PDA

View Full Version : More Direct TV ranting

KCJake
09-12-2004, 11:26 AM
I have the NFL Sunday Ticket. It seems like every other game I turn to, I get this message "This program is not available in your area." "Check Program Guide for alternate programming" What's the deal? Is the game blacked-out? I don't live anywhere close to Pittsburgh??? :mad:

chief52
09-12-2004, 11:29 AM
I have the NFL Sunday Ticket. It seems like every other game I turn to, I get this message "This program is not available in your area." "Check Program Guide for alternate programming" What's the deal? Is the game blacked-out? I don't live anywhere close to Pittsburgh??? :mad:

Most of the games are shown as blacked out?

Herzig
09-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Same problem here. I tried to call but it's busy. Assholes...

That's total BS!!!

Skip Towne
09-12-2004, 11:32 AM
Did you pay your bill?

Skip Towne
09-12-2004, 11:34 AM
Same problem here. I tried to call but it's busy. Assholes...

That's total BS!!!
Call 800 730 4742. It's the tech line. It's never busy.

chiefsfaninwa
09-12-2004, 11:34 AM
If your local fox and cbs affiliates have a game on they will be blacked out on your sunday ticket. Thats part of the crap they did two years ago in Seattle now nationwide..

Enjoy...

unlurking
09-12-2004, 11:35 AM
The game is probably on a national channel.

Michael Michigan
09-12-2004, 11:35 AM

Cool--my DirecTV is working, but I'm marking that down.

Thanks Skip.

:toast:

chief52
09-12-2004, 11:36 AM
DAMN...I got the same thing going on. I did not notice as I only had the Raider game on. Damn it!

Mr. Laz
09-12-2004, 11:37 AM
The game is probably on a national channel.

yep ... the steelers are being shown on fox

check your none sunday ticket channels

chief52
09-12-2004, 11:39 AM
nice try, Skip, but they are not answering that number.

unlurking
09-12-2004, 11:40 AM
I'm not missing any games at the moment. 2 are blacked out on ST, but they are on Fox and CBS.

Big Chief Homer
09-12-2004, 11:42 AM
theyre doing the same to me,but its 2 games,steelers/raiders and bucs/redskins.

Bull$h*t

unlurking
09-12-2004, 11:43 AM
Why is that bull$hit?

Both those games are on FOX and CBS.

chief52
09-12-2004, 11:47 AM
Why is that bull$hit?

That is why they are being blacked out on the Ticket I am sure. They want you to watch the local affiliate. I am getting every game, just have to go to the local for the Raiders/Steelers and Bucs/Skins.

Rausch
09-12-2004, 11:48 AM

Much appreciated! :thumb:

That's teh free rep...

Unfortunately, they're trying to make mansechs to me. The Rams/Tardinals game is blacked out b/c they didn't sell out.

Ok, well, if I can't purchase the St.Louis local stations because I'm "out of area" then logic would ****ing dictate that their black out wouldn't apply to me. Yet, my screen is blacked out.

Now I'm on hold... :cuss:

KCJake
09-12-2004, 11:48 AM
That's it. Both games are on Fox and CBS. The problem is, I can't get Fox or CBS because Direct TV says I can get them with a antenna. Which I can, but it comes in like crap.

chief52
09-12-2004, 11:49 AM
That's it. Both games are on Fox and CBS. The problem is, I can't get Fox or CBS because Direct TV says I can get them with a antenna. Which I can, but it comes in like crap.

Lie...it works. Tell them you are in a hole and can not get any reception.

unlurking
09-12-2004, 11:49 AM
Ahhhh

Do they offer local channels in your area?

Ultra Peanut
09-12-2004, 11:50 AM
Ah. Fox strikes again.

Skip Towne
09-12-2004, 11:50 AM
yep ... the steelers are being shown on fox

check your none sunday ticket channels
The Fade are on CBS in Tulsa. The Bucs are on Fox.

Valiant
09-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Why is that bull$hit?

if you guys are paying somebody for the games you should be able to watch them on the channels you are paying for..

who cares if a local affilate(?) has them...what if the local is poor ass reception... Sunday ticket promo is get all the games...

Mr. Laz
09-12-2004, 11:56 AM
if you guys are paying somebody for the games you should be able to watch them on the channels you are paying for..

who cares if a local affilate(?) has them...what if the local is poor ass reception... Sunday ticket promo is get all the games...

i imagine as part of the contract with the NFL, directv had to agree to a few things.

1. not show that are blacked out

2. not show games that are on the other major networks at the same time.

the NFL has 2 contracts ... one with directv and one with the big networks.... they had to balance the conflict.

KCJake
09-12-2004, 11:56 AM
We tried to lie man. They actually sent a guy to our house to check out the reception. He ran some kind of test, and graded the reception with a 72%. Anything over 70% is considered "ok." My dad has been fighting this for 3-4 years now.

chief52
09-12-2004, 12:03 PM
We tried to lie man. They actually sent a guy to our house to check out the reception. He ran some kind of test, and graded the reception with a 72%. Anything over 70% is considered "ok." My dad has been fighting this for 3-4 years now.

Damn, I can not believe they did that. Good thing they did not do it here!

Rausch
09-12-2004, 12:32 PM
Much appreciated! :thumb:

That's teh free rep...

Unfortunately, they're trying to make mansechs to me. The Rams/Tardinals game is blacked out b/c they didn't sell out.

Ok, well, if I can't purchase the St.Louis local stations because I'm "out of area" then logic would ****ing dictate that their black out wouldn't apply to me. Yet, my screen is blacked out.

Now I'm on hold... :cuss:

This is crap. Is Skip still on here?...

Bwana
09-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Sonofabitch, same thing here, this is bullchit. I don't remember them pimping this aspect of their area cover, or lack there of in their full filled ad. Fuggen pricks. :shake:

RINGLEADER
09-12-2004, 12:54 PM
I think if they're showing the game in your local area (even if you're not near Oakland or Pittsburgh) they don't show it on the HD channels or the 700 numbers.

I'm 400 miles away from Oakland and I got the same message. Switched to the HD CBS channel and it was there.

mississippichiefan
09-12-2004, 12:54 PM
They are doing that here too, raiders - steelers and saints - seahawks , the two games that are locally . This is the first time they have ever done this in the 10 years I have had season tickets . This is bad because my local cbs channel is not as clear as the other stations .

RINGLEADER
09-12-2004, 12:56 PM
I do have one rant about the HD channels...it seems like they're constantly synching them up. When they go for updates from Gumbal in New York they pop over to the non-HD signal. Then, when they come back, there's a brief time when they continue showing the non-HD before it clicks over to the HD signal. There also seems to be a lot of instances with the audio where it skips and repeats for brief moments.

Not terribly annoying, but annoying nonetheless.

Anyone else having this problem with the HD games?

RINGLEADER
09-12-2004, 12:57 PM
They are doing that here too, raiders - steelers and saints - seahawks , the two games that are locally . This is the first time they have ever done this in the 10 years I have had season tickets . This is bad because my local cbs channel is not as clear as the other stations .

Do you have CBS in HD? It's channel 81 on my system.

Rausch
09-12-2004, 02:21 PM
Now I'm screwed.

Any local station that shows a game, that game won't be on my dish. I can't watch the Chiefs games in my own home any longer.

Michael Michigan
09-12-2004, 02:30 PM
Now I'm screwed.

Any local station that shows a game, that game won't be on my dish. I can't watch the Chiefs games in my own home any longer.

That ain't right.

:shake:

DenverChief
09-12-2004, 02:35 PM

its called contractual agrteements between team owners and local affiliates, it has nothing to do with DTV

chief52
09-12-2004, 02:38 PM
I wonder what has changed from last season? I am getting screwed this afternoon. I can not get the 49er game this afternoon. Not that that is that bad, but who knows what game I will be missing in the future.

I would not want to be working the phones at DirecTV today...

Skip Towne
09-12-2004, 02:39 PM
nice try, Skip, but they are not answering that number.
I just tried it and got right through. They must have been temporarily swamped with this Sunday Ticket thing.

unlurking
09-12-2004, 02:39 PM
Now I'm screwed.

Do you get local channels on your dish? If so, call 'em up and threaten to cancel if they don't give you local channels free throughout the season.

Just a thought.

chief52
09-12-2004, 02:40 PM
I just tried it and got right through. They must have been temporarily swamped with this Sunday Ticket thing.

Must have been. I do not think it will do any good to call at this point. I think I see what they are up to. Think there is any chance in getting them to change and unblock the 49er game?

unlurking
09-12-2004, 02:43 PM
Must have been. I do not think it will do any good to call at this point. I think I see what they are up to. Think there is any chance in getting them to change and unblock the 49er game?
I've complained for years about this on Center Ice. Not once have they ever opened it up.

ENDelt260
09-12-2004, 02:43 PM
Now I'm screwed.

Pardon me while I laugh at your misfortune.

Herzig
09-12-2004, 02:45 PM
Now I'm screwed.

Same problem here. They keep saying that my area will receive locals by the end of 2004, but hell...that could be December. They offered to refund all of my Sunday ticket money...I have a week to decide on that. I can pick up ABC and NBC fine with rabbit ears, but CBS and FOX don't come in at all or so snowy that you can't really see what is going on. They put in a waiver to those networks so I can get the EAST-WEST networks, and I told them that I'm in a mountainous area that really affects reception...so we'll see.

At this point, I'm so pissed that I think I may go ahead and take the refund. This is first year of four that I've had that happen.

Ultra Peanut
09-12-2004, 02:47 PM
Pardon me while I laugh at your misfortune.Just this morning, I realized that I think of you as the Planet's version of Maddox.

Skip Towne
09-12-2004, 02:49 PM
A lot of this stuff is regulated by federal law. CBS has protected territories and DTV cannot violate them if CBS is using them. You might try getting a waiver from CBS. They are causing the problem it looks like to me.

chief52
09-12-2004, 02:50 PM
A lot of this stuff is regulated by federal law. CBS has protected territories and DTV cannot violate them if BS is using them. You might try getting a waiver from CBS. They are causing the problem it looks like to me.

But why the change this season? It has never been that way in the past. :cuss:

RINGLEADER
09-12-2004, 02:53 PM
Do you get local channels on your dish? If so, call 'em up and threaten to cancel if they don't give you local channels free throughout the season.

Just a thought.

That would be my idea...they didn't say you had to get the local channel package (which I'm assuming cost more money) to get all the games you want to see via Sunday Ticket.

"If you're not going to give me all the games on Sunday Ticket (like you told me you would), then I want you to give me the local channels on Sunday for free."

Obviously, they won't be able to monitor what days you get the local channels, so insist you get them all the time during the season.

Skip Towne
09-12-2004, 02:56 PM
But why the change this season? It has never been that way in the past. :cuss:
I'm not sure but I'm guessing CBS and/or Fox bitched about it. CBS (and the others) sell advertising based on the number of eyeballs in that area. If someone else invades that area, it cuts the number of eyeballs and the advertisers bitch they aren't getting what they paid for. So the networks went to congress and got protective laws passed.

Valiant
09-12-2004, 02:58 PM
i imagine as part of the contract with the NFL, directv had to agree to a few things.

1. not show that are blacked out

2. not show games that are on the other major networks at the same time.

the NFL has 2 contracts ... one with directv and one with the big networks.... they had to balance the conflict.

blackouts i understand...

but the quality of satellite picture to most local channels is night and day... That is why if you are paying to get all nfl games, you should get all the nfl games(not counting blackouts)...

Valiant
09-12-2004, 03:01 PM
Same problem here. They keep saying that my area will receive locals by the end of 2004, but hell...that could be December. They offered to refund all of my Sunday ticket money...I have a week to decide on that. I can pick up ABC and NBC fine with rabbit ears, but CBS and FOX don't come in at all or so snowy that you can't really see what is going on. They put in a waiver to those networks so I can get the EAST-WEST networks, and I told them that I'm in a mountainous area that really affects reception...so we'll see.

At this point, I'm so pissed that I think I may go ahead and take the refund. This is first year of four that I've had that happen.

that really, really sucks for you...that is why i think that is crap... most local channels suck for reception...

Valiant
09-12-2004, 03:03 PM
I'm not sure but I'm guessing CBS and/or Fox bitched about it. CBS (and the others) sell advertising based on the number of eyeballs in that area. If someone else invades that area, it cuts the number of eyeballs and the advertisers bitch they aren't getting what they paid for. So the networks went to congress and got protective laws passed.

that makes sense... As a fan though, it is total and utter bullshit...

Craash
09-12-2004, 03:06 PM

Skip,

What laws got passed? To my knowledge it's just a Directv policy change in reaction to preasure from the big three stations, and the nfl. I'm aware of no new laws and would apprecate any link you could provide.

Nelson Muntz
09-12-2004, 03:08 PM

On my local channels I can get CBS and ABC, but not Fox or NBC. The thing that gets me is I can't get Fox at all, not even snowy yet I can get CBS clearly and the damn stations and towers are at the same damn building. What the hell is up with that?

Skip Towne
09-12-2004, 04:02 PM
Skip,

What laws got passed? To my knowledge it's just a Directv policy change in reaction to preasure from the big three stations, and the nfl. I'm aware of no new laws and would apprecate any link you could provide.
There have been laws in place for quite awhile. I think they were updated and modified in the Telecommunications Act of 1996.

Skip Towne
09-12-2004, 04:04 PM
On my local channels I can get CBS and ABC, but not Fox or NBC. The thing that gets me is I can't get Fox at all, not even snowy yet I can get CBS clearly and the damn stations and towers are at the same damn building. What the hell is up with that?
Television stations have differing amounts of power. Fox is probably low power.

Nelson Muntz
09-12-2004, 04:16 PM
Television stations have differing amounts of power. Fox is probably low power.

Yeah I understand that but its only 15 miles at the very most from my house and I can't pick up anything. Static is all I get.

unlurking
09-12-2004, 04:25 PM
Is your TV on the right channel? Is your TV set for antenna or cable?

lol

Bwana
09-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Bastards! I just had the Vikings/Plowboys game on the dish and just before halftime, ZAP, history. I can pick it up on my local FOX station, but the picture blows. Fuggen Cockroaches. :shake:

JimNasium
09-12-2004, 04:27 PM
I wouldn't be pissed about this if they would get my local channels on DTV. This "Coming in 2004" bullshit is getting really old.

KChiefs1
09-12-2004, 05:13 PM
Not to get the HD argument started again, but channels 90-99 are where the HD games are located!

Skip Towne
09-12-2004, 05:41 PM
Yeah I understand that but its only 15 miles at the very most from my house and I can't pick up anything. Static is all I get.
I think you have your TV set in the wrong mode. If it is set for "cable" change it to off air. And vice versa. I can't remember which way it is. If it is in the wrong mode it won't pick up anything higher than ch. 13.

DenverChief
09-12-2004, 05:43 PM
There have been laws in place for quite awhile. I think they were updated and modified in the Telecommunications Act of 1996.

Exactly, this has nothing to do with direct tv, write your congressman.....

Skip Towne
09-12-2004, 05:44 PM
I wouldn't be pissed about this if they would get my local channels on DTV. This "Coming in 2004" bullshit is getting really old.
They are saying October. If the current plans hold you will need another dish in addition to the one you have. They will give it to you and install it free.

JimNasium
09-12-2004, 08:31 PM
They are saying October. If the current plans hold you will need another dish in addition to the one you have. They will give it to you and install it free.
Cool, let me know if I can get you paid to do this for me.

meddle
09-12-2004, 10:40 PM
Here's some info (not confirmed, but these guys are pretty reliable) for the new local channel markets, and their launch dates.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=32047