PDA

View Full Version : The most important match-up

the Talking Can
09-11-2004, 10:43 PM
Hicks vs. Foster

Foster's first game....Hicks HAS to dominate him.

Hicks has to prove that it was just GRs scheme, and he has to shut down the bootleg/roll out.....Hicks more than any other player (well, Sims) can disrupt the Denver offense.

If Hicks plays like he played in preseason and rattles the rookie early, then our D will be successful

what's your key match-up???

LVNHACK
09-11-2004, 10:48 PM
The Chiefs O-line vs dungvers front 7. The new nasty attitude brought to the whole team by Gunther shows here and the O-line dominates.

unlurking
09-11-2004, 10:49 PM
Welbourne vs. Pryce

the Talking Can
09-11-2004, 10:51 PM
Welbourne vs. Pryce

ah, yes...this will be key too...I think Welbourne will settle in as the game progresses, but early on it may be a problem...he has the talent but the position is still too new...

the Talking Can
09-11-2004, 10:52 PM
The Chiefs O-line vs dungvers front 7. The new nasty attitude brought to the whole team by Gunther shows here and the O-line dominates.

no one talks about it...but I think Denver's DL is weaker than last year

Count Alex's Losses
No, it's Holliday vs Lepsis. Holliday needs to kick Lepsis first-time-at-left-tackle ass. He needs to earn his damn mon-ay.

If the Chiefs win on third down, they win the game.

Chiefs Pantalones
Both Oline and Dline vs. each other's Oline and Dline.

It all starts and ends with the lines. We win at the line on both sides, then we'll come out of Arizona with a victory.

LVNHACK
09-11-2004, 10:54 PM
You could also say Tony G. vs Lynch. Tony having a big game early moves Lynch out of the "box" opening up running lanes.

milkman
09-11-2004, 10:55 PM

After reading Talking Can's post, I thought about this for a minute as the key matchup, but dismissed it almost immediately, because, even without the attidude, this O-Line still dominates the Donkey D-Line.

They are simply the best.

My second thought was Wellbourne and Pryce, and it still rates high on my list of key matchups.

But the biggest matchup, IMO, will be our D-Line against the Donkey O-Line.
If they can occupy the blockers, then Biesel's inexperience becomes less of a handicap, and he and the OLBers will be free to make plays.

Count Alex's Losses
09-11-2004, 10:55 PM
we'll come out of Arizona with a victory.

ROFL

VonneMarie
09-11-2004, 10:56 PM
Injuries vs. Chiefs. I just keep thinking about Priest.

Or

Dante Hall vs. Denvers speacial teams.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-11-2004, 10:57 PM
You could also say Tony G. vs Lynch. Tony having a big game early moves Lynch out of the "box" opening up running lanes.

Yep.

And you see, this is another reason why I think the Chiefs will win. There are more scenarios where we could exploit their team, than ours. They just don't have enough talent on O. They have talent on D, but it won't be enough to stop our O.

the Talking Can
09-11-2004, 11:00 PM
yeah. Lynch vs' Tony is a huge advantage to us....Lynch is still a big hitter but he has lost a step

our OL vs their DL....advantage us,especially the left side of our line....Roaf/Waters/Weigmann will destroy Ellis and Johnson

Bailey vs. Kennison...Bailey

Dante vs. ????......Dante

Trent vs. Plummber.....huge advantage KC

If our DL plays well we will win big-time....if they run on us it will be a nail-biter

LVNHACK
09-11-2004, 11:02 PM
Yep.

And you see, this is another reason why I think the Chiefs will win. There are more scenarios where we could exploit their team, than ours. They just don't have enough talent on O. They have talent on D, but it won't be enough to stop our O.

Do we really know how talented their D is....?????....They've got one talented down lineman. Other then Wilson are their LB's that good...??? Can Skye's play the whole game without being hurt....????.....OK they's got good CB's, 1 good safety and one old rickety one......If we have to worry about their most talented group the DB's I'm more then happy.

LVNHACK
09-11-2004, 11:05 PM
And let's not forget they lost Portis. They've got a new oline. Anderson is on IR. Rod Smith is older, Lelie hasn't stepped up. I'm not that worried.

Count Alex's Losses
09-11-2004, 11:06 PM
And let's not forget they lost Portis. They've got a new oline. Anderson is on IR. Rod Smith is older, Lelie hasn't stepped up. I'm not that worried.

RATIONALIZE! RATIONALIZE!!! ROFL

the Talking Can
09-11-2004, 11:10 PM
Do we really know how talented their D is....?????....They've got one talented down lineman. Other then Wilson are their LB's that good...??? Can Skye's play the whole game without being hurt....????.....OK they's got good CB's, 1 good safety and one old rickety one......If we have to worry about their most talented group the DB's I'm more then happy.

i've hesistated to say it...but I don't think they'll be as good as last year...still very good but borderline top 10...too many new faces...Berry gone, Gold gone....Lynch/Ellis/Johnson are used up vets....rookie LB....who knows

Chiefs Pantalones
09-11-2004, 11:11 PM
I think the only thing we have to be concerned about is the opening moments of the game. That being, both Denver's first possession on D, and their first possession on O. If we survive the opening emotion (opening night, Invesco field, hearts pumping, adrenaline, etc) we'll be fine and we should go on and win the game. No excuses. Winning on the road is tough, especially against a divisional opponent, but we gotta stop dilly dallying around and beat some ass like champions.

Count Alex's Losses
09-11-2004, 11:36 PM
I think the only thing we have to be concerned about is the opening moments of the game. That being, both Denver's first possession on D, and their first possession on O. If we survive the opening emotion (opening night, Invesco field, hearts pumping, adrenaline, etc) we'll be fine and we should go on and win the game. No excuses. Winning on the road is tough, especially against a divisional opponent, but we gotta stop dilly dallying around and beat some ass like champions.

We survived it last year. The key is keep consistency in the second half.

AZChief
09-11-2004, 11:39 PM
very simply, we must stop Denver's running game and not allow any of their backs to get "big plays*"!

*defined as 20+ yards...

Chiefs Pantalones
09-11-2004, 11:39 PM
We survived it last year. The key is keep consistency in the second half.

The difference is opening day/night. That's an awesome thing. We've learned from last year, I'd think, about the second half inconsistency, the key is to stop their best shot on the opening series, then the rest is milk and cookies.

I agree with you, I just think it's a different story on opening night. Even the worst teams play best in those first couple of series at home due to the crunk in the air, the crowd, etc.

Toad
09-11-2004, 11:46 PM
i've hesistated to say it...but I don't think they'll be as good as last year...still very good but borderline top 10...too many new faces...Berry gone, Gold gone....Lynch/Ellis/Johnson are used up vets....rookie LB....who knows

I agree. Just like on the offensive side of the ball where Denver simply can't easily replace 1,500 yard 15TD rusher in Portis...it will be hard for them to replace a double digit sacker RDE in Berry. He's looked good in the preseason for Houston. I think they will really miss him accross the entire season.

Toad

htismaqe
09-12-2004, 06:51 AM
very simply, we must stop Denver's running game and not allow any of their backs to get "big plays*"!

*defined as 20+ yards...

Unfortunately, that may not be possible. Big plays are a byproduct of Gunther's style of defense.

The key is that the 20 plays leading up to the big play need to net about 20 yards, instead of 200 like last year.