PDA

View Full Version : Crash that nobody heard brings community together

Coach
09-17-2004, 03:55 PM
I know that this article was in 2002, but I just want to bring it up and share a moving story. I tried to find one on the KC Star, but no luck. Anyways, I'm sure some of you fellas in KC area may heard about this.

Crash that nobody heard brings community together

By TIM DAHLBERG
AP Sports Writer

SHARON SPRINGS -- As their bus barreled through the rain and fog of a late October morning, Tyler Thompson and his teammates settled in for a long trip across Kansas.

Some slept, while others chatted about the excitement of the day before, when the Jackrabbits beat a Colorado football team 72-14. That night, they had gone to the school's homecoming dance, where they eyed the girls and enjoyed the outing.

A few rows away, senior captain Chuck Arwood was trying to read a book, but was feeling uneasy.

The bus seemed to be going awfully fast, and Arwood grew increasingly nervous as it swayed back and forth across the prairie of western Kansas.

Suddenly, he could feel the bus skidding sideways on the slick road and saw dirt flying on the windows. Arwood hung on to an overhead luggage compartment as the bus slid off the road, ripping out windows and sending players and cheerleaders tumbling about like rag dolls.

The bus skidded on its side, then tipped over, crushing the roof and tossing some students out into a wet ravine.

Cold, scared and confused, some began to panic.

A passing motorist saw the crash, and within minutes the only lawman in Wallace County, Sheriff Larry Townsend, was speeding to the scene.

The anguished cries were unlike anything he had ever heard. He saw their desperate faces -- and their hands. They were pleading for help with their hands.

"They were all trying to converse with us," Townsend said. "We didn't know what they were saying."

Soon, it became apparent why.

The bus was carrying 34 students, coaches and cheerleaders from the Kansas School for the Deaf.

The crash killed assistant coach Lory Kuschmider; everyone else survived, though many had broken bones and deep contusions.

"It was like these kids had a guardian angel watching over them," said Celeste Rains, the doctor who treated most of them.

Lying in the ravine, they couldn't tell rescuers what hurt. They couldn't hear the promises that help was on the way.

And they didn't know the people of Sharon Springs were already rallying to their aid.

For the full article, please click this. There is a picture on the reult of the bus after the crash.

http://www.morningsun.net/stories/120102/usw_1201020023.shtml#

The reason why I brought this up was, my younger brother who's 16 right now, was 14 at the time, and was in the crash. The reason why I bring this up is because you never know what's going to happen. Remember to cherish your family members and friends, even if you have a strong dislike towards them. Me and my brother's relationship wasn't at best of both worlds before this tragedy. I don't know what would had happened to me if I lost him. I'm just thankful to get a second chance with him.

38yrsfan
09-17-2004, 04:59 PM
Very wise words. It is so easy to get caught up in the trivial things in life and the really important part - the people are so often taken for granted. Even though I worked in a hospital for many years and saw the frail side of life, it is still easy to get caught up in the "non-important". As a vet from decades ago I saw that death is so close and usually comes unexpectedly. It is a uniquely strange feeling when you have the thought, "that was the last time I ever saw him alive". I was unfortunate to have that experience with my older brother when he was only 38. It is the reason one of the quotes in sig is "remember the past, plan for the future but live for the day."