PDA

View Full Version : What's everybody eating today??

the Talking Can
09-12-2004, 07:03 AM
I haven't decided yet....I have a slab of ribs, but I live in an apartment with no grilling facilities.

Anyone know how long/what temp. I should cook them in the oven?

and whats a good way to get some flavor into the ribs, dry run? or should I just leave them alone?

4th and Long
09-12-2004, 07:12 AM
BBQ. Not sure what I'm going to BBQ yet but I WILL be eating BBQ. I also have a game day tradition of eating BBQd Little Smokies. I love just those things, as attested to by the expanding size of my waist line during football season.

the Talking Can
09-12-2004, 07:13 AM
I like Little Smokies cousin the Hot Link

Bob Dole
09-12-2004, 07:16 AM
Smoked briskett and chicken, baked beans, macaroni salad, assorted chips and dips, bloody marys and beer.

the Talking Can
09-12-2004, 07:17 AM
Smoked briskett and chicken, baked beans, macaroni salad, assorted chips and dips, bloody marys and beer.

nice...I assume that's for more than just you (j/k)....and yes, beer...I haven't chosen a good bear yet either

so many decisions....a Porter sounds good

Skip Towne
09-12-2004, 07:19 AM
I found this neat little shop that sells smoked meats and cheese. They also sell 6 oz filets for 2 for $5. I'm going to get ribs and filets today.

Braincase
09-12-2004, 07:24 AM
Later, I'll be smoking a small brisket, pork loin, chicken wings and a slab of ribs. Have that with baked beans (prepped on the smoker), cole slaw and potato salad.

If this buddy of mine from church doesn't show (Bronco fan), I'll just have to pack it all up and drop it off at Fat Elvis' palatial abode.

Bob Dole
09-12-2004, 07:25 AM
nice...I assume that's for more than just you (j/k)....and yes, beer...I haven't chosen a good bear yet either

There are a few people who are supposed to be coming by. The sad thing is, they'll be here eating and drinking at noon while Bob Dole is somewhere else... :( At least the important game doesn't start until late.

the Talking Can
09-12-2004, 07:29 AM
There are a few people who are supposed to be coming by. The sad thing is, they'll be here eating and drinking at noon while Bob Dole is somewhere else... :( At least the important game doesn't start until late.

that's very gracious of you....I'd put on a pad lock on the refrigerator till I returned

Nzoner
We're having a brauts,franks and polish sausage buffet with all the fixins.

Saulbadguy
Jagermeister.

LVNHACK
09-12-2004, 07:30 AM
Philly cheese steaks, fries, onion rings........

the Talking Can
09-12-2004, 07:33 AM
Jagermeister.

gonna be a long day... :clap:

Saulbadguy
09-12-2004, 07:35 AM
gonna be a long day... :clap:
Booze is good food.

Nzoner
09-12-2004, 07:41 AM
Jagermeister.

Set the tivo,vcr for ESPN at 7:30 just in case.

LiL stumppy
09-12-2004, 07:43 AM
Ribs baked beans and collslaw but I dont know how to spell that.

shakesthecat
09-12-2004, 07:46 AM
Booze is good food.

Big ol' screwdriver does sound kinda tastey right about now. :hmmm:

Oh, and on the menu today is, chili, and whatever other tastey treats shakette brings back from the store.

Beer, vodka, Jager, and Red Bull.
No Jello shots though, dammit.

It's gonna be a long day indeed. :thumb:

Ahh...it's finally here!

the Talking Can
09-12-2004, 07:57 AM
Has anyone done this with ribs? I have to use my oven...but I'm not sure if cooking them "submerged" is some kind of sacrilege.

Pork ribs (any variety)
1 bottle barbeque sauce (I Prefer Sweet Baby Rays, but any will do)
1 c. Orange Juice

Mix together Barbeque Sauce and orange juice. Lay ribs in a baking pan and pour BBQ mixture over the top. The ribs should be nearly submerged in the BBQ mix.

Cover pan with foil and set oven to 250.

Option 1: Cook for aprox. 3 hrs (depending on amount of meat). Remove from pan and serve. The meat will be juicy and delicious and it should literally fall right off the bone. If you cook them this way they are EXCELLENT but its nearly impossible to eat them with your hands.

R&GHomer
09-12-2004, 08:02 AM
Just got the fire started up and plan on having R&G's famous smoked pork shoulder. Some of the best pulled pork in town. ;) If I do say so myself :thumb: :toast:

Edit: Allmost forgot to mention plenty of adult beverages.

Must......remember.......too........ Pace myself ROFL

Going to be a long day indeed.....

GO CHIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEFS!

mikey23545
09-12-2004, 08:07 AM
Has anyone done this with ribs? I have to use my oven...but I'm not sure if cooking them "submerged" is some kind of sacrilege.

Pork ribs (any variety)
1 c. Orange Juice

Mix together Barbeque Sauce and orange juice. Lay ribs in a baking pan and pour BBQ mixture over the top. The ribs should be nearly submerged in the BBQ mix.

Option 1: Cook for aprox. 3 hrs (depending on amount of meat). Remove from pan and serve. The meat will be juicy and delicious and it should literally fall right off the bone. If you cook them this way they are EXCELLENT but its nearly impossible to eat them with your hands.

You know Can, my significant other has done ribs in a slow cooker before that would knock your socks off...Not sure of her recipe or prep unfortunately, and she's at work today....But at least that would be another way for an apartment dweller to fix ribs....

Bob Dole
09-12-2004, 08:19 AM
The next door neighbor just brought over a plate of smoke ribs for breakfast.

Life is good.

4th and Long
09-12-2004, 08:21 AM
I can't brag about any cooking at the moment however, this coming week, I'm moving my fiancée here from Texas. She's a Chef. :thumb:

Prepare to hear a long list of mouth watering delicacies in the weeks to come. :D

stevieray
09-12-2004, 08:22 AM
Hopefully horse meat.

the Talking Can
09-12-2004, 08:25 AM
how about a variation on the question:

WHAT IS PLUMMBER GOING TO EAT TODAY?

Bob Dole
09-12-2004, 08:31 AM
I can't brag about any cooking at the moment however, this coming week, I'm moving my fiancée here from Texas. She's a Chef. :thumb:

Prepare to hear a long list of mouth watering delicacies in the weeks to come. :D

Jamie convinced you that he was a chef? :rolleyes:

4th and Long
09-12-2004, 08:39 AM
Jamie convinced you that he was a chef? :rolleyes:
Ouch Bob. Not nice. :shake:

As I said, fiancée, not fiance.

fi·an·cée ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fän-s, f-äns)
n.
A woman to whom a man is engaged to be married.

Now if you're calling poor little Jamie a woman, I'll let you two fight that battle. Leave me out of it!

:D

Cannibal
09-12-2004, 08:45 AM

I tried the Dos Eques amber ale on a business trip to Dallas last week. I was suprised at how good it was. I picked up a 12 pack of that and a 12 of Sam Adams for the day's festivities.

Count Zarth
09-12-2004, 08:45 AM
Pizza
Hot Wings
Chips and Queso

Skip Towne
09-12-2004, 08:49 AM

Pork ribs (any variety)
1 c. Orange Juice

A few months ago somebody put up a recipe for ribs cooked in a crockpot. I tried it and it was great. Can't remember who though.

Mile High Mania
09-12-2004, 08:55 AM
Who ordered the crow? We'll deliver tonight after the game...

Count Zarth
09-12-2004, 08:58 AM
Who ordered the crow? We'll deliver tonight after the game...

Return to sender.... :D

the Talking Can
09-12-2004, 10:59 AM
well, my ribs are rubbed and ready to go....3 hours in the oven at 275 degrees, should be the next best thing...

shakesthecat
09-12-2004, 11:44 AM
BUUUURRRRRRRPPP!

:toast:

Cannibal
09-12-2004, 11:47 AM
I'm a drinkin my Dos Equis and feelin pretty good right about now. Especially with the way the Steelers are playin against the Raiders.

HELL YEA BITCHES!!!!

I gotta slow down a little though. Chiefs don't start for quite a while.

the Talking Can
09-12-2004, 11:48 AM
I'm trying a FAt Tire "Black Ale"....pretty good

Raiderhader
09-12-2004, 11:49 AM
I don't know yet. I have nothing here at the house, so I'll have to go to the store shortly.

Cannibal
09-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Those Mexicans can sure make some beer.

Although I need to pace myself since the Chiefs don't start for so long.

I did read the back of the bottle though, and the beer was crafted by a German...

those Mexicans sure can follow a recipe!!! ROFL ROFL

Is it the water?!

Cannibal
09-12-2004, 11:58 AM

I am really starting to get into the darker beers. If I'm drunk I even like to drink a little Guiness. I don't like to start out with it yet though.

I'm leanin' that way though. The more dark beers I drink the more I like em.

chop
09-12-2004, 12:00 PM
I just bought these Benetino's chicken and turkey sausages. I got the Habanero & Queso Fresco style. They are kinda like a brat. Pretty good.

the Talking Can
09-12-2004, 12:00 PM
I am really starting to get into the darker beers. If I'm drunk I even like to drink a little Guiness. I don't like to start out with it yet though.

I'm leanin' that way though. The more dark beers I drink the more I like em.

try a porter....its dark but not quite a stout....Boulevard makes a great Porter....Guiness is my favorite, but I don't drink it when I'm out "drinking"

Cannibal
09-12-2004, 12:03 PM
try a porter....its dark but not quite a stout....Boulevard makes a great Porter....Guiness is my favorite, but I don't drink it when I'm out "drinking"

I drink Boulevard quite often. One of my favorite beers. Here in Wichita you can find it on tap at quite a few bars.

Phobia
09-12-2004, 12:07 PM

Good stuff! I really love their 1554.

I already feasted upon some grilled salmon topped with a cajun crab concoction.

the Talking Can
09-12-2004, 12:10 PM
Good stuff! I really love their 1554.

I already feasted upon some grilled salmon topped with a cajun crab concoction.

damn, you don't play around

htismaqe
09-12-2004, 12:13 PM
I'll be having pork spare ribs that I cooked for 8 hours yesterday, along with some cole slaw.

38yrsfan
09-12-2004, 12:21 PM
Anything that goes with Alaskan Amber!

Raiderhader
09-12-2004, 12:37 PM
I've decided on an Italian sausage, a filet, and Samuel Adams Octoberfest.

Cannibal
09-12-2004, 12:39 PM
...Samuel Adams Octoberfest.

Good choice! :thumb:

Raiderhader
09-12-2004, 12:44 PM
Good choice! :thumb:

It's my first time trying it, I am rather pleased with it.

Cannibal
09-12-2004, 12:48 PM
It's my first time trying it, I am rather pleased with it.

You've got a good brew for your Sunday football viewing...

ChiefsCountry
09-12-2004, 12:48 PM
Im thinking pizza, hot wings, chips and the best dip in the world - melted cream cheese with salsa :thumb: .

38yrsfan
09-12-2004, 12:57 PM
Im thinking pizza, hot wings, chips and the best dip in the world - melted cream cheese with salsa :thumb: .

Try a little cooked ground beef in there as well. We do that combo at scout campfires when we don't want to have much cleanup.

BigOlChiefsfan
09-12-2004, 01:33 PM
tonite's beer is chillin', we've got Rogue Dead Guy/Boulevard/Sierra Pale Ale

Lo-carb Pasta w/red clam & black olive sauce, pork and red lentils/Dal Makhani.

the Talking Can
09-12-2004, 01:51 PM
tonite's beer is chillin', we've got Rogue Dead Guy/Boulevard/Sierra Pale Ale

Lo-carb Pasta w/red clam & black olive sauce, pork and red lentils/Dal Makhani.

what's Dal Maklhani?

Phobia
09-12-2004, 01:56 PM
what's Dal Maklhani?
Some killer Indian food. Try it sometime. Freakin BOCF probably made it from scratch. He's the most cultured chef on the board - possibly in the state. Always making badass stuff.

I'd convert to gay and move in if he were a little more attractive.

Raiderhader
09-12-2004, 01:59 PM
I must say, I fixed that filet perfectly. I'm glad I picked up a second one.

Baby Lee
09-12-2004, 02:05 PM
Some killer Indian food. Try it sometime. Freakin BOCF probably made it from scratch. He's the most cultured chef on the board - possibly in the state. Always making badass stuff.

I'd convert to gay and move in if he were a little more attractive.
Where do you collect your spices? I love Indian food, and am generally a good cook in many other cuisines, but Indian spices intimidate me.

hing?
dhania?
asafoetida?
methi seeds?

the Talking Can
09-12-2004, 02:22 PM
I love Indian food, but am also intimidated at the thought of cooking it...plus you need access to a good market

Otter
09-12-2004, 02:23 PM
Ribs, Pizza, Wings and of couse, a cooler full of beer.

And a heaping tablespoon of Metamucil before bed.

stumppy
09-12-2004, 02:27 PM
I went out last night and picked up a slab of ribs, bbq beans, and slaw from Crosstown BBQ for today.
Crosstown has about the best ribs you can get in Spfld.:thumb:

BigOlChiefsfan
09-12-2004, 02:32 PM
There's a couple of little Indian markets near me, lots of immigrants from the subcontinent here in Shawnee. I buy cumin seed, chile, mustard seed and various 'grams' or beans/lentils from 'em. The ladies running the place seem to enjoy it that 'an American' can cook (some of) their cuisine.

I ignore a lot of 'authentic' ingredients because I don't like 'em (Asophetida, anyone?) but this particular recipe for Dal Makhani is easy. This is MY version, and it's def. not completely traditional.

Brown a large yellow onion, diced, in olive oil. Whe's its just starting to carmelize, add 4 or 5 large cloves of minced garlic, a heaping tablespoon or 2 of cumin seed, a couple of tablespoons of mustard seed. Stir-fry until the seeds begin to 'sputter' in the hot oil, then add a can of Roi-tel, a cup of red lentils, 2.5 cups of water and some bullion. Bring to a boil, add some oregano & thyme, crushed chile or diced serrano chiles, and simmer it for 30 minutes or so. When the lentils are about soft, add some finely diced ham and a can of beef broth (180 degrees from traditon, but I don't care. It's good), and a can of red kidney beans (triple rinsed in a colander).
You can add a can of rinsed spinach/frozen spinach if you like...(yeah, I know. But it's better than it sounds ) I let this simmer another 10 minutes or so, taste and correct seasonings. Serve over basmati rice, or a rice/barley/buckwheat pilaf. Cheap, loads of fiber, filling, spicy AND with the pilaf instead of the basmati it fits on my low-glycemic diet.

And hey, Phobia, my ex-wife thought I was damned pretty back in my day. I'll admit I'm no oil painting these days, the last 10 years have been rough on me.

Probably just as well, now that I think on it.

the Talking Can
09-12-2004, 02:35 PM
There's a couple of little Indian markets near me, lots of immigrants from the subcontinent here in Shawnee. I buy cumin seed, chile, mustard seed and various 'grams' or beans/lentils from 'em. The ladies running the place seem to enjoy it that 'an American' can cook (some of) their cuisine.

I ignore a lot of 'authentic' ingredients because I don't like 'em (Asophetida, anyone?) but this particular recipe for Dal Makhani is easy. This is MY version, and it's def. not completely traditional.

Brown a large yellow onion, diced, in olive oil. Whe's its just starting to carmelize, add 4 or 5 large cloves of minced garlic, a heaping tablespoon or 2 of cumin seed, a couple of tablespoons of mustard seed. Stir-fry until the seeds begin to 'sputter' in the hot oil, then add a can of Roi-tel, a cup of red lentils, 2.5 cups of water and some bullion. Bring to a boil, add some oregano & thyme, crushed chile or diced serrano chiles, and simmer it for 30 minutes or so. When the lentils are about soft, add some finely diced ham and a can of beef broth (180 degrees from traditon, but I don't care. It's good), and a can of red kidney beans (triple rinsed in a colander).
You can add a can of rinsed spinach/frozen spinach if you like...(yeah, I know. But it's better than it sounds ) I let this simmer another 10 minutes or so, taste and correct seasonings. Serve over basmati rice, or a rice/barley/buckwheat pilaf. Cheap, loads of fiber, filling, spicy AND with the pilaf instead of the basmati it fits on my low-glycemic diet.

And hey, Phobia, my ex-wife thought I was damned pretty back in my day. I'll admit I'm no oil painting these days, the last 10 years have been rough on me.

Probably just as well, now that I think on it.

thanks for the recipe...sounds amazing

38yrsfan
09-12-2004, 02:42 PM
really, that does sound goooood .....

Phobia
09-12-2004, 02:43 PM

Don't take that personally. For some reason, there is a large percentage of men that I don't find attractive.... like upwards of 100%. But, if you had a C-cup with silver dollar nipples,....

Braincase
09-12-2004, 02:57 PM
7:00 Barbecue
10:30 Hairpie

Fat Elvis
09-12-2004, 10:03 PM
Later, I'll be smoking a small brisket, pork loin, chicken wings and a slab of ribs. Have that with baked beans (prepped on the smoker), cole slaw and potato salad.

If this buddy of mine from church doesn't show (Bronco fan), I'll just have to pack it all up and drop it off at Fat Elvis' palatial abode.

doh! I just read this. (11pm)

Ari Chi3fs
09-12-2004, 10:23 PM
im eating CROW.

mbierly
09-12-2004, 10:37 PM
Just a big can of raw crow, man.
Cold raw crow.

BigOlChiefsfan
09-19-2004, 09:49 AM
One week later...today I got up early & put a boneless pork shoulder on the grill. Since it's been cut open to remove the bones I used olive oil & lots of dry rub inside, skewered it back together with a couple of metal kebab skewers then oiled & dry-rubbed the outside. Seared it over the coals & hickory, then moved it over to the cool side of the kettle. I've been dousing it regularly w/a vinegar/rum/lime/spice mopping sauce, it should be falling-apart tender along about halftime.

Got lots of pita bread to grill & hummus to go with it, black beans & garlicky mojo sauce, the usual assortment of chips, dips & cold beer.

GO CHIEFS!!!

Count Zarth
09-19-2004, 09:58 AM
I was too excited to eat last Sunday. I'll have those wings and chips and queso today. Mmmmm.