PDA

View Full Version : Salary cap question: If we don't use the $6 million that we still have ........

John_Wayne
09-16-2004, 09:27 AM
.......... under the cap, what happens to it?

Do we lose it? Does Lamar pocket it? If we don't sign free agents with it, can we still use it in some way? Can we use it to sign next year's free agents to long term contracts this year? That would be a really good use of that money, in my view. If we could sign them on this year's salary cap, that would save money for next year's salary cap. We could then hit the free agent market or accumulate several draft picks and use the money for the rookie pool. Is that how it works?

KCTitus
09-16-2004, 09:29 AM
It's an accounting entry...it's not 'real' money. What isnt spent 'under the cap' doesnt roll over. The cap number will be roughly the same if not slightly larger next year and teams will once again have to make sure the salaries that they pay fall under that cap number.

Phobia
09-16-2004, 09:30 AM
No, it isn't how it works. Use it or lose it. We have until the first part of December to use that money or it is gone.

Mr. Laz
09-16-2004, 09:30 AM
we just lose it....

unless the chiefs restructure contracts to use the cap room this year and free up room in the future.

lamar hunt doesn't "pocket it" ... it's an imaginary(paper) number ... there is nothing to "pocket"

King_Chief_Fan
09-16-2004, 09:31 AM
.......... under the cap, what happens to it?

Do we lose it? Does Lamar pocket it? If we don't sign free agents with it, can we still use it in some way? Can we use it to sign next year's free agents to long term contracts this year? That would be a really good use of that money, in my view. If we could sign them on this year's salary cap, that would save money for next year's salary cap. We could then hit the free agent market or accumulate several draft picks and use the money for the rookie pool. Is that how it works?

I wish I can remember where I read this........but, it seems that the under the cap money is being "saved" for next year when some big payments are due to current players. I don't have the who's and the what's.

Mr. Laz
09-16-2004, 09:34 AM
I wish I can remember where I read this........but, it seems that the under the cap money is being "saved" for next year when some big payments are due to current players. I don't have the who's and the what's.

this was some hopeful, imaginary idea by some planeteer members who are looking for excuses why the chiefs didn't spend all the cap room this year.

we have no idea whether it's true or not..... although it's feasible

King_Chief_Fan
09-16-2004, 09:35 AM
this was some hopeful, imaginary idea by some planeteer members who are looking for excuses why the chiefs didn't spend all the cap room this year.

we have no idea whether it's true or not..... although it's feasible

Now that you mention it, I think you are right

Phobia
09-16-2004, 09:35 AM

No - you misunderstood. We're supposedly not signing free agents to consume this year's cap money because the salaries of several of our players rise next year and already take up the cap for 2005.

Which, is total crap. They're just rationalizing. If for any reason a team is not up against the cap, they're losing a competitive edge. It's like a race car team competing against other cars for Six Million Dollars less than the other teams are spending.

Chiefnj
09-16-2004, 09:36 AM
I thought Lamar pledged to take all season ticket holders out to Hooters for wings and beer with the savings. Damn profootballtalk rumors!!

KCTitus
09-16-2004, 09:38 AM
I thought Lamar pledged to take all season ticket holders out to Hooters for wings and beer with the savings. Damn profootballtalk rumors!!

:D Nice!

John_Wayne
09-16-2004, 09:45 AM
unless the chiefs restructure contracts to use the cap room this year and free up room in the future. This is what I'm talking about. Can we restructure contracts this year which will free up money on next year's cap?

htismaqe
09-16-2004, 09:48 AM
Cap room does not roll over from year to year.

Saving cap room in now way helps us pay for next year's bonuses and contracts.

Being $6M under the cap (IF we truly are) gets us NOTHING.

Stinger
09-16-2004, 09:53 AM

Well it appears that it gets you prime real estate on the first page of a Bulletin board.

htismaqe
09-16-2004, 10:42 AM
Well it appears that it gets you prime real estate on the first page of a Bulletin board.

Rep-worthy.

Mark M
09-16-2004, 10:46 AM
I hear that Carl and Co. are going to buy some automatic weapons with that money ...

you know, just in case terrorists attack Arrowhead.

MM
~~:spock:

KCTitus
09-16-2004, 10:48 AM
I hear that Carl and Co. are going to buy some automatic weapons with that money ...

MM

You mean the kind that were illegal until Monday? Kewl....

ZootedGranny
09-16-2004, 04:11 PM
The Chiefs do have the option of tying up the money in unattainable incentives, such as Tony Richardson rushing for 2000 yards. After Tony fails to run for 2000, the next season the unreached incentive money is added to the team's cap space.

The Chiefs have done this recently, but the Eagles have been doing this for a while, and it explains why they generally have 3 to 4 million more in cap space every year.

ExtremeChief
09-16-2004, 04:19 PM
Cap room does not roll over from year to year.

Saving cap room in now way helps us pay for next year's bonuses and contracts.

It saves Lamar $6M though, in real dollars.. doesn't it???? That would be 6 million he didn't spend this year.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-16-2004, 04:23 PM

MM
I heard they were gonna give it to the Kerry campaign....

:)

tk13
09-16-2004, 04:32 PM
No - you misunderstood. We're supposedly not signing free agents to consume this year's cap money because the salaries of several of our players rise next year and already take up the cap for 2005.

Which, is total crap. They're just rationalizing. If for any reason a team is not up against the cap, they're losing a competitive edge. It's like a race car team competing against other cars for Six Million Dollars less than the other teams are spending.
For the 7,438,249,248,204,589,438,834th time, I'm not making freaking excuses, it's just a possible scenario that at least makes some feasible sense. It's an assumption, which in my mind is no different than the assumption that Lamar is just being cheap. We're all just brainstorming feasible ideas. Nobody's right, nobody's wrong. In reality there's probably some line of thinking going on behind the scenes that none of us could guess because we don't know enough about the cap, nor the specifics of the contracts we have right now. We just don't know.

And I haven't read through these threads throughly enough, but where did this $6 million dollar cap number come from? Did they release some new information on the radio or something today? This is the first I've heard of an almost uniform number agreed upon between everybody of how much cap space we have...

the Talking Can
09-16-2004, 04:33 PM
I heard that Lamar keeps a barrell full of $20's in his bathroom that he uses instead of toilet paper.