PDA

View Full Version : Laptop help

Mojo Rising
09-16-2004, 11:35 PM
Do they still call them laptops? Or,are they notebooks now?

I need advice on getting a small meory, WIFI, DVD drive laptop.

Did I say cheap? Can you find a reliable used unit? Where BESIDES (WESTPORT?)

The cheapest I have seen is the Dell for $750+. I want to pay $500 for less speed and memory but with reliabilty...will take used.

Help

Phobia
09-16-2004, 11:42 PM
I've always been fond of the laptop value Winbook provides. I would question whether you're gonna get any value at all in a laptop for $500. Why would somebody sell a dependable laptop for $500? I would hazard a guess that 75% of the laptops for sale on the 'net have something wrong. If I were you, I'd put another $1000 with it and invest in something that will give you a decent ROI for several years.

Mojo Rising
09-16-2004, 11:51 PM
The real purpose is so that I can maintain a database of clients off of the company's systems. I am talking about 5000 names, numbers, tel #'s, some notes etc. running on ACT.

Cant be more than 1 G. Probably much less.

But if i were to carry it around then Wifi would be cool. I guess a DVD player would not be necesarry since I have a portable with a 6 inch screen. although it would kill me to have a 14" lcd on a different machine that i couldnt use but i guess thats not the purpose.

Pants
09-16-2004, 11:54 PM
Almost all new laptops come with a DVD player. It's almost standard now. A mediocre laptop with wireless will cost you around 800-900. Thats around 2 Ghz, 256 MB Ram, 40 Gigs, and virtually no video (some shared BS, you won't be playing any games on it).

Bob Dole
09-16-2004, 11:55 PM
eCost.com usually has some decent deals on laptops.

The Dell Latitude D800 that arrived Tuesday is making Bob Dole very happy so far, but it was a little more than the price you're shopping.

Mojo Rising
09-17-2004, 12:08 AM
I have a portable DVD player already so I can eliminate that feature. If I lose the Wifi. Can I get a reliable, low memory laptop that can run Act and a small database that is reliable? If I find one online how do I determine if it's a lemon? There are many on Craigslist.

Pants
09-17-2004, 12:17 AM
I have a portable DVD player already so I can eliminate that feature. If I lose the Wifi. Can I get a reliable, low memory laptop that can run Act and a small database that is reliable? If I find one online how do I determine if it's a lemon? There are many on Craigslist.

Buy new. Used laptops - too risky.

Go with this if you can afford, very nice and good deal. Somewhat pricey though.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1091100154543&skuId=6809439&type=product

Miles
09-17-2004, 12:19 AM

As long as you get a laptop that has a pcmcia slot you can always add a wireless card. It would have to be a really old laptop not to have that.

From my experience i have had bad luck with cheap laptops. There is quite a bit that can go wrong with them and the are much less reliable than desktops. You may want to consider buying the least expensive Dell or IBM model thats offered new. I would avoid used laptops because you never know what you are geting.

Mojo Rising
09-17-2004, 12:28 AM
I agree with you on the bad luck experience with cheap laptops. Maybe I should buy a cheap desktop and make the memory portable since my needs are minimal.

Is there a place on the planet to advertise that I want a cheap laptop/PC?

I trust CP more than CL