PDA

View Full Version : Parenting Advice... Short of Beating my Kid senseles....

Ari Chi3fs
09-17-2004, 07:42 AM
What suggestions might you other parents out there have for getting your kid to shit on the toilet? My kid will be 3 on OCt 17th and Im fuggin tired of changing nasty shitty diapers. He will piss in the toilet but wont dump, wtf? any ideas? Im sick of this shit. Literally.

Mr. Kotter
09-17-2004, 07:46 AM
Whatever you do, DON'T pressure the kid. You will lose.

As for suggestions, my wife and I made a really big deal out of it when they went....even did a "happy dance." Next we set up a system of rewards, "when you're a big girl (and can go poopy on the potty...), then we'll do THIS for you (THIS being whatever the kid really wants to do...)"

Worked for us on our first three kids pretty well....we'll see with number four.

(Okay, wise-azzes....yes, I'm expecting to be abused as a result of this post....so bring it on..... :banghead: )

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 07:47 AM
In 30 years, SD's kid will be in therapy because of that "happy dance".

Lzen
09-17-2004, 07:49 AM

As for suggestions, my wife and I made a really big deal out of it when they went....even did a "happy dance." Next we set up a system of rewards, "when you're a big girl (and can go poopy on the potty...), then we'll do THIS for you (THIS being whatever the kid really wants to do...)"

Worked for us on our first three kids pretty well....we'll see with number four.

(Okay, wise-azzes....yes, I'm expecting to be abused as a result of this post....so bring it on..... :banghead: )

Sounds like solid parenting. :thumb: You'll have to demonstrate to us that "happy dance" at the 37 Forever activities. :D

ENDelt260
09-17-2004, 07:49 AM
What's wrong with beating him senseless? Worked on me. I almost always shit in the toilet.

Blindside58
09-17-2004, 07:50 AM
My daughter will be 3 on Oct. 20th...Same Friggin thing....Pee's just fine but craps her pants daily. I will be keeping an eye on this post for suggestions. 3 year old crapping her panties is disgusting. not like cute 1 year old poopies.l

Ari Chi3fs
yeah, its been frustrating... for sure. We have tried the rewards with getting him to pee and that works... When he keeps his diaper dry and goes pee, he gets some fruits snacks or a cookie or something.

He doesnt even TRY to shit on the toilet he like goes behind a chair or the couch and takes a dump, like he is ENDelt or something.

Perhaps we will take him the zoo if he shits 5 times in the toilet. Who knows... good suggestion, though. Any others?

morphius

I think that is the normal way to try to do things. But pretty much, they are not going to do it until they are ready. Heck, my kid is 3 1/2 and is just now finally starting to use the potty, because no reward was big enough for him to sit on the potty no matter what we did. Of course Scottzilla makes mules seem agreeable.

Mr. Kotter
09-17-2004, 07:51 AM
In 30 years, SD's kid will be in therapy because of that "happy dance".

Yeah, yeah....the dance is done while humming "Tequila!", and is kinda a cross between the Bill Cosby dance he did to lead off his old show and an Indian Pow-Wow kinda thing....

Skip Towne
09-17-2004, 07:52 AM
What's wrong with beating him senseless? Worked on me. I almost always shit in the toilet.
Almost?

Ari Chi3fs
09-17-2004, 07:53 AM
My daughter will be 3 on Oct. 20th...Same Friggin thing....Pee's just fine but craps her pants daily. I will be keeping an eye on this post for suggestions. 3 year old crapping her panties is disgusting. not like cute 1 year old poopies.l

Yeah, one year old poopies are just adorable.

:rolleyes:

the Talking Can
paint a dragon face on the toilet seat

ENDelt260
Almost?
Nobody's perfect.

Ari Chi3fs
I think that is the normal way to try to do things. But pretty much, they are not going to do it until they are ready. Heck, my kid is 3 1/2 and is just now finally starting to use the potty, because no reward was big enough for him to sit on the potty no matter what we did. Of course Scottzilla makes mules seem agreeable.

Scottzilla

ROFL

sevenand7kc
09-17-2004, 07:54 AM
We used a reward routine. We took a piece of construction paper and put it on the wall. Then we let our son go to the store and pick out a lot of stickers, but he couldn't use them yet. When he did is business he got a sticker to put on the paper.

After he got 7 stickers he got another little reward. We used hot wheel cars. 4 cars later he was golden.

If he does go in his diaper - do you take it and put it in the toilet and flush it down so he sees it go in there? Something else we worked on, but every kid is different.

Best of luck.

Mr. Kotter
09-17-2004, 07:54 AM
He doesnt even TRY to shit on the toilet he like goes behind a chair or the couch and takes a dump, like he is ENDelt or something.

The "key" is catching them when they get the "look"--like you know they are pooping or gettin' ready to....you swoop 'em up, sprint with them to the toilet, and sit them down.....say somethin' like, "I can see you need to go. Now if you go poopy on the potty for Daddy, Daddy is gonna take you to Chuck E. Cheese's or ShowBiz Pizza....or let you have your girlfriend Christine over for that sleep-over..."

Iowanian
09-17-2004, 07:55 AM
Get a dime store gumball machine.........each time the kid Drops a duece in Broncoville..........Give the kid a coin and let them get some gum/m&ms or whatever.

Sounds stooopid, but i've seen it work.

Try getting the childrens book "everybody Poops". The illustrations are awesome.

morphius
09-17-2004, 07:55 AM
Scottzilla

ROFL
You don't know how many months I tried to get Zilla as the middle name...

Which is probably why God makes women be involved in the process.

But I did get it allowed as a usable nick name :D

ChiTown
09-17-2004, 07:58 AM
Both my kids were crappin in the toliet by 2. Persistence, not pressure, is the key. Just keep putting them on the stool every couple of hours or so. If they don't already follow you into the bathroom, take them in there with you and let them watch you take care of business. Make a big deal about it. I was really lucky with my kids, but I also think that our persistence paid off. We started them really young as well. If it's any consolation, the 2nd kid almost always get's fully potty trained faster than the 1st. Good luck.....

Blindside58
09-17-2004, 07:59 AM
My kid will even go to a hiding spot and get pissed if you watch her while she craps.....FYI...I don't intend to just watch her, if I try to grab her she runs and when I get ahold of her she flails about and sitting her on the toilet is like punishment. Just what I don't want.

munkey
09-17-2004, 07:59 AM
I take it this is an only child?

My youngest was trained by 2 1/2 and I firmly believe her older sisters were a big reason. I don't remeber have to do anything to potty train the last kid....the first of coarse was a different story.

The first is always the worst...It only gets easier with more of them.

Iowanian
09-17-2004, 08:00 AM
Chitown......makes his kid do the Wave every time they hear a splash.

Ted Bundy's dad probably did that too.

Throw some Lucky Charms in there.......give em a penny if they hit the Blue Stars, Dime if they can sink a Yellow Star, and a quarter if they can sink the Bismark of Lucky Charms....The shamrock.

ChiTown
09-17-2004, 08:02 AM
Chitown......makes his kid do the Wave every time they hear a splash.

Ted Bundy's dad probably did that too.

We used to do high fives, but that got kinda messy........

Blindside58
09-17-2004, 08:03 AM
My second kid is 3 months.....I Can't wait!

Brian Myles
09-17-2004, 08:04 AM
What suggestions might you other parents out there have for getting your kid to shit on the toilet?
Maybe it's just me but I think you should teach him to shit IN the toilet. Less mess.

ChiefsFanatic
09-17-2004, 08:13 AM
Yeah, one year old poopies are just adorable.

not like cute 1 year old poopies.l

Grown men using the word poopies
:shake:

Amnorix
09-17-2004, 08:25 AM
Honestly, we tried rewards and various other stuff, but nothing really worked. When he was ready, he was ready, and once the light flipped, it was like an epiphany or something -- NOT A SINGLE ACCIDENT, EVER.

He was just a little over 3 when he finally figured out that pooping in his shorts was gross.

One thing that we think helped was switching from regular diapers to pull-ups, and then when progress was being made, going to underwear.

But honestly, every kid is different, and neither pressure nor bribery did very much. For a while, my wife was obsessing about it, as if we'd send him off to fugging college wearing diapers. :rolleyes:

Saulbadguy
09-17-2004, 08:27 AM
Put a cheerio in the toilet, and have them "aim" for it.

Works every time.

Phobia
09-17-2004, 08:28 AM
Jeez. My kid is 15 months and she already craps in the toilet.

I have 2 bits of advice:
1. Invite them to watch you go. Make it into a spectactle complete with cheering and music when the little brown sailors fall overboard. When you're finished, let the kid look at yesterday's lunch and flush it himself.
2. If you have enough bathrooms, turn one of them into his. At least, give him the impression that it's his. Buy a cheap toilet seat and let him paint it. Put a bunch of his toys in there....

The trick to teaching a kid is to make them WANT to learn, no matter if it's shitting or driving a car. Ever notice that every kid drives at 16? You can't get a teenager to do anything else at that age, but they'll damn sure get their license. Guess why? They WANT it.

Iowanian
09-17-2004, 08:29 AM
Put a cheerio in the toilet, and have them "aim" for it.

Works every time.

How is your c*ck ring going to help a kid poo?

ba dada, ching.

MOhillbilly
09-17-2004, 08:30 AM
rub his nose in the diaper.
he'll figure it out quick.

Saulbadguy
09-17-2004, 08:31 AM
How is your c*ck ring going to help a kid poo?

ba dada, ching.
Touche

KCFalcon59
09-17-2004, 08:36 AM
Honestly, we tried rewards and various other stuff, but nothing really worked. When he was ready, he was ready, and once the light flipped, it was like an epiphany or something -- NOT A SINGLE ACCIDENT, EVER.

He was just a little over 3 when he finally figured out that pooping in his shorts was gross.

One thing that we think helped was switching from regular diapers to pull-ups, and then when progress was being made, going to underwear.

But honestly, every kid is different, and neither pressure nor bribery did very much. For a while, my wife was obsessing about it, as if we'd send him off to fugging college wearing diapers. :rolleyes:

I was going to suggest the same thing about the pull-ups. After putting my son in those things started changing. Then we would put him in underwear and tell him to make sure he tells us when he has to go. It wasn't very long after that it didn't become an issue.

Now wiping himself afterwords took a while longer. :Lin:

donkhater
09-17-2004, 08:37 AM
What suggestions might you other parents out there have for getting your kid to shit on the toilet? My kid will be 3 on OCt 17th and Im fuggin tired of changing nasty shitty diapers. He will piss in the toilet but wont dump, wtf? any ideas? Im sick of this shit. Literally.
Count yourself lucky, dude. My 6-year old son that people casually refer to as 'retard' on this forum is still not toilet trained. Hopefully this year, though.

morphius
09-17-2004, 08:39 AM

I have 2 bits of advice:
1. Invite them to watch you go. Make it into a spectactle complete with cheering and music when the little brown sailors fall overboard. When you're finished, let the kid look at yesterday's lunch and flush it himself.
2. If you have enough bathrooms, turn one of them into his. At least, give him the impression that it's his. Buy a cheap toilet seat and let him paint it. Put a bunch of his toys in there....

The trick to teaching a kid is to make them WANT to learn, no matter if it's shitting or driving a car. Ever notice that every kid drives at 16? You can't get a teenager to do anything else at that age, but they'll damn sure get their license. Guess why? They WANT it.
Yeah, we have been trying all that for about a year...

KC Jones
09-17-2004, 08:40 AM
The "key" is catching them when they get the "look"

The "look" cracks me up. Their eyes swell up like a chihuahua and they turn red and start to grunt. That's some seriously hard work they've got going on.

ChiTown
09-17-2004, 08:41 AM
Count yourself lucky, dude. My 6-year old son that people casually refer to as 'retard' on this forum is still not toilet trained. Hopefully this year, though.

Yikes.

That's got to be super frustrating....sorry to hear that. Is he mentally handicapped, or were you making reference to something else?

COchief
09-17-2004, 08:42 AM
Does it amaze anyone else that kids can learn: how to work a dvd/vcr, walk, a basic understanding of the english language. Yet they still can't figure out that the disgusting mushy stinky brown substance they sit in on a regular basis should go somewhere else.
/Obvious non-parent

Lightning Rod
09-17-2004, 08:46 AM
yeah, its been frustrating... for sure. We have tried the rewards with getting him to pee and that works... When he keeps his diaper dry and goes pee, he gets some fruits snacks or a cookie or something.

Perhaps we will take him the zoo if he shits 5 times in the toilet. Who knows... good suggestion, though. Any others?

Rub his nose in it!

I feel your pain. My daughter was a cake walk but I was starting to think they boy would be $hitting his pants till he was 40. I really wish I had a picture of my son with $hit on the floor, the wall, and oh yes in his hair all at the same time. That would be fun to bring out when he is being a know it all teenager.

You are doing the right things just hand in there. It takes time.

MOhillbilly
09-17-2004, 08:47 AM
make them eat it.
they will learn even faster.

donkhater
09-17-2004, 08:47 AM
Yikes.

That's got to be super frustrating....sorry to hear that. Is he mentally handicapped, or were you making reference to something else?
Yes he is and I was refering to how kids like that are refered to around here by some.

It is frustrating, but it's something that will come along eventually (we hope).

My daughter was 2 years old when we tried to train her. She had trouble with it, and decided to put her pullups back on. 3 months later she did it without any prodding and has even so much as wet the bed. All I can preach is to have patience. If your kid has no medical or emotional issues, it'll happen. Every kid is different.

Ari Chi3fs
09-17-2004, 08:48 AM

I hear you man, My brother is mentally challenged with a condition called Williams Syndrome, where the arteries from the heart to the brain are narrow and not as much oxygen and blood gets there, so he learns slower. He just turned 21 and has the mentality of an 8 year old. But the older the more he learns... However, all he cares to do is spend special time with the special friend in his pants in the bathroom. heh...

it took him 3 years to realize that shampoo wasnt the best lubricant. Oh man, what a painful lesson to learn. So, my advice is at a certain age... let him learn about baby oil. heh.

I just tried the taking him the Zoo if he dumps in the potty like Phobia's mensa pooper does. Hopefully that will work. Either that or I will contruct some grandstands in the bathroom some mom and him can cheer whilst I drop Donkos and Raiders in the pool.

Lbedrock1
09-17-2004, 08:49 AM
SD gave you some solid advice. Try it and stick with it. You can also take you child to the tiolet every 2 hours so he or she can have a routine to follow. Im going through this now with my second child and she is going on 3.

KCTitus
09-17-2004, 08:53 AM
Never had the problems discussed here...all 3 made the switch at the ripe age of 3, and there was no looking back.

My youngest just turned 3 at the end of june...like the other 2, we went straight from diapers to underwear and it motivated them to keep clean.

Ari Chi3fs
09-17-2004, 08:54 AM
yeah we have another one on the way, due in May... my guess is that when the second sees big bro dropping Phobias in the pot, that he/she will be inclined to do it as well. Hard to say.

Good advice so far...

Lzen
09-17-2004, 08:57 AM

ROFL We're talking about kids, not dogs. :shake:

Phobia
09-17-2004, 08:58 AM
Yes he is and I was refering to how kids like that are refered to around here by some.

You can't take that personally. We don't even know your son. In my lay opinion, it sounds like you're still dealing with the insecurities of having a retarded child. I'm not going to pretend to know what you've gone through, but you can't take "retard" personally or you're going to have a very long, sad life with your son. If somebody uses that word maliciously to your boy's face, you have permission to make that person shit in their own pants.

PastorMikH
09-17-2004, 09:00 AM

ROFL

I was wondering when that one was going to be brought up - I can't believe it took 30 posts though

All 3 of mine were trained before they were 2. It was MUCH harder getting the stupid Cocker Spaniel house trained.

We did have a lady in our first church that her youngest son that she fought and fought with. My wife is teaching sunday school and she brings her son in. She normally would stay with him in class to make sure he behaved. About 5 minutes into the class there's an odor. She takes him out and changes him. About 5 minutes after that, there's another odor and he tells her he wants changed again. She had used her only spare pull-up on him 5 min before so she scolded him and told him that he was going to sit there until class was over. She made him sit in it for 45 minutes until class was over then took him home. He never went in his pants again. - :hmmm: Perhaps my procrastination in dealing with the dirtys helped to facilitate my own kids training.:hmmm:

ENDelt260
09-17-2004, 09:02 AM
or let you have your girlfriend Christine over for that sleep-over..."

Daaaaamn. Tryin' ta get a grandkid quick, huh?

Iowanian
09-17-2004, 09:02 AM
now the poor kid is in therapy for the new nickname of "mud pie" issued that day by the other kids, forced to sit through that stench as well.

Good thing they weren't playing musical chairs, or there would have been Puddin' everywhere.

PastorMikH
09-17-2004, 09:07 AM
Thankfully for the kid it was a small class. The wife was definately ready for some fresh air after the class was over though. And if the kid is in therapy, it will have more to do with his hyper-activity getting him into trouble.:)

Mr. Kotter
09-17-2004, 09:09 AM
The "look" cracks me up. Their eyes swell up like a chihuahua and they turn red and start to grunt. That's some seriously hard work they've got going on.

Yeah, it's kinda the way I envision frazod lookin'.... normally...

Mr. Kotter
09-17-2004, 09:11 AM
Daaaaamn. Tryin' ta get a grandkid quick, huh?

Eh, I was talkin' bout my youngest daughter. Guess she could be gay though, NTTAWWT

....in which case she'd have to go invitro or adopt.... :hmmm:

:)

Rain Man
09-17-2004, 09:15 AM

I have 2 bits of advice:

It may be time to let someone else be the entertainment committee leader for 37Forever.

Mr. Kotter
09-17-2004, 09:18 AM
You can't take that personally. We don't even know your son. In my lay opinion, it sounds like you're still dealing with the insecurities of having a retarded child. I'm not going to pretend to know what you've gone through, but you can't take "retard" personally or you're going to have a very long, sad life with your son. If somebody uses that word maliciously to your boy's face, you have permission to make that person shit in their own pants.

Good advice, donkhater...IMHO.

FWIW, I've got two "retarded" brothers......(yeah, yeah...that makes three of us :banghead: ....)

Rain Man
09-17-2004, 09:19 AM
Try getting the childrens book "everybody Poops". The illustrations are awesome.

Don't tell me how it ends.

MOhillbilly
09-17-2004, 09:20 AM
i would never rub a dogs nose in shit.
A kid is a diffrent story.

TheNextStep
09-17-2004, 09:20 AM
With my son, we let him have a couple of M&Ms every time he successfully went "poo poo on the potty."

Another thing that really helped: He sat backwards on the toilet, so he's actually facing the tank. My wife's idea... and it worked. My son was running into two problems before that:

1. He was a "big boy" and refused to use one of those little kid toilet seat insert things.
2. He was small enough that if he sat on the toilet the way that we do, he always felt like he was going to fall in.

Once he started facing the other way, he's had no problems whatsoever. The only thing that is a little bit of a nuisance is the fact that if he's going to sit like that, you've obviously got to take his pants completely off every time... but I was more than willing to do that in exchange for no diapers.

ChiTown
09-17-2004, 09:22 AM

I agree with the theme of your comments, but I think we have to respect the fact that we have a poster(s) on this bbs with a son who is mentally handicapped. If he doesn't like the way "retarded" is thrown about on the bbs, that's his right to voice it, and we should try to be respectful of that fact. I know that I will certainly try and be more mindful of this fact going forward.

Mr. Kotter
09-17-2004, 09:23 AM

1. He was a "big boy" ....

Take's after the wife's side, eh?

ChiTown
09-17-2004, 09:23 AM
Don't tell me how it ends.

Don't waste your time, the ending is really shitty.

I'll be here all week..................

Phobia
09-17-2004, 09:40 AM
I agree with the theme of your comments, but I think we have to respect the fact that we have a poster(s) on this bbs with a son who is mentally handicapped. If he doesn't like the way "retarded" is thrown about on the bbs, that's his right to voice it, and we should try to be respectful of that fact. I know that I will certainly try and be more mindful of this fact going forward.

If we were hanging out in a bar shooting the bull over beers, I would certainly be sensitive to that. But this board has 4000+ members. We can't possibly tip toe around every person's insecurities. If I throw out the word 'tard or retard, I'm not being malicious to people with learning/developmental issues. I don't do it often, but I'm sure I've been "guilty" of it in the past.

If ChiefsPlanet were a group of 2 dozen members, this would be different.

I'm being brutally honest here. I'm not trying to be insensitive. But if the dude is taking offense to the use of "retard" at ChiefsPlanet, there's a LOT worse coming down the pipe when the kid goes further in school. IMO, it's better to hear it in a reasonably tactful manner now.

TheNextStep
09-17-2004, 09:41 AM
Take's after the wife's side, eh?
I'm a skinny bastard, it is true... but my wife's hot, dude.

ENDelt260
09-17-2004, 09:42 AM
I'm a skinny bastard, it is true... but my wife's hot, dude.
I don't think he was calling your wife fat.... I think he was suggesting she has a bigger dong than you.

TheNextStep
09-17-2004, 09:45 AM
I don't think so, End. I'm 6'1" and I'm 100% pure dick. If I were any more of a dick, I'd have a hole in the top of my head and carry a washcloth to wipe my brow after taking a leak, ya know?

ENDelt260
09-17-2004, 09:47 AM
I don't think so, End. I'm 6'1" and I'm 100% pure dick.

Awesome.

MOhillbilly
09-17-2004, 09:49 AM
Yeah ya always remember thekid.
that shits and pisses himself.

Hi shawn applebee.ROFL

Mr. Kotter
09-17-2004, 09:54 AM
.... I'm 100% pure dick....

Why, of course; you ARE a Faider fan, afterall.... :p

ChiTown
09-17-2004, 10:00 AM
If we were hanging out in a bar shooting the bull over beers, I would certainly be sensitive to that. But this board has 4000+ members. We can't possibly tip toe around every person's insecurities. If I throw out the word 'tard or retard, I'm not being malicious to people with learning/developmental issues. I don't do it often, but I'm sure I've been "guilty" of it in the past.

If ChiefsPlanet were a group of 2 dozen members, this would be different.

I'm being brutally honest here. I'm not trying to be insensitive. But if the dude is taking offense to the use of "retard" at ChiefsPlanet, there's a LOT worse coming down the pipe when the kid goes further in school. IMO, it's better to hear it in a reasonably tactful manner now.

I don't know that we can judge how others should feel until we've walked a mile in their shoes. Just like I can't pretend to know what it's like to go to war, because I've never been in the armed services. Therefore, I think it's way to flip to suggest what he should and shouldn't feel when he sees something on here that might be offensive to his situation.

So, if the word bothers the guy, then it's his right to air it out here. That's all I'm saying. In addition, I'll be a little more mindful of this fact going forward. Pretty simple really.....and like I said, in general I agree with the theme of your comments.

R&GHomer
09-17-2004, 10:07 AM

:spock: Almost always?

donkhater
09-17-2004, 10:19 AM
I realize I'm coming off as a PC-liberal pansy getting all worked up about this and I really don't like to hijack threads in this manner.

My stand is simply this. You can call me a retard. You can can call others on this board retarded. I'm sensible enough to know that this term is embedded in our society's lexicon and is thrown around without thought. I'm OK with that. Really I am. Throw the word around here with abandon in the direction of me or other members on the board.

However, I will ALWAYS speak up when a mentally handicapped child, or someone else who participates in the special olympics is called a retard, joke or no joke. It is ignorant, classless and cruel. It has nothing to do with me about having insecurities about having a special-needs child. It's about demonstrating compassion toward a sect in our society whose lot in life is no fault of their own.

I realize this rant will fall on the deaf ears of some of you. I'm not that idealistic, some people are just jerks. I just hope some of you will give some thought before throwing around slings like that hap-hazardly.

ENDelt260
09-17-2004, 10:22 AM
So, do you intend to bring that joke up in every thread you post in from now on?

donkhater
09-17-2004, 10:24 AM
So, do you intend to bring that joke up in every thread you post in from now on?
Yeah. That's what I'm going to do. :rolleyes:

ENDelt260
09-17-2004, 10:26 AM
Yeah. That's what I'm going to do. :rolleyes:
You've certainly made a good start.

Find a thread about potty training... and make sure to call out a guy who already apologized for telling a tasteless joke... even tho that guy's not posting in the thread, and the joke's unrelated to the topic.

Phobia
09-17-2004, 10:29 AM
I realize I'm coming off as a PC-liberal pansy getting all worked up about this and I really don't like to hijack threads in this manner.

My stand is simply this. You can call me a retard. You can can call others on this board retarded. I'm sensible enough to know that this term is embedded in our society's lexicon and is thrown around without thought. I'm OK with that. Really I am. Throw the word around here with abandon in the direction of me or other members on the board.

However, I will ALWAYS speak up when a mentally handicapped child, or someone else who participates in the special olympics is called a retard, joke or no joke. It is ignorant, classless and cruel. It has nothing to do with me about having insecurities about having a special-needs child. It's about demonstrating compassion toward a sect in our society whose lot in life is no fault of their own.

I realize this rant will fall on the deaf ears of some of you. I'm not that idealistic, some people are just jerks. I just hope some of you will give some thought before throwing around slings like that hap-hazardly.

I can agree with that. Mostly. The slight issue I have is; when did "retarded" cease to be an accurate portrayal of a disabled person and become offensive? But, I don't feel strongly enough to turn it into a debate. I just want to throw it out there.

You're a good guy, donkhater. I can't possibly know how you feel since I've been blessed with 3 perfect daughters. My own worst nightmare would be to have something happen to my kids, so I understand your sensitivity.

I retract my comments regarding your "insecurity". Due to your clarification, I feel my "analysis" was off. Have a good weekend!

svuba
09-17-2004, 10:31 AM
Hijacking this thread back to the original question.

What we did that seems gross but works like a charm is this:
Take off the diapers, take off the pants. Make the little guy go naked from the waist down as long as you can... preferably all day long for 2 or 3 days. While it is true the little runt feels no shame in crapping in his diaper he will be very hesitant to shit on himself or the floor. This worked for our son when he was 2, and it only took a couple of days. I think he only actually crapped on himself twice, and both times he was outdoors. He never wore diapers again.

morphius
09-17-2004, 10:33 AM

Here is my hijack of this thread :D

Why is it that groups always have to pick names for themselves that will never stick? I just don't get it. Seriously, for example, Mentally Handicapped and African American don't exactly roll off the tongue. People are generally lazy, Thomas becomes Tom, Jeffrey becomes Jeff, Johnathon becomes John, why do people actually expect us to use phrases like that to describe someone.

Morphius
This rant was brought to you by sleep deprivation, no offense to any group listed above is meant.

ENDelt260
09-17-2004, 10:33 AM
Hijacking this thread back to the original question.

What we did that seems gross but works like a charm is this:
Take off the diapers, take off the pants. Make the little guy go naked from the waist down as long as you can... preferably all day long for 2 or 3 days. While it is true the little runt feels no shame in crapping in his diaper he will be very hesitant to shit on himself or the floor. This worked for our son when he was 2, and it only took a couple of days. I think he only actually crapped on himself twice, and both times he was outdoors. He never wore diapers again.
Seems like a high risk proposition. Cleaning poop off the carpet doesn't sound fun.

MOhillbilly
09-17-2004, 10:38 AM
Here is my hijack of this thread :D

Seriously, for example, Mentally Handicapped and African American don't exactly roll off the tongue.

Tard and nigg.
Is that what youre gettin at?Does that make it easier on ya?
Like Klu Klux Klan?:hmmm:

MOhillbilly
09-17-2004, 10:39 AM
Seems like a high risk proposition. Cleaning poop off the carpet doesn't sound fun.

They used to have dresses for male toddlers. bet your grandpa wore one.or Gr. GP.

ENDelt260
09-17-2004, 10:40 AM
Tard and nigg.
The KKK hates the mentally retarded? I mean, blacks and Catholics were one thing... but, this is just too much.

ENDelt260
09-17-2004, 10:41 AM
They used to have dresses for male toddlers. bet your grandpa wore one.or Gr. GP.
On my Mom's side... I think it's probably more likely that grandpa and his dad were running around buck naked than in a dress.

morphius
09-17-2004, 10:42 AM
Tard and nigg.

See, another example, the Klu Klux Klan gets shortened to the KKK...

Ummm, wait, what are we talking about again?

Morphius
Sleep! Why have you forsaken me!?!?!

MOhillbilly
The KKK hates the mentally retarded? I mean, blacks and Catholics were one thing... but, this is just too much.

probably why there numbers have dwindled since the 20s'.

Demonpenz
KKK loves to shit on the carpet

MOhillbilly
09-17-2004, 10:43 AM
Morphius
Sleep! Why have you forsaken me!?!?!

God hates nazis?:hmmm:

MOhillbilly
09-17-2004, 10:44 AM
KKK loves to shit on the carpet

Its why they wear dresses.

ENDelt260
09-17-2004, 10:45 AM
Its why they wear dresses.
And the circle of posts is complete.

morphius
09-17-2004, 10:46 AM
God hates nazis?:hmmm:
I knew at least one person would take it wrong, congrats, you are the winner!!!

svuba
09-17-2004, 10:48 AM
Toddlers are not mentally challenged, they are just lazy. You say "OK little Johnney remember When you have to go Poo Poo just tell Mommy & dady, and we will help get to the toilet, but don't Poo in your Diaper" What Little Johnny is thinking " F-You Mommy it's my diaper, and I'll poop in it if I want"

The Attitude change comes when Johnney's Greasy shit slides down his leg and into his sandals.

MOhillbilly
09-17-2004, 10:48 AM
I knew at least one person would take it wrong, congrats, you are the winner!!!

Like the special olympics winner?

donkhater
09-17-2004, 10:49 AM
You've illustrated my point perfectly, ENDelt. 'Mentally retarded' is an accurate description of my son. I have no problem with the term. Personally I say something else, but have no problem with others who do. But 'retard', is meant to be derogatory. Just look at its use here on the board, as a jovial insult, between posters.

RedNFeisty
09-17-2004, 10:52 AM
My son has been into super hero's since he could talk, so when he was two we bought him some superhero underwear and he refused to mess them up. Perhaps something of the sort would work for your little one.

Donger
09-17-2004, 10:55 AM
Rub his nose in it. I thought that was what every parent did?

ENDelt260
09-17-2004, 10:57 AM
You're late. MOHillbilly beat you by a few hours.

Mr. Kotter
09-17-2004, 11:06 AM
... but my wife's hot, dude.

We need pics dude.... :thumb:

dtebbe
09-17-2004, 01:05 PM
We had the same problem, pretty common. My son loved (and still does) thomas the tank engine. We bought 4 or 5 pieces that he really wanted, and told him if he pooped in the potty he would get a thomas piece. It was pricey, but after about 6 of them he figured out that it was much more comfortable to poop where he was supposed to. So far for us, the reward system works, although some call it bribry.

DT

memyselfI
09-17-2004, 01:15 PM
Ok, this is going to sound weird but stay with me...

I read a number of years ago an article about this very topic. The author, who I believe was a child psychologist, was of the belief that the child is seeing a solid part of themselves disappear and they feel like it could be their entirety some day. He went on to recommend that assuring the child that the part of themselves that they see is not actually part of their body but of waste and is not useful to them. Also, reassure them that their actual body (or being) will NOT be flushed down the toilet because they 1. because Mommy and Daddy love you and 2. it's not physically possible because they are too big. The piece 'of themselves' they see going away is small because it's waste and not part of their body.

I know this sounds like alot of psycho babble interaction with a small child. But if they are doing #1 and no #2 it's most likely out of fear and not because they don't know HOW.

Another thing you might try is having a book or something interesting they can do while sitting waiting for their poop. Perhaps bring out a new book or two and say they can only look at it when they are going poop. Hopefully their interest will relax them and nature will take it's course.

Whatever you do the key is to REDUCE the pressure on them to produce output. If they come to associate that body function with fear or stress or anxiety they will grown up to be full of shit anal retentive Republicans...

:p ;) Just kidding. Anyway, good luck. :thumb:

memyselfI
09-17-2004, 01:17 PM

Obviously yours did. :p

RedNFeisty
09-17-2004, 01:59 PM
We had the same problem, pretty common. My son loved (and still does) thomas the tank engine. We bought 4 or 5 pieces that he really wanted, and told him if he pooped in the potty he would get a thomas piece. It was pricey, but after about 6 of them he figured out that it was much more comfortable to poop where he was supposed to. So far for us, the reward system works, although some call it bribry.

DT

Bribery works wonders!! We are using it for bedtime. Our three year old is having a hard time falling asleep by himself. He started out with earning a teenage mutant ninja sword. He had to fall asleep by himself for seven nights in a row. This took nearly a month to do, he would do it for two nights and then not go to sleep for three. After he realized what I meant by seven consecutive nights in a row, he got it. We are now working on getting a ninja stick (staff). I love the power of bribery! At least he is also learning that he has to earn things.

LTownChief
09-17-2004, 02:05 PM
note to self: never have children

ENDelt260
09-17-2004, 02:07 PM
Just always keep a bag packed. If a conversation includes the statement, "I'm late," grab your shit and bolt.

ChiTown
09-17-2004, 02:14 PM
Bribery works wonders!! We are using it for bedtime. Our three year old is having a hard time falling asleep by himself. He started out with earning a teenage mutant ninja sword. He had to fall asleep by himself for seven nights in a row. This took nearly a month to do, he would do it for two nights and then not go to sleep for three. After he realized what I meant by seven consecutive nights in a row, he got it. We are now working on getting a ninja stick (staff). I love the power of bribery! At least he is also learning that he has to earn things.

Our 6 year old still has issues with this, while my 3 year old has NEVER had a sleeping issue. You put him to bed and that's the last you hear from him until morning. My 6 year old has been a pain in the ass to put to sleep since he was a baby. I've tried everything from being nice, to being stern, to bribery, beatings, etc. He's getting marginally better, but still throws a fit every once in a while. At least I can reason with him at this age, which is something you can't do with children under 4.

bkkcoh
09-17-2004, 03:41 PM

You are probably doing the world a favor. :thumb: :p

bogie
09-17-2004, 04:34 PM
I haven't read all of the posts so I'm probably repeating someone, but, bribery done properly, is a wonderful thing. It's not really bribery, it's reward for a job well done. Children have the ability to take pride in things they do well and can relate to and love rewards. Also, children are tremendous manipulators (sp). My little girl wouldn't sh*t in the toilet either. She led us to believe she afraid so we would give her the attention she loved of having us change her. After she was old enough to understand the concept of the toilet (she had pee'd a few times in it, but when she had to poop we would put a diaper on her), here's what we did. After months and months of trying to convince her it was safe to poop on the toilet we finally gave her no choice. When she had to poop, we left the diaper off, she could either use the toilet or poop on the floor. She never pooped on the floor. As soon as she realized the manipulation was over, she pooped in the toilet.

Rain Man
09-17-2004, 05:14 PM
My son has been into super hero's since he could talk, so when he was two we bought him some superhero underwear and he refused to mess them up. Perhaps something of the sort would work for your little one.

It works for me, too.

Ari Chi3fs
09-17-2004, 05:24 PM

Well we understand that you little on has a handidcap, but yeah bringing it in to threads with comments like "I have what some call a 'retarded' kid" are obviously gonna hijack threads.

God bless you in you and your families journey with your special child, but definately gonna need to show him a lot of love, and teach him all you can, but dont let BB shit get you down. It could a lot worse in real life if you get all freaked out all the time.

ENDelt260
09-17-2004, 05:30 PM
It works for me, too.
Well, except when your wife f*cks up and buys you those Aquaman Underoos. We all know how you love to shit on on Aquaman.

Calcountry
09-17-2004, 05:39 PM

Its funny, but one day, part becuase you get tired of that chitty diaper so you like watch their ever move. You start to notice them break wind, pre shit. Then they get quiet on you, or lay down.

Then you take em to the poo poo. lol

Alas, a lot of time the excitement cuts em off and they will sit there on the toilette and cry, but you must persist, be patient, and whenever they score, well, you WILL BE happy so there is no need to fake it. The child will get the hang of it over time.

Then one day, when you have buttered up your last diaper, you won't realize it at the time, you might even miss it because the next big event is dating, prom, graduation, leaving home. It goes fast.

Rain Man
09-17-2004, 06:00 PM
Well, except when your wife f*cks up and buys you those Aquaman Underoos. We all know how you love to shit on on Aquaman.

I must admit, the irony of urinating in my Aquaman underwear is hard to resist.

Rain Man
09-17-2004, 06:06 PM
Toddlers are not mentally challenged, they are just lazy. You say "OK little Johnney remember When you have to go Poo Poo just tell Mommy & dady, and we will help get to the toilet, but don't Poo in your Diaper" What Little Johnny is thinking " F-You Mommy it's my diaper, and I'll poop in it if I want"

What do you mean, 'toddlers are not mentally challenged.'? I've never met one yet that had a mental age of more than four.

PastorMikH
09-17-2004, 08:02 PM
I read a number of years ago an article about this very topic. The author, who I believe was a child psychologist, was of the belief that the child is seeing a solid part of themselves disappear and they feel like it could be their entirety some day.

Not exactly sure about the reasoning there. My kids didn't exactly want to keep the dirty diaper around. Didn't really bother them that a part of themselves was disappearing - in fact I think they kinda prefered it.

My theory on Child Psycologists is that they write papers on Child Behavior for their Masters and Phd Thesis, go into child psych, then they have kids of their own. Once they have kids of their own, they pray that the thesis article gets forgotten, then they scratch out the "Child Psychologist" from the shingle outside their door. Seriously, there's a lot of stuff out there that people read that just simply doesn't work - only problem is they buy into it and by the time they realize it isn't working, the kid is a teenager and won't listen anymore.

The Pedestrian
09-17-2004, 10:16 PM
When you can't bribe, punish. Get one of those old-fashioned pajamas with the backdoor, put an opened garbage bag up to it, and duct tape the bag there. Eventually it'll piss him off so much that he'll sit on the toilet.

John_Wayne
09-17-2004, 10:24 PM
Has anyone said to rub his nose in it and throw him outside everytime he craps his pants yet? That usually seems to work.

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 10:26 PM
Has anyone said to rub his nose in it and throw him outside everytime he craps his pants yet? That usually seems to work. Yeah... this'd be the third time. But it's good advice.

John_Wayne
09-17-2004, 10:29 PM
Here's a radical idea that I've heard. I'm serious about this. It's not a joke. I had another parent tell us that they just strip their kid naked and let him run around the house in his birthday suit. 3 year old kids will NOT bend over and dump if they don't have pants, underroos or a diaper to catch it. They said their boys were potty trained almost instantly. When the kid felt the "waste" "coming out" he ran to the potty. I don't know if it would work for everyone, but it worked for them. They have 2 boys and it worked for both of them.

The Pedestrian
09-17-2004, 11:19 PM
Here's a radical idea that I've heard. I'm serious about this. It's not a joke. I had another parent tell us that they just strip their kid naked and let him run around the house in his birthday suit. 3 year old kids will NOT bend over and dump if they don't have pants, underroos or a diaper to catch it. They said their boys were potty trained almost instantly. When the kid felt the "waste" "coming out" he ran to the potty. I don't know if it would work for everyone, but it worked for them. They have 2 boys and it worked for both of them.

If this is used, make sure the kid can't find a way to sit on the trashcan.