PDA

View Full Version : 'Bribe' got bomber on Russian jet

Loki
09-15-2004, 08:10 PM
MOSCOW, Russia (CNN) -- One of two female suicide bombers who set off explosives on Russian passenger jets, killing all 89 aboard, bribed her way aboard the plane, according to Russian Prosecutor General Vladimir Ustinov.

Ustinov made his comments on the August 24 crash in an interview with Interfax news agency and the Russian newspaper Rossiiskaya Gazeta.

The prosecutor general said a man identified by his last name as Artyunov was illegally selling airline tickets at the airport. He helped the two women obtain tickets after taking 2,000 rubles ($69) from one and 3,000 rubles ($103) from the other.

He then bribed a Siberia Airlines official responsible for controlling passenger registration and boarding by paying him 1,000 rubles ($35). The suicide bomber was able to board the plane en route to the southern Russian town of Sochi.

The prosecutor general also said the two women, identified as Aminat Nagayeva and Satsia Dzhebirkhanova, from Grozny, Chechnya, earlier had been taken into custody when they arrived at Moscow's Domodeveo airport accompanied by two Chechen men.

Police officers confiscated their passports and handed them over to a police captain responsible for anti-terrorist operations for a further check. The captain let them go without checking them and they set about obtaining tickets for the later flights in the same building.

Both the man illegally selling tickets and the Siberia Airlines official have been arrested, according to Ustinov.

The crashes took place ahead of a regional election in the rebellious southern territory of Chechnya, where Russian troops have battled separatist guerrillas since 1994.

Chechen voters elected a new president, Alu Alkhanov, following the assassination in May of then-President Akhmad Kadyrov. (Full story) (http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/08/30/chechnya.election/index.html)

Days later, in the southern Russian town of Beslan, a group of 32 terrorists stormed a school and took about 1,200 adults and children captive in a 48-hour siege that ended with the deaths of at least 335 hostages, about half of them children. (Full story) (http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/09/03/russia.school/index.html/)

The hostages were killed on the morning of September 3 when a standoff between Russian troops and the hostage-takers came to a bloody end, with terrorists setting off bombs in the gymnasium where most of the hostages were held and shooting those who tried to flee.

Russian prosecutors have charged a Chechen man with terrorism and murder in the Beslan siege, AP quoted the Interfax news agency as reporting.

Cochise
09-15-2004, 10:18 PM
This story is a fabrication. We all know that it wasn't terrorists that did this. :rolleyes:

RINGLEADER
09-16-2004, 12:35 AM
This story is a fabrication. We all know that it wasn't terrorists that did this. :rolleyes:

Why? Was Dan Rather pimping it?

SBK
09-16-2004, 12:38 AM
$35 bucks to let terrorists on a plane?

Pants
09-16-2004, 12:43 AM
He didn't know those tow were going to blow up the plane. I'm sure it was a standard operation to both the seller and the airline official. Only this time there were consequences.

2bikemike
09-16-2004, 01:54 AM
He didn't know those tow were going to blow up the plane. I'm sure it was a standard operation to both the seller and the airline official. Only this time there were consequences.

I agree it sounds like standard procedure over there. But damn thats awful cheap. (I am fairly certain thats probably a lot over there.)

Pants
09-16-2004, 01:58 AM
Yeah that's what I'm guessing. I think Russia might be corrupted in pretty much every big gov't and some non-gov't organizations.

KC Jones
09-16-2004, 02:11 AM
Russia is a mafia state now. Everything is done via backdoor channels, bribes, kickbacks, etc. If you were to build a successful business in Russia and didn't start paying off the right people or have your own mercenary force, you'd end up dead. My former employer operates throughout Eastern Europe and the company always chose not to go into Russia for these very reasons.

Ari Chi3fs
09-16-2004, 02:44 AM
They are really targeting the Russians with terrorism lately... man, these terrorists are fuct in their heads man.

Cochise
09-16-2004, 06:10 AM
Why? Was Dan Rather pimping it?

No, it was just bad fuel. Crankie told me so.