PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks gouges and refuses to service Marines.

Matt Helm
09-16-2004, 03:10 PM
I received an email from a friend and was surprised at the content. I checked with snopes and copied their response to the allegation. The origin and validity of the report is undetermined at this time.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/starbucks.asp

I have indeed confirmed the fact that Starbucks charged rescue workers $130.00 for 3 cases of bottled water on September 11, 2001, so the following info that was passed on to me would not be surprising to me at all!!

Dear everyone: Please pass this along to anyone you know, this needs to get out in the open. Recently Marines over in Iraq supporting this country in OIF wrote to Starbucks because they wanted to let them know how much they liked their coffee and try to score some free coffee grounds. Starbucks wrote back telling the Marines thanks for their support in their business, but that they don't support the War and anyone in it and that they won't send them the Coffee. So as not to offend them we should not support in buying any Starbucks products. As a War vet and writing to you patriots I feel we should get this out in the open. I know this War might not be very popular with some folks, but that doesn't mean we don't support the boys on the ground fighting street to street and house to house for what they and I believe is right. If you feel the same as I do then pass this along, or you can discard it and I'll never know. Thanks very much for your support to me, and I know you'll all be there again here soon when I deploy once more.

Semper Fidelis,
Sgt Howard C. Wright
1st Force Recon Co
1st Plt PLT RTO

Cochise
09-16-2004, 03:12 PM
Sounds like a hoax to me.

Hel'n
09-16-2004, 03:18 PM
Sounds like a hoax to me.

Hope it's a hoax... otherwise Starbucks can go to hell...

Matt Helm
09-16-2004, 03:20 PM
Quote: <HR SIZE=1>Originally Posted by Cochise
Sounds like a hoax to me. <HR SIZE=1>

Hope it's a hoax... otherwise Starbucks can go to hell...

I checked it on Snopes. I guess we can find out. Anyone live near a Starbucks? Go in and ask for some grounds to be sent to your family member in Iraq. See what they say.

Cochise
09-16-2004, 03:32 PM
Anyone live near a Starbucks?

Doesn't everyone in America live withing spitting distance of one?

Matt Helm
09-16-2004, 03:41 PM

If I could spit 100 miles, yep!!

Duck Dog
09-16-2004, 03:43 PM

Nope.

But I bet this is a hoax. No way a company that large would reply with that much venom.

US tobacco Co sent me two cases of copenhagen during DS. I wrote to them and they sent me two cases and two care packages with letters from the office employees and those who packaged them up.

That was very cool.

Matt Helm
09-16-2004, 03:45 PM
Nope.

But I bet this is a hoax. No way a company that large would reply with that much venom.

US tobacco Co sent me two cases of copenhagen during DS. I wrote to them and they sent me two cases and two care packages with letters from the office employees and those who packaged them up.

That was very cool.

Go to Starbucks with a local servicemembers address and ask them to send him some free coffee. See what they say. Snopes has it as currently undetermined but they did make a statement:

I have indeed confirmed the fact that Starbucks charged rescue workers $130.00 for 3 cases of bottled water on September 11, 2001, so the following info that was passed on to me would not be surprising to me at all!!

Duck Dog
09-16-2004, 03:49 PM
Go to Starbucks with a local servicemembers address and ask them to send him some free coffee. See what they say. Snopes has it as currently undetermined but they did make a statement:

That's not going to work. They'll think I'm trying to scam them.

I'll write my buddy and see if he will do it from Iraq. That way they receive a letter from there.

I will also ask my bud in Afgahnistan to do the same.

Cochise
09-16-2004, 03:50 PM

Now, I think that starbucks embodies all that is disgusting and corporate and yuppie about the world, and I have got no love for $5 cups of coffee.

I just simply find it hard to believe that a company would set themselves up the raise the ire of half the country like that. Combine it with the fact that no proof beyond one person's word is included, and neither is any proof that this letter from Starbucks ever existed, and that leads me to believe that it was made up.

This is not the first place I have heard that Starbucks near the WTC charged workers for bottled water. But it was probably just some assclown working the register who didn't want to get himself fired for giving away free stuff, not some corporate policy come down from the highest levels. Do you think that when a fireman came in asking for water they telephoned the CEO for a policy decision? I sure don't.

Like I said, smells like BS

patteeu
09-16-2004, 07:16 PM
Now, I think that starbucks embodies all that is disgusting and corporate and yuppie about the world, and I have got no love for $5 cups of coffee.

I just simply find it hard to believe that a company would set themselves up the raise the ire of half the country like that. Combine it with the fact that no proof beyond one person's word is included, and neither is any proof that this letter from Starbucks ever existed, and that leads me to believe that it was made up.

This is not the first place I have heard that Starbucks near the WTC charged workers for bottled water. But it was probably just some assclown working the register who didn't want to get himself fired for giving away free stuff, not some corporate policy come down from the highest levels. Do you think that when a fireman came in asking for water they telephoned the CEO for a policy decision? I sure don't.

I agree that this sounds like a hoax.

And I don't think it is a valuable test to ask Starbucks to provide free product to our troops. That's not their obligation. It would be a great and generous thing for them to do it, but if they don't want to give stuff away then I don't have a problem with them. They are a business not a charity.

OTOH, if they are gouging soldiers just because they don't like the war then I'd be all for a boycott. Come to think of it, I guess I boycott their coffee anyway since I think it is incredibly overpriced.

KCWolfman
09-16-2004, 07:29 PM
I agree that this sounds like a hoax.

And I don't think it is a valuable test to ask Starbucks to provide free product to our troops. That's not their obligation. It would be a great and generous thing for them to do it, but if they don't want to give stuff away then I don't have a problem with them. They are a business not a charity.

OTOH, if they are gouging soldiers just because they don't like the war then I'd be all for a boycott. Come to think of it, I guess I boycott their coffee anyway since I think it is incredibly overpriced.
They sell coffee?

I know they have mugs, latte, shirts, jackets, sweatshirts, buttons, gift certificates, espresso, keychains, notepads, pencils, glasses, muffins..........

But I had no idea they sold coffee, too. I bet it is pretty reasonable, like the rest of their stuff. What about 6.00 a cup? Which is about 1.50 more than I spend on a large can of Folgers that makes about 500-600 cups.

patteeu
09-16-2004, 07:47 PM
They sell coffee?

I know they have mugs, latte, shirts, jackets, sweatshirts, buttons, gift certificates, espresso, keychains, notepads, pencils, glasses, muffins..........

Yes, you have to work your way through the ancillary product maze that they build in their stores to the counter at the back. At that point you can order one of several drinks. They don't actually have "coffee" on their menu, but some of their drinks with exotic, foreign sounding names actually do have coffee in them.

But I had no idea they sold coffee, too. I bet it is pretty reasonable, like the rest of their stuff. What about 6.00 a cup? Which is about 1.50 more than I spend on a large can of Folgers that makes about 500-600 cups.

Cheapskate. LOL

Boozer
09-16-2004, 08:10 PM
Wait, so a company has to give something away for free when it's for the military? I'm all for supporting our boys in uniform, but this sounds like a shakedown. If a corporation is willing to go above and beyond for servicemen, great, but otherwise, capitalism still reigns.

Cannibal
09-16-2004, 08:31 PM

I agree. I also find it hard to believe they would say... "we don't support the War, or anyone in it". The vast majority of people who may not like the war are still pulling for the troops.

BigMeatballDave
09-17-2004, 02:29 AM
I don't drink coffee, so I don't really give a shit about Starbucks. In a related story, I am boycotting Heinz products. Which kinda sux 'cuz I really like their '57' sauce...just until after the election...

patteeu
09-17-2004, 06:25 AM
I don't drink coffee, so I don't really give a shit about Starbucks. In a related story, I am boycotting Heinz products. Which kinda sux 'cuz I really like their '57' sauce...just until after the election...

I was boycotting Heinz ketchup for a while, but my wife complained because she liked their upside down bottle better than the more traditional bottle that Hunt's makes.

If I could find Heinz hamburger dill pickles though I would have a hard time boycotting those. Those are the best, but I can't get them anywhere anymore.

Matt Helm
09-17-2004, 07:10 AM
Wait, so a company has to give something away for free when it's for the military? I'm all for supporting our boys in uniform, but this sounds like a shakedown. If a corporation is willing to go above and beyond for servicemen, great, but otherwise, capitalism still reigns.

No company HAS to give something away to those in uniform. OTOH, if they asked, as stated in the letter, and got the reponse, as stated in the letter, they don't deserve to be in business. If they didn't want to give away product they could have said that they support the soldiers but company policy prohibits "freebies".

I have personally walked into Krispy Kreme donuts in Uniform and ordered a dozen donuts (for my wife to take to work). I was given the dozen donuts and a cup of coffee. A month later I was in the store again and was making the same purchase, again it was free. I explained my position and that I didn't think I was deserving of the courtesy. The manager asked why I would look a gift horse in the mouth, I replied that the real heros were in harms way and I wasn't. He commented that Krispy Kreme was supporting the troops and felt it an honor to give us that service. Next time in, I changed to civvies before the trip and paid for the donuts. I will always go to that particular store to buy donuts when the need arises.

Snopes is still investigating the situation and will label it as false if it turns out to be false, but they will not pull punches either.

My guess is that there might be some truth to the story, but how much was twisted by one side or the other?

I wouldn't currently cross the street to buy Starbucks coffee, too much to pay. Besides, the nearest Starbucks to me is over 100 miles away.

KCTitus
09-17-2004, 07:28 AM
I'm all for supporting our boys in uniform, but this sounds like a shakedown.

I know...this sounds so Jessie Jackson-esque.

the Talking Can
09-17-2004, 07:33 AM
who does Starbucks think they are, Halliburton?

Mr. Kotter
09-17-2004, 07:38 AM

Haliburton dissed our soldiers too....symbolically spat at them, as you and your kind did to the Vietnam vets?

I hate Dick Cheney, now. Thanks, TC. :rolleyes:

patteeu
09-17-2004, 08:17 AM

I feel dirty for laughing at that. hehe.

Loki
09-17-2004, 02:48 PM
f*ck starbucks...

their prices are outrageous and their coffee sucks.
:cuss: