PDA

View Full Version : Florida OK's Nader's Name on Election Ballot

Donger
09-13-2004, 06:46 PM
http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/413583|top|09-13-2004::18:47|reuters.html

MIAMI (Reuters) - Independent presidential candidate Ralph Nader's name can appear on Florida ballots for the election, despite a court order to the contrary, Florida's elections chief told officials on Monday in a move that could help President Bush in the key swing state.

The Florida Democratic Party reacted with outrage, calling the move "blatant partisan maneuvering" by Gov. Jeb Bush, the president's younger brother, and vowed to fight it.

In a memo to Florida's 67 county supervisors of elections, Division of Elections director Dawn Roberts said the uncertainty of Hurricane Ivan, which could hit parts of the state by week's end, forced her to act.

The action came in an ongoing legal battle over whether Nader should be allowed on the Florida ballot as the Reform Party candidate.

Nader, an independent nominated by the Reform Party, was a presidential candidate in 2000 when Bush won Florida, and the White House, by 537 votes over then-Vice President Al Gore. Analysts said most of the nearly 98,000 votes Nader got in Florida would have gone to Gore had Nader not been on the ballot.

Florida Circuit Court Judge Kevin Davey issued a temporary injunction last week preventing the state from putting Nader on the 2004 ballot, siding with a Democratic challenge that the Reform Party did not qualify as a national party under state law.

A hearing on a permanent injunction is scheduled for Wednesday. But Roberts said Hurricane Ivan, which is headed for Florida's Gulf coast, had raised "a substantial question as to when such a hearing" will be held.

'PARTISAN MANEUVERING'

As a result, she said, Florida's Department of State had filed an appeal against the temporary injunction. The appeal application automatically lifts the injunction, allowing the counties to put Nader's name on overseas absentee ballots, which must be mailed by Saturday.

"I'm in disbelief," said Scott Maddox, chairman of the Florida Democratic Party. "This is blatant partisan maneuvering on the part of Jeb Bush to give his brother a leg up on election day."

"They are trying to get ballots printed with Nader's name on them," said Maddox. "I am astounded that Jeb Bush is willing to defy the judiciary to help his brother."

Maddox said if Nader drew votes away from any candidate it would be Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry.

Gov. Bush said he agreed with Roberts' decision.

"It's up to the judge to determine, based on the law, whether Nader should be on the ballot or not," Bush said. "But while that process goes on, we cannot put ourselves in the position where the ministerial role of the supervisors cannot be fulfilled."

Maddox noted that Tallahassee, the state capital where Davey sits, is not expected to be directly hit by the hurricane. He said the circuit court could hear the case as scheduled on Wednesday and rule immediately.

In addition, the case is before the Florida Supreme Court, which could also rule at any time, he said.

Thig Lyfe
09-13-2004, 07:01 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Donger
09-13-2004, 07:07 PM
"This is blatant partisan maneuvering on the part of Jeb Bush to give his brother a leg up on election day."

I don't know if it is or isn't, but I'm positive that the injunction was blatantly partisan.

WoodDraw
09-13-2004, 07:18 PM
This does seem a little sketchy. The uncertainty of Hurricane Ivan forced her to act? That's pretty weak. Tallahassee isn't set to get hit hard and it wouldn't be too hard to push back the hearing.

I'm all for 3rd party canidates getting on the ballot though even if the whole system is horribly flawed. The fact that the people arueing over this are the Democrats and Republics and not the Reform Party just further shows that.

ENDelt260
09-13-2004, 07:19 PM
Well, that oughta confuse the hell out of those retards.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Scooby Doo take Florida.

Donger
09-13-2004, 07:22 PM

ROFL

Warrior5
09-13-2004, 07:49 PM

rep.

Thig Lyfe
09-13-2004, 07:55 PM

Rorge Rubbleyou Roosh or Rohn Rerry?

ROOBY DOOBY DOO!

KCWolfman
09-13-2004, 08:43 PM
The Florida Democratic Party reacted with outrage, calling the move "blatant partisan maneuvering" by Gov. Jeb Bush, the president's younger brother, and vowed to fight it.

They said while partisanly attempting to block an additional choice from the voters they supposedly represent.

RINGLEADER
09-13-2004, 09:03 PM
"This is blatant partisan maneuvering on the part of Jeb Bush to give his brother a leg up on election day."

I don't know if it is or isn't, but I'm positive that the injunction was blatantly partisan.

The Democratic Party Leadership are a bunch of whiners. They're going into every state trying to prevent Nader from appearing on the ballot yet when they lose in their efforts to stop every (non-Democratic) vote from counting they bitch about it being a partisan attack.

Their victimhood knows no bounds...

whoman69
09-13-2004, 09:26 PM

You can't have it both ways. Republicans claim that Catherine Harris acted entirely with the law in 2000 but when asked to comply with the law now, they say the law doesn't matter.

Stinger
09-13-2004, 09:27 PM
http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/413583|top|09-13-2004::18:47|reuters.html

"I'm in disbelief," said Scott Maddox, chairman of the Florida Democratic Party. "This is blatant partisan maneuvering on the part of Jeb Bush to give his brother a leg up on election day."

"They are trying to get ballots printed with Nader's name on them," said Maddox. "I am astounded that Jeb Bush is willing to defy the judiciary to help his brother."

You know what Irony this would have been if would have said this on the steps of the Florida Sureme Court after the 2000 election debacle.

Cochise
09-13-2004, 09:28 PM
Look at them trying to disenfranchise voters.

whoman69
09-13-2004, 09:43 PM
The Democratic Party Leadership are a bunch of whiners. They're going into every state trying to prevent Nader from appearing on the ballot yet when they lose in their efforts to stop every (non-Democratic) vote from counting they bitch about it being a partisan attack.

Their victimhood knows no bounds...
Baloney. Most of the efforts to get Nader on the ballot have been Republican efforts. He could not win the nomination for his own party and had to crawl into the back door for a party that has zero in common with their candidate. In AZ it was proven that signatures of petition for him were fraudulent. A Republican rally in OR was put together to get Nader on the ballot. The only ones that want him on the ballot are Republicans. Ask Hoover, he worked in IA to get Nader on the ballot because he knows that it will cost Kerry votes. If his own party can't get him on the ballot, he doesn't belong there.
Don't get all high and mighty about this being non-partisan. As strongly as Democrats are going into these states to prove Nader doesn't belong on the ballot, Republicans are going just as hard to get him on the ballot. Shouldn't the Reform Party being doing that?

ENDelt260
09-13-2004, 09:50 PM
Reform Party? I thought Nader was running as an Independent this go round. When the hell did he hook up with the Reform Party?

whoman69
09-13-2004, 09:53 PM
Reform Party? I thought Nader was running as an Independent this go round. When the hell did he hook up with the Reform Party?
When he couldn't win the nomination for the Green party again.

ENDelt260
09-13-2004, 09:57 PM
When he couldn't win the nomination for the Green party again.
I don't recall him even trying for the nomination of the Green Party. He declared his candidacy as an Independent.

I wandered over to his site, and a press release from today still refers to his campaign as "The Independent Presidential Campaign of Ralph Nader and Peter Camejo".... tho, I do see on the Reform Party site where they say they endorse him.

ENDelt260
09-13-2004, 10:01 PM
So why would Ralph run as an Independent now?

Throughout American history third parties and independent candidates have pushed the agenda toward the just needs of the people and changed one or more of the major parties on many important subjects ó abolition of slavery, womenís suffrage, deficits, agrarian rights, labor right, social security, health care and civil rights, to name just a few.

Third parties and Independents have been the seeds of regeneration and great social movements.

The Greens are not planning on deciding whether or under which conditions they will run a Presidential candidate until their June Convention in Milwaukee.

Because of the deadlines under the unfair ballot access laws, Ralph could not wait until then to see whether the Greens would field a candidate this year and under what restrictions.

He still plans to work with local and state Green parties and supports their main values, but he wanted the ability to start before June and be able to run an innovative campaign and bring out more Independents and nonvoters who donít want to identify with any party.

Ralph is and always has been registered as an Independent.

A third of the country identifies themselves this way and more and more people want a viable check on the two parties.

http://www.votenader.org/why_ralph/index.php?cid=3

whoman69
09-13-2004, 10:01 PM
I don't recall him even trying for the nomination of the Green Party. He declared his candidacy as an Independent.

I wandered over to his site, and a press release from today still refers to his campaign as "The Independent Presidential Campaign of Ralph Nader and Peter Camejo".... tho, I do see on the Reform Party site where they say they endorse him.
Of course they're not going to put on their site they couldn't even win their own party's nomination. But he tried to go Green again, they turned him down. Since Perot's Reform Party didn't have anyone, they backed him. In most states you have to be nominated by a party to get on the ballot and that party has to have a minimum showing in elections past. Barring that its on to petitions.

ENDelt260
09-13-2004, 10:03 PM
Of course they're not going to put on their site they couldn't even win their own party's nomination.

Did anyone put it in a newspaper article somewhere?

jjjayb
09-13-2004, 10:21 PM
Baloney. Most of the efforts to get Nader on the ballot have been Republican efforts. He could not win the nomination for his own party and had to crawl into the back door for a party that has zero in common with their candidate. In AZ it was proven that signatures of petition for him were fraudulent. A Republican rally in OR was put together to get Nader on the ballot. The only ones that want him on the ballot are Republicans. Ask Hoover, he worked in IA to get Nader on the ballot because he knows that it will cost Kerry votes. If his own party can't get him on the ballot, he doesn't belong there.
Don't get all high and mighty about this being non-partisan. As strongly as Democrats are going into these states to prove Nader doesn't belong on the ballot, Republicans are going just as hard to get him on the ballot. Shouldn't the Reform Party being doing that?

Sort of Like Clinton's campaign helping the Ross Perot campaign.

KCWolfman
09-13-2004, 11:33 PM
What does it matter who gets him on the ballot? Are you stating that he doesn't deserve to be on the ballot because a different party is collecting votes?

If so, aren't people like DenverChief dishonest and immoral for registering Republican merely to vote the least likely candidate to a ticket?

I eagerly await your response condemning him.

jettio
09-13-2004, 11:35 PM

I don't know if it is or isn't, but I'm positive that the injunction was blatantly partisan. :)

Are you trying to be funny?

If you are serious, what do you know about the election law in the state of Florida or this particular judge?

I am going to have to figure that you were joking and just forgot the smilie. I put one in there for you. :thumb:

Frazod
09-13-2004, 11:44 PM
Rorge Rubbleyou Roosh or Rohn Rerry?

ROOBY DOOBY DOO!

ROFL

That's funny.

RINGLEADER
09-13-2004, 11:47 PM

You just need to pay a fee and belong to a party to get on the Florida ballot and the Dems were contesting. They evidently don't believe they can stand up to the competition that Ralph Nader presents so they try to sue him off the ballot.

Infidel Goat
09-14-2004, 07:54 AM
What does it matter who gets him on the ballot?

Will you feel the same way if democrats find some guy named "Bill First" and get him on swing ballots as a third party candidate in 2008 against your favorite senator?

--Infidel Goat

Donger
09-14-2004, 08:57 AM
Are you trying to be funny?

If you are serious, what do you know about the election law in the state of Florida or this particular judge?

I am going to have to figure that you were joking and just forgot the smilie. I put one in there for you. :thumb:

I was serious.

"siding with a Democratic challenge that the Reform Party did not qualify as a national party under state law."

KCWolfman
09-14-2004, 10:07 AM
Will you feel the same way if democrats find some guy named "Bill First" and get him on swing ballots as a third party candidate in 2008 against your favorite senator?

--Infidel Goat
Sure I would.

I have stated thus several times with several analogies. While it would piss me off on a personal level, I understand that the more choices the better for our nation.

The thing that bothers me is the crazy "partisan" cry from the dems when all they have done is act partisan to keep a third choice from the people they supposedly represent.

Pitt Gorilla
09-14-2004, 10:35 AM
If so, aren't people like DenverChief dishonest and immoral for registering Republican merely to vote the least likely candidate to a ticket?

I eagerly await your response condemning him.Some douche wrote an article urging people to do something very similar... :)
BTW, I "condemn" that sort of action...

whoman69
09-14-2004, 07:42 PM
What does it matter who gets him on the ballot? Are you stating that he doesn't deserve to be on the ballot because a different party is collecting votes?

I eagerly await your response condemning him.
Is DenverChief the only one doing this? With no Republican challenger this year, how many Republicans do you think voted in Democratic primaries or caucuses. Are there any penalities if you register for one party but vote for another? Does your vote count any more if you vote for the same party you register as? That has always been the case when an incumbent is running unapposed. Doesn't make it right.
If Ralph Nader is going to get on the ballot it should be because people in his own party give a crap that he gets on there. The entire groundswell to get him on the ballot has been from the Republican side, not because they want to vote for him, but because they are hoping enough people will see him there and toss their vote away. The Republicans get a bonus candidate on their side. They correctly figure any vote for Nader is a vote for them.

KCWolfman
09-14-2004, 07:44 PM
Is DenverChief the only one doing this? With no Republican challenger this year, how many Republicans do you think voted in Democratic primaries or caucuses. Are there any penalities if you register for one party but vote for another? Does your vote count any more if you vote for the same party you register as? That has always been the case when an incumbent is running unapposed. Doesn't make it right.
If Ralph Nader is going to get on the ballot it should be because people in his own party give a crap that he gets on there. The entire groundswell to get him on the ballot has been from the Republican side, not because they want to vote for him, but because they are hoping enough people will see him there and toss their vote away. The Republicans get a bonus candidate on their side. They correctly figure any vote for Nader is a vote for them.
You are a hypocrite. Just re-read your argument.

Synopsis - Democrats aren't the only ones who are registering immorally, so big deal.
Republicans are immorally registering a candidate.

If Nader is only being supported by Republicans as you hypothesize, you should be happy as they will be the only ones voting for him.

whoman69
09-14-2004, 08:11 PM
You are a hypocrite. Just re-read your argument.

Synopsis - Democrats aren't the only ones who are registering immorally, so big deal.
Republicans are immorally registering a candidate.

If Nader is only being supported by Republicans as you hypothesize, you should be happy as they will be the only ones voting for him.
You throw that word around so much its become meaningless. You want to know the true meaning of the word then look in the mirror. You condemn DenverChief for his action, I merely point out he's not alone. I also said that what he and others who vote in the opposite party's elections are wrong. Did you just fly by that?
I also stated that Republicans are not getting Nader on the ballot to vote for him. They are hoping that others will see him on the ballot an throw their vote away.
Are you actually denying that Republicans are working for him?
Hello, I'm trying to get Ralph Nader on the Ballot here in Iowa. I was wondering if any of you would consider helping out by getting your friend, family or others to sign. I can email you the PDF. You have to be of voting age on election day, and from Iowa.

First off I am a Bush Supporter.
First off I am a Bush Supporter.
If Ralph Nader is on the ballot in Iowa, I think he will pull 3000 or so votes away from Kerry. A vote for Nader is like a vote for Bush, it hurts the Democrats.
Bush lost Iowa by 4,200 votes in 2000. trust me, getting Nader on the ballot will help Bush in November.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=93252&highlight=Nader

FringeNC
09-14-2004, 08:19 PM
Who cares one way or another. Bush will win Florida by double-digits.

KCWolfman
09-15-2004, 10:40 AM
You throw that word around so much its become meaningless. You want to know the true meaning of the word then look in the mirror. You condemn DenverChief for his action, I merely point out he's not alone. I also said that what he and others who vote in the opposite party's elections are wrong. Did you just fly by that?
I also stated that Republicans are not getting Nader on the ballot to vote for him. They are hoping that others will see him on the ballot an throw their vote away.
Are you actually denying that Republicans are working for him?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=93252&highlight=Nader
Who said I denied anything? I signed a petition myself. I see nothing illegal OR immoral about it.

Again! If it is ONLY Republicans registering Nader, then you have nothing to worry about as ONLY Republicans would vote for him. Your complaints are without base.

HC_Chief
09-15-2004, 10:43 AM
I find it troubling that a political party would put so many resources in place to block a man from running for potus.