PDA

View Full Version : "CBS News plans statement to 'clarify' Bush Guard docs story..."

Cochise
09-15-2004, 10:08 AM
(per drudge)

Will CBS now be the last group to drop off the list of people who still maintain that these documents are authentic?

If they admit the documents are forged, will they then reveal their source?

Will jAZ's head explode?

All these questions and more to be answered soon...

Mr. Kotter
09-15-2004, 10:14 AM
THIS ought to be interesting....and fun to watch.... ROFL

siberian khatru
09-15-2004, 10:14 AM
I don't think they can outright admit they're forged. They'd have to reveal their source, and that might be even more devastating to them.

I think they're going to insist that the authenticity of the docs is ultimately "unknowable," i.e., reasonable people can disagree, but that they contain "larger truths" that must be addressed. I said from the beginning that someone's gonna argue that these docs were based on handwritten notes or, better yet, conversations that existed 30 years ago, and I think we're already seeing that.

BTW, my theory is that Rather's "unimpeachable source" for the docs is his daughter, who is active in Texas Democratic politics. She got them from Ben Barnes and vouched for their authenticity. That's why Rather is digging in on this. Just a theory.

Donger
09-15-2004, 10:21 AM
(per drudge)

Will CBS now be the last group to drop off the list of people who still maintain that these documents are authentic?

If they admit the documents are forged, will they then reveal their source?

Will jAZ's head explode?

All these questions and more to be answered soon...

Ever see Scanners?

Cochise
09-15-2004, 10:25 AM
I don't think they can outright admit they're forged. They'd have to reveal their source, and that might be even more devastating to them.

I think they're going to insist that the authenticity of the docs is ultimately "unknowable," i.e., reasonable people can disagree, but that they contain "larger truths" that must be addressed. I said from the beginning that someone's gonna argue that these docs were based on handwritten notes or, better yet, conversations that existed 30 years ago, and I think we're already seeing that.

BTW, my theory is that Rather's "unimpeachable source" for the docs is his daughter, who is active in Texas Democratic politics. She got them from Ben Barnes and vouched for their authenticity. That's why Rather is digging in on this. Just a theory.

Good take.

To me the whole thing smells like the sKerry campaign. But I'm sure they have covered their tracks well enough if it came from them.

Claims are made, then the claims are cast in a very doubtful light, at least, and then they move to claiming that the real truth is unknowable, that it's none of your business, or that the claims themselves aren't the issue but some other topic is what you should pay attention to instead.

You're right, they won't outright admit they are forged. They have to salvage some vestige of credibility amongst... well, I guess people who haven't been paying attention.

They'll continue to obscure and attempt to move the documents from being the issue, and it's already happening like you are seeing. Claiming they were from handwritten notes, claiming they were notes of a converstaion. What's funny though, is that they will end up claiming the truth is unknowable, but use it to indict Bush's guard record which has got to be unknowable at this point, or they wouldn't need to be forging documents to 'prove' he didn't serve.

It will end up going the old familiar route... "it's not that there is any evidence, but we should cause a big hubub because of the seriousness of the charge".

KCTitus
09-15-2004, 10:35 AM
The only clarification needed is that it's the seriousness of the charge that matters...

RINGLEADER
09-15-2004, 11:42 AM

Fantastic post.

I agree completely.

Also hear that Rather is going to interview the 86-year old secretary to support his claims that the "larger truths" support him. I'm sure he'll be sure to include her statement from last week that she didn't know anything about Bush or her statement yesterday that she feels Bush was "selected, not elected".

RINGLEADER
09-15-2004, 11:43 AM
"It doesn't matter if the documents are real or not, it is the important issues that they raise..."

Donger
09-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Freepers can be pretty darn creative sometimes...

ROFL

RINGLEADER
09-15-2004, 01:30 PM
See-BS could definitively prove their case by a) purchasing whatever typewriter they want to purchase - not even those in use by the National Guard, but ANY typewriter - and duplicate the memos. We know that the default settings on Microsoft Word can do it perfectly...get a typewriter to do it Dan. I imagine they can't because although there were typewriters that could do proportional spacing and typewriters that could do superscript and typewriters that could do the Times New Roman font, no one has produced the single typewriter that could do ALL of these things.

Second, produce just ONE other memo or document from Killian's files that has the proportional spacing, centering, superscript and font style. I imagine they can't because none exist.

Cochise
09-15-2004, 02:24 PM
CBSNEWS PLANS STATEMENT TO 'CLARIFY' BUSH GUARD DOCUMENTS STORY... DELAYS NOON EDT ANNOUNCEMENT; NEW TIME: 3:30PM EDT... DEVELOPING...

Should be coming out any minute now.

In a related story Rassmussen reports that 27% of Americans think the memos are authentic.

Duck Dog
09-15-2004, 02:27 PM
CBSNEWS PLANS STATEMENT TO 'CLARIFY' BUSH GUARD DOCUMENTS STORY... DELAYS NOON EDT ANNOUNCEMENT; NEW TIME: 3:30PM EDT... DEVELOPING...

In a related story Rassmussen reports that 27% of Americans think the memos are authentic.

Where? In San Fransisco?

HC_Chief
09-15-2004, 02:41 PM

16% Find the story relevant in regards to Bush's bid for potus ROFL

Donger
09-15-2004, 02:55 PM

ROFL

CBSNEWS PLANS STATEMENT TO 'CLARIFY' BUSH GUARD DOCUMENTS STORY... NEW TIME: 5:00PM EDT...

mlyonsd
09-15-2004, 02:57 PM
ROFL

CBSNEWS PLANS STATEMENT TO 'CLARIFY' BUSH GUARD DOCUMENTS STORY... NEW TIME: 5:00PM EDT...

Rather had a big office and it's taking longer then expected for him to clean it out....we could only be so lucky.

KCWolfman
09-15-2004, 03:05 PM
Freepers can be pretty darn creative sometimes...

ROFL
That has to be the single best pic made of this entire election, hands down.

What volumes it speaks.

Cochise
09-15-2004, 03:06 PM
ROFL

Hope they get the statement out in time for the evening news!

KCWolfman
09-15-2004, 03:09 PM
ROFL

Hope they get the statement out in time for the evening news!
Just wait until Dan breaks the story that his attacker in 1986 was actually a time traveling GWB and he has the documents to prove it. He apparently misunderstood Bush as he was striking him and shouting "Why don't you let me be and go after Kenneth Lay?" not "What's the frequency, Kenneth?"

Donger
09-15-2004, 05:28 PM
Statement by the President of CBS News, Andrew Heyward:

"We established to our satisfaction that the memos were accurate or we would not have put them on television. There was a great deal of coroborating [sic] evidence from people in a position to know. Having said that, given all the questions about them, we believe we should redouble our efforts to answer those questions, so that's what we are doing."

Matt Helm
09-15-2004, 05:34 PM
Confusious say:
If you in a hole over your head, stop digging!!!

Dan!!!! Stop digging!!!!!!ROFL

Cochise
09-15-2004, 05:39 PM
...Having said that, given all the questions about them, we believe we should redouble our efforts to answer those questions, so that's what we are doing."

...after The Dan said there would be no investigation :hmmm:

Donger
09-15-2004, 05:41 PM
...after The Dan said there would be no investigation :hmmm:

The part that leaped out at me was that they say the memos are "accurate," NOT authentic.

Raiderhader
09-15-2004, 05:49 PM
Statement by the President of CBS News, Andrew Heyward:

"We established to our satisfaction that the memos were accurate or we would not have put them on television. There was a great deal of coroborating [sic] evidence from people in a position to know. Having said that, given all the questions about them, we believe we should redouble our efforts to answer those questions, so that's what we are doing."

On the local news at noon today they had two document analyzers on who viewed the documents for CBS and both said they had questions about their authenticity and passed those along to CBS telling them that the same questions were going to be raised after they were made public.

In the other thread that annoying, annoying, annoying woman suggests that this is a Republican conspiracy. Even if that were the case, this proves that CBS doesn't care about getting things right, they care about trying to manipulate an election to the best of their ability for their guy.

Donger
09-15-2004, 06:25 PM
From the Boston Globe:

For the record
September 15, 2004

Correction: Because of an editing error, the headline on a Page One story Saturday on whether documents released by CBS News about President Bush's Texas Air National Guard service are genuine ("Authenticity backed on Bush documents") did not accurately reflect the content of the story. The story quoted one analyst saying that the documents could have been produced on typewriters available in the early 1970s, but the analyst did not vouch for the authenticity of the documents. A second analyst quoted in the story said he doubts the documents are authentic.