PDA

View Full Version : Will you help Jeff George find a job?

Deberg_1990
09-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Pretty good read......I will admit, this guy has been unfaily blackballed by the NFL. He still sucks though.....hes one of those guys that puts up good stats and is a great 'box score" and fantasy QB but then does stupid stuff to cause his team to lose. I.E. fumbles and untimely interceptions......Something tells me Whitlock is behind this story? Hmmmmmm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1883419

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

At last glance, the rather motley roll call of No. 2 quarterbacks in the NFL included at least one repeat drug offender, a self-confessed recovering alcoholic who once abandoned his team, seven kids who have never thrown a single pass in a regular-season contest, two veterans dragged out of retirement, one guy coming off shoulder surgery, a man whose best position might be wide receiver, a 41-year-old whose aura has always exceeded his talent level, and a guy who suffered a neck injury after he celebrated a touchdown run by bouncing his head off a wall behind the end zone.

Nowhere among that dubious assemblage will you find the name of Jeff George, who at age 36 would graciously accept even a third spot on someone's quarterback depth chart but who remains a passing pariah.

Jeff George
Jeff George hasn't played in a game since the 2001 season with the Redskins.
At home in Indianapolis, the 13-year veteran and first player selected overall in the 1990 draft still pushes through a two-hour cardio workout at least four times a week, throws just about every day to old high school buddies and friends willing to suffer the bruises and welts that accompany his passes, stewards his son's fall baseball league team, and offers nuggets to friends who are now local high school coaches.

Oh, yeah, he also sits around the house for hours, waiting for the phone to ring.

"It's hard to watch the games on Sunday, really, because I can't imagine I couldn't be helping some team in some way," said George earlier this week, before heading over to his alma mater, Warren Central High School, for another throwing session. "Here I am, in the best shape I've been in for a long time, about 210 pounds, and still throwing the ball the same way I always could. But for whatever reason ..."

George hasn't thrown a regular-season pass since the second game of the 2001 season in Washington, after which then-Redskins coach Marty Schottenheimer opted for a change. He hasn't been on a roster since the 2002 season, when the Seattle Seahawks brought him in, after an injury to Trent Dilfer, as a veteran insurance policy. The last franchise to fly George in for a workout was Denver, last fall, and the phone has been silent since then.

A few weeks ago, when the Buffalo Bills lost backups J.P. Losman and Travis Brown to leg injuries within a week of each other, president and general manager Tom Donahoe considered returning the message that George left on his answering machine, but chose to call Shane Matthews instead. That has pretty much become George's existence of late, floating in some nether region where personnel directors remain somewhat aware of his availability but decline to take advantage of it.

You want to define the term maddening, well, think about this: Jeff George has 124 starts on his résumé, has thrown for 27,602 yards, has a plus-differential when it comes to touchdown passes versus interceptions, carries a career passer rating of 80.4, and, in the eyes of general managers, coaches and offensive coordinators, apparently doesn't rank among the top 96 quarterbacks on the planet?

Come on.

If this sounds a little personal, uh, yeah, it probably has some of those elements. For the past few years, we have annually fought a mini-crusade, trying to persuade some team to at least afford George a workout. After all, in a league hardly rife with excellence at the backup quarterback position, one would assume there is at least one enlightened general manager out there, right? Well, apparently not, folks.

As strong-armed as George remains, that's how strong-headed NFL teams appear to be, with franchises willing to sign lesser-talented and substantially more flawed quarterbacks than to merely grant an audition the 13-year veteran. Protests to the contrary, everyone knows the Dallas Cowboys released starting quarterback Quincy Carter, at least in part, because of a failed drug test.

It took Carter all of just three weeks, however, to find a new employer.

“ It's hard to watch the games on Sunday, really, because I can't imagine I couldn't be helping some team in some way. ”
— Jeff George

For George, it has been eight years now since his ugly sideline contretemps with then-Atlanta coach June Jones, definitely a regrettable event precipitated when the quarterback was yanked from a game, a spitting match viewed by a prime-time audience. But, apparently, time has not blurred the moment, and the specter of George and Jones going jaw-to-jaw must be an indelible image for some personnel directors who might not want their own track records so readily recalled. It's OK for those guys to err on a first-round draft pick, another matter entirely for George to have made a mistake.

"Look, everybody knows the history, and I understand people are going to (dredge up) all the old stories and stuff," George said. "But, heck, eight or 10 years, that's a long time. I would think that, by now, I could put that stuff behind me."

Indeed, one might suggest the statute of limitations on George's well-known petulance has expired by now. Even for abrasions that were principally self-inflicted, time should be able to heal all wounds. But when it comes to Jeff George, the memories of NFL front office people are elephantine and the time spent investigating a quarterback blessed with all-time gifts is minuscule.

Query a team official about George, and the one-man leper colony he has become, and the normal reaction is a sigh and rolled eyes. Ask the same officials, however, if they have ever met George, even casually, or engaged him in dialogue, and they concede they have not. New York Jets management boasted after signing Carter a few weeks ago that they had spent plenty of time examining his case. The bet here is that the Jets, and most other franchises, haven't invested a single phone call scrutinizing George's background.

And therein lies the flaw.

To know Jeff George, and we know this from firsthand experience, you have to invest the time to sit down with him, to figure out what makes him tick. The answers don't come in the kind of 10-minute interviews most teams' access rules dictate these days. Instead, there has to be probative dialogue, tough questions, a reconciliation that comprehending the guy is going to involve more than the standard Kodak moment. There has to be an unearthing of his basic humanness, and that takes some digging.

"Hey, you've got kids, right?" said George, in supplication. "What do I do here?"

Had the rest of Atlanta been privy to that phone call, the city that derided George might have understood him. The same fans who had come to despise him might well have given George a second chance had they been able to view him as something more than a real-life JUGS machine. We said it then and reiterate it now: The guy perceived as the ultimate coach-killer is hardly an ax murderer, and there are dozens of players around the league, still drawing paychecks, who are a ton more sociopath than George will ever be.

Unfortunately, few people know the Jeff George who helped cajole his father, Dave, back into shape after he suffered a catastrophic heart attack in 1995. There aren't many general managers who know that George's mom, Judy, is a breast cancer survivor, and that her son has raised a considerable sum to support cancer research. Not many people have seen George, the devoted family man, doting over his three kids.

Those things don't make George a better quarterback, of course. But they do make him a better person than he is perceived to be. And, let's be honest, the reason his telephone doesn't ring isn't because George can't throw a football anymore but rather because of what league personnel guys see as character flaws.

George will never acknowledge that he has been victimized by a few influential coaches who have steered teams away from him -- and he politely declined to answer when asked whether he is being blackballed -- but there are few other rational explanations for his absence from an NFL roster.

"There are teams who, when I've called them, have told me that I'm overqualified for a No. 3 job on their depth chart," George said, laughing. "I mean, maybe I should go in for a workout and 'tank' a few throws, huh, so they won't think I'm too good for them. All I want at this point is for someone to look me in the eye and tell me the truth. But there is no one who says I can't play anymore. It's just a bunch of excuses. You get tired of the same old thing over and over again."

Make no mistake: George's itch to get back into the league is about neither closure nor cash. He has never been frivolous with his money and can probably live comfortably without ever working again. And he isn't an athlete pining to go out "his way," to exit the game on his conditions, not those forced by the whims of someone else. Nah, his desire is fueled by something more basic, the knowledge that he is still talented enough to play in the NFL and that there are lesser men holding down jobs for which he is qualified.

His obvious frustrations aside, George isn't ready yet to submit, and so the sessions on the practice field figure to extend indefinitely. In his mind, he isn't certain his situation will change, but George is a guy who leads more often with his heart than his head.

"I'm a positive thinker and a man of faith," he said. "Maybe no one will call, I really don't know, OK? But I'm not going to take the chance that someone calls and I'm not ready. I mean, for my own sanity, I have to be ready. Everyone else can make excuses, but I'm not about to give some team another excuse not to sign me.

"My friends, even people in my family, they question how much longer I can keep chasing this thing. But, hey, guys play into their 40s now. If I knew I didn't still have the talent, yeah, then it would be time to stop. But physically, I know I can still do it, that I can help some team on and off the field. When I stop believing that, I'll know it's time to quit pushing myself, but I'm not close to that point yet."

ENDelt260
09-17-2004, 06:44 PM
I couldn't help but think of Whitlock, too...

What is it with fatass sports columnists and Jeff George?

Bowser
09-17-2004, 06:46 PM
Whitlock is probablly in tears right now..............

I will say this--he probablly IS better than 90% of the second and third stringers today.Getting passed over for Shane Matthews? Ouch!

Count Alex's Losses
09-17-2004, 06:47 PM
LMAO poor Georgie. Maybe nobody wants you because you suck.

Now we wait for Taco to come along and tell us Jeff George is better than Trent Green.

ENDelt260
09-17-2004, 06:47 PM
I remember when he played for the Colts... I loved stumbling upon one of those games on TV. You were always guaranteed to get a good shot of him screaming, "CATCH THE F*CKING BALL!"

Deberg_1990
09-17-2004, 06:49 PM
I remember when he played for the Colts... I loved stumbling upon one of those games on TV. You were always guaranteed to get a good shot of him screaming, "CATCH THE F*CKING BALL!"

He did have a couple of big years in Atlanta and that one year with the Vikings.....he would probably do good in our offense to be honest...

Count Alex's Losses
09-17-2004, 06:52 PM

I just remember DT sacking him 6 times.

Count Alex's Losses
09-17-2004, 06:53 PM
He did have a couple of big years in Atlanta and that one year with the Vikings.....he would probably do good in our offense to be honest...

No he wouldn't. He couldn't consistently make reads, IMO, and he'd be screaming his heads off at Morton and Kennison for dropping passes.

Deberg_1990
09-17-2004, 06:54 PM
No he wouldn't. He couldn't consistently make reads, IMO, and he'd be screaming his heads off at Morton and Kennison for dropping passes.

So your telling me you think that Todd Collins is better than George? Riiiiight.....

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 06:55 PM
I just remember DT sacking him 6 times. Wasn't that the game where DT "called his shot" before nailing George for a safety?

Rain Man
09-17-2004, 06:57 PM
I know that George was a jerk for a while, but I thought that he got humbled enough that he had mellowed during his last few years. I don't recall him being a jerk in Oakland, for example. Am I wrong about that?

andoman
09-17-2004, 07:30 PM
He should prove himself in Canada.

whoman69
09-17-2004, 08:04 PM
Million dollar arm, nickle brain. The reality is that most teams that had him, couldn't wait to get rid of him. The only team he was on that even came close to being as good as it was before they had him was the Vikings and remember they had 47 year old Randall Cunningham in there before him. If you're playing fantasy football, this guy is not bad, though just barely throwing more TDs than INTs is not nearly as impressive as Pasquarelli makes it out to be. Shane Matthews ahead of Jeff George, sounds about right.

OldTownChief
09-17-2004, 08:08 PM
Poor guy started out with such high hopes.

Deberg_1990
09-17-2004, 08:09 PM
Million dollar arm, nickle brain. The reality is that most teams that had him, couldn't wait to get rid of him. The only team he was on that even came close to being as good as it was before they had him was the Vikings and remember they had 47 year old Randall Cunningham in there before him. If you're playing fantasy football, this guy is not bad, though just barely throwing more TDs than INTs is not nearly as impressive as Pasquarelli makes it out to be. Shane Matthews ahead of Jeff George, sounds about right.

In all fairness, his TD to INT ratio isnt too bad considering he threw alot of those picks on some pretty woeful Colts teams in the early 90's.....after he left there he did pretty well overall....stats wise anyways....I still maintain he doesnt have those crucial "intangables" of a true winner.

Ultra Peanut
09-17-2004, 08:11 PM
So your telling me you think that Todd Collins is better than George? Riiiiight.....Yes.

Ultra Peanut
09-17-2004, 08:12 PM
I know that George was a jerk for a while, but I thought that he got humbled enough that he had mellowed during his last few years. I don't recall him being a jerk in Oakland, for example. Am I wrong about that?Maybe his jerkitude was just drowned out by the rest of the team.

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 08:12 PM
Yes. I'll second that. I don't want Jeff George on my team, period.

tk13
09-17-2004, 08:17 PM
I've always liked the guy more than most... but I can't help drool over his arm, he could sling it. If you look at his stats after he left Indianapolis, he had 113 TD, 67 INT post-Indy.... not bad at all.

If you look at the four years (not consecutive) in which he started at least 14 games after he left Indianapolis, he threw for 14,610 yds, 99 TD, 50 INT. His potential was off the charts.... he definitely wasn't the nicest guy, but Dan Marino was an asshole too...

Skip Towne
09-17-2004, 08:30 PM
George has the strongest arm I've ever seen and that covers a lot of ground. But he has one of the weakest brains I've ever seen.

Deberg_1990
09-17-2004, 08:32 PM
I've always liked the guy more than most... but I can't help drool over his arm, he could sling it. If you look at his stats after he left Indianapolis, he had 113 TD, 67 INT post-Indy.... not bad at all.

If you look at the four years (not consecutive) in which he started at least 14 games after he left Indianapolis, he threw for 14,610 yds, 99 TD, 50 INT. His potential was off the charts.... he definitely wasn't the nicest guy, but Dan Marino was an asshole too...

Yeah..he definately got blackballed unfairly.....look at this year:

I just looked up his stats...his 1997 year with the Raiders was outstanding! 3197 yards passing, 29 TD's and 9 Ints...wow! 91 QB rating.....I dont remember them being a very good team that year though??

DTLB58
09-17-2004, 08:46 PM
When I think of Jeff George I think of.....Elvis Grbac, it terms of there were times their head wasn't in the game and neither one of them was a team leader. Both had enough physical ability to play the game but not the brains to be a long term franchise QB.

Obviously George had more talent as his stats shows but neither one of them were enamored by their teammates.

patteeu
09-17-2004, 08:47 PM

He had a great year in Oakland too although the team was hampered by one of the worst defenses in the league that year. It was a year he probably would have led the Chiefs to a Superbowl if we had signed him instead of Elvis Grbac.

In fact, if the Chiefs would have signed George, we would have had a great shot at winning both the 97 and 98 superbowls and the Donkeys would still be NFL laughingstocks.

No way would George have failed us the way Grbac did in 97. George was the leader that Grbac wasn't. And if 97 hadn't ended the way it did, we might not have seen the implosion of 98.

Now I'm getting bitter.

*edit* Let me rephrase the part about George being a leader. He wasn't the leader that Trent is, but he wasn't a lame ass punk like Grbac. He had the confidence that Grbac lacked. That would have made him enough of a leader for that team to win it all. */edit*

tk13
09-17-2004, 08:55 PM
He had a great year in Oakland too although the team was hampered by one of the worst defenses in the league that year. It was a year he probably would have led the Chiefs to a Superbowl if we had signed him instead of Elvis Grbac.

In fact, if the Chiefs would have signed George, we would have had a great shot at winning both the 97 and 98 superbowls and the Donkeys would still be NFL laughingstocks.

No way would George have failed us the way Grbac did in 97. George was the leader that Grbac wasn't. And if 97 hadn't ended the way it did, we might not have seen the implosion of 98.

Now I'm getting bitter.

*edit* Let me rephrase the part about George being a leader. He wasn't the leader that Trent is, but he wasn't a lame ass punk like Grbac. He had the confidence that Grbac lacked. That would have made him enough of a leader for that team to win it all. */edit*
I think there's some merit to that. Grbac's playoff numbers were awful, just awful. George's were much better.... his problem was that he played in 3 playoff games, and his defense(s) allowed 96 points in those games. In those 3 games, George threw for 1001 yds, 9 TD, 3 INT and his offense(s) scored 84 points.

Crush
09-17-2004, 09:12 PM
Good it is settled then:

Trent > George > Grbac > Bono (SOS)

Gannon is not included for obvious reasons.

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 09:13 PM
Good it is settled then:

Sounds about right.

Bowser
09-17-2004, 09:15 PM
I think there's some merit to that. Grbac's playoff numbers were awful, just awful. George's were much better.... his problem was that he played in 3 playoff games, and his defense(s) allowed 96 points in those games. In those 3 games, George threw for 1001 yds, 9 TD, 3 INT and his offense(s) scored 84 points.

Dang! He must have pissed someone off but good to get the cold shoulder from the league.

Deberg_1990
09-17-2004, 09:19 PM
Good it is settled then:

Gannon is not included for obvious reasons.

Thats about right id say........You guys friends of Whitlocks by chance?? hes been pimping George since 1997! LOL

patteeu
09-17-2004, 09:22 PM

What on earth do you know about consistently making reads? I mean come on, the guy passed for a gazillion yards. I guess he just got lucky.

:rolleyes:

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 09:25 PM
Thats about right id say........You guys friends of Whitlocks by chance?? hes been pimping George since 1997! LOL Whitlock's list would look more like this...

George > Montana > Elway > Marino

tk13
09-17-2004, 09:33 PM
I found this old article from 1999... ROFL

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_51_223/ai_58411317

"He has the quickest arm in football," says Chiefs coach Gunther Cunningham. "And I have always said he could knock a flea off a buzzard's head at 100 yards anytime he wants, and that hasn't changed. He hasn't lost anything. He scares the heck out of you when you prepare for him. He has always been frightening to watch on film."

the Talking Can
09-17-2004, 09:37 PM
George can't handle the pressure. Just blitz him and he falls apart. Remember the last time he was in Arrowhead?

Bowser
09-17-2004, 09:44 PM
George can't handle the pressure. Just blitz him and he falls apart. Remember the last time he was in Arrowhead?

I remember Leslie O'neal about broke him in half.

the Talking Can
09-17-2004, 09:50 PM
I remember Leslie O'neal about broke him in half.

sweet, sweet memories....

Deberg_1990
09-17-2004, 09:52 PM
sweet, sweet memories....

yep..those were the days....if only we still had that defense! Oh man what a team that would be with this offense!

dtebbe
09-17-2004, 10:36 PM
"leadership is overrated"

Apparently not.....

DT

C-Mac
09-17-2004, 11:43 PM
I know that George was a jerk for a while, but I thought that he got humbled enough that he had mellowed during his last few years. I don't recall him being a jerk in Oakland, for example. Am I wrong about that?

Isnt that some form of an oxymoron?