PDA

View Full Version : I love Vermeil's style, but sometimes I get so irritated by it.

Rick
09-16-2004, 02:17 PM
Surely behind closed doors the coaches must be pissed that Holliday can be fooled as many times as he was. Yet Vermeil, in public, like he should, backed his player by saying he "had some trouble with the bootleg". I like his positive style, the way he supports his players and coaches, but sometimes I think he just needs to rip some ass. Why do it with someone like a punter (Jason Faker) but refuse to do it when everyone else saw it so obviously. I watched the game (again for the 3rd time) and can't hardly stomach it. Before everyone says it, yes I'm over it and am ready to move on, but listening to the press conference got me going again. Damn, Holliday never even considered looking for it the 250th time they ran it. "Some trouble"- $hit.

|Zach|
09-16-2004, 02:19 PM
I don't associate the things NFL coaches say to the public with things they do in private with their football team.

InChiefsHell
09-16-2004, 02:23 PM
I'm sure DV is less fluffy behind closed doors. And even if he isn't, I'd bet Holliday lost 20 lbs of ass after Gun bit it off...

Calcountry
09-16-2004, 02:28 PM
Surely behind closed doors the coaches must be pissed that Holliday can be fooled as many times as he was. Yet Vermeil, in public, like he should, backed his player by saying he "had some trouble with the bootleg". I like his positive style, the way he supports his players and coaches, but sometimes I think he just needs to rip some ass. Why do it with someone like a punter (Jason Faker) but refuse to do it when everyone else saw it so obviously. I watched the game (again for the 3rd time) and can't hardly stomach it. Before everyone says it, yes I'm over it and am ready to move on, but listening to the press conference got me going again. Damn, Holliday never even considered looking for it the 250th time they ran it. "Some trouble"- $hit.
Don't think that the Rat isn't aware of Doc Holliday's tendency to bite. Props to the Rat for doing it again, again, and AGAIN if we aren't going to stop it. I believe Hank Stram had that philosophy in our Super Bowl win.

donkhater
09-16-2004, 02:33 PM
I just can't believe that Holliday didn't do what he was told most of the time.

Why?

Because it didn't matter who was on that end. Be it Holliday, Hicks or Stills, they ALL bit hard on the run fake and sold out to stop the run. Containing Plummer clearly wasn't on their minds.

How many times over the last two games with Denver have you seen the DE stay home and contain? I bet you could count it on one hand. If the game plan was to have backside contain on Plummer and the running game, then KC has, hands down, the dumbest set of DE's in the HISTORY of football.

Something tells me, though, that backside contain wasn't emphasized a whole lot. Why? God only knows. Because even when the DE crashed down the line, he never got to the back to make the tackle. He just as well should have stayed home to guard against the boot or cutback.

Maddening.

|Zach|
09-16-2004, 02:36 PM
I think the big problem was the run Q was getting. I really believe that it is nearly impossible no matter who is lined up at DE to make plays on that bootleg if you are getting gashed play after play by the tailback. When you are getting beat by the run you have to flow hard to try and stop it...

Lbedrock1
09-16-2004, 02:49 PM
Don't be over it because we have to play them one more time and we even have vick coming to town. If we don't get it corrected M. Vick will look like a all world QB. It concrens me also that one play could trick a team sop many times in one game. If nine men can't tackle the RB then they don't need to be playing. They should always have two player guarding the backside for the bootleg.

ck_IN
09-16-2004, 02:59 PM
And that is one of my beefs with DV. Imagine Parcells coaching this team and what his reaction (public and private) would be!

When you soft pedal things in public sometimes it doesn't matter what you say in private. The offender only listens to what they want to hear e.g., the public, and ignore the private. DV needs to rip some people and do it in clear public. Unforunately he doesn't have it in him. I'd love to see Parcells with this defense.

penguinz
09-16-2004, 03:12 PM
My question is.... Why the f(*k did you watch the game 3 times?

tk13
09-16-2004, 03:13 PM
I think the big problem was the run Q was getting. I really believe that it is nearly impossible no matter who is lined up at DE to make plays on that bootleg if you are getting gashed play after play by the tailback. When you are getting beat by the run you have to flow hard to try and stop it...
Not only that, but the second we start shooting the DE's upfield to guard the bootleg, they were probably gonna start running counter or cutback plays right at where that weakside DE was....

htismaqe
09-16-2004, 03:15 PM
I just can't believe that Holliday didn't do what he was told most of the time.

Why?

Because it didn't matter who was on that end. Be it Holliday, Hicks or Stills, they ALL bit hard on the run fake and sold out to stop the run. Containing Plummer clearly wasn't on their minds.

How many times over the last two games with Denver have you seen the DE stay home and contain? I bet you could count it on one hand. If the game plan was to have backside contain on Plummer and the running game, then KC has, hands down, the dumbest set of DE's in the HISTORY of football.

Something tells me, though, that backside contain wasn't emphasized a whole lot. Why? God only knows. Because even when the DE crashed down the line, he never got to the back to make the tackle. He just as well should have stayed home to guard against the boot or cutback.

Maddening.

Actually, several of us mentioned it in preseason and Gunther himself mentioned it after the Denver debacle.

The players are still trying to play read-and-react...they haven't yet gotten Robinson out of their system.

DTLB58
09-16-2004, 03:52 PM

I agree with you 100% here. I had the same feeling when I read Vermeils press conference yesterday, that I posted here. When he said "He likes what he sees on the defensive side of the ball"

What? We just got our asses ripped by the Donkies again, and it dosen't matter which RB they put on the feild since Vermeil has been here they have all ripped his defense to shreds, but he likes where the defense is heading?
I'm all for positive thinking and building confidence but exagerrating the the truth is another thing.

C-Mac
09-16-2004, 03:53 PM
Don't be over it because we have to play them one more time and we even have vick coming to town. If we don't get it corrected M. Vick will look like a all world QB. It concrens me also that one play could trick a team sop many times in one game. If nine men can't tackle the RB then they don't need to be playing. They should always have two player guarding the backside for the bootleg.

Unlike Plummer, Gun will have a spy on Vick(probably Beisel or Fujita ) and I do not expect him to run wild, in fact I expect him to be held in check, forced to pass and harrased constanly by the D-line.

htismaqe
09-16-2004, 04:05 PM
I agree with you 100% here. I had the same feeling when I read Vermeils press conference yesterday, that I posted here. When he said "He likes what he sees on the defensive side of the ball"

What? We just got our asses ripped by the Donkies again, and it dosen't matter which RB they put on the feild since Vermeil has been here they have all ripped his defense to shreds, but he likes where the defense is heading?
I'm all for positive thinking and building confidence but exagerrating the the truth is another thing.

How can a FEELING (I like where the defense is heading) be "exagerrating the truth"?

What did you want him to say? This defense sucks and it's not going to get any better? If he doesn't believe that then THAT would be "exagerrating the truth".

Douche Baggins
09-16-2004, 04:06 PM
Unlike Plummer, Gun will have a spy on Vick(probably Beisel or Fujita ) and I do not expect him to run wild, in fact I expect him to be held in check, forced to pass and harrased constanly by the D-line.

The Chiefs need to spy Plummer next time we play Denver. It's absolutely necessary, IMO.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-16-2004, 04:08 PM
DV is a flacid penis for sure... but I'll be okay with it if we win the Super-Bowl before he leaves.

go bowe
09-16-2004, 07:02 PM
Not only that, but the second we start shooting the DE's upfield to guard the bootleg, they were probably gonna start running counter or cutback plays right at where that weakside DE was....thank you for stating this so concisely - it's what i was thinking too...

the Talking Can
09-16-2004, 07:05 PM
I'd pay to watch Holliday take an I.Q. test.

go bowe
09-16-2004, 07:06 PM
DV is a flacid penis for sure... but I'll be okay with it if we win the Super-Bowl before he leaves.dv is a flacid penis?

gee, where's big daddy when ya really need him?? :p :p :p

milkman
09-16-2004, 09:34 PM
I have never liked Vermeil.
I wasn't happy when he was hired, and I won't be saddened the day he leaves.

And unless this D does improve, and our WR play as well, then the day he leaves, he'll be leaving with the same type of playoff success with the Chiefs that Marty had.

And all this crap I've heard here over the last 3 years about his honesty is just that.

He's not honest.
If anything he sugarcoats almost everything, and leaves me scratching my head, wondering WTF is he talking about.

Don't freakin' tell me that everything is wonderful, or that it will be soon.
I've got eyes.
I can see things aren't all just freakin' marvy, ya Dick!

chris
09-16-2004, 09:49 PM
And that is one of my beefs with DV. Imagine Parcells coaching this team and what his reaction (public and private) would be!

When you soft pedal things in public sometimes it doesn't matter what you say in private. The offender only listens to what they want to hear e.g., the public, and ignore the private. DV needs to rip some people and do it in clear public. Unforunately he doesn't have it in him. I'd love to see Parcells with this defense.

With all due respect, have you ever managed people?

As a CEO who has managed large numbers of people, I like his style of managing "large ego people" aka pro athletes.

There is an old saying: "Criticize in private, praise in public."

Notice that DV DOES criticize his players in public...as a group. Has he not said that if "they don't get it done, then someone else will"???

Criticizing in public may make you as a fan feel that results will occur, but not really.

You can bet your last dollar that within the team, and outside the media, DV pulls no punches.