU
09-11-2004, 08:24 PM
That's the thing too...of course you wouldn't go buy a brand new expensive TV simply for HD. But you've got a TV with HD...or if you're getting one anyway...because you want the TV...then yeah, HD is well worth the money and a much better picture. In fact...if you're not gonna use the HD...I think you're wasting your money on the TV to not even use it to its fullest.

Craash
09-11-2004, 08:26 PM
And expect another $300 for the Directv receiver. The standard one is free. The HD setup is rapidly getting cheaper and cheaper. They have already milked the fools and are now having to get real as people realize it isn't all that great.

This is why I'm with TWC. No price difference between the HD Box and the normal box.

Skip, I'm just amazed. I know we've talked in past about HD and Directv in general, and you've always seemed level headed and reasonable. I'm not questioning the cost, but to say it "isn't all that great" just seems like an off the wall statement. It makes me question if you've seen a full bandwidth HDTV stream on proper equipment during one of your handfull of HDTV Dish installs.

ENDelt260
09-11-2004, 08:27 PM
Since I was buying a big screen anyway

If I was in the market for a big screen right now, I'd get a HDTV, too. It'd be stupid not to.

That said, I'm not in the market for a new TV right now. And the benefits of HD don't come close to the costs, so I won't be running to Circuit City any time soon.

unlurking
09-11-2004, 08:27 PM
Well since you're calling me a fool, I guess all just call you the old fart who can't see without his glasses and has to close the shades to keep the bald form glaring on his TV.

:(

How'd you find the Intarweb?!

Great - grandson buy you a 'puter?

"Damn those HDD's over 1.5GB are such a waste a money ya stupid fool dangnabit yungsters!!! Why don't you go back to usin' 5 1/4's?!?!"

ENDelt260
09-11-2004, 08:29 PM
You do realize that you can see "almost" every NFL game in HD with DTV this year?

a) I don't have DirecTV
b) I only give a shit about Chiefs games
c) So what? I'm not suffering with the picture quality of games I'm receiving right now.

Besides, HD was crowned the format of the future. If you are buying non-HD now, you should EXPECT to have to replace it. Whether you do that now, or 5 years from now, that's your choice. The truth is that you WILL.

That's the point. I'm not buying SHIT right now. I don't need a new TV.

Craash
09-11-2004, 08:29 PM
That's good to hear.

All the same... my current TV is working a-okay. I can't justify dropping $700 on a brand new TV for 8 new channels with a prettier picture and no TiVo functionality.

OTOH, driving over to my buddy's house to watch football on his HD big screen will cost me a few minutes travel time, and maybe a twelver. THAT'S a cost for HD I'm willing to pay.

If you were closer to KC, I'd provide the HDTV, the leather seating, the beer, and the flipping weaner dog for your lap. Just leave my wife alone. ROFL

Seriously, if you're ever up this way, look me up. If I can't convince you, you can take the leftover beer home.

As far as the TIVO, it would still work just the same as it does now. No lost functionality (you can't record HDTV now) no additional functionality.

unlurking
09-11-2004, 08:30 PM
If I was in the market for a big screen right now, I'd get a HDTV, too. It'd be stupid not to.

That said, I'm not in the market for a new TV right now. And the benefits of HD don't come close to the costs, so I won't be running to Circuit City any time soon.
I can understand that. I really want a new truck, but at the moment, I can't really justify it. But when I do go get a new one, it will definitely have all the bells and whistles!

:D

ENDelt260
09-11-2004, 08:30 PM
Money, I can understand, this is totally different than coming in and arguing the tech specs of HDTV (picture quality) which is not a smart battle to pick.

I never did.

ENDelt260
09-11-2004, 08:31 PM
A Lamborghini may be classified as a ridiculously god-damned expensive novelty as well, but if I had the $$$$ for it, I'd by it.

If a Lamborghini could only drive in a 3 block radius of your house and you still had to drive your Chevy everywhere else, you'd have a solid comparison.

Craash
09-11-2004, 08:33 PM
I never did.

I wasn't pointing that one at you. :-) Again, I totally understand your position.

ENDelt260
09-11-2004, 08:34 PM
As far as the TIVO, it would still work just the same as it does now. No lost functionality (you can't record HDTV now) no additional functionality.

Oh, I understand my TiVo will still work the same on the non-HD channels. My point is, then I have to choose: pretty picture, or TiVo style viewing. I prefer TiVo style viewing.

unlurking
09-11-2004, 08:35 PM
If a Lamborghini could only drive in a 3 block radius of your house and you still had to drive your Chevy everywhere else, you'd have a solid comparison.
Oh, well I guess to me it is a solid comparison because the lambo would be a "weekend" vehicle!

:D

EDIT: I guess since most my TV watching occurs on a 20" (kitchen and home office) or 27" (bedroom) non-HD, it is a VERY solid comparison.

ENDelt260
09-11-2004, 08:37 PM
Something I do find odd... and almost not related to this conversation.

I've known the buddy in question for about a year. He's had this same big screen that whole time (and presumably, quite a while before I knew him). He just recently got the HD cable box. I'd never even noticed his big screen was an HD tv before.

I think Cox charges something like $5/month more for HD service. I don't get why if a person was already susbscribing to digi cable, and already has a HD big screen, one would wait so long to get the HD channels.... I really gotta remember to ask him about that next time I see him.

Craash
09-11-2004, 08:38 PM
Oh, I understand my TiVo will still work the same on the non-HD channels. My point is, then I have to choose: pretty picture, or TiVo style viewing. I prefer TiVo style viewing.

And here, folks, is the real issue. People have different preferences. For some, picture quality is not a top issue. They use the highest compression setting on the TIVO for more content and are totally happy with it. Myself, I actually moved my Series 1 tivo (with two 250GB drives installed) upstairs into the spare bedroom because I couldn't stand the lose of picture quality.

Neither is right, neither is wrong. My issue is that ISN'T what this thread was supposed to be about.

---
500GB Tivo for sale.

morphius
09-11-2004, 08:38 PM
I can see someone saying that HDTV isn't worth the money, but damn, the picture not being that different? The only thing I can think of for Skip saying what he is, is that people have to pay out the butt to upgrade their Sat and Box to be able to handle HDTV, so they are already unhappy.

Oh well, I'm not going to get into this whole mess again if I can help it.

ENDelt260
09-11-2004, 08:39 PM
My issue is that ISN'T what this thread was supposed to be about.

Heh. Um, sorry about that. After seeing my buddy's HD, and knowing about the lovefest some on here have for HD, I was contemplating starting a "I don't think HD is that big a deal" thread... then, I saw yours and said to myself, "Oh, here's an HD thread."

Phobia
09-11-2004, 08:40 PM
Craash,
First Down Elvis and I may require some convincing. We think HDTV is complete garbage. We'll be over tomorrow night for the game. Don't buy any brews. We'll bring enough for all of us. Please PM your address and phone number.

Craash
09-11-2004, 08:42 PM
Phob,

You'd just bring me down.

Phobia
09-11-2004, 08:43 PM
Phob,

You'd just bring me down.

I knew it. You're worried your wife would be all over me. I guess I can't blame you.

Skip Towne
09-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Well since you're calling me a fool, I guess all just call you the old fart who can't see without his glasses and has to close the shades to keep the bald form glaring on his TV.

How'd you find the Intarweb?!

Great - grandson buy you a 'puter?

"Damn those HDD's over 1.5GB are such a waste a money ya stupid fool dangnabit yungsters!!! Why don't you go back to usin' 5 1/4's?!?!"
Hey, you don't spell very well. Bald form? I guess "all just call you... How can you expect me to take you seriously? You're trying to be funny but are exposing your ignorance. And yes, you got ****ed.

Craash
09-11-2004, 08:45 PM
Heh. Um, sorry about that. After seeing my buddy's HD, and knowing about the lovefest some on here have for HD, I was contemplating starting a "I don't think HD is that big a deal" thread... then, I saw yours and said to myself, "Oh, here's an HD thread."

I do think that the location (provider) makes a HUGE difference. In this area, Cox would fall behind Diretv, and possible even Dish (both of which are behind TWC) in HD offerings. Although this COULD be part of the issue, I'll fall back on my previous post were I commented that for some people picture quality just isn't a big deal.

Craash
09-11-2004, 08:47 PM
Wow, this keeps going, and I'll have my first 100+ post thread in the 3+ years I've been here.

Skip Towne
09-11-2004, 08:48 PM
Craash,
First Down Elvis and I may require some convincing. We think HDTV is complete garbage. We'll be over tomorrow night for the game. Don't buy any brews. We'll bring enough for all of us. Please PM your address and phone number.
Exactly!! Uh-oh, halftimes over gotta go.

Craash
09-11-2004, 08:49 PM
I knew it. You're worried your wife would be all over me. I guess I can't blame you.

Only if you spilled on the rug. :-)

Are you really interested in checking the game out in HD? I already have plans for this weekend (opening game, and all) but we could work out something for one of the away games, if you were "HD curious".

Craash
09-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Exactly!! Uh-oh, halftimes over gotta go.

Skip,

I think you missed the intent of that post. ROFL

Phobia
09-11-2004, 08:51 PM
Emma & Jake are growing up. Been a while since I've dropped in. I guess I thought they were older than my most recent addition.

Craash
09-11-2004, 08:52 PM
Emma & Jake are growing up. Been a while since I've dropped in. I guess I thought they were older than my most recent addition.

How old is your's now? We're at 15 months. Crazy around here.

-edit

Changed "are" to "is". Not everyone has twins. :banghead:

Phobia
09-11-2004, 08:54 PM
Only if you spilled on the rug. :-)

Are you really interested in checking the game out in HD? I already have plans for this weekend (opening game, and all) but we could work out something for one of the away games, if you were "HD curious".

I was only giving you hell, but I'd sure like to check out a game in HD if you're inviting. If ya wanna, I could bring the kiddo/wife and let the kids play for a while. If you remember, my Reese is 15 months old. Hell, I dunno. You decide who you wanna invite. It's your home. No worries either way.

Skip Towne
09-11-2004, 08:55 PM
Skip,

I think you missed the intent of that post. ROFL
Well, you can't blame me for that. I'm retarded. I get told so over and over here on the Planet. So it must be true.

Craash
09-11-2004, 08:56 PM
I was only giving you hell, but I'd sure like to check out a game in HD if you're inviting. If ya wanna, I could bring the kiddo/wife and let the kids play for a while. If you remember, my Reese is 15 months old. Hell, I dunno. You decide who you wanna invite. It's your home. No worries either way.

Yea, let's set it up. Sounds like the kids are close in age. I'll throw some brisket on, and we'll do it right.

unlurking
Hey, you don't spell very well. Bald form? I guess "all just call you... How can you expect me to take you seriously? You're trying to be funny but are exposing your ignorance. And yes, you got ****ed.
It takes a bad poisiton to break out spelling errors as an argument point.

Very disappointed ST.

Maybe if you did more with your life you could afford to get ***ked as well?

Maybe I should say Lamar got ***ked buy hiring CP and never winning a SB ring. Oh well, I dream of the days I get ***ked like that and waste money on a football franchise.

:shrug:

Phobia
Well, you can't blame me for that. I'm retarded. I get told so over and over here on the Planet. So it must be true.

Really? I had no idea. Maybe we can set up a retard forum or something. Wouldn't that be a nice public service?

Craash
09-11-2004, 08:59 PM

I've never said that. I actually said I was amazed (perhaps confused would have been better) by you choice to dismiss HD picture quality as "just a little bit better than digital". I've never had an issue with you, and I still don't, just with the technical aspects of this particular stance you've taken. Regardless, at the end of the day, it's just a 'net forum, and we're just talking about a tv picture.

Phobia
09-11-2004, 09:01 PM
Yea, let's set it up. Sounds like the kids are close in age. I'll throw some brisket on, and we'll do it right.

Okay - I'm looking at my schedule and it appears as though the next 5 years are wide open.... :banghead: Heh heh - it sucks moving to a new town, fwiw. My wife is back in Houston this weekend and I'm just now realizing what a big loser I am. She's at a huge pool party drinking Margeritas with all our friends and I'm sitting at home browsing the internet.

Heh heh - I'm good for any away game except for tomorrow night. I'll be watching on First Down Elvis' new screen.

Craash
09-11-2004, 09:01 PM
It takes a bad poisiton to break out spelling errors as an argument point.

Very disappointed ST.

Maybe if you did more with your life you could afford to get ***ked as well?

Maybe I should say Lamar got ***ked buy hiring CP and never winning a SB ring. Oh well, I dream of the days I get ***ked like that and waste money on a football franchise.

:shrug:

Dammit Carl! :cuss:

I've always wanted to do that. ;-)

Craash
09-11-2004, 09:02 PM
Okay - I'm looking at my schedule and it appears as though the next 5 years are wide open.... :banghead: Heh heh - it sucks moving to a new town, fwiw. My wife is back in Houston this weekend and I'm just now realizing what a big loser I am. She's at a huge pool party drinking Margeritas with all our friends and I'm sitting at home browsing the internet.

Heh heh - I'm good for any away game except for tomorrow night. I'll be watching on First Down Elvis' new screen.

Cool. When the wife gets back home, check with her and I'll do the same. Send me a PM and we'll get the ball rolling.

Phobia
09-11-2004, 09:02 PM
I've never said that. I actually said I was amazed (perhaps confused would have been better) by you choice to dismiss HD picture quality as "just a little bit better than digital". I've never had an issue with you, and I still don't, just with the technical aspects of this particular stance you've taken. Regardless, at the end of the day, it's just a 'net forum, and we're just talking about a tv picture.

Stop taking SkipT seriously. He's not pissed at you. Just laugh at him. That's what he wants.

ENDelt260
09-11-2004, 09:05 PM
I will say this.... when you're watching a D'Backs game, and the image on the... I'm not sure how big my buddy's HD big screen is.... is a closeup of Randy Johnson's face. You realize a crisper picture isn't always a good thing.

Craash
Stop taking SkipT seriously. He's not pissed at you. Just laugh at him. That's what he wants.

I normally would have thought so too. But, I know when you mess with a man's means of making a living, things can get out of hand.

Anyways, I'm out for a while.

Later.

Skip Towne
Hehe

Craash
09-11-2004, 09:06 PM
I will say this.... when you're watching a D'Backs game, and the image on the... I'm not sure how big my buddy's HD big screen is.... is a closeup of Randy Johnson's face. You realize a crisper picture isn't always a good thing.

No arguments here. HD Porn would also put alot of currently working actors in the unemployment line.

ENDelt260
09-11-2004, 09:07 PM
How sweet. Craash and Phob made a love connection.

Craash
09-11-2004, 09:09 PM

No words. :cuss:

But, I have a hottie wife upstairs who is waiting. Don't wait on me.

Phobia
09-11-2004, 09:10 PM

Well, we do have a lot in common. We both have hot wives who find me to be incredibly sexy.

Skip Towne
09-11-2004, 09:11 PM
I just wish they wouldn't do it on this board. Especially while I'm eating.

ENDelt260
09-11-2004, 09:12 PM
Hot chicks with vision problems, huh?

How do they manage to keep their driver licenses without having corrective vision suggested?

unlurking
09-11-2004, 09:12 PM
I normally would have thought so too. But, I know when you mess with a man's means of making a living, things can get out of hand.

Anyways, I'm out for a while.

Later.
So as well can calling a man a fool.

Then again, I did let it get the best of me.

ST-

My apologies for the attacks. I don't know anything about you other than our disagreement in how a fool and his money may be parted.

I believe you owe me a shot back, but I'm stopping now before I make a bigger fool of myself. Again, sorry for acting like a jerk.

KC Kings
09-11-2004, 09:14 PM
I do think that the location (provider) makes a HUGE difference. In this area, Cox would fall behind Diretv, and possible even Dish (both of which are behind TWC) in HD offerings. Although this COULD be part of the issue, I'll fall back on my previous post were I commented that for some people picture quality just isn't a big deal.
The picture quality has a lot to do with the channel also. Obviously if the show was not filmed with HD cameras the quality is not going to be that much better. However, TNT HD on Time Warner will show movies from the 80's, and the picture quality is awesome. Even "The Dirty Dozen" looks better than digital on TNT, but the same non-HD movies shown on HBOHD or INHD1 or 2 don't look that impressive.

I didn't read through the post, (Just came on to make sure the word was out on ESPNHD before tomorrows game), so I don't know if there is a serious question about the quality or if this is just bickering. I have a 55" Mitsubishi Diamond WS, and have had 30+ people watch HD NFL/NBA games on it. There has not been a single person that was not amazed by the clarity and quality of the picture.

Skip Towne
09-11-2004, 09:27 PM
I'm amazed at this announcement. Like it is something new. Directv had this service a year ago. Just another case of cable dragging far, far behind. Valiant and Top Jet shouldn't be far behind to tell us how superior cable is. Never mind neither one of them can put together a complete sentence.

morphius
09-11-2004, 09:31 PM
I'm amazed at this announcement. Like it is something new. Directv had this service a year ago. Just another case of cable dragging far, far behind. Valiant and Top Jet shouldn't be far behind to tell us how superior cable is. Never mind neither one of them can put together a complete sentence.
Kind of like someone telling me that regular Directtv is close to watching HDTV :D

I think I may just switch back to 800X600 on my computer monitor to remind myself that there is no big difference with resolutions...

TopJet2
09-11-2004, 09:33 PM
Hey Skip, were you an English teacher in a past life or what? Maybe dtv's high def service just sucks a$$. That is a plausible explanation to your poor opinion of high defenition picture quality.

Skip Towne
09-11-2004, 09:39 PM
Hey Skip, were you an English teacher in a past life or what? Maybe dtv's high def service just sucks a$$. That is a plausible explanation to your poor opinion of high defenition picture quality.
English teacher? Hahaha How does that pertain to the subject? Your post makes no sense. Please explain. Well, I do have a college degree and I'd bet $1000 that you don't.

TopJet2
09-11-2004, 09:41 PM
Aren't you the one complaing about my grammar? or run on sentences and such stuff as that there as breaking a rule somewhere taught to me by an english teacher!.'

Skip Towne
09-11-2004, 09:45 PM
Aren't you the one complaing about my grammar? or run on sentences and such stuff as that there as breaking a rule somewhere taught to me by an english teacher!.'
I'm not sure if it was me or not. A lot of people on here laugh at your posts. How can I be sure?

Skip Towne
09-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Dammit, I forgot to call you an idiot that time, you idiot.

TopJet2
09-11-2004, 09:55 PM
You're on the planet a lot tonight, whats wrong the dishes need washed or what.:p

Skip Towne
09-11-2004, 09:59 PM
You're on the planet a lot tonight, whats wrong the dishes need washed or what.:p
Dishes need washed? Where did that come from? Are you really that hurting for subject matter? You are even dumber than I thought.

TopJet2
09-11-2004, 10:02 PM
No, not dumb apparently my sense of humor and yours are not compatible. I just figured your dtv was off and needed a good cleaning. hehe
Serious question for you though, are dtv installers contractors or employees of the various companies selling them?

Skip Towne
09-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Valiant should be along shortly to spew some of his ignorance. Him and Top Jet are the only two on this board that try to defend the shit that is cable . And only because they work for cable which in and of itself testifies to their ignorance. Keep it up boys, your ignorance is documented.

TopJet2
09-11-2004, 10:07 PM
are you gonna answer my question

Skip Towne
09-11-2004, 10:10 PM
are you gonna answer my question
You have a question? It was hard to pick out of your ignorant rambling.

TopJet2
09-11-2004, 10:13 PM
You're just a grumpy ol prick aren't you. Question in #112.

KevB
09-11-2004, 10:13 PM
This has to be one of the funniest threads I've ever read. I saw that it was about ESPN HD, and wondered how in the world it could be multiple pages. Well, it's been a slice of heaven. It starts with legit discussion about the merits of HD, and spirals into direct insults like idiot, retard, age bashing, redneck bashing, and then a grand finale makeup.

Just great stuff....

TopJet2
09-11-2004, 10:17 PM
A satellite installer from Arkansas..... does it get more redneck than that?

Skip Towne
09-11-2004, 10:30 PM
A satellite installer from Arkansas..... does it get more redneck than that?
Top Jet. I find that quite humorous. You aren't Top anything. You are an ignorant cable guy who isn't smart enough to do satellite. Hey, where is the ped. I dunno where is it? It's wherever I SAY IT IS. Not with you though, is it. I have a college degree and I run my own business. You are a dropout who works for the wage they decide you're worth. Which is not much. I haven't met a cable guy yet that could spell his name.

Miles
09-11-2004, 10:39 PM
Just wanted to point out another advantage of HD sets. If you are into home theater you can hookup a DVD player that has a DVI out and it upscale it to 1080i. Its not true HD but it looks significantly sharper than standard 480 DVD resolution.

Also as far as Tivo goes many cable companies in large cities are starting to offer HD DVR's.

TopJet2
09-11-2004, 11:57 PM
Hey skippy I can spell my name C A B L E G O D!!!:p

KChiefs1
09-12-2004, 04:41 PM
Several of my customers must need their eyes checked too. I've had several of them say "That's it?" after I convert them over. I wouldn't pay $50 for it over Directv standard.

You need the Directv HD receiver! Holy Shit you sell the damn things & you don't know what you are selling?:banghead:

KChiefs1
09-12-2004, 04:58 PM
If you want to drive around in a piece of crap because it saves you money, fine. I myself work hard, and will treat myself to some of the luxuries in life. Since I was buying a big screen anyway, and 16x9 was an important feature for me, going HD was a minminal upgrade cost.

It didn't cost me anywhere near $3000. The non-HD systems I was looking at were all about $4500 WITHOUT a built-in DTV tuner.

Exactly!:toast:

I bought my 65" 16x9 tv mainly because I needed a big screen & was told by very reliable sources that the regular 4x3 sets were going to be obsolete & that the high definition for sports was amazing. Sure it was a few dollars more($3000), but I've had this setup for a couple of years now & I love it. All I needed was the Directv HD receiver & I was ready to go...$11/month for HD package(which I wish had more channels) is awesome. NFL Sunday Ticket now offers 5-9 games each week in HD now too. Most of the network primetime shows are in HD now too.

It's been well worth the money to me!