PDA

View Full Version : Kawika in, Wesley/Holliday out

B2chiefsfan
09-17-2004, 03:41 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/09/17/qa_with_dick_vermeil/

Q&A with Dick Vermeil

Sep 17, 2004, 3:57:34 PM

Q: Are DE Vonnie Holliday (http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/vonnie_holliday/) and S Greg Wesley (http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/greg_wesley/) out for Sunday’s game?
DICK VERMEIL: “They’re very doubtful. Very doubtful.”Q: Why wasn’t S Willie Pile wasn’t here today?VERMEIL: “He was at his grandmother’s funeral. He’ll be back tomorrow morning.”Q: Will he start assuming Wesley doesn’t play?VERMEIL: “Yes.”Q: Does LB Kawika Mitchell have a chance of being active?VERMEIL: “He’s ready to play. He’ll be active and he’ll play.”Q: Will you rotate Mitchell?VERMEIL: “No I don’t know if we’ll rotate him, but he’ll play.”Q: How does the RB Stephen Davis injury change things for you?VERMEIL: “It’s a little different style of runner. (RB DeShaun) Foster is a little more of a bounce around guy. Start inside and bounce outside. He gives you some problems and he’s a fine runner.”Q: Were you able to change your practice prep in any way because of the different style of runners?VERMEIL: “No.”Q: What’s the rule on when opponents tell you of injuries?VERMEIL: “I don’t care when they tell me, it doesn’t change anything for us.”Q: How did T John Welbourn progress in practice today?VERMEIL: “He has had a good week. He’s got to stack up some good weeks in a row in game preparation and games to get used to playing right tackle.”Q: Is Sunday about what you expected to see out of a guy who hasn’t played right tackle?VERMEIL: “I thought he would have some problems. The illegal procedures… it doesn’t matter if you’re right guard or a left tackle or wherever you are. I think he’ll eliminate those. That’s a tough environment. I think he’ll be better in everything he does Sunday.”Q: The Packers used an extra lineman a lot last Monday night?VERMEIL: “That’s how they run the football. They put a third tackle on the field and it had nothing to do with pass protecting (DE) Julius Peppers. He’s not in there on passing downs. He’s only in there to run. (The Packers run scheme) is a force.”Q: You’ve got that third offensive tackle in TE Jason Dunn don’t you?VERMEIL: “Yeah, in essence almost. We get almost the same thing, maybe we do. He just doesn’t weigh three hundred and some pounds.”Q: Have you emphasized with your receivers to play faster and be crisper in their routes?VERMEIL: “The first thing we ought to do is not commit errors on third down and put us in third-and-long. I think we had five penalties or something on third down. That just can’t happen. Those kind of things and I think we’ve got to do in the game what we do in practice. We’ve got to get into our offense. We were out of sync and we didn’t get into a lot of the things that we do.”Q: How much do you plan on using Mitchell this weekend?VERMEIL: “I don’t know. I’d like to play him some though. He’ll play on teams for sure and I’d like to play him some as a linebacker. He practiced well with pads on yesterday and he was impressive.”“It’s hard to rotate middle linebackers, but I’d like to get him some play.”Q: Does this game feel like a playoff game since neither team wants to start 0-2?VERMEIL: “When you’re striving to be an upper-echelon team, every week is a desperation game. If you win it, it doesn’t mean you’re going to the playoffs and if you lose it, it doesn’t mean you’re not. I’ve said many times, we look at every game as a target. It doesn’t matter, it’s our second target. We’ve got to hit the target. Last week we missed. We’ve got to hit the darn thing. If you miss too many targets you don’t get too many chances to play when the season’s over.”

shakesthecat
09-17-2004, 03:50 PM
Obviously not having Wesley hurts, but not having Holliday is a push.

patteeu
09-17-2004, 04:16 PM
Can Monte "SwissArmyKnife" Beisel play strong safety?

the Talking Can
09-17-2004, 04:19 PM
great, our best D player is out...

ZootedGranny
09-17-2004, 04:20 PM

Exactly my thoughts.

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 04:24 PM
Hopefully Pile will play well. He looked great in that 3rd preseason game...

HolmeZz
09-17-2004, 04:41 PM
I don't mind Wesley being out with Smith being sidelined. They're not going to be playing longball with us anyway.

Deberg_1990
09-17-2004, 04:46 PM
Hopefully Pile will play well. He looked great in that 3rd preseason game...

What abour Harts?? Or does he play Woods position?

whoman69
09-17-2004, 05:03 PM
Why couldn't Holliday have gotten injured before the Denver game instead?

BigChiefFan
09-17-2004, 06:30 PM
Why couldn't Holliday have gotten injured before the Denver game instead?(On permanant) Holliday being out isn't too bad, although I hope Browning gets the majority of the snaps because Allen needs alot of work IMO.

whoman69
09-17-2004, 07:10 PM
(On permanant) Holliday being out isn't too bad, although I hope Browning gets the majority of the snaps because Allen needs alot of work IMO.
Wonder why we haven't heard anything of Wilkerson.

RINGLEADER
09-17-2004, 07:35 PM
Yeah, why doesn't Harts step in? Harts just seems to make plays when he's in the game...wish we'd see more of him...

Lord Bestyle
09-17-2004, 07:45 PM
Wonder why we haven't heard anything of Wilkerson.

Who?

Mr. Laz
09-17-2004, 07:46 PM
Harts = free safety

wesley = strong safety

htismaqe
09-17-2004, 07:52 PM
Harts = free safety

wesley = strong safety

Yep.

I thought Pile was a solid starter in college. I think he's flashed some potential. And safety seems to be one position we're not half bad with.

Bowser
09-17-2004, 07:55 PM
Wilkerson is the backup at LDE, not right. Although, I wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot at RDE.

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 07:59 PM
Yep.

I thought Pile was a solid starter in college. I think he's flashed some potential. Again.. he looked great in a starting role in that 3rd preseason game. Hopefully he looks as good on Sunday...

milkman
09-17-2004, 09:41 PM

IMO, our best D player is, and has been Scott Fujita.
I really don't think thaat Wesley has ever palyed as well as we thought he could after his rookie season.

Could be the result of Spinner's and little kurty's schemes, but he jsut seems less aggressive, and hasn't made as many plays.

Holliday being out is a Godsend.
I hope that groin never heals.

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 09:46 PM
IMO, our best D player is, and has been Scott Fujita.
I really don't think thaat Wesley has ever palyed as well as we thought he could after his rookie season. I think it'd be a 3 horse race between Woods, Wesley, and Fujita. Fujita has shown flashes of brilliance... I hope he can keep playing at that level. We need him to...