PDA

View Full Version : Blast, Mushroom Cloud Reported in N. Korea

DenverChief
09-11-2004, 10:06 PM
SEOUL, South Korea - A large explosion occurred in the northern part of North Korea (news - web sites), sending a huge mushroom cloud into the air on an important anniversary of the communist regime, a South Korean news agency reported Sunday.

The Yonhap news agency, citing an unidentified source in Beijing, said the explosion happened Thursday in Yanggang province near the border with China. The explosion in Kim Hyong Jik county blasted a crater big enough to be noticed by a satellite, the source said.

"We understand that a mushroom-shaped cloud about 3.5 to 4 kilometers (about 2-2 1/2 miles) in diameter was monitored during the explosion," Yonhap quoted an unidentified diplomatic source in Seoul as saying.

North Korea was founded Sept. 9, 1948. Leader Kim Jong Il uses the occasion to stage performances and other events to bolster loyalty among the impoverished North Korean population.

Experts have speculated that North Korea might use a major anniversary to conduct a nuclear-related test, though there was no immediate indication that Thursday's reported explosion was linked to Pyongyang's efforts to develop nuclear weapons.

Kim Hyong Jik is reported to hold a major missile base. North Korea, which has a large missile arsenal and more than 1 million soldiers, is dotted with military installations.

South Korea (news - web sites)'s Unification Minister Chung Dong-young said Sunday the government was in the process of confirming reports there were signs of an explosion in North Korea.

"I am not aware of details such as the size of the damage," he was quoted as saying by Yonhap after a National Security Council meeting.

On Saturday, North Korea said recent revelations that South Korea conducted secret nuclear experiments involving uranium and plutonium made the communist state more determined to pursue its own atomic programs.

The South Korean experiments, conducted in 1982 and 2000, were likely to further complicate the already stalled six-nation talks aimed at dismantling the North's nuclear development. South Korea has said the experiments were purely for research and did not reflect a desire to develop weapons.

On April 22, train wagons at a railway station exploded in the North Korean town of Ryongchon, killing 160 people and injuring an estimated 1,300, according to some estimates. The blast was believed to have been sparked by a train laden with oil and chemicals that hit power lines.

The source in the Yonhap report said Thursday's explosion reportedly was bigger than the train explosion.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040912/ap_on_re_as/nkorea_explosion&cid=516&ncid=716

the Talking Can
09-11-2004, 10:11 PM
super...

DenverChief
09-11-2004, 10:14 PM
super...

Looks like we got the wrong guy :shrug:

jAZ
09-11-2004, 10:20 PM
BushCo knows what the real threats are and what to do about them...

4 More Years!

And we might all be dead. :shake:

DenverChief
09-11-2004, 10:22 PM

4 More Years!

ROFL

jAZ
09-11-2004, 10:25 PM
This must have been the mushroom cloud Condi rice was talking about...

WoodDraw
09-11-2004, 10:33 PM
Reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=6211081

SNR
09-11-2004, 10:36 PM

4 More Years!

And we might all be dead. :shake:So what would Kerry do to correct this issue with NK? Kim is a friggin nutcase

Phobia
09-11-2004, 10:37 PM
It appears as though it has taken GWB 3 full days to respond to this attack. At this rate, 7 minutes is a major improvement. What's he reading this time.... Moby Dick?

DenverChief
09-11-2004, 10:46 PM
hey wood, sorry I didn't realize it was in my article too..I thought mine said the crater was that big :shrug: anyway...so where do I get my reward for finding the WMD?

WoodDraw
09-11-2004, 10:53 PM
hey wood, sorry I didn't realize it was in my article too..I thought mine said the crater was that big :shrug:

No problem.

Here's what CNN is saying:

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) -- A large cloud appeared over North Korea in satellite images several days ago, but a U.S. official told CNN it is "no big deal" and not the result of a nuclear explosion.

The U.S. official said the cloud could be the result of a forest fire.

None of North Korea's known nuclear sites are in the country's northernmost provinces.

However, The New York Times Saturday reported that President Bush and his top advisers recently received intelligence reports that could indicate North Korea is preparing a nuclear test, citing senior officials with access to the intelligence.

A forest fire? That doesn't make much since the other articles are mentioning craters and mushroom clouds. Of course, the South Koreans could be blowing this way out of proportion as well.

DenverChief
09-11-2004, 10:55 PM
No problem.

Here's what CNN is saying:

A forest fire? That doesn't make much since the other articles are mentioning craters and mushroom clouds. Of course, the South Koreans could be blowing this way out of proportion as well.

if it was by the Chinese/ Russian border.....brb

patteeu
09-11-2004, 10:58 PM

4 More Years!

And we might all be dead. :shake:

Too bad we don't have Al Gore to protect us. By now he would have invented a nuclear-proof force field or something if he was president. Too bad he doesn't run again. I've learned my lesson. :p

Donger
09-11-2004, 10:59 PM
If it is a nuke, thank you POTUS CLinton.

DenverChief
09-11-2004, 11:03 PM

why blame the guy before the current one? he doesn't have the power to do anything now, and he hasn't for almost 4 years now...should diverted this WMD train the other way

Donger
09-11-2004, 11:06 PM
why blame the guy before the current one? he doesn't have the power to do anything now, and he hasn't for almost 4 years now...should diverted this WMD train the other way

Do you think that maybe it takes a little time to develop fission weapons?

Try www.google.com if you're "skeptical."

Jenson71

You would blame Clinton huh?

What about Sept. 11th. Is Bush to blame for that?

Jenson71
Anyway, hopefully this doesn't mean anything much...

Donger
09-11-2004, 11:08 PM
You would blame Clinton huh?

What about Sept. 11th. Is Bush to blame for that?

Do you have any idea of what you're talking about?

Like I said to DChief, do a check Google search about Clinton and the "help" he gave to North Korea.

Ash
09-11-2004, 11:09 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/12/international/asia/12nuke.html?ei=5090&en=eee560fa911b4dcf&ex=1252641600&adxnnl=1&partner=rssuserland&adxnnlx=1094965403-vr4TqiKVajSvbE7/0wWIdg

Donger
09-11-2004, 11:09 PM
Anyway, hopefully this doesn't mean anything much...

If they have nuclear weapons, I'd recommend that you revise that sentiment.

Phobia
09-11-2004, 11:10 PM

Like I said to DChief, do a check Google search about Clinton and the "help" he gave to North Korea.

Jesus. How quickly they forget....

RINGLEADER
I feel good knowing that if Kerry wins in November he'll begin immediate negotiations with the North Koreans to give them a "great bargain" by supplying them with nuclear materials and giving their nuclear ambitions the US Seal of Approval.

Nevermind how we'll make sure they live up to the agreement and only use the fuel for power generation. We all know how successful the Clinton administration was in negotiating deals to have future negotiations (while the North Koreans ramped up their secret nuclear weapons program).

WoodDraw
Why blame anyone? If a country like North Korea wants to have a nuclear program then there isn't really a whole lot that can happen. They have a large military, strong allies, and scary leader. What do you propose doing?

DenverChief
09-11-2004, 11:11 PM
Do you think that maybe it takes a little time to develop fission weapons?

Try www.google.com if you're "skeptical."

sure but IIRC they didn't reopen the nuclear reactors that supposidly could create fuel rods till Bush was in office :hmmm:

Donger
09-11-2004, 11:12 PM
Jesus. How quickly they forget....

I doubt they even knew in the first place.

After all, Bush sucks....

Jenson71
09-11-2004, 11:12 PM

So. If, and maybe this whole thing is being overreacted on, but if N. Korea ever dropped a nuke on us, they would be the ones responsible.

Phobia
09-11-2004, 11:13 PM
Why blame anyone? If a country like North Korea wants to have a nuclear program then there isn't really a whole lot that can happen. They have a large military, strong allies, and scary leader. What do you propose doing?

Um. Try the google search on Clinton and North Korea. Clinton essentially gave a machine gun to an epileptic.

DenverChief
09-11-2004, 11:14 PM
I feel good knowing that if Kerry wins in November he'll begin immediate negotiations with the North Koreans to give them a "great bargain" by supplying them with nuclear materials and giving their nuclear ambitions the US Seal of Approval.

Nevermind how we'll make sure they live up to the agreement and only use the fuel for power generation. We all know how successful the Clinton administration was in negotiating deals to have future negotiations (while the North Koreans ramped up their secret nuclear weapons program).

IIRC the nuclear facilities were shut down and under the supervision of UN agents untill Bush came into office :hmmm:

Donger

How about copying what Israel did to Saddam Hussein? I'd LOVE it if GW did that.

Phobia
So. If, and maybe this whole thing is being overreacted on, but if N. Korea ever dropped a nuke on us, they would be the ones responsible.

That's great spin, Jenson. You should apply for a job at the Clinton Library.

WoodDraw
09-11-2004, 11:15 PM
Um. Try the google search on Clinton and North Korea. Clinton essentially gave a machine gun to an epileptic.

I tried and couldn't really find anything credible. Feel free to point me in the right way.

Donger
09-11-2004, 11:15 PM

Yes, with Clinton's tacit assistance.

WoodDraw
09-11-2004, 11:17 PM
How about copying what Israel did to Saddam Hussein? I'd LOVE it if GW did that.

A little late for that unless you enjoy releasing radiactive material into a large population while pissing off the likes of China and South Korea.

Jenson71
09-11-2004, 11:19 PM
That's great spin, Jenson. You should apply for a job at the Clinton Library.

Why? Is there a 3 par course behind it?

After hearing all the "It's not Bush's fault, it's the terrorists fault!" (which I agree with) I find it a little interesting to hear "It's not N. Korea's fault, it's Clintons!"

Donger
09-11-2004, 11:19 PM
A little late for that unless you enjoy releasing radiactive material into a large population while pissing off the likes of China and South Korea.

Better than a nuke dropped on US territory, don't you think?

Besides, the release would be relatively minimal as I'm sure you know. Unless you know very little, that is.

Phobia
09-11-2004, 11:25 PM
Why? Is there a 3 par course behind it?

After hearing all the "It's not Bush's fault, it's the terrorists fault!" (which I agree with) I find it a little interesting to hear "It's not N. Korea's fault, it's Clintons!"

Well, if GWB had faxed Pilot training manuals and jet schematics to Osama, maybe that comparison would be valid now, wouldn't it?

Jenson71
09-11-2004, 11:28 PM
Well, if GWB had faxed Pilot training manuals and jet schematics to Osama, maybe that comparison would be valid now, wouldn't it?

And that money that Bush gave to the Taliban?

Phobia
09-11-2004, 11:36 PM
And that money that Bush gave to the Taliban?

That money Bush gave to the Taliban was a covert payoff, just like the hundreds of millions we give to countries every year. I'm quite certain there were some terms and conditions for that money that weren't ever publicized. In fact, I challenge you to search the archives to determine my stance on that payoff the day it became public. I know I made a post about it and my stance hasn't changed. IIRC, it wasn't a whole lot of money in the grand scheme of things ($10 Mill?), especially since OBL is worth Billions. If it can somehow be traced back to the WTC bombings, then GWB needs to be lynched.

FWIW, I'm completely opposed to any sort of foreign payoffs and bribes no matter who is in control of the White House. That's MY money and it's yours as well. The shit needs to be kept in country.

Also, I hope this post isn't perceived as spin. I think it was a stupid idea and I'm pissed about it. But I'll own up to the mistakes of the conservatives instead of pretending they didn't happen. It would be refreshing if that would happen on the liberal side from time to time.

WoodDraw
09-11-2004, 11:36 PM
Better than a nuke dropped on US territory, don't you think?

Well that's a pretty simplified way of looking at things. And for the record, I'm not against doing something to end North Korea's nuclear program whether that be through diplomacy or a military strike. I just think attacking North Korea right now would do more harm than good. Do you really think NK would just say oh damn, they destroyed our nuclear reactor? I'd say the chance of them hitting South Korea and/or US targets within their range is rather good. And do you really want to get pulled into another war while wars are still being fought in Afghanistan and Iraq? And then there's the whole pissing off other countries thing in a time where we have very few allies willing to give military support to the US.

Donger
09-11-2004, 11:40 PM
Well that's a pretty simplified way of looking at things. And for the record, I'm not against something to end North Korea's nuclear program whether that be through diplomacy or a military strike. I just think attacking North Korea right now would do more harm than good. Do you really think NK would just say oh damn, they destroyed our nuclear reactor? I'd say the chance of them hitting South Korea and/or US targets within their range is rather good. And do you really want to get pulled into another war while wars are still being fought in Afghanistan and Iraq? And then there's the whole pissing off other countries thing in a time where we have very few allies willing to give military support to the US.

Excuse me, but I think that ANYTHING short of a nuclear weapon being detonated over US territory is a GOOD thing.

Call me crazy all you want...

Phobia
09-11-2004, 11:42 PM
Well that's a pretty simplified way of looking at things. And for the record, I'm not against doing something to end North Korea's nuclear program whether that be through diplomacy or a military strike. I just think attacking North Korea right now would do more harm than good. Do you really think NK would just say oh damn, they destroyed our nuclear reactor? I'd say the chance of them hitting South Korea and/or US targets within their range is rather good. And do you really want to get pulled into another war while wars are still being fought in Afghanistan and Iraq? And then there's the whole pissing off other countries thing in a time where we have very few allies willing to give military support to the US.

Well stated. There's no doubt. We can't risk a conflict with N. Korea at this stage. It would spread us way too thin and probably start WWIII. I don't even view it as a consideration.

WoodDraw
09-11-2004, 11:55 PM
Excuse me, but I think that ANYTHING short of a nuclear weapon being detonated over US territory is a GOOD thing.

And I'm saying that you are simplifying things way too much. The chance of a nuclear weapon from North Korea being detonated in US territory is small. Their missiles are inconsistent, their range is limited, and they don't really have anything to gain. I'd say the risk of a nuclear attack against the US would actually go up by trying to attack North Korea. What happens if we miss a hidden underground launch site? What if they find out ahead of time? But anyway, here's some reading material from a great site for military strategy info:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/oplan-5026.htm

Donger
09-12-2004, 12:00 AM
And I'm saying that you are simplifying things way too much. The chance of a nuclear weapon from North Korea being detonated in US territory is small. Their missiles are inconsistent, their range is limited, and they don't really have anything to gain. I'd say the risk of a nuclear attack against the US would actually go up by trying to attack North Korea. What happens if we miss a hidden underground launch site? What if they find out ahead of time? But anyway, here's some reading material from a great site for military strategy info:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/oplan-5026.htm

Of course. And unless I'm mistaken, the Bush administration is still enganging the North Koreans in diplomacy, are they not?

RINGLEADER
09-12-2004, 12:03 AM
IIRC the nuclear facilities were shut down and under the supervision of UN agents untill Bush came into office :hmmm:

BS

WoodDraw
09-12-2004, 12:08 AM
Of course. And unless I'm mistaken, the Bush administration is still enganging the North Koreans in diplomacy, are they not?

They are, although it doesn't really seem to be going anywhere. The group of the United States, North Korea, South Korea, Japan, China, and Russia isn't exactly the dream team of international diplomacy and NK doesn't have much to gain by agreeing to anything now. The US doesn't really have the option of a military strike except in an extreme case and the upcoming election is huge. There isn't any reason for NK to agree to anything now when they might be dealing with a completely different administration in a few months. If this really was a nuclear test then that could complicate things though.

Phobia
09-12-2004, 12:20 AM
They are, although it doesn't really seem to be going anywhere. The group of the United States, North Korea, South Korea, Japan, China, and Russia isn't exactly the dream team of international diplomacy and NK doesn't have much to gain by agreeing to anything now. The US doesn't really have the option of a military strike except in an extreme case and the upcoming election is huge. There isn't any reason for NK to agree to anything now when they might be dealing with a completely different administration in a few months. If this really was a nuclear test then that could complicate things though.

I like reading your posts over here, WD. Even though we appear to be on opposite sides of the fence, you're informed, well written, and seem to actually consider the issues. I enjoy that kind of debate. I dislike the spinners and people in denial. It's impossible to enjoy a healthy debate with them, whether they're conservative or liberal.

WoodDraw
09-12-2004, 12:33 AM
I like reading your posts over here, WD. Even though we appear to be on opposite sides of the fence, you're informed, well written, and seem to actually consider the issues. I enjoy that kind of debate. I dislike the spinners and people in denial. It's impossible to enjoy a healthy debate with them, whether they're conservative or liberal.

Thanks, and the same goes to you. It's nice have a logical debate without all of the Bush/Kerry, liberal/conservative spin getting mixed in.

WilliamTheIrish
09-12-2004, 12:56 AM
Looks like we got the wrong guy :shrug:

You're going to tell me that a possible nuclear blast ... on Thursday no less.... and no country has stepped forward to say there are unacceptable radiation levels in the atmosphere yet?

Apply just a smidge of critical thinking here. The entire world knew within 10 hours when the Russians blew their first atomic wad.

The world knew in 1 day that something bad happened in the area of the Soviet reactor at Chernoble.

While I hate the thought of ILL Jong Bunghole having nukes, I;m not ready to run out into a fallout shelter.

"Had this been a real emergency...."

This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. The broadcasters in your area, in voluntary cooperation with federal, state and local authorities, have developed this system to keep you informed in the event of an emergency. For the next sixty seconds, you will hear a tone that will be used to alert you in case of an actual emergency.
Remember, this is only a test.

DenverChief
09-12-2004, 02:53 AM
BS

and I expected nothing more from you

DenverChief
09-12-2004, 02:55 AM
You're going to tell me that a possible nuclear blast ... on Thursday no less.... and no country has stepped forward to say there are unacceptable radiation levels in the atmosphere yet?

Apply just a smidge of critical thinking here. The entire world knew within 10 hours when the Russians blew their first atomic wad.

The world knew in 1 day that something bad happened in the area of the Soviet reactor at Chernoble.

While I hate the thought of ILL Jong Bunghole having nukes, I;m not ready to run out into a fallout shelter.

nobody is running anywhere, it is just a interesting piece of information that the truth has yet to come out on...