PDA

View Full Version : Powell Concerned by Putin's political changes

KC Jones
09-14-2004, 10:34 AM
Seems there is some concern Putin is using the fallout from the terrorist attack to consolidate power...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=615&e=1&u=/nm/20040914/pl_nm/russia_usa_dc

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) said on Tuesday he had concerns about Russian President Vladimir Putin (news - web sites)'s sweeping political changes.

"In effect this is pulling back (on) some of the democratic reforms, as seen by the international community, that have occurred in the past," Powell told Reuters in an interview.

Putin ordered sweeping changes to Russia's political system on Monday to help combat terrorism but drew quick accusations of exploiting this month's bloody school siege in Beslan to increase his power.

The Kremlin leader told top Russian officials he wanted a new election law to limit the number of political parties and to have full control over nominating regional leaders.

"We understand the need to fight against terrorism ... but in an attempt to go after terrorists I think one has to strike a proper balance to make sure that you don't move in a direction that takes you away from the democratic reforms or the democratic process," Powell said, adding Washington would raise the issue with Moscow "in the days ahead."

Baby Lee
09-14-2004, 10:42 AM
The Kremlin leader told top Russian officials he wanted a new election law to limit the number of political parties and to have full control over nominating regional leaders.
Maybe he's scared Nader will get on the ballot. ROFL

HC_Chief
09-14-2004, 10:43 AM
I am concerned as well. The powers he is seeking are very much like the powers granted to the old Soviet Premier. Free elections and freedom of press are subordinated.

memyselfI
09-14-2004, 10:44 AM
Seems there is some concern Putin is using the fallout from the terrorist attack to consolidate power...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=615&e=1&u=/nm/20040914/pl_nm/russia_usa_dc

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) said on Tuesday he had concerns about Russian President Vladimir Putin (news - web sites)'s sweeping political changes.

"In effect this is pulling back (on) some of the democratic reforms, as seen by the international community, that have occurred in the past," Powell told Reuters in an interview.

Putin ordered sweeping changes to Russia's political system on Monday to help combat terrorism but drew quick accusations of exploiting this month's bloody school siege in Beslan to increase his power.

"We understand the need to fight against terrorism ... but in an attempt to go after terrorists I think one has to strike a proper balance to make sure that you don't move in a direction that takes you away from the democratic reforms or the democratic process," Powell said, adding Washington would raise the issue with Moscow "in the days ahead."

WHAT???? He's concerned that Putin might use terrorism for POLITICAL GAIN?????

Wow, that is a shocking and quite unique ploy. :hmmm:

KCWolfman
09-14-2004, 12:13 PM

Come back when you have something substantial and tangible.

I have yet to see any process in which the POTUS has stated he wants to formerly curry choices from each region and tell the people who they have to vote for Senate and House.

Man, you guys reek of desperation anymore.

Duck Dog
09-14-2004, 12:15 PM
Come back when you have something substantial and tangible.

I have yet to see any process in which the POTUS has stated he wants to formerly curry choices from each region and tell the people who they have to vote for Senate and House.

Man, you guys reek of desperation anymore.

That's not what you're smelling.

Hel'n
09-14-2004, 12:18 PM

Yeah, I believe Powell is not surprised at what is happening, but he still needs to make the statement so that it might slow things down a bit...

I know you're also using irony because of our own situation here at home... and I don't disagree...

But Bush, as bad as he is, is not Putin...

But I'd still rather have Kerry...

memyselfI
09-14-2004, 12:52 PM
Yeah, I believe Powell is not surprised at what is happening, but he still needs to make the statement so that it might slow things down a bit...

I know you're also using irony because of our own situation here at home... and I don't disagree...

But Bush, as bad as he is, is not Putin...

You think Putin is going to engage in what is in his mind WWIII???? If not, then he's not as bad as DUHbya, the great 'crusader'. IMO. :hmmm:

Kraut
09-14-2004, 01:39 PM

Your a disgrace.

Kraut
09-14-2004, 01:44 PM
Is it any surprise that he is making this power move? The guy is the former head of the KGB. I'm sure all along he has wanted to do this. He now has found the right time. I would not be surprised if he takes Russia back to the good ol days. A man like this doesn't change his old ways overnight.

KC Jones
09-14-2004, 02:18 PM
Is it any surprise that he is making this power move? The guy is the former head of the KGB. I'm sure all along he has wanted to do this. He now has found the right time. I would not be surprised if he takes Russia back to the good ol days. A man like this doesn't change his old ways overnight.

scary eh?

I kinda doubt the Russians will gladly hand over their hard earned democracy too easily though. He'd need a military willing to fire on the crowds and I'm not certain he has that kind of support.

the Talking Can
09-14-2004, 02:48 PM
This why I don't understand people singing the praises of Putin.."oh man, he'll deal with the terrorists, just wait!"

Putin is a tyrant. Putin is thoroughly corput. Putin has blood on his hands. And now, under the guise of "fighting terror" he's to get rid of what few, mostly decorative, democratic structures exist in what is really a mafia/military state. The majority of the wealth of the country is held by a handful of families, all media is state owned or state controlled.

I feel sorry for the Russian citizen. Besieged by terrorists and their leader.

KCWolfman
09-14-2004, 03:12 PM
This why I don't understand people singing the praises of Putin.."oh man, he'll deal with the terrorists, just wait!"

Putin is a tyrant. Putin is thoroughly corput. Putin has blood on his hands. And now, under the guise of "fighting terror" he's to get rid of what few, mostly decorative, democratic structures exist in what is really a mafia/military state. The majority of the wealth of the country is held by a handful of families, all media is state owned or state controlled.

I feel sorry for the Russian citizen. Besieged by terrorists and their leader.
Duhnise seems to think it is worse here.

If not, then he's not as bad as DUHbya, the great 'crusader'. IMO

Ultra Peanut
09-14-2004, 03:15 PM
There's someone in the bushes! RED TEAM GO! RED TEAM GO!

memyselfI
09-14-2004, 05:14 PM
Duhnise seems to think it is worse here.

Not worse HERE for us in the US but worse for the world. Putin hasn't made any ultimatums to the world about being with him or against him...

KCWolfman
09-14-2004, 06:02 PM
Not worse HERE for us in the US but worse for the world. Putin hasn't made any ultimatums to the world about being with him or against him...
The sad fact that you even compare the two is pathetic beyond all hope of reasonable conversation.

Even Bill, Kill 'em All in Waco, Clinton wasn't as bad a Putin. He doesn't have to challenge the world, he can't maintain his own home because of radical insurgent sympathizers who outnumber reasonable people.

patteeu
09-15-2004, 12:35 AM
Your a disgrace.

Congratulations, it only took you 13,000+ posts to notice. ;)

WoodDraw
09-15-2004, 01:21 AM
Putin hasn't made any ultimatums to the world about being with him or against him...

No, Putin went a step further. Bush made a political speech that did nothing more than give the media a good line to throw into all of their articles. You are either with us or against us. Uh, yeah, no shit. Putin, on the other hand, is consolidating his power and moving Russia away from democracy and back to a dictatorship. If you don't like Bush, fine. He has his faults and certainly has made his fair share of mistakes. But, you have the chance to vote him out his November if you disagree with him and he'll be here 4 more years at most.. Some of you have gotten so blinded by this election crap that you can't even see some of the problems going on in the rest of the world.

Kraut
09-15-2004, 04:35 AM
Congratulations, it only took you 13,000+ posts to notice. ;)
ROFL Oh I had noticed awhile back, but finally had to put in words. It makes me feel better :)

Kraut
09-15-2004, 04:36 AM
:shake:

Ultra Peanut
09-15-2004, 04:41 AM
Pootie Poot to Bush'z Krew: "Why you all up in mah grill, dawgs?"

Kraut
09-15-2004, 04:42 AM
scary eh?

I kinda doubt the Russians will gladly hand over their hard earned democracy too easily though. He'd need a military willing to fire on the crowds and I'm not certain he has that kind of support.
Your right to a point. If their democracy is strong it would take troops to squash the people and keep them in line. But if the democracy is on thin ice, which I think it is, it wouldnt take too much if any force to take it back to the Soviet way. I have heard that many over there say that it was better for them under Communism. I think it comes down to how Putin plays on the people's nationalism and how full their stomach's are.

BigMeatballDave
09-15-2004, 06:21 AM
:shake: I'll pray for you...