PDA

View Full Version : So, we got any hardcore fisherman here?

Ghostof
09-17-2004, 09:18 AM
Well, since I have yet to make a thread here, this will be a good first one.

Are there any hardcore fishermen here? I mean hardcore as in tournament bass fisherman and local fisherman, not the weekend warriors who go to Sportshows and buy the newest retail piece of sheet that will catch more fish because of its "color and it wiggles purty." I'm talking fishing through storms, rainshowers, icefishing in below zero weather, etc etc.

Where do you like to fish? What do you throw? Favorite rod/reel combination? etc etc

I'll start. If I had my choice, Id be a guide on a lake, but since that hasnt happened yet, I'm stuck in this frickin cubicle. I fish private property, south of KC about 45 minutes. I cast mostly spinnerbaits that I build. My favorite rod/reel is a six foot all star rod with a shimano baitcast, either a calcutta or chronarch.

**Fish stories would be appropriate too.

seclark
09-17-2004, 09:29 AM
telling a fisherman he's not hard-core is like people around here that they're not real fans.

i know a guy that likes to hand fish.
sec

KC Jones
09-17-2004, 09:34 AM
To my shame I really don't know much of anything about fishing. I was fine with that, but now that I have two boys I really want to do some outdoors stuff with them. I can put a worm on a hook and a line in the water, but I don't really know what to use and probably couldn't tell one fish from another. Hell, I haven't cleaned a fish since I was about 14.

The wife and I used to do some backpacking before the kids arrived and once they are old enough we plan to get back into it. Probably won't do any serious back country stuff until their a lot older though - I'd be too afraid of mountain lions or bears thinking they'd make a nice snack. I've seen plenty of bears from a distance in the back country and plenty of bear scat. I've never seen a mountain lion, but I'm sure some have seen me.

NewChief
09-17-2004, 09:35 AM
I've got a few pictures of me fishing in a partially frozen stream with about 3 feet of snow on the ground that I'll pull up and paste when I get home. Not to mention I was wearing leaky waders. Not sure if that qualifies me for hard core or not.

I fish primarily with a flyrod, though I occasionally spincast (fishing for walleye). I fish probably 50-60 days out of the year, give or take a few and usually tye flies 2 nights a week or so. Trout fishing is probably still my favorite kind of fishing, with very small midge patterns or with the occasional large streamer. I prefer sight casting to actively feeding fish over blind bottom bouncing, though I'm definitely not above bottom bouncing, either if the conditions demand it.

I also fish for smallmouth, largemouth, and panfish on the multitude of small streams that are within a 15 minute drive from my house. I generally use crayfish and minnow imitations, though when the topwater action is working, I'd prefer fishing that than anything.

The coolest fishing experience I've had lately was down in Destin, FL with my family. I got to cast a topwater fly into a school of feeding bluefish that were crashing bait about 10 feet from where I was wading in the surf. That was absolutely amazing! Watching those fish just slash at my fly repeatedly as I stripped it back in, then WHAMMO! one finally hooks into it and starts screaming line off the reel. It was a really cool experience that I hope to repeat often.

My favorite rod/reel is my most expensive which is a St. Croix Avid 4pc. 6wt. The reel is a piece of junk. I've got 3 other rods that are also pieces of junk. I'm currently saving up for a decent Ross or Lamson reel.

That's about it. You can often see my fishing exploits at www.mcflyshop.com/reports because a friend of mine owns that shop, and we fish together pretty often. Of course, I'm usually the one holding the small fish, while he's got the monsters;)

C-Mac
09-17-2004, 09:36 AM
telling a fisherman he's not hard-core is like people around here that they're not real fans.

i know a guy that likes to hand fish.
sec

...noodler eh?

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 09:38 AM
To my shame I really don't know much of anything about fishing. I was fine with that, but now that I have two boys I really want to do some outdoors stuff with them. I can put a worm on a hook and a line in the water, but I don't really know what to use and probably couldn't tell one fish from another. Hell, I haven't cleaned a fish since I was about 14.

You can pick up a conservation guide for free at any walmart. That'll help you ID the fish... As for cleaning, you'll get the hang of it after the first few.

I recently started fishing a little myself. Same situation. I hadn't been since I was a kid... but now I've got two boys of my own.

ENDelt260
09-17-2004, 09:40 AM
I believe it was Skip who for awhile had in his sig... "Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat all day and drink beer."

By that definition, I'm most definitely a hardcore fisherman. Hell, I don't even require a boat.

seclark
09-17-2004, 09:41 AM
...noodler eh?
little bit...
sec

C-Mac
09-17-2004, 09:44 AM

The wife and I used to do some backpacking before the kids arrived and once they are old enough we plan to get back into it. Probably won't do any serious back country stuff until their a lot older though - I'd be too afraid of mountain lions or bears thinking they'd make a nice snack. I've seen plenty of bears from a distance in the back country and plenty of bear scat. I've never seen a mountain lion, but I'm sure some have seen me.

As a fellow father I say to you, find a way to get them fishing! The playstation era will steal your childrens outdoor desires if you dont do anything. Im fortunate to have 3 boys and fortunate that if I say " want to go fishing?" they drop the controls and say "oh ya". The trick is the first few times try to take them somewhere that they are for sure going to catch some kind of fish or at least get some bites. If this happens they are usually hooked for life or at least until the find out how to catch girls.
:D

ENDelt260
09-17-2004, 09:46 AM
at least until the find out how to catch girls.

When I was a kid, a leader in my Boy Scout troop once told me, "You chasing girls is like a dog chasing a car. If you ever caught one, you wouldn't know what to do with it."

It was kinda funny then... but, ferkrissakes I'm 25 now. Is anyone gonna clue me in sometime soon?

NewChief
09-17-2004, 09:46 AM
The trick is the first few times try to take them somewhere that they are for sure going to catch some kind of fish or at least get some bites.

Definitely. Farm ponds are usually great places to take a youngster fishing.

Phobia
09-17-2004, 09:47 AM
I used to fish a lot, but then I discovered golf. I've found each to be incredibly frustrating, but golf is a helluva lot more expensive. For some reason, that's what I chose.

Iowanian
09-17-2004, 09:51 AM
I fish alot.....Prefer farm ponds.

Went to Bull Shoals a couple of weeks ago, and am leaving to camp and fish 3 lakes in Iowa this weekend.

If I had to keep only 2 lures.......7" plastic worms(hopefully I could keep several selections) and the Bill Dance Bass colored Popper......or a buzz bait.

I've been looking all over for my favorite plastic worm to no avail...........7" salted Gene Larew Electric Blue with the white tail.........Anyone know where I can find that?

Iowanian
09-17-2004, 09:54 AM
KCJones,

If you want to get into fishing, with your kids, but don't know much...........Most local County conservation offices have "kids days" and Free fishing weekends.......They'll provide poles and tackle, give instruction on how to fish(very basic) and let them fish a while.

You can always ask someone who does fish for advice, tips etc..........

I'm no pro, but I know a little and have fished since I was a kid. go buy some zebco 404 combos to start, a basic hook, weight and bobber set, some worms and go find a public fishing place to catch some sunfish to start. Farm ponds are Top notch if you can get permission....alot more action for the kids.

Ghostof
09-17-2004, 10:02 AM
NewChief ,

Taneycomo is one of my favorite places. My wife bought a fly rod/reel for me two years ago. I tend to get a room at Point Royale and fish in the trophy section most of the time. Its more quiet, but I swear, theres more asses down there that do the powerbait crap in the backwaters when the horns go off. A couple weeks ago, we drove down to Rogers and then back over to Eureka Springs...great country down there. I wish the ideals and the attitudes from the ozarks would leak into the city. Found a few more nice spots near Hollister also.

Also, check out Montauk State Park near Rolla and Salem Missouri sometime. It doesnt get as much traffic as Bennett or Roaring River.

MOhillbilly
09-17-2004, 10:02 AM
Yeah,were pretty hardcore where im from.
change the course of the river and whatnot.

HarryParatestes
09-17-2004, 10:05 AM
A case of cold beer and a tub of chicken livers....

.... life gets NO better than that.

NewChief
09-17-2004, 10:07 AM
NewChief ,

Taneycomo is one of my favorite places. My wife bought a fly rod/reel for me two years ago. I tend to get a room at Point Royale and fish in the trophy section most of the time. Its more quiet, but I swear, theres more asses down there that do the powerbait crap in the backwaters when the horns go off. A couple weeks ago, we drove down to Rogers and then back over to Eureka Springs...great country down there. I wish the ideals and the attitudes from the ozarks would leak into the city. Found a few more nice spots near Hollister also.

Also, check out Montauk State Park near Rolla and Salem Missouri sometime. It doesnt get as much traffic as Bennett or Roaring River.

Ghost,

Taneycomo is freaking awesome, and it's fishing really, really well right now. My guide buddies have been having some amazing days there (50 fish or more per person) with clients that are total newbies to flyfishing. The fish are all really fat and feeding very well. It's definitely one of my favorite places to fish, specifically right across the river from the boat launch. Those shallows over there are great for sight-casting to fish in shallow water.

Did you go to Beaver Tailwaters while in Eureka? Those are my "home" trout waters. It's a pretty pathetic little fishery, but it's close by and can produce a lot of fish (they're just all pretty small). If you ever get a chance to go to the Norfork/White definitely do it. Other than being too crowded, the size of the fish are amazing.

I actually went to Roaring River a week ago, and I had an okay day there. Nothing spectacular. I've been wanting to get up to Montauk for a while, but haven't managed it yet. So much water, so little time.

Anytime you're down this way, give me a PM. We can hook up for some fishing.

Ghostof
09-17-2004, 10:10 AM
Iowanian,

For that size and color of Gene Larew...try Rogers Lures in LIberty Missouri.

http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/

I used to buy all my salt craws...black with silver glitter claws..from them.

They usually sell them in bulk packs of 20 or more.

Iowanian
09-17-2004, 10:24 AM
You know...I think my uncle from south Kc mentioned that place..I'll check it out, and when I find them, I will buy bulk. bass pro in springfield doesn't carry them, nor their website.

I'm not much of a trout fisherman...But I have fished the Current and Jacks Fork rivers for trout and smallmouth with an ultralight a couple of times....Pretty fun..........but too damn many snakes.

KCWolfman
09-17-2004, 11:17 AM
I used to fish a lot, but then I discovered golf. I've found each to be incredibly frustrating, but golf is a helluva lot more expensive. For some reason, that's what I chose.
If your day sucks, you don't have to move if you are fishing.

C-Mac
09-17-2004, 11:29 AM
You know...I think my uncle from south Kc mentioned that place..I'll check it out, and when I find them, I will buy bulk. bass pro in springfield doesn't carry them, nor their website.

I'm not much of a trout fisherman...But I have fished the Current and Jacks Fork rivers for trout and smallmouth with an ultralight a couple of times....Pretty fun..........but too damn many snakes.

Dont do trout either but them small mouth are a blast! Caught a many canoeing on the Bufallo River in Arkansas but the best small mouthin' is in Canada in the month of June when the males are guarding the nest.

C-Mac
09-17-2004, 11:34 AM

Ive lost a lot a fishing friends to that @#!% golf game. I must excercise much self control to keep from grabbing those steel rods and go the way of my lost friends.
:shake:

C-Mac
09-17-2004, 11:41 AM
NewChief ,

Hey Ghostof, where do you live?

ptlyon
09-17-2004, 11:42 AM
Hey Ghostof, where do you live?

Looks like Alaska

C-Mac
09-17-2004, 12:27 PM
Looks like Alaska

I know, I even searched for a Juno, Missouri. He was just in Arkansas so he cant be too far.

Ghostof
09-17-2004, 12:41 PM
Sorry about the Juno thing.

I live in Lawrence Kansas. I'm not a big jayhawk fan, but on occasion I go to their games when I get free tickets from friends.

Been a Chiefs fan since Blackledge...used to collect Lynn Dickey Football cards, since he grew up near where I lived.

C-Mac
09-17-2004, 12:49 PM
Sorry about the Juno thing.

I live in Lawrence Kansas. I'm not a big jayhawk fan, but on occasion I go to their games when I get free tickets from friends.

Been a Chiefs fan since Blackledge...used to collect Lynn Dickey Football cards, since he grew up near where I lived.

Lynn Dickey is from Osawatomie, where did that put you?

Ghostof
09-17-2004, 12:55 PM
South East of Osawatomie, off of 69 highway.

The town has gotten a bad rep in the last couple of years, between all the drug bullshit and dead bodies found in barrels in ponds.

C-Mac
09-17-2004, 12:57 PM
Lane?

ENDelt260
09-17-2004, 12:57 PM
Been a Chiefs fan since Blackledge

I could see how Blackledge would make someone a fan.

Ghostof
09-17-2004, 01:01 PM
La Cygne

Dont eat the fish if you catch them out of the Power Plant lake either, but they arent as bad as the fish out at Wolf Creek.

Calcountry
09-17-2004, 01:05 PM
Yeah, something is fishy about that?

Ghostof
09-17-2004, 01:07 PM
Lane had a serial killer? Guess I missed that one.

C-Mac, Where you from?

C-Mac
09-17-2004, 01:10 PM
La Cygne

Dont eat the fish if you catch them out of the Power Plant lake either, but they arent as bad as the fish out at Wolf Creek.

Are the Boone brothers still around?

Ghostof
09-17-2004, 01:14 PM
Which one?

Pat..oldest..hes calmed down a bit I guess.

Richard...he was pretty cool.

Jerry-Paul. . He was the nice one.

Yeah they were notorious for fighting, they were a little before my time, by 5-8 years.

I always heard stories about the Boone brothers going over to Osawatomie and kicking ass, or Paola...sometimes Drexel.

I seen Pat pick up a guy who I went to school with, known as Silo. Silo was around 6'2", 300 pounds. Pat was drunk at a bar in town and picked Silo up with one hand around the throat and slammed him to the ground...all because Silo put his hand on Pats shoulder.

C-Mac
09-17-2004, 01:18 PM
I'm originally from Paola and had a few run in's in my days. I used to go to a little Honkytonk bar and play drums just east of the highway in front of the power plant, doubt its still there.

Ghostof
09-17-2004, 01:18 PM
The Blackledge comment was a little sarcasm...because we passed on Kelly and Marino.

Who knows what it would have been like with either of those two at the helm for the Chiefs. I'm sure it would have been better then what we ended up with.

Ghostof
09-17-2004, 01:20 PM
Wagon Wheel?

That later became Desperado..and had some damn good barbeque...and now it has a different owner.

Ghostof
09-17-2004, 01:21 PM
Did you know Tyson Hartley?

I used to cruise Paola all the time, and know several people over around that area.

Rick
09-17-2004, 01:21 PM
Beaver Lake, Table Rock, Wilson Lake, Grand Lake, Big Hill, several state fishing lakes, Wolf Creek- relaxation time (anyone can catch fish there). I have most success plastic worm, lizard, chompers, jig-n-pig, etc. (soft-plastics worked slow). Table Rock Lake is hard to beat. I know it the best and have had much success there. Big Hill is a nice bass lake with more smallies than many other places. I'm around the Wichita, KS area. I have no GPS but am interested in learning to use them when I get the time. Spring baseball coaching keeps me from many tournaments.

Ghostof
09-17-2004, 01:30 PM
**another fishing post.....I thought I would share the spot with you

I found these a few months back near West Mineral, Kansas. Its located west of Pittsburg Kansas and east of Parsons, Kansas.

The fishing down there looks pretty damn good. One of the strip pits even has a trout lake.

I'm thinking about taking a Friday off and heading down for some early fall fishing.

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/PDF/Brochures/AreaMaps/Reg5/MinedLndWA.pdf

Ebolapox
09-17-2004, 01:34 PM
someone needs to do a hardcore website on fishermen from pennsylvania... they're hardcore there, bro...

-EB-

C-Mac
09-17-2004, 02:17 PM
I let you in on a nice little secret. Farmington lake west of Ft Scott Kansas, is one of the best fishing lakes I've ever been on, perhaps the best. Its techically called Crawford State lake. Clear water with lots of rock, willow trees, and bank reeds. Every type of panfish, catfish, bass and even stripers.

Ghostof
09-17-2004, 02:48 PM
Is that lake near Redfield?

I fish all the privately owned strip pits near Amsterdam, Amoret, Rich Hill, and Foster. Those are all in Missouri, small towns under 1000...I think Foster has like 60 or 70 people.

C-Mac
09-17-2004, 03:03 PM
Is that lake near Redfield?

I fish all the privately owned strip pits near Amsterdam, Amoret, Rich Hill, and Foster. Those are all in Missouri, small towns under 1000...I think Foster has like 60 or 70 people.

Its south of Redfield about 17 miles as the crow flies. If you come from the south its north of Girard 7 miles on 7 highway. From the north go south of Ft. Scott to highway 39 east till you hit 7.

OldTownChief
09-17-2004, 03:09 PM

ROFL I was about to say "Most fans were fans til Blackledge"

redsurfer11
09-17-2004, 06:23 PM
I've got a few pictures of me fishing in a partially frozen stream with about 3 feet of snow on the ground that I'll pull up and paste when I get home. Not to mention I was wearing leaky waders. Not sure if that qualifies me for hard core or not.

I fish primarily with a flyrod, though I occasionally spincast (fishing for walleye). I fish probably 50-60 days out of the year, give or take a few and usually tye flies 2 nights a week or so. Trout fishing is probably still my favorite kind of fishing, with very small midge patterns or with the occasional large streamer. I prefer sight casting to actively feeding fish over blind bottom bouncing, though I'm definitely not above bottom bouncing, either if the conditions demand it.

I also fish for smallmouth, largemouth, and panfish on the multitude of small streams that are within a 15 minute drive from my house. I generally use crayfish and minnow imitations, though when the topwater action is working, I'd prefer fishing that than anything.

The coolest fishing experience I've had lately was down in Destin, FL with my family. I got to cast a topwater fly into a school of feeding bluefish that were crashing bait about 10 feet from where I was wading in the surf. That was absolutely amazing! Watching those fish just slash at my fly repeatedly as I stripped it back in, then WHAMMO! one finally hooks into it and starts screaming line off the reel. It was a really cool experience that I hope to repeat often.

My favorite rod/reel is my most expensive which is a St. Croix Avid 4pc. 6wt. The reel is a piece of junk. I've got 3 other rods that are also pieces of junk. I'm currently saving up for a decent Ross or Lamson reel.

That's about it. You can often see my fishing exploits at www.mcflyshop.com/reports because a friend of mine owns that shop, and we fish together pretty often. Of course, I'm usually the one holding the small fish, while he's got the monsters;)

New Chief, personally I've tired of catching bluefish. I like to catch fish that I like to eat, and I can't stand the taste of bluefish. But they are one of the great fighting fish in the world. If you want to catch the monster blues, go to the Oregon Inlet on the Hatteras Island, North Carolina. The time to go would be the middle of November.Went down there on Thanksgivings for 14 years.They leave broken surf rods all over the beach, and the fish run from 15 to 25 pounds. The fisherman there pile them up like logs, alot of piles are three feet high.If you want to fish for Stripped Bass, go to the Jersey Shore the first three weeks of November.The Bass are piled up everywhere. I've got a 52 pounder on my wall.

PastorMikH
09-17-2004, 08:12 PM
I used to be a hard-core fisherman but then I got stuck in SW Kansas. I am presently working on retaining the title though now. Started off this spring by trout fishing while big snowflakes were falling.

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 08:16 PM
I used to be a hard-core fisherman but then I got stuck in SW Kansas. I am presently working on retaining the title though now. Started off this spring by trout fishing while big snowflakes were falling. Trout are really fun to catch. We used to go to Bennet Springs in southern MO every summer when I was a kid. You'd catch your limit most every day... clean 'em, fry 'em... and have 'em for lunch. Good times.

PastorMikH
09-17-2004, 08:20 PM
Trout are really fun to catch. We used to go to Bennet Springs in southern MO every summer when I was a kid. You'd catch your limit most every day... clean 'em, fry 'em... and have 'em for lunch. Good times.

Had an uncle (grandfather's brother) that lived in Lebanon. My grandfather would take me down there with him when they'd go fishing. I remember one day we were fishing where the water from the hatchery re-joins the stream and a guy walks out and stands about 15 feet in front of my uncle and started fishing. My uncle just kept on fishing. The guy in front of him didn't catch a thing, but when my uncle caught his 3rd fish right at the guy's feet, the guy got mad and stormed out of the stream and went to try his luck elsewhere. It was one of those priceless moments.

OldTownChief
09-17-2004, 08:24 PM
Trout are really fun to catch.

Not to mention..damn tasty. Whenever I hear a woman refered to as smelling like a Trout. I'm thinking, I gotta have me some of that.

C-Mac
09-17-2004, 10:12 PM
Has anyone here ever heard of or eaten a Trigger fish? Its a salt water fish that I caught down in Destin Florida. I love to fish but not a big fish eater, but that trigger fish was unlike any fish I've ever eaten. Delicious!